Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I had one that was even simpler than that: we now require two factor identification for most things on our network, which is fine for the most part, but when I had a new hire, he couldn’t access his work emails for a week because IT kept sending the authorisation code he needed to his work email

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I love walking into my office in the morning to a laptop that's been rebooted remotely for some kind of update, trying to remember what I had open and if I had saved everything I needed to.

edit: not really 'saved' I guess since everything autosaves but I always have multiple IntelliJ's running with dev environments and such and open SQL editors etc it's frustrating

MattO fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 12, 2021

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

My work always nags us about booking Christmas leave, even though the stated cutoff to have it submitted is usually sometime in mid-November.

This year I got the nag email today. "I know it’s July but it’s also worth getting your AL + Bonus Leave requests in as early as possible too."

Why is it worth booking my leave as early as possible? It isn't! It doesn't benefit me in any way to book it so early!

one of the places I worked at had it set where if you had a vacation booked it would deduct the hours from your PTO right then, despite the fact we accrued it per pay period

if you had something booked and got sick and you didn't have enough in your bank guess what got cancelled to "cover" your absence!

guess how many vacations I got to take being immune compromised and having an older coworker who had grandkids over all time to her place and couldn't cover her mouth coughing to save her life

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I love these hosed up little corpo logic puzzles

Your corporate connectivity is broken. Please log on to the company intranet to connect with IT. You need corporate connectivity to access the intranet. There is a phone number for IT, but it is not answered and states that the voice-mail box is full. What do you do?

I go left of course!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Boiled Water posted:

I go left of course!

You are eaten by a Workgroup

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Volmarias posted:

You are eaten by a Workgroup Vogon

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Your corporate connectivity is broken. Please log on to the company intranet to connect with IT. You need corporate connectivity to access the intranet. There is a phone number for IT, but it is not answered and states that the voice-mail box is full. What do you do?

Meet expectations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I love these hosed up little corpo logic puzzles

Touch Base.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is that a situation for “pinging” an email?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Promote synergy.

Or, just read the lyrics to this song verbatim:

Mission Statement by Weird Al

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
It's now 10 weeks since I asked for a ram upgrade on my workstation (I only have 8 gigs).
So far the following groups have been involved:
-Procurement
-Purchasing
-IT
-Management
-Senior management

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

manpurse posted:

It's now 10 weeks since I asked for a ram upgrade on my workstation (I only have 8 gigs).
-Procurement
-Purchasing
-IT
-Management
-Senior management

Only five groups? Sounds like you guys have really streamlined the process!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I love* how there are fundamental problems with the processes that I have to use for work every day that could be easily solved and make my job far easier or even unnecessary in places (letting me focus on what I was actually hired to do), but the people responsible for the same processes consistently refuse to allow any improvements to be made whatsoever, to the point of having to hire multiple people to do what an automated script is already partially in place to do because of abject refusal to get a feature working that already did in the past. Plus acknowledging additional problems and putting them on the radar means you're responsible for them now, whereas as long as they go unacknowledged you aren't blamed, and since acknowledging them will not result in anything being fixed nobody wants to take the blame.

* I don't love it. It erodes my will to live. I am trying to get the gently caress out of here before it finishes destroying my mental health.

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

My job is bullshit they won't even let me drink a cold beer while I'm driving the forklift even though the drat thing HAS A loving CUP HOLDER and IT'S loving HOT OUT

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

manpurse posted:

-Procurement
-Purchasing
-IT
-Management
-Senior management

Picturing lots of very important people in suits gathering at a UN-style roundtable for months to discuss spending $45 on another 8GB stick of RAM.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Scientastic posted:

I had one that was even simpler than that: we now require two factor identification for most things on our network, which is fine for the most part, but when I had a new hire, he couldn’t access his work emails for a week because IT kept sending the authorisation code he needed to his work email

Back in March two of our contractors had their profiles mistakenly deleted, and 12 others had the same thing happen to them across the company. It took until May for our IT people to figure it out and reconstruct their profiles, but IT uses your work email to contact you and track your trouble tickets. Because their profiles were deactivated the people who got hit by this couldn't see what was happening and weren't aware there was a fix for two additional weeks because they only told them the accounts were active again through the company email they had been told was dead.

manpurse posted:

-Procurement
-Purchasing
-IT
-Management
-Senior management

It's one of the nice things about being in this group, we'll just buy things on overhead if employees need it. I'm presently trying to get a 49" curved monitor on order for a new hire because IT tops out at a 32" flatscreen. It's about a thousand times easier to get something you want/need technology wise on this team than any part of the rest of the company simply because we aren't limited by the IT catalog and don't have to get two levels of management and wait for IT to come install a monitor or something. It took so long for me to get a second monitor from IT that I forgot I had requested one (technically two so I could have two large monitors, but apparently IT would only deliver one monitor per ticket, even if you put in a different quantity on the ticket). I wouldn't trust our IT to get additional RAM ever.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
if you cant do your job because of IT issues then you can just sit back and collect paychecks until theyre resolved. if anyone asks why your work isnt done, it's time to pass that buck baby

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

thathonkey posted:

if you cant do your job because of IT issues then you can just sit back and collect paychecks until theyre resolved. if anyone asks why your work isnt done, it's time to pass that buck baby

Thats where I'm at. I was given a loaner laptop with limited software when I started, despite the fact they've been trying to bring me on board for like two months. Fine whatever, but its going to take a month to get my real laptop, and the chances of that laptop having all the software I need seems to be getting smaller by the day. Sent an update email earlier today that amounted to "Got nothing to show, asked for stuff I need, still waiting".

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

thathonkey posted:

"All right, there's the door, don't come back tomorrow."

That's how at-will employment actually makes that one work out. At least in my experience. "Hey, I'm gonna do jack poo poo and blame someone else" has historically resulted in pretty immediately cutting that person even if they have a perfectly valid reason.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 12, 2021

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Last year a co-worker bricked an old router and I had some idea of how to unbrick it. Being COVID-time, we were both WFH so he shipped me the router and told accounting about the inventory transfer.

I had only received the equipment an hour before I got a curt message from accounting that I NEEDED to update my inventory for them. I ignored it; this was a broken router who cares? My schedule was quickly filling up and it didn't look like I could even get an hour or two with it for the next few weeks anyway.

The next day the accounting drone got aggressive with, "Did you not get my message yesterday? You need to update your inventory NOW!"

The date wasn't at the end of the month or quarter, and the equipment wasn't a $5000 server; it was a drat Linksys router from like 6 years ago that didn't even work.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cheesus posted:

Last year a co-worker bricked an old router and I had some idea of how to unbrick it. Being COVID-time, we were both WFH so he shipped me the router and told accounting about the inventory transfer.

I had only received the equipment an hour before I got a curt message from accounting that I NEEDED to update my inventory for them. I ignored it; this was a broken router who cares? My schedule was quickly filling up and it didn't look like I could even get an hour or two with it for the next few weeks anyway.

The next day the accounting drone got aggressive with, "Did you not get my message yesterday? You need to update your inventory NOW!"

The date wasn't at the end of the month or quarter, and the equipment wasn't a $5000 server; it was a drat Linksys router from like 6 years ago that didn't even work.

*Item lost in transit*

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol the "Learn" site that my company HR was so excited to share with everyone that we would "love" apparently has assignments. It sent me an email saying that I was overdue on one.

The one I was overdue on? How to use the site. And then I was "assigned" a course on how to use LastPass. I honestly wish I just never did it because what a waste of loving time and resources and it would be hilarious to just let it be overdue for months or years.

It's just a complete ripoff of the Salesforce trailhead system.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Lazyfire posted:

It's one of the nice things about being in this group, we'll just buy things on overhead if employees need it. I'm presently trying to get a 49" curved monitor on order for a new hire because IT tops out at a 32" flatscreen. It's about a thousand times easier to get something you want/need technology wise on this team than any part of the rest of the company simply because we aren't limited by the IT catalog and don't have to get two levels of management and wait for IT to come install a monitor or something. It took so long for me to get a second monitor from IT that I forgot I had requested one (technically two so I could have two large monitors, but apparently IT would only deliver one monitor per ticket, even if you put in a different quantity on the ticket). I wouldn't trust our IT to get additional RAM ever.

I feel compelled to ask. Why do they need a 49" monitor?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol the "Learn" site that my company HR was so excited to share with everyone that we would "love" apparently has assignments. It sent me an email saying that I was overdue on one.

The one I was overdue on? How to use the site. And then I was "assigned" a course on how to use LastPass. I honestly wish I just never did it because what a waste of loving time and resources and it would be hilarious to just let it be overdue for months or years.

It's just a complete ripoff of the Salesforce trailhead system.

Someone in HR has staked not just their career but their sense of self worth on this e-learning platform

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Volmarias posted:

Someone in HR has staked not just their career but their sense of self worth on this e-learning platform

Yes and I know exactly who it is, and yes they're a complete hack who is just making projects for themselves to think they're worth something to this company

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Only five groups? Sounds like you guys have really streamlined the process!

It was one of the things I kind of liked about working for a smallish family run business (~250 people) was I could just ask the head IT guy for a thing, he would say 'do you have a business reason for this?', and then you would get it.

The thing I didn't like that company was that they were literal cult members, only promoted people who'd been there 20+ years, and made you dress like a loving mormon even if you were WFH (my camera 'broke' they day that dictat came down from management and I continued working in slippers, hoodies and my underpants)

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

"All right, there's the door, don't come back tomorrow."

That's how at-will employment actually makes that one work out. At least in my experience. "Hey, I'm gonna do jack poo poo and blame someone else" has historically resulted in pretty immediately cutting that person even if they have a perfectly valid reason.

I am in a union (which is why every department needs to get involved, can't steal someone else's work), and the most senior person in my role. I will pretty much have to kill someone/stop working for a few months to get fired.
I have an "IT issues" on my billing tracker that usually gets hit for between $250-500 a week. I'm guessing this stick of ram is going to hit over $5000 in overhead charges soon.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

manpurse posted:

FWIW on the IT side, every ticket I've ever seen requesting more ram or a faster system is because they were doing completely stupid. Like the person who was trying to open 2GB excel files.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

WonkyBob posted:

Apparently the guy had one in his last job and liked that over having two monitors for reasons. Dell has a glass shortage so it's going to be like six months before he can have what he wants.

Crackbone posted:

FWIW on the IT side, every ticket I've ever seen requesting more ram or a faster system is because they were doing completely stupid. Like the person who was trying to open 2GB excel files.

It took almost a year of me dealing with two GB of RAM and my main job was manipulating NX files. They then gave my computer with 8GB to someone else by mistake and I had another five months before I got an upgrade.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Crackbone posted:

My computer has about 7 bloatware programs forced onto it that we cant shut off. We use mcafee antivirus and internet explorer. My computer takes ~17 minutes to start up and load all of this trash. IT remoted in to my pc to update a piece of software (we’re not allowed to update software) and he got so mad at how long it took he gave me his login credentials so I could do it. we’re a multi billion company spread across Canada and the USA and recorded our highest profits ever last year.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Crackbone posted:

I sometimes need to have up to 10 Excel files, 50 pdf and a browser open at the same time and I don't need a, er, Computer toucher to tell me what to do!!

No but for real I do please give me more RAM.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Once a day I have to pull a bunch of stuff from like four tabs and use the snipping tool to drop pictures of the information into a PowerPoint. My laptop somehow struggles with this and I can’t get a new one.

One of my coworkers just ate a term for time theft. It looks like she was leaving without clocking out and then submitting a missed punch ticket for the time she was supposed to leave. We told her she couldn’t even clock in from the parking lot because they crack down on it so hard. Now she has to deal with like 19k in signing bonus/relocation money claw backs. How the gently caress do you do the easiest to catch “please fire me” poo poo in the world when you’ve got that much financial damage hovering over your head? :psyduck:

Oh, hey, maybe I can get her laptop.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

manpurse posted:

My computer has about 7 bloatware programs forced onto it that we cant shut off. We use mcafee antivirus and internet explorer. My computer takes ~17 minutes to start up and load all of this trash. IT remoted in to my pc to update a piece of software (we’re not allowed to update software) and he got so mad at how long it took he gave me his login credentials so I could do it. we’re a multi billion company spread across Canada and the USA and recorded our highest profits ever last year.

Oh man, welcome to the future, what's 2004 been like lately? That Bush guy still president?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Work from home has been good for me because the company laptop I was issued is actually competent, and I have admin rights on it (not sure if I'm supposed to but that's the way it came). It is so vastly superior to the ancient desktops in the actual physical offices that it is going to be hard to adjust back, and I desperately need to upgrade the hardware in my new office now that I am going back to in-person sometimes.

I don't have high demands - two browser windows and Zoom are really it, but holy poo poo those old desktops struggle even with that. Running Remote Desktop to access stuff on the server from home is faster, by leaps and bounds, than sitting there with one of those sad desktops that are physically connected to the intranet.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

There was a rumour a while ago that IT were going to take admin rights away from the sales team, and the thing that stopped it was the overwhelming negative feedback that people said they would consider going to a competitor if they did it.

I can’t imagine not having admin rights to my work laptop, it would genuinely make my working day unbearable.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Scientastic posted:

There was a rumour a while ago that IT were going to take admin rights away from the sales team, and the thing that stopped it was the overwhelming negative feedback that people said they would consider going to a competitor if they did it.

I can’t imagine not having admin rights to my work laptop, it would genuinely make my working day unbearable.

At many jobs most people just can't be trusted with them

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mojo Jojo posted:

At many jobs most people just can't be trusted with them

That's very true, but most employers are absolute poo poo about determining the people that CAN be trusted with them. I'm not IT now but have been in the past, and if anything my machine is more secure because I have admin rights, not less, because I am a bit obsessive about keeping track of vulnerabilities and updates.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Scientastic posted:

I've fired a client over this. They insisted that having a big chonker of a laptop with a locked down windows, running ubuntu in a virtual box was just as good a development environment as anything

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WonkyBob posted:

If you can make work pay for a 49" monitor, why would you not make work pay for a 49" monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I have a 32 inch monitor for work and gaming and that is honesty a bit too big. 49 is the sized, that really seems too much.