Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure that the past... entirety of my life has done anything to disabuse me of the idea that people are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

learnincurve posted:

They used covid laws to raid an art building in an attempt to dismantle a sculpture.

Everything is fine, everything is fine, this boot leather is delicious.

lmao you are actually delusional what the christ

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

learnincurve posted:

They used covid laws to raid an art building in an attempt to dismantle a sculpture.

Everything is fine, everything is fine, this boot leather is delicious.

This is one step away from full Covid truther/antivaxxer poo poo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m not the one trusting the Tories here.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

No, but if you missed it we're still in a pandemic, one in which the Torys are giving everyone free reign from Monday

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

learnincurve posted:

My dude I don't think anyone here is trusting the people trying to micromanage an epidemic.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

learnincurve posted:

No, you're the one who confuses not being a selfish oval office with "trusting the Tories".

I can see you inherited yer auld da's brains.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Personally I hope England are banned from footballing for the next ten years.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I'm not sure if you're phrasing yourself badly here? It does come off a bit 'anti-lockdown'. I think we can all agree that the government will inevitably be keeping a lot of the powers they've got now and that's bad (police will be using COVID as an excuse for awful poo poo for a looong time), but rules and restrictions are sensible and needed. It's smart to have people require evidence of a negative test. It's also smart, however, to bypass those checks if you yourself know you have met all the requirements and not doing so would make you miss the game.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

forkboy84 posted:

No, you're the one who confuses not being a selfish oval office with "trusting the Tories".

I can see you inherited yer auld da's brains.

There were 75 fines over the whole of covid for breaking laws and all of them are being appealed. Selfish people were always going to be selfish and face no consequences. Giving the police more powers to bully and harass is never the solution to anything.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Crankit posted:

Personally I hope England are banned from footballing for the next ten years.

Nah let the boys play, just don't let anyone watch.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

learnincurve posted:

There were 75 fines over the whole of covid for breaking laws and all of them are being appealed. Selfish people were always going to be selfish and face no consequences. Giving the police more powers to bully and harass is never the solution to anything.

Can you explain how that makes what your dad did ok then?
There's no real chance of him being caught or fined so does it really matter?

Jakabite posted:

It's smart to have people require evidence of a negative test. It's also smart, however, to bypass those checks if you yourself know you have met all the requirements and not doing so would make you miss the game.

Not really

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

learnincurve posted:

Barging your way through people just trying to check that you dont have a pandemic causing disease isnt the solution to anything either.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
gently caress off with this shite I have repeatedly not defended my dad or anyone who pushed through

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Im imagining LC's dad at an airport. Smashing their way through airport security because they left it to the last minute and dont want to wait to get their passport checked.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

No but you're defending the actions of every person who bypassed the process that was in place to ensure the event was safe as possible

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jakabite posted:

It's also smart, however, to bypass those checks if you yourself know you have met all the requirements and not doing so would make you miss the game.

Disagree with that last part, because that's how you get stampedes, make it impossible for the people who are supposed to do crowd control to know who has and hasn't met the requirements, and it's the start of a football game, not the boat to get off Dunkirk.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Pushing through is definitely dumb cos it's inflicting violence on someone, but if the barrier's already gone, you've got a negative test, and you can just wander on through then I literally don't see the harm in doing that. Can anyone tell me what negative effect that will have?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Looke posted:

No but you're defending the actions of every person who bypassed the process that was in place to ensure the event was safe as possible

No I wasn’t, I was explaining that it was lax security and poor organisation at Wembley that allowed this.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
No more comical photoshoots.

https://twitter.com/davieclegg/status/1414613917330984969

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

CyberPingu posted:

Im imagining LC's dad at an airport. Smashing their way through airport security because they left it to the last minute and dont want to wait to get their passport checked.

I mean, if your looking for an example of effective and important safety procedures i dunno if post 9/11 airport security is what your looking for.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jakabite posted:

Pushing through is definitely dumb cos it's inflicting violence on someone

This is what initially triggered the massive fights that broke out correct? It's hard to not feel somebody pushing you into others or a structure as intending to crush you.

minema
May 31, 2011
Two things can be true simultaneously:

1. A small minority of fans were stupid and dangerous
2. The security and admission process was not set up well enough to deal with the blindingly obvious consequences of having England in an international final, on home ground, after a year of lockdown. (This is not a defense for the dangerous fans, but I feel it was a very predictable situation they could have been more prepared for)

Also someone asked re covid treatment still just being ventilator and hope - to some extent once someone gets that sick it is, but there are other factors. Dexamethasone is the obvious one. But also smaller things like knowing best timing for proning, knowing better how to manage oxygen saturations and clearing secretions etc have also improved since this time last year just through familiarity.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Can someone really be this naive

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think polly toynbee can certainly write an article that stupid whether she believes it or not.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
as a broader point, "actually it's the moral responsibility of the powers that be to anticipate and prevent foreseeable riots and crushes, anything less is professional negligence in allowing an insane mass to coalesce to hurt itself and others" is a fascinating inversion

for many decades the political left usually embraced a theory of rational crowd psychology - that riots express some deep-seated social relation being protested, in some set of signs/symbols understood by the rioters. Language of the unheard etc. E. P. Thompson's English Crowd, that kind of thing

it is remarkable that this seems to be flipping aisles slowly. Something something the contemporary left's inclination to cast effective protest in the form of appeals to neoliberal institutions which speak regulations and technocracy? I dunno, I'm not a collective behaviour sociologist

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Apparently the important bit in COVID safety isn't actually getting vaccinated or tested, but making sure the overworked security theatre steward sees that you have done so and gives you a nod and a pat on the back. Who knew?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Apparently the important bit in COVID safety isn't actually getting vaccinated or tested, but making sure the overworked security theatre steward sees that you have done so and gives you a nod and a pat on the back. Who knew?

Ok your right, let’s just allow anyone to go in and just act on good faith that people have tested themselves/been vaccinated

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If you'd wanted to keep your benefit money you should have donated more of it to the tory party

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's not the important bit in covid safety, it's the important bit of crowd management.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

TACD posted:

This was way back in 2008 or so but are there really fewer cops around during a match now, especially one so obviously likely to draw trouble as this?

There aren't fewer cops around but I guess Wembley events have been mostly previously very corporate placid events compared to most fixtures, even cup finals and playoffs. In fact most fixtures in West London, I don't remember any trouble at all. When United were beaten by Barcelona in 2011 there was no trouble at all and the London riots were like a month later. And even if there is violence, the police are less likely to intervene and make things worse (like they do at protests).

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Looke posted:

Ok your right, let’s just allow anyone to go in and just act on good faith that people have tested themselves/been vaccinated

If the organisers of the event are so incompetent that the rules are breaking down around them, you are under no obligation to wait there nicely and hope they remember your good behaviour when you've obeyed the requirements yourself.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If the organisers of the event are so incompetent that the rules are breaking down around them, you are under no obligation to wait there nicely and hope they remember your good behaviour when you've obeyed the requirements yourself.

Apparently these people got kicked in the head for "obeying these requirements" yet forging ahead, so I think you'd have been better off staying in line. Nothing mattered until the end of the game anyhow.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
We may have lost the football but my god there's some loving world-class contenders in the Weird Take Championship being displayed ITT.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Looke posted:

Literally no one's saying that.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jakabite posted:

Literally no one's saying that.

Actually they are

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

Actually they are

Except that isn't what they said? We're talking about the actions of the fans, not what the rules should or shouldn't be. There's a difference between 'there should be no rules' and 'if the rules have broken down and you have met your end of the bargain in terms of testing and vaxxing, to the point that the only thing you're not doing is proving that to the powers that be, there's nothing wrong with no longer following the rules'.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

CyberPingu posted:

Actually they are

That does not mean what you think it means. Are you a gimmick?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The conditions are providing evidence of vax/test

What don’t you understand, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ok yeah I think I misread that.