Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Rarity posted:

Ngl I'm already getting hot and bothered thinking about Fiji vs. Trinidad and Tobago for an inconsequential third place in group K

tbf if Scotland can qualify for Yankmexicanada 2026 they'll have a really good chance of snatching third in their group

a great chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Wizard Master posted:

Is this more humiliating than 7-1?

I think you mean "heartbreaking" OP

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm obviously pleased that England are much better and the players eminently worthy of support but coming so close only to fall at the final hurdle cuts way deeper than getting dumped out in the round of 16 as in the previous 25 years

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

indigi posted:

first brexit, now this. there’s honestly nothing better than watching England embarrass themselves on a global stage. I hope anyone who rooted for them feels an appropriate level of shame cause England sucks poo poo lol. 🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌

Mods

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Wizard Master posted:

Is this more humiliating than 7-1?

Yes your post is more humiliating than 7-1 OP. Glad you noticed

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Why do so many people hate Pickford?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

half cocaine posted:

He killed a Liverpool player and they had to have a wake

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

half cocaine posted:

He gives away possession too easily

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

half cocaine posted:

His tiny t-rex arms costs ~~lives~~ goals.

Seriously though, he makes some fairly boneheaded mistakes sometimes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There's also an argument to be made that other English goalkeepers might be better than him (I've heard this about both Dean Henderson and Nick Pope) but that Pickford is in a self-reinforcing cycle of always getting picked for the important matches, which means he's the only English goalkeeper with big match experience, which means he keeps getting picked for the big matches and shutting out potentially better options.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Henderson is injured anyway

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Are Italians going on about how Donnarumma should be replaced and he’s not really that good or is the toxic brainworms of English club-football support a unique phenomenon?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pickford also seems to be screaming at his defenders and not in a good way. Comes across as an rear end in a top hat.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
pickford and his flushed cheeks owe me a season of big virg and i'll never forgive him for it

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Pickford doesn't look comfortable with the ball at his feet at all or passing it on the ground to his defenders. Admittedly this might just be a Southgate tactic but the number of times he just hoofed it up field and we instantly lost possession because the taller Italian defenders easily won the header must have been easily say 80% of his distrubition. It was seriously pissing me off all match because when we actually played from the back we often created something.

His distrubition and Kane's complete lack of effort to close down the player in front of him and instead walk around the pitch left me fuming. Not sure I've seen a striker put in less effort in a major game when they didn't have the ball.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pickford is good imo and until/unless he fucks up badly or someone else comes along who's markedly better than him (which Henderson is not at the moment but could be in future) he should carry on.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Vintersorg posted:

Pickford also seems to be screaming at his defenders and not in a good way. Comes across as an rear end in a top hat.

you can't be a good goalie if you don't vent to your defensive line op

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Total Meatlove posted:

Are Italians going on about how Donnarumma should be replaced and he’s not really that good or is the toxic brainworms of English club-football support a unique phenomenon?

what, no lol

The only negative thing being said about him is from us bitter Milan supporters who are still mad he's signing for PSG.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I thought Pickford was good, far from the clown show I was expecting tbh.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

imagine those penos under big sam...carroll, jarvis, morrison, johnson and samba smashing 'em in

really makes you think

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Just Chamber posted:

Pickford doesn't look comfortable with the ball at his feet at all or passing it on the ground to his defenders. Admittedly this might just be a Southgate tactic but the number of times he just hoofed it up field and we instantly lost possession because the taller Italian defenders easily won the header must have been easily say 80% of his distrubition. It was seriously pissing me off all match because when we actually played from the back we often created something.

This is something that is said about Donnarumma as well, we just didn't see it last match because he was confident working with his defenders. At Milan when he was playing with makeshift backlines he would often just send it forward directly to the opposition and because our midfielders other than Kessie are 50kg soaking wet it would just go right back. It wasn't until Kjaer and Tomori came a long that he was truly comfortable playing it out. This has a lot to do with the relationship a keeper has with his center backs and the training they have together, I think.

Donnarumma literally grew up watching Chiellini and Bonucci playing together in addition to playing with them for Italy for some time now; it matters a lot.

btw you guys should get Tomori in the national team set up more. He's very good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Pickford's the first England keeper to make me feel comfortable having him at the back in well, ever. We really don't need to drop him in favour of another Rob Green/David James/etc.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I knew donnarumma was good but this tournament has opened my eyes to just how good he is. Also he looks loving mental, which is always a plus. Also he's a loving unit.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

TheRat posted:

He killed a Liverpool player and they had to have a wake

Yes. This has nothing to do with Pickford being a twitchy keeper with a history of erratic judgment calls and errors (including a couple of glaring mistakes during the tournament that just ended). It's all fake Scouser news.

Anyway... from how I saw it, Pickford did better than I expected. He did not let the occasion get to him. He's much better for England than he is for his club and maybe this helps him kick on and get better.

Kane has this weird effect where you cannot ignore his skill set, but accommodating him seems to make the side less effective as a whole. I think Southgate needed to be quicker about subbing Kane and Sterling out when he needed to change the dynamic of a match. Easier said than done given how I don't know what he sees in training.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 12, 2021

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014
He's also just 22 which is mad

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Pretty sure he was having input from a sport psychologist which helped him calm a lot more than he'd normally be

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Pickford was great in the penalties.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pickford was very good, comparing him to Donnarumma is just unfair cos that guy is a loving GK chad and the future of goalkeeping tbh.

It was nuts how he won the final of a major international tournament completely stonefaced.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 12, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Rarity posted:

Ngl I'm already getting hot and bothered thinking about Fiji vs. Trinidad and Tobago for an inconsequential third place in group K

I may be the only person who likes the expanded world Cup, I like seeing the bizzare teams like North Korea etc and football being football, there is always the chance of an upset (I think Japan made a really good run a few years ago)

Also maybe Canada will finally loving qualify lol :smith:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Maradonna Summer posted:

He's also just 22 which is mad

I didn't realize that, that's really young for a senior goalkeeper

He's just gonna keep getting better

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Alctel posted:

I may be the only person who likes the expanded world Cup, I like seeing the bizzare teams like North Korea etc and football being football, there is always the chance of an upset (I think Japan made a really good run a few years ago)

the problem is like when you get a 32 team Euros you're basically letting more than half of the confederation in. You might as well do a tournament cup style where it's knockouts all the way down

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pickford's a decent enough keeper at the international level. Kane's position deserves more scrutiny imo. They should be able to take him off if needed. Calvert-Lewin needs a run out.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Alctel posted:

It's bad because it's not a power of 2.

If you're going to expand the World Cup from 32 you need to just go all out and smash that sucker to 64 teams.

Same with the Euros, 24 teams is stupid. 16 or 32.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Real talk they should have forcibly recalled Vardy. Do a job for your country.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Vardy working on his farm, knocking back a can of Red Bull when Southgate shows up

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

belgend posted:

the problem is like when you get a 32 team Euros you're basically letting more than half of the confederation in. You might as well do a tournament cup style where it's knockouts all the way down

Yeah less keen on expanded Euros than WC

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Slowly working our way towards a 200 team world cup where every country with a national team plays a straight knockout tournament with no seeding for the draw and everyone in at round one

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Can't wait for St. Kitts and Nevis vs. Vatican City

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jakabite posted:

Vatican City

Not sure it's fair to compete when you've got God as a 12th man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Rarity posted:

Not sure it's fair to compete when you've got God as a 12th man

Argentina did it for a bit