Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Manager asked me to come in this week for 'handover' poo poo since I'm leaving. Sat in the office until like 13:30 until my manager bothered to come out and just said hello then hosed off again. I could be finishing some projects off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, OP is definitely looking for something Kanban-y. Ideally they'd get buy in at a level high enough above them that someone can benefit from the big picture. But they can always make lanes based on where the card for the project went, and add notes when they do followups. There's enough automation in Trello that it should be able to color code or otherwise highlight projects that are getting stale.

One thing I really like when I used Trello to manage a team, was that I'd make cards for all the tasks we had (the team was maybe 5, and we had maybe 10-15 total trello cards). Friday, I'd make a column for the next week and I expected everyone to update their issues and drag them to next week. Then on Monday we'd do a stand up and it was clear if something was stale or if it was active, and everyone had some stake in touching it.

The guys full on hated it, though, they'd complain about how it "my job to manage their tasks" and they "shouldn't have to touch tickets every week since it wastes their time". It was a super toxic team and I did not like it. However that was commentary on their attitude and not on the quality of Trello.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Does anyone get these "survey" e-mails? They're scams or bullshit measures to get new leads, right?

quote:

Our client is looking for multiple decision-makers based in the US who have the authority over cloud migration for their whole company.

Your profile came up when I searched for engineering ang IT professionals on LinkedIn and I think you're a good fit for this study.

An incentive of $250 will be paid to each participant for a paid 1-hr web interview. A bonus of $150 is also available for any successful referrals from another organization.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Getting paid that much to listen to a sales pitch is an ethics violation for every place I've ever worked, but hey, the sales rep never signed that agreement so why not try!

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

xzzy posted:

Getting paid that much to listen to a sales pitch

Ah, gently caress it's a captive time share scam. I knew there was something about this. Thanks!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

alg posted:

We can't hire people outside the US and I've seen the kind of people we hire for 2nd or 3rd shift. That would just be more stressful for me than being on call at this point

My last gig had overseas staff handle any Sev1 issues but they usually just shrugged their shoulders and paged the on call US Engineer anyway.

One place I worked had an overnight guy in the NOC but he was utter poo poo. But he was the only MCSE (a requirement for some reason?) we could find locally that would work permanent 10pm-6am, M-F

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Does anyone get these "survey" e-mails? They're scams or bullshit measures to get new leads, right?

I don't think I have ever done something like that and not gotten paid. A good chunk of all my fishing tackle is paid for during the year by these, or at least use to. I find that i get more "raffles" these days then not, so I don't attend.

I figure budgets got hit because of covid or they have figured out enough rubes show up for a raffle.

Bonzo posted:

My last gig had overseas staff handle any Sev1 issues but they usually just shrugged their shoulders and paged the on call US Engineer anyway.

One place I worked had an overnight guy in the NOC but he was utter poo poo. But he was the only MCSE (a requirement for some reason?) we could find locally that would work permanent 10pm-6am, M-F

Getting bad candidates because of silly requirements is always funny.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Thanks everyone. It does look like that kanban-ish setup is what I’m looking for. It also looks like my job has no licenses for any of these, unfortunately (I work with healthcare/HIPAA data, so we’re pretty locked down for outside programs).

That said, this has given me a good starting point to either set something up physically or kludge something together using existing office programs.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sickening posted:

Getting bad candidates because of silly requirements is always funny.

Right? The city was all insurance companies and healthcare so anyone worth a poo poo had day jobs that paid well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bonzo posted:

I mean, that's the real trick right?

It's not enough to identify that you do need a 24/7 time shifted NOC, you have to actually implement it properly.

Going back to the "butts in seats in front of screens" mentality of some management, they think it's enough to simply put butts in front of screens to staff those positions. When that's your full plan for 24/7 NOC, then all you are getting is people that read alert emails and escalate. At that point, you might as well just pay for pagerduty and be done with it.

You need a comprehensive set of MOPs. You need to train properly and staff appropriate skills. You need to engage that staff as equals in the work, if all you are having them do is respond to off hours emergencies, then it's no mystery as to why they don't feel like they can operate autonomously. Staff that team to the level where you are comfortable handing off routine maintenance work and sharing the general workload of the same level of engineers that are onshore. Bring them in for project work.

It needs to be an actual full team, not just hired eyeballs to watch screens when everyone is sleeping.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I started as a "senior sysadmin" at a new place last year. Here are some gems from my experience so far:
  • Despite being a "senior sysadmin", I have almost no sysadmin access to much of anything. I don't even have read-only access to critical things like MECM logs, so I have no way to troubleshoot deployment issues.
  • Admin passwords used by IT staff are stored in plaintext in an Excel spreadsheet on the on-prem file server.
  • Until I fixed this after I started, they had no way to deploy computers remotely to people (in a god drat loving work from home pandemic no less). Every new hire was required to come on site to the office and made to stand outside the front doors while a cart with a computer connected via ethernet was rolled out to them so they could login and generate their profile for the first time. They were completely and utterly unprepared for the pandemic, and then made no attempts to do so during.
  • AD is a complete and utter disaster. Everything is still on-prem. There isn't even a standardized naming convention - it's all across the board (managers can even dictate what the username will be). They think going to Okta will fix all of their problems (it won't).
  • They use a custom database that was built-in house 20 years ago that mimics what AD does (storing user info fields), but 100x worse. The database sits between AD and apps that should normally just connect directly to AD, and then overwrites AD and/or the app.
  • Making a change in this database, such as activating MFA, involves clicking a button to activate MFA. This then sends a ticket to a separate team that manages MFA, who then manually creates the user in the MFA app. When I ask why we don't just plug directly into AD instead, I'm ignored. This is how it works for basically every other app/system in use.
  • AAD has sat unused for years and years. There's apparently a team "working on it", but I'm not allowed to even look at it.
  • A separate team manages everything. There is a separate team for the domain, a team for Google Workspace, a team for MECM, a team for the firewalls, a team for the WiFi, a team for phones, and so forth. Making any changes to these systems requires asking these teams "pretty please" over email and hoping they follow through within the week - assuming the change isn't denied.
  • Speaking of, "decisions" are made via "committees". These committees include a small subset of actual IT staff who are apparently appointed for life, because when I asked to be on one of these committees, I was told that a slot would open up when someone retires.
  • A manager in charge of the infrastructure told me flat out in a meeting that "we don't follow best practices here because they don't serve the unique needs of our users".
  • Despite a staff of only a few hundred people, about 10% of them are sysadmins. This is not a tech company.
  • They still use .bat files for everything. I handed a more senior sysadmin above me a very simple PowerShell script I threw together. They had no idea how to use it.
  • EAP-TLS is used for wifi security, which means 90% of my job is manually generating supplicant certificates and then having to deploy them manually on each computer. When I asked 6 months ago that we switch over to something sensible so I didn't have to do this, like PEAP-MSCHAPv2, I was told 6 months later that "we're still discussing a plan".
  • The network security on the ethernet is just MAC whitelisting, which also requires me to manually add each and every single device (computers, docks, phones, etc) into the system.
  • No "real" ticketing system - Jira is used for everything, using system defaults, and it's a nightmare. Not as bad as using Saleseforce though. Half of the users still call into a phone line, leave a voicemail, and then we have to manually generate a ticket for the voicemail.
As a result of all this, my job is just basically tier 1 help desk. Everything is on fire all of the time because of these broken systems, and I'm not allowed to even solve the root issues. So kinda related, but what's the best way to get laid off/fired without cause very very quickly?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

I'm currently tethering my phone to my laptop to comply with the owners decree that no smartphones are allowed on the company wifi for security reasons but I'd like to go back to not maxing out my mobile data every month. Is that even a reasonable policy? What should I do to secure BYOD smartphones?

What industry are you in? Seems like a silly policy, especially if owner has no good reasons than a vague "security". What wireless infra do you have? Many enterpise-class systems can spin up an isolated/segmented network for guests or just to be differentiated from production LAN. Or you can create a hidden SSID and just connect to that like a real shadow IT

quote:

One more question: should I use a third party RDP app like TeamViewer or can I get by with Windows tools like RDCM?

There are some limitations to the built-in tools, but Microsoft Quick Assist is a pretty good product. The biggest drawback with RDP is the user cannot see what you see, so if you're trying to show someone what to do it won't work for that.

We use Remote Assistance (through Config Manager Remote Control) for LAN clients and Connectwise Control (formerly ScreenConnect) for off-site / student remote help

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

One of the other new guys on the team I'm on just dipped after like a month with no notice for "personal reasons." I don't blame them. It really is amazing how bad some places are run. I feel like I give up a bit of my soul every time I go to a new place and get things in order, just to repeat the process a few years later. poo poo is exhausting and I don't blame anyone for jumping ship.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 12, 2021

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Lil Miss Clackamas posted:

As a result of all this, my job is just basically tier 1 help desk. Everything is on fire all of the time because of these broken systems, and I'm not allowed to even solve the root issues. So kinda related, but what's the best way to get laid off/fired without cause very very quickly?

I’m really curious how this not set off alrm bells when interviewing.

Why wouldn’t you just look for a different job and give your 2 weeks instead of wanting to get fired?

Getting fired without cause quickly, usually means you need to annoy someone in the chain of command. Your boss or one of his bosses. Just be annoying and demand 1 on 1s to address concerns you want to raise and insist you cannot do anything about any issue without talking to him. Basically start micromanaging your boss.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

One of the other new guys on the team I'm on just dipped after likes month with no notice for "personal reasons." I don't blame them. It really is amazing how bad some places are run. I feel like I give up a bit of my soul every time I go to a new place and get things in order, just to repeat the process a few years later. poo poo is exhausting and I don't blame anyone for jumping ship.

My current company is that way: Fortune 150, when I was just consulting for them it felt like they really did want to change. Now that I'm full time, its the same old uphill battle to get actual things done, instead they just keep purchasing useless and overpriced tools.

They really need to get back to basics.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Beach Bum posted:

Got FreshDesk set up today. Goddamn all the default contact poo poo is annoying. The sample tickets made me think I'd somehow got logged into someone else's profile.

I created 20+ internal tickets :suicide:

Will I be able to set up a RADIUS server type deal in AAD or will I need AADDS? I've seen conflicting reports online. I'm currently tethering my phone to my laptop to comply with the owners decree that no smartphones are allowed on the company wifi for security reasons but I'd like to go back to not maxing out my mobile data every month. Is that even a reasonable policy? What should I do to secure BYOD smartphones?

One more question: should I use a third party RDP app like TeamViewer or can I get by with Windows tools like RDCM?

IMO if you're starting fresh and using AAD use as much as that stuff as you can and avoid spinning up VMs to go legacy unless you have some critical hardware or application that NEEDS radius auth. If you do need radius and AD creating an AADS instance in azure for a DC and spinning up a server 2019 radius box is doable. Maybe there's a better way but that's what i found myself facing.

BYOD wifi stuff - many wifi solutions come with options to create a guest wifi SSID and some corralled access away from the rest of your network. Can you do that or put guest wifi on its own vlan that doesnt talk to anything other than internet?

You do want a 3rd party remote tool that can initiate admin level auth. Preferably one that supports AzureAD auth and maybe even re-connect and hook on client restart. I use splashtop for me and another tech and it's fine as a cheapo option

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LochNessMonster posted:

Why wouldn’t you just look for a different job and give your 2 weeks instead of wanting to get fired?

Getting fired without cause quickly, usually means you need to annoy someone in the chain of command. Your boss or one of his bosses. Just be annoying and demand 1 on 1s to address concerns you want to raise and insist you cannot do anything about any issue without talking to him. Basically start micromanaging your boss.

I feel like that's the answer. Keep bugging anyone and everyone about the issues you noted, and how you want to fix them. You'll either eventually get to fix them, or annoy someone enough to be let go.
But really, just find a new job, and feel free to cite your lack of ability to *do* anything as why.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I started as a "senior sysadmin" at a new place last year. Here are some gems from my experience so far:
  • Despite being a "senior sysadmin", I have almost no sysadmin access to much of anything. I don't even have read-only access to critical things like MECM logs, so I have no way to troubleshoot deployment issues.
  • Admin passwords used by IT staff are stored in plaintext in an Excel spreadsheet on the on-prem file server.
  • Until I fixed this after I started, they had no way to deploy computers remotely to people (in a god drat loving work from home pandemic no less). Every new hire was required to come on site to the office and made to stand outside the front doors while a cart with a computer connected via ethernet was rolled out to them so they could login and generate their profile for the first time. They were completely and utterly unprepared for the pandemic, and then made no attempts to do so during.
  • AD is a complete and utter disaster. Everything is still on-prem. There isn't even a standardized naming convention - it's all across the board (managers can even dictate what the username will be). They think going to Okta will fix all of their problems (it won't).
  • They use a custom database that was built-in house 20 years ago that mimics what AD does (storing user info fields), but 100x worse. The database sits between AD and apps that should normally just connect directly to AD, and then overwrites AD and/or the app.
  • Making a change in this database, such as activating MFA, involves clicking a button to activate MFA. This then sends a ticket to a separate team that manages MFA, who then manually creates the user in the MFA app. When I ask why we don't just plug directly into AD instead, I'm ignored. This is how it works for basically every other app/system in use.
  • AAD has sat unused for years and years. There's apparently a team "working on it", but I'm not allowed to even look at it.
  • A separate team manages everything. There is a separate team for the domain, a team for Google Workspace, a team for MECM, a team for the firewalls, a team for the WiFi, a team for phones, and so forth. Making any changes to these systems requires asking these teams "pretty please" over email and hoping they follow through within the week - assuming the change isn't denied.
  • Speaking of, "decisions" are made via "committees". These committees include a small subset of actual IT staff who are apparently appointed for life, because when I asked to be on one of these committees, I was told that a slot would open up when someone retires.
  • A manager in charge of the infrastructure told me flat out in a meeting that "we don't follow best practices here because they don't serve the unique needs of our users".
  • Despite a staff of only a few hundred people, about 10% of them are sysadmins. This is not a tech company.
  • They still use .bat files for everything. I handed a more senior sysadmin above me a very simple PowerShell script I threw together. They had no idea how to use it.
  • EAP-TLS is used for wifi security, which means 90% of my job is manually generating supplicant certificates and then having to deploy them manually on each computer. When I asked 6 months ago that we switch over to something sensible so I didn't have to do this, like PEAP-MSCHAPv2, I was told 6 months later that "we're still discussing a plan".
  • The network security on the ethernet is just MAC whitelisting, which also requires me to manually add each and every single device (computers, docks, phones, etc) into the system.
  • No "real" ticketing system - Jira is used for everything, using system defaults, and it's a nightmare. Not as bad as using Saleseforce though. Half of the users still call into a phone line, leave a voicemail, and then we have to manually generate a ticket for the voicemail.

I feel like a lot of these would have been things that came up in an interview no? I hope you're at least getting senior sys admin pay right? Right.....

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
On the topic of paid surveys I've been doing those things for years and score a few hundred bucks per year in Amazon gift cards. Most of them are purely web based forms, but a couple have been online interviews or message board style question and answer sessions. I have never had anyone hassle me to buy anything.

Just a day ago I spent 20 minutes talking to a rep about a security product and got a $50 gift card for it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hahahahahahahaha

well guess who just destroyed all the timelines and OKRs for half our feature teams the year. This is now gonna be months of work.

Figured out the problem at least! But in doing so revealed oh, so many more systemic issues.

Edit: tl;dr big fuckups involving key financial data for many customers, that they may or may not have noticed, with very very minimal logging

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 12, 2021

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

LochNessMonster posted:

Because it didn't come up in the interviews nor job description. The interview described it as being in charge of the system and configuration management, in collaboration with other departments, and that I'd be their point for cloud migration - and instead it was pretty much help desk from day 1. I don't think I could have predicted that, but maybe there's questions I could have asked to illuminate a potential bait-and-switch. I did know that this was mostly a dead-end job though since they flat out said there was no room for advancement in the place. I am looking for another job, but in another country that I'm planning on moving to, and international interviews are a little hard to get right now. I'm also planning to leave and do some post-pandemic traveling/soul-searching, so that coupled with the dead-end nature of the work, I'm not really tied to it.

It was more of a joke to get laid off since I'm intending on quitting anyway, but it would be nice to get paid to travel. I also just wanted to share how appallingly bad the environment was because I never saw anything so bad, even when I was doing SaaS pre- and post-sales implementations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Because it didn't come up in the interviews nor job description. The interview described it as being in charge of the system and configuration management, in collaboration with other departments, and that I'd be their point for cloud migration - and instead it was pretty much help desk from day 1. I don't think I could have predicted that, but maybe there's questions I could have asked to illuminate a potential bait-and-switch. I did know that this was mostly a dead-end job though since they flat out said there was no room for advancement in the place. I am looking for another job, but in another country that I'm planning on moving to, and international interviews are a little hard to get right now. I'm also planning to leave and do some post-pandemic traveling/soul-searching, so that coupled with the dead-end nature of the work, I'm not really tied to it.

It was more of a joke to get laid off since I'm intending on quitting anyway, but it would be nice to get paid to travel. I also just wanted to share how appallingly bad the environment was because I never saw anything so bad, even when I was doing SaaS pre- and post-sales implementations.

Clearly, there's no room for advancement because that's where people who are not very good at their jobs go to eke out a fiefdom and never change anything because that creates job security for them, so they can never be fired.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
DEVO is maybe the most garbage platform I have ever had the honor of working with. Its just so trash. One of my gigs uses it because my CISO is out of her loving mind and she knows the CISO for DEVO. We took a "discount" that was only slightly cheaper than Sentinel for a product 1/100th as ready for prime time.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

well guess who just destroyed all the timelines and OKRs for half our feature teams the year. This is now gonna be months of work.

Figured out the problem at least! But in doing so revealed oh, so many more systemic issues.

Edit: tl;dr big fuckups involving key financial data for many customers, that they may or may not have noticed, with very very minimal logging

Why do I get the feeling this will hit financial news soon? :v:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Wibla posted:

Why do I get the feeling this will hit financial news soon? :v:

It’s not anything of that magnitude, and we can totally fix it now that we know it exists.It will take time to fix, it reveals important lack of controls, but we can and will do it. This is the cost of a failure to invest in infrastructure and tech debt. Everyone gets that lesson eventually and you end up in a better place because of it.

It just goes to show you can’t avoid investing in tech debt. We’ll reap some uncomfortable lessons, do better, and make the same mistakes in 5 years when everyone involved is working someplace new.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

The Iron Rose posted:

It’s not anything of that magnitude, and we can totally fix it now that we know it exists.It will take time to fix, it reveals important lack of controls, but we can and will do it. This is the cost of a failure to invest in infrastructure and tech debt. Everyone gets that lesson eventually and you end up in a better place because of it.

It just goes to show you can’t avoid investing in tech debt. We’ll reap some uncomfortable lessons, do better, and make the same mistakes in 5 years when everyone involved is working someplace new.

But that doesn't increase profits next quarter so we can't afford to do it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I mean, that's the real trick right?

It's not enough to identify that you do need a 24/7 time shifted NOC, you have to actually implement it properly.

Going back to the "butts in seats in front of screens" mentality of some management, they think it's enough to simply put butts in front of screens to staff those positions. When that's your full plan for 24/7 NOC, then all you are getting is people that read alert emails and escalate. At that point, you might as well just pay for pagerduty and be done with it.

You need a comprehensive set of MOPs. You need to train properly and staff appropriate skills. You need to engage that staff as equals in the work, if all you are having them do is respond to off hours emergencies, then it's no mystery as to why they don't feel like they can operate autonomously. Staff that team to the level where you are comfortable handing off routine maintenance work and sharing the general workload of the same level of engineers that are onshore. Bring them in for project work.

It needs to be an actual full team, not just hired eyeballs to watch screens when everyone is sleeping.

This was a NOC and teams that provide Production App support as well.

Putting butts in seats is exactly what management wanted and part of the the reason I left. Sales and Execs get to say, "We have Follow the Sun Support", charge extra on the contracts for it, but in reality the NA person just gets woken up to deal with poo poo.

They try to show the new hires are "company growth" when in reality, head count never really increases. They loose people through attrition, re-orgs and layoffs, then go on a hiring spree when morale is low. This cycle repeats every 24-36 months and I finally smartened up.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bonzo posted:

This was a NOC and teams that provide Production App support as well.

Putting butts in seats is exactly what management wanted and part of the the reason I left. Sales and Execs get to say, "We have Follow the Sun Support", charge extra on the contracts for it, but in reality the NA person just gets woken up to deal with poo poo.

They try to show the new hires are "company growth" when in reality, head count never really increases. They loose people through attrition, re-orgs and layoffs, then go on a hiring spree when morale is low. This cycle repeats every 24-36 months and I finally smartened up.

2 jobs ago I worked for a massive MSP and they pulled the same thing. Guarantee 24/7 support for idiotic clients, a service desk/NOC that would call you for no good reason, so on-call ended up being a 24 hour shift if you let it. Personally, I started pausing SLA's on tickets and going back to bed without working on them if they weren't urgent enough or if the contract didn't specify 24/7 support, but I would write 90 minutes overtime per call for the inconvenience.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've had a reminder that when you report a problem, then you are the problem. I've never wondered why terrible situations go unresolved and fester for years, if not decades, because it's easier for leadership to attack the person who reports the problem than to deal with the actual problem.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Early in my career I worked in a NOC for a very large company. We were staffed 24/7 and our overnights consisted of one person from the operations team and one person from the support team. The operations team had a run book and could resolve certain types of issues without escalating. The production support team was basically there as an interface between the technical teams and the business teams and would handle all the communication coming out of the NOC. Whenever something unexpected blew up we (the ops team) would report it to support and their process involved immediately escalating anything out of the ordinary. So we'd be investigating something and they'd be calling their director (who was non-technical) before we even knew if there was an actual problem or what that problem was. I remember being on bridge calls at 3am where we had everything under control and the director insisted on escalating to someone on-call. Just in case.

I would think about that a lot when I was there. And it never surprised me that the place was basically a revolving door. If you were on an engineering team and your turn to go on call came up, you basically didn't come into work for that week because you were just getting harassed nonstop by the support team. I remember a specific time where a certain technical director was a major decision maker for a lot of the company. He had a planned vacation coming up. He specifically told us not to escalate to him for the next week. And the support team called him the very first day of his vacation. I remember being on a support call where we were literally just waiting for a script to finish running which would resolve an issue and they are still calling people and having them join the conference call. How does anyone not get burned out under those circumstances? Watching that sort of thing take place from the outside made me never want to work on-call again. It also taught me a lot about what effective support organizations look like.

The best lesson I ever learned from that place is what a poorly run company looks like.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

^^^^^^ I've also had the manager/director pull the, "Well I'm not technical" card. Then get the gently caress out of the way and let the people who are work on the issue without useless meetings. I get you may not be on top of all the latest poo poo but you should have a better-than-general understanding of what you are managing.

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had a reminder that when you report a problem, then you are the problem. I've never wondered why terrible situations go unresolved and fester for years, if not decades, because it's easier for leadership to attack the person who reports the problem than to deal with the actual problem.

Another reason I left. We had in house consultants logging via RDP to PROD servers with service accounts, which were also shared. OpsSec got involved and told people to stop. Then they got the SOC to send an email when such a log in was detected. What came back was pretty much "Yes, I logged in with the svc account at that time", that was it. Management had no idea why that was an issue and why I , as the Admin of the PROD instances, was so upset about it.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 13, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They wont change until they get cryptolocked.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

They wont change until they get cryptolocked.

And even then still won't change.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

CommieGIR posted:

And even then still won't change.

This is correct because insurance will pay the ransom, then CEO will give himself a bonus for saving money on not investing in security and IT.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Have any of you dealt or worked with Arctic Wolf? Management just signed a huge contract for them to be our SIEM, among other things.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Today I got a high five from a dog. That’s the most validation I’ve received at work for ages.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I manage a BIG customer, spend-wise, and they just recently moved into a new region. Some local account manager saw the uptick in regional consumption for his area, did the digging, started drooling, then started price negotiations with the customer on his own.

Never mind the fact that if he’s done a whit of internal research he’s have seen they were already a signed customer with an account team.

Never mind that said account team is currently in negotiations for a seven year, two billion dollar contract.

Never mind that their CEO heard about these two conflicting negotiations and is now wondering why we look like the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. Clearly we don’t.

Somewhere, out there, said account manager is getting their poo poo pushed in by our leadership for adding an easily avoidable wrinkle to an already batshit insane negotiation.

:munch:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:stare:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Have any of you dealt or worked with Arctic Wolf? Management just signed a huge contract for them to be our SIEM, among other things.

Two of their alumni are on my team, and they have only had great things to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Agrikk posted:

I manage a BIG customer, spend-wise, and they just recently moved into a new region. Some local account manager saw the uptick in regional consumption for his area, did the digging, started drooling, then started price negotiations with the customer on his own.

"Whatever you're currently paying, I'll beat it by 10%"

"Deal."