Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dwesa posted:

This sounds like mental illness.

He indeed might be having an episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Today is independance day. Instituted by Luka, previous one was I think in september when Shushkevich actually signed the dissolution of USSR. Here is how Belarusians celebrate in 2021

nobody fucken came except for cops.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Which one did Belarus celebrate before Lukashenko? I think there is a July date and also an August date.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It used to be July 27.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Protasevich is under house arrest and now he's back on twitter.

https://twitter.com/protas_by/status/1412767108128296963

This can only mean he's made a deal with the investigative committee, and is now going to expose the evils of opposition leaders. Unless he has something clever in mind, but after the press conference, it's very unlikely. The replies are already full of staunch Lukashenko supporters with 0 followers. Extremely inconspicuous.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1413452933354561541

Will any of this make a difference?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Meantime in Russia.

'The Taliban movement (banned in Russia) delegation press conference in Moscow'

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
In case anyone wondering - yes, actual terrorist group 'diplomats' flew to Russia capital and are holding a diplomatic event.
No arrests, nothing.
They are not exposing government corruption after all, no need to take action!

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Erulisse posted:

In case anyone wondering - yes, actual terrorist group 'diplomats' flew to Russia capital and are holding a diplomatic event.
No arrests, nothing.

What? How? Why?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Supposedly they’re there on invitation from special consul on Afghanistan of Russia, to discuss potential spillover of likely ramping tensions across borders with neighbouring nations.

Paladinus posted:

Meantime in Russia.

'The Taliban movement (banned in Russia) delegation press conference in Moscow'

Естественно осуждаю, но иначе довольно занимательно конечно. :smug:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Erulisse posted:

No arrests, nothing.

You realize that American diplomats also met with the Taliban correct?

The US, for the record, does not recognize the Taliban as a terrorist group as

quote:

In the case of the Taliban, the deterring factor has long been a concern that applying the terror label to the group would restrict U.S. and Afghan government diplomatic contacts with the Taliban, making peace talks more difficult.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 9, 2021

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Dropping into the Eastern Europe thread to inform Eastern Europeans talking about Eastern Europe, "but what about the United States"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Vasukhani posted:

The US, for the record, does not recognize the Taliban as a terrorist group as
"We don't negotiate with terrorists" means "If we negotiate with them, they're not terrorists" apparently.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Somaen posted:

Dropping into the Eastern Europe thread to inform Eastern Europeans talking about Eastern Europe, "but what about the United States"

If a country that has been at war with a group for two decades decides its time to meet, it doesn't seem too shocking that a country which conflict with the Taliban consisted of one joint airbase and rumors of fighters in the the Caucasus would. What else would you suggest? Afghanistan is almost Russia's neighborhood.

Taliban officials have also met with Indian and Chinese officials. It seems like an absolutely absurd thing to condemn Russia for.

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2021/7/7/why-did-india-open-a-backchannel-to-the-taliban
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-afghanistan-taliban-china/afghanistans-taliban-meets-chinese-government-in-beijing-idUSKBN1W70I3

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 9, 2021

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Vasukhani posted:

If a country that has been at war with a group for two decades decides its time to meet, it doesn't seem too shocking that a country which conflict with the Taliban consisted of one joint airbase and rumors of fighters in the the Caucasus would. What else would you suggest? Afghanistan is almost Russia's neighborhood.

Taliban officials have also met with Indian and Chinese officials. It seems like an absolutely absurd thing to condemn Russia for.

I don't give a gently caress what the US does. The context of the outrage is that Russia has been using the terrorist label in a legal way to gently caress over non-Kremlin controlled parties (e.g. Navalny's movement) and persecute people related to it, and in a propaganda way against other movements like the Syrian opposition being all labelled as Al Queda to justify the war crimes there. One independant trying to get elected is trying to get Lavrov to get banned from the elections because he met with representatives of a terrorist organization, which is exactly what happened with people dealing with the network of Navalny's regional offices: https://www.dw.com/ru/litvinovich-trebuet-ne-dopuskat-er-k-vyboram-iz-za-vstrech-lavrova-s-talibami/a-58215792

quote:

"Согласно закону об "Основных гарантиях избирательных прав" в выборах не могут участвовать люди, которые связаны с такого рода организациями", - написала Литвинович. "Считаю, что все встречи, проведенные Лавровым с группировкой "Талибан" (запрещенная в РФ организация) являются основанием для того, чтобы не регистрировать список "Единой России", - добавила она.

При этом Марина Литвинович напомнила, что недавно похожие решения были приняты в отношении Ильи Яшина и Олега Степанова.

Главе муниципального округа Красносельский Яшину избирком запретил участвовать в выборах в Мосгордуму, поскольку он, по версии комиссии, признан "лицом, причастным к экстремистской деятельности".

Экс-координатору команды оппозиционера - Алексея Навального - Олегу Степанову избирком и Мосгорсуд также не дали открыть избирательные счета, связав его с запрещенной в РФ структурой.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m not sure why this needs to be said, but Taliban conversation is about Russian government and bears no relevance to actual Afghanistan affairs. The initial post did very transparently poke at Russian government’s habit of declaring everything from the Taliban to Hesburger a terrorist organisation.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Somaen posted:

I don't give a gently caress what the US does. The context of the outrage is that Russia has been using the terrorist label in a legal way to gently caress over non-Kremlin controlled parties (e.g. Navalny's movement) and persecute people related to it, and in a propaganda way against other movements like the Syrian opposition being all labelled as Al Queda to justify the war crimes there. One independant trying to get elected is trying to get Lavrov to get banned from the elections because he met with representatives of a terrorist organization, which is exactly what happened with people dealing with the network of Navalny's regional offices: https://www.dw.com/ru/litvinovich-trebuet-ne-dopuskat-er-k-vyboram-iz-za-vstrech-lavrova-s-talibami/a-58215792

Oh well that makes sense, thank you. Now imaging a comedy world of a more legalistic russian government where putin is quietly informed he can no longer participate in the government.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Then isn't this a good omen that Putin might negotiate with Navalny? :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Nope, if anything it just underscore that rules are their to uphold their interests, not to constrain them.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Nenonen posted:

And then is removed from power for his connections to known terror groups.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m not sure why this needs to be said, but Taliban conversation is about Russian government and bears no relevance to actual Afghanistan affairs. The initial post did very transparently poke at Russian government’s habit of declaring everything from the Taliban to Hesburger a terrorist organisation.

It was more the "What? How? Why?" that led me astray, as if meeting with the new government of Afghanistan Taliban was somehow unprecedented after every other significant state has done it.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 9, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
double post, but good place to ask I guess.

Anyone here get sputnik? trying to convince moscow based friend that he should. He said there was a lot of uptick recently since they've required it to go to bars, lol.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 10, 2021

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Vasukhani posted:

Anyone here get sputnik? trying to convince moscow based friend that he should. He said there was a lot of uptick recently since they've required it to go to bars, lol.

Wife's a covid doctor.
Try to get KoviVac if you can, but vaccinate anyway, sputnik seems to be allright now. 'Sputnik lite' is decent too for the one shot that it is (3 weeks to 3 months or something).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vasukhani posted:

Sputnik is perfectly fine. Everyone I know who vaccinated with it got their antibodies. It just works, I don't know what else to say.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Sputnik is perfectly fine. Everyone I know who vaccinated with it got their antibodies. It just works, I don't know what else to say.

I know it works, the guy just "doesn't feel the need to yet." He's a STEM grad student btw, they've really managed to do a number on the roll out with the whole public trust thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The evidence on Sputnik and Sinovac's way more equivocal than other vaccines, but none of them appear harmful and you should grab whichever one you can get access to.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Vasukhani posted:

The only bad thing about the Sputnik vaccine is that the adenovirus used to communicate with your body might not be disactivated due to manufacturing issues. So you might get an adenovirus infection. This is riskier than it should be, but practically not risky. Certainly not dangerous like say... Catching covid.

You should think of this like the cowpox virus in the smallpox vaccine. So it's a virus and you might get an infection but it's so much less dangerous than what you're vaccinating against that you're stupid if you don't take it (of course the better option if available is an mRNA vaccine)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/pudlashuk/status/1414018459978158082?s=21

I’ll allow it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

frankenfreak posted:

"We don't negotiate with terrorists" means "If we negotiate with them, they're not terrorists" apparently.

International law recognizes non-government combatants (guerillas of all sorts, armed groups controlling some territory without being recognized as official governments etc.) as valid subjects for applying the principles of IL, so there's absolutely nothing irregular about US or any other diplomats meeting with representatives of a group that is not recognized as representing any sovereign government. If anything, it's the insistence that any armed subject that isn't tied to a recognized government is a terrorist group that must be treated as anathema is a dangerous aberration, and a product of internalized Bush-era rhetoric.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Some great news to start the week - Maia Sandu's party in Moldova won an outright majority and won't have to go into a coalition with one of the weird oligarch parties

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
how is Maia Sandu winning "great news"?

like, sure everyone else in the country sucks, but mrs "lets mortgage whats left of the country off to the imf and world bank" is about the worst case scenario for a small country like Moldova

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 12, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

how is Maia Sandu winning "great news"?

Depends on your perspective. She wants Moldova to join EU, so it’s fairly good news for European integration proponents. Incidentally, doing so would substantially help Moldova on the other fronts of her platform, corruption prevention and economic development.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Depends on your perspective. She wants Moldova to join EU, so it’s fairly good news for European integration proponents. Incidentally, doing so would substantially help Moldova on the other fronts of her platform, corruption prevention and economic development.

joining the EU is rarely good news for small poor countries, and that platform is just generic buzzwords. being "against corruption" or being "pro economic development" is what you say when you don't actually want to be honest about your platform.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/66181

a nice non-threating article there Putin.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

joining the EU is rarely good news for small poor countries, and that platform is just generic buzzwords. being "against corruption" or being "pro economic development" is what you say when you don't actually want to be honest about your platform.

I’m from a small, poor Eastern European country that joined EU in identical circumstances, and it has worked out great for us. On that note, “anti-corruption” platforms generally mean fairly specific stuff in Eastern Europe, since nearly all of us have or have had identically structured public governance issues rooted in nepotism or oligarchy.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 12, 2021

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Hmm yes truly. Great insight there "anti-corruption politicians are islamophobic Nazi demons" guy. EU is bad, proven by the last 30 years of countries in the EU and outside of it

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m from a small, poor Eastern European country that joined EU in identical circumstances, and it has worked out great for us. On that note, “anti-corruption” platforms generally mean fairly specific stuff in Eastern Europe, since nearly all of us have of have had identically structured public governance issues rooted in nepotism or oligarchy.

tbf Latvia is actually in a much better position that Moldova on that regard, no real territorial disputes plus nearly double the gdp per capita when it joined. Moldova is definitely a test of the flexibility of the EU if it joins.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Somaen posted:

Hmm yes truly. Great insight there "anti-corruption politicians are islamophobic Nazi demons" guy.

nah just the one that domes women in burqas in their political ads
sorry your hero did that

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would Moldova have much support to join in the EU now? The net contributors dont want another hungry mouth and the net recipients dont want to have to cut the pie into smaller sliced. I assume Romania would support them though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/66181

a nice non-threating article there Putin.

Thanks for taking the time to present your movie script, Vova. We will review it promptly and let you know if our studio can help you by the end of this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

tbf Latvia is actually in a much better position that Moldova on that regard, no real territorial disputes plus nearly double the gdp per capita when it joined. Moldova is definitely a test of the flexibility of the EU if it joins.

Calling Abrene a fake territorial dispute is a bit a of a stretch, but it’s nowhere near Transnistria for sure. On the other hand, especially back in early naughts we had significantly more culturally divided society.

Either way, if Albania and North Macedonia are doing okay on the accession front - the latter having to change its name and may also end up with figurative concessions to the clowns presiding over Bulgaria - and if Gibraltar’s Brexit story was resolved without noteworthy drama, I’m sure the Moldovan case is not mission impossible.

Baudolino posted:

Would Moldova have much support to join in the EU now? The net contributors dont want another hungry mouth and the net recipients dont want to have to cut the pie into smaller sliced. I assume Romania would support them though.

More likely than not, there are significant currents within more influential EU member states to incorporate all of the Balkans region into it ~eventually~, in part as means of tacit econocultural warfare against Russia or China. With Turkey sure, the question is if Germany and France want to admit someone as large into the union, as that could significantly alter the EP power balance. For anything on this side of Bosporous, in my opinion, the primary question should be if there are any unresolved grievances of national character between the existing member states and a potential candidate.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 12, 2021