Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tales of Arise being on Xbox Game Pass at launch would be extremely cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

sonic chronicles changes locations almost every chapter and you can't freely talk to your party members
it truly is better than andromeda

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Finished Lufia & the Fortress of Doom a while ago. Encounter rate aside, what stuck out the most to me was its slightly disjointed narrative structure: the opening is told very differently from the rest of the game.

The first few hours of the game are relatively cutscene-heavy, and totally focused on the conflict between the heroes and the Sinistrals: before you gain control of the main character, you witness the collapse of the Fortress, read through the opening scrawl, and see a couple of cutscenes about the hero and Lufia's relationship. Even once you've assumed control, it hardly lets up; you have a cutscene for the hero's arrival at the ruined city, for the meeting between him and the Sinistral, and for his apology to Lufia. These cutscenes emphasize both the main plot and the main cast, selling the game as a character-driven, linearly plotted narrative along the lines of Final Fantasy IV.

But after that, the structure inverts: cutscenes are scarce, and sections of gameplay rarely have anything to do with the main plot. Occasionally, you'll speak to a survivor of the first war or witness the resurrection of a dark general, but most of the time you'll be fetching mystic ingredients for a chef or seeking out an engineer to repair a busted bridge, with nary a peep from the Sinistrals and maybe a single conversation per town with your party members. The little episodes that make up the bulk of the game are entertaining, but unlike the first few quests, they don't feed into the main plot in a clear way. The result is a midgame which, in contrast to the opening and ending, feels like a freewheeling adventure (think Final Fantasy III, or Dragon Quest VII without the cinematics).

I don't think there's anything wrong with either kind of story--I found some of the midgame's vignettes very entertaining--but the disconnect can create false expectations. For example:

Morpheus posted:

I remember Lufia 1 being incredibly bad in its 'quest' design. You'll have to get through a gate. But for that you need a key. But for that you'll need to find a potion. But to make that you'll need to get herbs from a dark forest, that kind of thing.
Individual quests in Lufia are mostly free of pointless detours, but if you're expecting the game to focus on the core conflict, the quests themselves represent detours from that. If that's your approach, then the whole game is one long circular journey to get back to where you started: four heroes facing off against Daos in the Fortress of Doom.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Lufia's an interesting game and was rough even when it was new but playing it was 100% worth it simply because it lead to Lufia II which is a top tier 90s RPG (and it did Roguelites before they were cool).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Lufia 2's Ancient Cave is the only good dungeon crawl roguelike.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

Also: https://twitter.com/LeakyPandy/status/1381330314405019653

This leak is from a few months ago and I'm pretty sure everything in it besides Destiny HD has happened, so.

In other Bamco news, Bamco also refreshed their trademarks for Baiten Kaitos 1 and 2... but also trademarked 2 in europe, even though it never came out there.

Oh god really? I would be so happy if they did a rerelease of the Destiny remake and localized it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope destiny remake gets a rerelease, but only after both of the fan translations come out, because it would be extremely funny to jump from having no full translation of tales of destiny director's cut to having three within a single year

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Colonel posted:

not psx, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ0molqIxjI

this game's meme on the jp net is the fact that the literal first thing it opens with is someone saying "this is horrible"

When the FMV started, I thought, "Eh, it's early CG rendering. A lot of that stuff hasn't aged well."

Then I saw the in-game graphics :pwn:

Amppelix posted:

see also how every other VN made in the west is not like all those other VNs which suck, ours is a parody and deconstruction of the genre

(also probably made by people who haven't actually played a single one)

"No, you don't get it, it's a deconstruction of the genre."
"Why don''t you deconstruct my rear end?"

I can't remember where I read it, but I remember someone saying that people who put forth stuff as being a 'deconstruction' are just insecure about liking things that might be hokey or silly, and can't just be earnest about it.

The Colonel posted:

i mean i guess there were some people who hyped up moon as this deep takedown on jrpgs and the thing about all that is that literally all of moon's "criticism" is just it making fun of dragon quest 1. like dq1 very specifically. none of those gags apply to any jrpgs, other than dq1 and games closely copying dq1. even the writer of moon who paid to get the game translated said he think that entire aspect of it falls totally limp and undertale does it in a more cohesive and mechanically interesting way so the fact anybody was focusing on that as the selling point is just kind of funny to look back on, it's way more of just a weird walk and talky adventure game with fun art design

I still have yet to play Moon, despite the fact it's been installed of my Switch for a few months now. Reading that makes me a bit sad, but at least I can adjust my expectations

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

moon is really cool its just not some epic takedown its just kinda weird and funny

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The moral of Moon is that sometimes you gotta stop playing Dragon Quest...

Which is bullshit.

0/10 game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the extent to which moon is an epic takedown is basically just "the devs got bored of working at square and when they made their big new weird art game at their new studio they kind of put in some jokes about jrpgs but didn't actually have a coherent throughline for it and midway through the guy who'd go on to direct chulip came in and sort of made an actual story with some themes of it"

this isn't like an assumption or an exaggeration or anything, dev interviews basically have everyone admitting they didn't have a clear picture of what they were actually trying to do for almost all of development and were just sort of making weird stuff and then kimura joined the team and did most of the work stringing what they'd made into something that could have an ending lol

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Didn't The Closer also have a weird send up of Dragon Quest 1?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Considering Dragon Quest is a pretty big thing, other games making references or sendups to it is probably pretty common.

Finished Ys IX a few days ago and while it's mostly a decent action rpg the messaging is really yikes. If I wanted to be really generous they wanted to do a nationalism is bad thing but failed miserably, because what they end up at is "fighting against the empire who uses slave labour to bring profit to the company poisoning the slums is bad" especially since the end of one party members storyline is being acknowledge by her family who owns that company. And there are a few side quest that show them as better than the competition. There are multiple groups in the game who are fighting against the Romn empire and all of them are presented as bad and the only good way presented is from the ex-resistance leader saying they should talk it out( after you do a quest stopping her old group from fighting back). All this comes after the game has established that the local population are some kind of second class citizens.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the theme of ys ix is like, subverted fairy tales/expectations so they probably just wanted to do Cool Twists without really thinking them through. what if the resistance... was actually bad! what if robin hood... led to worse things than the rich guys! etc. its stupid but i wouldnt put too much stock in it beyond them not thinking that hard about it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i dont care about this franchise but it never ceases to amaze me how japan lags behind in pc gaming. even a halfassed port can make money!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
They are worried about the nude mods.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

WaltherFeng posted:

They are worried about the nude mods.

do they realize that anyone who wants to draw him naked can do that even if he isn't in a PC video game

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Relin posted:

i dont care about this franchise but it never ceases to amaze me how japan lags behind in pc gaming. even a halfassed port can make money!

It's not really about Japan or even money from sales in this case, just an influential agency with some real old-school methods being infamously protective of where and how their talent is allowed to be depicted.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kanfy posted:

It's not really about Japan or even money from sales in this case, just an influential agency with some real old-school methods being infamously protective of where and how their talent is allowed to be depicted.

Yeah, Sega are pretty big on PC gaming and Johnny's are the worst agency in a country of bad agencies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the company that wants the pc port, is also japanese

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah it's just an extremely lovely agency being its extremely lovely self.

Matthews
Feb 24, 2012

Nick Buntline posted:

would not surprise me if it did, the sort of devs who would pull stuff like that are also the sort of devs to really get upset about any attempts to bypass their "intended" experience. i remember seeing one RPG Maker game where the dev included a giant constantly running global script to try and detect any sort of cheat engine/save editing/etc sort of stuff, at which point it would bring up an angry message along the lines of the "You cheated not only the game, but yourself" spiel, and then immediately delete the entire save directory and force quit the game because gently caress you for ruining their ~vision~.

What game was this?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I remember hearing rumors about it in Pokemon Empyrean (made with RPG Maker), but I never bothered to confirm or deny because the game sucked anyway.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

moon is really cool its just not some epic takedown its just kinda weird and funny

The Colonel posted:

the extent to which moon is an epic takedown is basically just "the devs got bored of working at square and when they made their big new weird art game at their new studio they kind of put in some jokes about jrpgs but didn't actually have a coherent throughline for it and midway through the guy who'd go on to direct chulip came in and sort of made an actual story with some themes of it"

this isn't like an assumption or an exaggeration or anything, dev interviews basically have everyone admitting they didn't have a clear picture of what they were actually trying to do for almost all of development and were just sort of making weird stuff and then kimura joined the team and did most of the work stringing what they'd made into something that could have an ending lol

I mean, that was how the HG101 article on it the game portrayed it. I remember reading that article a long time ago and being really interested in it at the time, but like I said, the whole deconstruction thing has gotten worn out.

Hearing that it's not that heavy on that aspect as it was made out to be, and that it's still funny and goofy makes me feel better about it. I just have to find the time to sit down and play it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 14, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

HG101 sort of talk outta their rear end a lot.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
every hg101 article is either kind of insulting to the game they're reviewing, or doing the famous "person who knows jp talking up game as the best thing ever and subsequently making people disappointed when they actually get to play it and it's only pretty good" thing for a janky dreamcast game with stiff controls

their napple tale review talks that game's plot up like it's the literal best written thing on the dreamcast and the game in actuality is like. some pretty cute dialog and cool level themes, really really stiff and annoying platforming and boss fights, and a really cool ending.

sometimes they review something like star cruiser and they say like 1/4 of the things you could possibly say about star cruiser, one of the most historically significant pc98 games ever made, cause they only wrote it as a small entry in their "obscure japanese games!" factoid list book lol. i like the wild arms 2 review where it's clear the reviewer mostly wanted to review the other games but because of site rules they had to review the entire series and so the entire review boils down to "this game probably has cool ideas, but the translation is so bad that i can't tell if it's good or not" and that's just what their review for wild arms 2 is going to be, now, forever

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 14, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hg101 sucks

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

HG101 sort of talk outta their rear end a lot.

Yeah, I'm starting to catch on to that. I was asking about Wild Arms 2 a while ago (in regards to why it never got a fan translation to improve on the original), and I mentioned said article.

I dunno, I guess it's just that I've been following the site for roughly a decade now, and I've learned about a lot of weird/obscure games that way (I have a few of the books they've published too). When it was announced that Moon was getting a localization, I was excited because I knew about from the article on HG101.

Like The Colonel says, an article will hype up a game, but then you play it and realize it's not as great as it's made out to be. Granted, I haven't played even a fraction of the games I've read about on the site, but I've experienced that before.

-

Switching gears to something more on-topic to the thread, I was tentatively planning to play the PSP version of Persona 1. Is there anything I should know or keep in mind about the game?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 14, 2021

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The HGG101 article is too old for this but wasn't a lot of the recentish praise for MOON the kind of the "spiteful" sort of praise because Undertale was so popular? Like, "a Japanese guy made Undertale FIRST and BETTER "

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Switching gears to something more on-topic to the thread, I was tentatively planning to play the PSP version of Persona 1. Is there anything I should know or keep in mind about the game?
I assume you already know it's a diffrent beast than the other Persona games, including the two duology?

It's got a really interesting story, and can ooze atmosphere, but man the game play is just not good. Worse than classic SMT by far. That said I enjoyed playing it but you really need to get into the mindset first.

If you need any help with Elements, Demon Fusion or anything else
http://persona1.wikidot.com/
has got most the answers.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

mycot posted:

The HGG101 article is too old for this but wasn't a lot of the recentish praise for MOON the kind of the "spiteful" sort of praise because Undertale was so popular? Like, "a Japanese guy made Undertale FIRST and BETTER "
well if it was those people missed the point pretty hard, toby himself was talking up moon as one of his inspirations and is probably a somewhat major reason that port got as much publicity as it did

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Endorph posted:

the company that wants the pc port, is also japanese

Yeah I think it could be fair to lol at Sega for not seeing that there was a PC market for the Yakuza series until three years ago, but boy have they made up for it since, and we now have an explanation for why Judgment didn't join in the fun with the rest of the games that isn't their fault (other than anticipating their move to PC and doing their casting differently I guess, but whatever).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

well if it was those people missed the point pretty hard, toby himself was talking up moon as one of his inspirations and is probably a somewhat major reason that port got as much publicity as it did

Toby's also partly the reason the port even exists iirc.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
e; i'll just post these interviews they say more than i could probably

https://vgperson.com/posts.php?p=moonswitchfamitsu

https://www.gematsu.com/2019/09/onion-games-interview-with-moon-writer-yoshiro-kimura-at-tgs-2019

i think there are some others i'm forgetting but these ones are cool

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 14, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my impression of moon was that it isn't interested in breaking JRPG conventions apart so much as painting the white space that often goes uncolored, if that makes sense. it jokes about RPGs especially in the intro, sure, but it doesn't really "deconstruct" much.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nadesico is the best deconstruction of a genre

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
moon is basically just a weird adventure game that pokes fun at dragon quest but people definitely hyped it up as some sort of earthbound-esque weird "anti-rpg" masterpiece pre-localisation (not just HG101) instead of "the game that chulip was a spiritual successor to". it's interesting but pretty far from a masterpiece, frustratingly obtuse at times and ultimately majora's mask ended up doing what it did much much better.

Endorph posted:

Also: https://twitter.com/LeakyPandy/status/1381330314405019653

This leak is from a few months ago and I'm pretty sure everything in it besides Destiny HD has happened, so.

In other Bamco news, Bamco also refreshed their trademarks for Baiten Kaitos 1 and 2... but also trademarked 2 in europe, even though it never came out there.

they haven't announced any more dark souls ports for switch or stadia anytime recently

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How tf is earthbound an anti rpg

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i'm not saying that what people said about it made any sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
deconstruction isnt a real thing