Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i..... don't hate this

Poe's Law has come to automotive design, parodies are more reasonable than reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Powershift posted:

Nobody gonna be laughing at the BMW X9 and X11

They would sell so many of these things. This is actually pretty good looking. An Escalade competitor from Welt (by way of Spartanburg, SC) could be kind of awesome :shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean that's literally just a Nissan Armada with a kidney grille shopped on

Unless that's :thejoke:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Mercedes is the one rebadging Nissans, BMW would slap some kidneys on a Sequoia and sell it for double.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bmw fans: this brand has completely lost its way
also bmw fans: where's my bmw 9-7x??

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Data Graham posted:

yeah I immediately noticed this and I'm still really upset, as if it's real

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I noticed this too and I kind of hated myself for maybe even thinking "you know, that's not bad."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

to find its way, BMW must first fully lose its way

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

You all have been stockholmed bad by the grilles, that thing is terrible. Repent!

e: based on how many armadas and the horrible infinity version of them are around, they'd sell a billion of them

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Not necessarily conflicting positions.

At the luxury end of the spectrum big SUVs make perfect sense. All the same interior features, more space, more headroom, more suspension travel, and the negatives don't really matter to the owner. I'm honestly surprised it took as long as it did for the X7 to happen.

Where BMW has lost their way IMO is at the small and sporty end of the spectrum. M-badged SUVs and front wheel drive on anything wearing a roundel, those are travesties.

edit: I want this BMW back

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 13, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
2 hours to go and its already at 23k

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-bmw-328-18/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Already eclipsed the last lemans blue one in price

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

People are loving stupid man

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

wolrah posted:

Not necessarily conflicting positions.

At the luxury end of the spectrum big SUVs make perfect sense. All the same interior features, more space, more headroom, more suspension travel, and the negatives don't really matter to the owner. I'm honestly surprised it took as long as it did for the X7 to happen.

Where BMW has lost their way IMO is at the small and sporty end of the spectrum. M-badged SUVs and front wheel drive on anything wearing a roundel, those are travesties.

edit: I want this BMW back

I hear ya, but I'm not too sure about losing their way though? I mean, last month I ordered an absurdly fast RWD 4 door sedan with 3 pedals in TYOOL 2021. BMW and Chrysler may be the only 2 manufacturers building something like this? If placating the market with X3Ms and FWD 1-series allows them to keep iterating on the more traditional M cars then no complaints from me.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Me earlier: "Maybe I do want a beater wagon."
Me now: "Who the gently caress is paying $30k for a 10+ year old, step-above-an-econobox, wagon!?"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^rich people?

Bape Culture posted:

People are loving stupid man

you should see how crazy e90m3 prices have gone up in the past year

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Most stuff has gone parabolic and it seems like it started in Jan/Feb this year

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BraveUlysses posted:

you should see how crazy e90m3 prices have gone up in the past year

Not enough imo (E90 M3-haver)

And 38 grand for that wagon just lmao.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pulled the dumb car out. Forgot how funny actual race brakes are. Immediately almost died on 100 miles of standing water and cup 2s ftw.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Well I’m glad I got mine for $15k!!!!! less than that hammer holy gently caress

That being a god drat fortune makes me feel better good loving lord

Gonna spend money doing msport stuff and intake manifold and even a repaint and I think it would still break even good lord

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 13, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao absolutely nuts

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Congratulations to all the people who didn't win that auction

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Big Jesus posted:

Congratulations to all the people who didn't win that auction

For some of these BAT auctions, I wonder how long it takes people to realize after the car shows up that they spent $$$ on a 10+ year old deferred maintenance project.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Blame Pyrrhus posted:

I hear ya, but I'm not too sure about losing their way though? I mean, last month I ordered an absurdly fast RWD 4 door sedan with 3 pedals in TYOOL 2021. BMW and Chrysler may be the only 2 manufacturers building something like this? If placating the market with X3Ms and FWD 1-series allows them to keep iterating on the more traditional M cars then no complaints from me.

Yeah, I don’t understand why people are making GBS threads on a company that’s still making the cars that car people love. Aside from Chrysler, there’s almost nothing in the sports sedan segment worth buying anymore. The fact that BMW still has multiple products that are worth buying and aren’t just minor tweaks on a 25 year old Mercedes taxi chassis is something that doesn’t get enough credit. The market left us a long time ago folks.

I’m in as long as BMW is making RWD sports sedans that don’t make me feel like life is over because I have to take my kid to school every morning. I don’t give a poo poo how many X8s and 230 msport grand coupes they have sell to idiots to fund cars like the M340 and M3.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man I *wish* I could buy a brand new 25 year old car from almost any maker lmfao. It came up in CA but one of the things about Harley is that you can literally buy the same bike they made 30-40-50 years ago with almost zero changes. And that’s really dumb in some ways but man that’s most of what I really do want out of cars.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Can the M340's and others that suffer be "de-farted" somehow.

Benz E-class and A6 are still great mid sized sedans - but I'd way rather have a nice boring BMW interior and iDrive (despite the dumb new gauges)

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

TheBacon posted:

Man I *wish* I could buy a brand new 25 year old car from almost any maker lmfao. It came up in CA but one of the things about Harley is that you can literally buy the same bike they made 30-40-50 years ago with almost zero changes. And that’s really dumb in some ways but man that’s most of what I really do want out of cars.

Yeah but look how that’s working out for Harley. If they survive at this point it’s gonna be a miracle. I suspect that the reason they’re removing the HD branding from the livewire and the ebikes is so that they can eventually sell them/spin them off on their own for cash as they figure out how to not piss off their boomer gravy train as it slowly dies out while getting people under 60 to buy their crap. At least their new adventure bike is getting good reviews and is competitively priced.

People who post on car forums want car makers to build brand new, certified pre-owned, RWD, manual transmission brown wagons and Miata clones. The few times car makers have thrown a bone to enthusiasts in the last decade they haven’t exactly been rewarded handsomely. It turns out that mouthy car forum posters demand everything and buy nothing.

I think people who bitch don’t realize how dead fun cars are and should thank their lucky stars companies like Porsche, BMW and Dodge still exist.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Keyser_Soze posted:

Can the M340's and others that suffer be "de-farted" somehow.

Benz E-class and A6 are still great mid sized sedans - but I'd way rather have a nice boring BMW interior and iDrive (despite the dumb new gauges)

coding

but why?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

kronix posted:

Yeah but look how that’s working out for Harley. If they survive at this point it’s gonna be a miracle. I suspect that the reason they’re removing the HD branding from the livewire and the ebikes is so that they can eventually sell them/spin them off on their own for cash as they figure out how to not piss off their boomer gravy train as it slowly dies out while getting people under 60 to buy their crap. At least their new adventure bike is getting good reviews and is competitively priced.

People who post on car forums want car makers to build brand new, certified pre-owned, RWD, manual transmission brown wagons and Miata clones. The few times car makers have thrown a bone to enthusiasts in the last decade they haven’t exactly been rewarded handsomely. It turns out that mouthy car forum posters demand everything and buy nothing.

I think people who bitch don’t realize how dead fun cars are and should thank their lucky stars companies like Porsche, BMW and Dodge still exist.

I mean ya the problem is I haven’t ever really wanted a Harley, but actually have been warming up to it more lately! Also that I view bikes as appliances and cars as a thing I’m really passionate about which is very broke brain and backwards

But sure I shout a lot, I just don’t have the infinite money to vote with my wallet, I do in the markets that my wallet can actually have pull though. Because ya if I had the money I’d be buying the new lotus in a heartbeat, god bless lotus.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

And 38 grand for that wagon just lmao.

Jesus Christ. You can(or could a while back) get a decently sorted mid mileage f80 for that. I love me some wagons but that’s not even a choice for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the E91 is not fun enough for that kind of money when you could buy both a fun car AND a practical daily driver for that money goddamn

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

Jesus Christ. You can(or could a while back) get a decently sorted mid mileage f80 for that. I love me some wagons but that’s not even a choice for me.

Plus whatever for a manual conversion and then I guess xdelete. Also hydraulic steering if you want to get into the super dumb nerd poo poo (it me)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the E91 is not fun enough for that kind of money when you could buy both a fun car AND a practical daily driver for that money goddamn

Man I don’t know. I am having a loving blast with mine, and the fact that like running NA miatas in remotely decent condition were going for close to $10k when I was exploring the other options making sure this is what I wanted. Thought $23k is far from $38k

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 14, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can legitimately buy, for example, a low mileage Mazda 3 hatchback and a Cayman S for that kind of money.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Blue On Blue posted:

coding

but why?

obnoxious popping and farting is soooo 2019 and played out :colbert:

My 2016 F10 535 with the sport exhaust does it just a tiny bit, which is fine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
guys you can't find good Cayman S or f80s for that price

used prices are so hosed now that 2017 brzs sell for 30k

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bought Cayman S for a little more than half what that wagon went for, can recommend.

Looked at BMWs in the <40k range and other than a S54 clown shoe nothing really stood out as a fun daily driver that I would enjoy taking to the track occasionally.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Does anyone know how much BMW Classic asks for a full restoration?
I've only seen photos of their work and their website doesn't help either

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A restoration of your E91 wagon that you want to get $75k for on Bring A Ton of cash, or for a good car?

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.
Makes me wonder if I should just sell my '88 635CSi. I mean, I have an M235i to drive every day now, and I could use the money after this last year. Are they getting decent money right now? It's a tough call because I hate the selling process SO much, and the thing has been sitting for months and probably needs a tune up. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Jackie the Mick posted:

Makes me wonder if I should just sell my '88 635CSi. I mean, I have an M235i to drive every day now, and I could use the money after this last year. Are they getting decent money right now? It's a tough call because I hate the selling process SO much, and the thing has been sitting for months and probably needs a tune up. Ugh.
Nearly everything is going for decent money right now, good CSi seem to be pulling 20-25k pretty easily - https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e24/

I keep thinking about selling but then I go drive them and the thought goes away. I'd consider trading for higher mileage driver or race car.