Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Alctel posted:

I think Japan made a really good run a few years ago

Japan-Belgium is one of my favorite games ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jakabite posted:

Can't wait for St. Kitts and Nevis vs. Vatican City

Vatican City desperately looking up ancestry for Young Boys players

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Bellingham not allowed to play against Vatican for safety reasons

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jakabite posted:

Can't wait for St. Kitts and Nevis vs. Vatican City

unironically yes, this

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Alctel posted:

I may be the only person who likes the expanded world Cup, I like seeing the bizzare teams like North Korea etc and football being football, there is always the chance of an upset (I think Japan made a really good run a few years ago)

Personally, I DO like seeing smaller teams, upsets, and do like as such that there are more possibilities for some countries to qualify.
However, I think 64 would be too much by any standards, and 32 is thus best, to create that beautiful 4 team groups 2 go on - I hate the 3 team groups 2 continue with such a burning passion, why even play 2 group games only, and the collusion possibilities can be a disaster
(well, I hope, since that's the only possibility for it to change in the future - a bit like as when Austria and Germany (?) played that intentional 0-0 to drop a third team away)

When the expansion was suggested, they had several options suggested as per the wiki:
Expand to 40 teams (8 groups of 5 teams) – 88 matches
Expand to 40 teams (10 groups of 4 teams) – 76 matches
Expand to 48 teams (opening 32-team playoff round) – 80 matches
Expand to 48 teams (16 groups of 3 teams) – 80 matches

I think that if you have to expand, what they decided was the worst of those 4 options though each one of these would have had bad things compared to what we have now.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Vatican City desperately looking up ancestry for Young Boys players

AP: VATICAN DISAPPOINTED - Young Boys found to have distinctly average median age, not so young at all

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
“forgive me father for I have sinned. I said Vatican Shity 69 times during Saturday’s MDT.”

“Go in peace my son, it’s only banter innit”

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

paddyboat posted:

“forgive me father for I have sinned. I said Vatican Shity 69 times during Saturday’s MDT.”

“Go in peace my son, it’s only banter innit”

I was at a friend's BBQ, and his uncle who's a priest was there. We were playing some nerdy card game and the uncle-priest came up to us very excited, "Are ye having a game of poker?" 'No, it's a card game about elves and..." "Oh, no poker then." And he walked away disappointed in us all and possibly questioning his very faith in god.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Twatican lovely

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I’m a mess after yesterday. Wembley was a bit much, I haven’t been around so many people since the before times. Soon as Saka missed I was straight out of the stadium and on the tube into central London.

Proud of the players, but very disappointed today with the news of racism and general violence before the game. Ultimately we didn’t deserve to win because of our fans.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

britishbornandbread posted:

I’m a mess after yesterday. Wembley was a bit much, I haven’t been around so many people since the before times. Soon as Saka missed I was straight out of the stadium and on the tube into central London.

Proud of the players, but very disappointed today with the news of racism and general violence before the game. Ultimately we didn’t deserve to win because of our fans.

What were the crowds like around London at the end? Also lol In Manchester in true English fashion it started raining about 2 minutes after it finished.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
As I say soon as Saka missed I made a beeline for the tube station. On my carriage there was some unsavoury language, one woman I think said something racist to a black passenger, and police removed her from the train. I got off at Euston Square and straight back to hotel. I didn’t see anything outside Wembley post match to write home about. When I was queuing to get in people were chancing their arm trying to get past security checks with screenshots of tickets on their phone, but I didn’t see any violence.

Train back to Manchester today, step off at Piccadilly to rain. Football didn’t come but I did.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sebzilla posted:

It's bad because it's not a power of 2.

If you're going to expand the World Cup from 32 you need to just go all out and smash that sucker to 64 teams.

Same with the Euros, 24 teams is stupid. 16 or 32.

100% this

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The only way it makes sense is if the 8 extra (or 12 for the WC) teams essentially had 'play-in' games. Like how March Madness actually has 68 teams, with 8 of those playing a preliminary game to get into the bracket proper.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Alctel posted:

I didn't realize that, that's really young for a senior goalkeeper

He's just gonna keep getting better

Or do a Joe Hart and go off a cliff at 30

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
When I went to a few games in the 2013 confederations cup, the funnest was probably Nigeria-Tahiti

People just went nuts when Tahiti managed to score.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Borsche69 posted:

The only way it makes sense is if the 8 extra (or 12 for the WC) teams essentially had 'play-in' games. Like how March Madness actually has 68 teams, with 8 of those playing a preliminary game to get into the bracket proper.

Oh word and maybe we can have selection committees and divide all the teams into conferences and create s-curves

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Borsche69 posted:

that makes sense if you're effectively going to do the FA Cup but for countries (which would be too fun to ever have)

if you're doing a tournament that's a big event like the olympics then all of the national FAs of the bad teams want options where they have as much chance of qualifying as possible and get to be involved for two weeks or so

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Perhaps if the poo poo teams wanted to qualify they should get better at football

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

reminder again that as it stands now new zealand will essentially get automatic qualification for every world cup from 2026 onwards, as long as they can beat the solomon islands

scotland will continue to fail to qualify

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reminder again that as it stands now new zealand will essentially get automatic qualification for every world cup from 2026 onwards, as long as they can beat the solomon islands

I hear that the U.S is going try and leave CONCACAF in order to join OFC by way of Guam and the Marianna Islands.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he's a good lad who means well

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1414672590468227074?s=20

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Breaks my heart that for years England had a team made up of basically the 11 biggest cunts in the country and now we have a group of top lads they are getting shat on at every opportunity by the actual government.

minema
May 31, 2011
Was telling my husband about the lad on twitter who'd been doing the World in Motion rap in the first word of all his tweets, turns out it's his colleagues husband, he's apparently being insufferable about it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/ManCity/status/1414687462400667650

:unsmith:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Breaks my heart that for years England had a team made up of basically the 11 biggest cunts in the country and now we have a group of top lads they are getting shat on at every opportunity by the actual government.

https://twitter.com/OfficialTM_3/status/1414655312074784785?s=20

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Marcus Rashford is a top lad and he doesn't need to win trophies to be a winner.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Yeah they're all great. That post has caused some tasty meltdowns

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1414696784669073409?s=19

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I'm genuinely stunned by the ability of these lads (or possibly their PR teams) to put all of these fuckers in their place in a situation where my eyes would roll back and I'd start channelling Joe Kinnear from beyond the grave

which might be seen as provocative

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

If politicians want to shitpost on twitter then they should take the bodying when they're full of poo poo (always)

This is good poo poo btw lads but for the guests still lurking please keep the conversation this side of football on the politics thanks just thanks

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Oh word and maybe we can have selection committees and divide all the teams into conferences and create s-curves

I mean, we already have what I'm describing. There's already inter-conference play-in games and UEFA has the playoff between the second best teams in each group during qualifying. The only difference here is essentially saying 'play those games here in the host country'.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

I mean, we already have what I'm describing. There's already inter-conference play-in games and UEFA has the playoff between the second best teams in each group during qualifying. The only difference here is essentially saying 'play those games here in the host country'.

Hi it sailed over your head that LLH was mocking you but let me be clear: please talk about football without theorising how American sportsrules could be applied to it thank you

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Blasmeister posted:

Or do a Joe Hart and go off a cliff at 30

Still get 8 years out of him

wtf happened to Joe Hart anyway, he was never 'great' but being ok was about as good as we could get for the longest time. Also he was massive

Bang on and it's nice to see how they all have each others backs, instead of loving each others wives etc like the 'golden' generation

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Hi it sailed over your head that LLH was mocking you but let me be clear: please talk about football without theorising how American sportsrules could be applied to it thank you

These aren't sports rules you dumbass, its tournament structure. The 48 team poo poo is stupid as hell and no one likes it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Realistically the only way to actually 'save' a 48 team WC is to just burn it to hell and either stick with 32 or expand all the way out to 64. But neither of those are gonna happen and I don't think anyone wants to see the 3 team group stage bullshit, so why not think of ways you could make 48 teams more workable.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

These aren't sports rules you dumbass, its tournament structure. The 48 team poo poo is stupid as hell and no one likes it.

It'd be nice if it went back to 32 but it won't as you say however FIFA aren't going to turn it into March Madness just because you posted about it no one here cares how American tournament rules (better?) might apply to football

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

It'd be nice if it went back to 32 but it won't as you say however FIFA aren't going to turn it into March Madness just because you posted about it no one here cares how American tournament rules (better?) might apply to football

Yeah and it aint ever coming home m8 no matter how many times you post it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

based God Tyrone Mings

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

seriously. Golden generation more like loving cunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

If politicians want to shitpost on twitter then they should take the bodying when they're full of poo poo (always)

This is good poo poo btw lads but for the guests still lurking please keep the conversation this side of football on the politics thanks just thanks

Priti Patel is literally a skin bag filled with pig poo poo.