Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Acute Grill posted:

The Joker is easily the least consistent character between batman adaptations so I kinda think it depends on what your most familiar with. Like in The Animated Series he really leans in on gag props and circus motifs while The Dark Knight's Joker is a terrorist who likes face paint.

Which isn't to say one's more correct than the other, he's just sometimes legitimately not a clown.

Canonically, there are multiple Jokers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

There is ComicTropes but he is mostly in the SFDebris school and mainly recapping stuff that he occasionally feels strongly enough to talk about why it's good/bad.

Didn't ComicTropes start to lean too hard into the whole "I'm not saying making Wolverine was a girl but sales are down* and SOMEthing might be the problem hmmmm makes you think?" or was that Comicstorian?

*Sales are not actually down. They had a noticeable dip in 2017 I think it was but that was Hydra Cap and possibly peak crossover burnout at Marvel but they're doing fine.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't ComicTropes start to lean too hard into the whole "I'm not saying making Wolverine was a girl but sales are down* and SOMEthing might be the problem hmmmm makes you think?" or was that Comicstorian?

*Sales are not actually down. They had a noticeable dip in 2017 I think it was but that was Hydra Cap and possibly peak crossover burnout at Marvel but they're doing fine.

I don't think that was ComicTropes, he has never given the impression of being anything other than a decent dude, and if nothing else rarely seems to talk about sales figures much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fil5000 posted:

I don't think that was ComicTropes, he has never given the impression of being anything other than a decent dude, and if nothing else rarely seems to talk about sales figures much.

Yeah that doesn't sound at all like ComicTropes to me either.

Could believe it was Comicstorian though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
A comic review show without the superhero malarkey would be pretty cool tbh.

I sometimes stumble across some French ones, but my French is just not good enough to follow them.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1414401815584460801

yeah, i think hateful eight kind of works better as a miniseries and honestly as a stage play honestly. i think the issue is its kinda slow as gently caress.

My experience of watching Hateful Eight is putting the DVD in the laptop's CD drive, pausing it two-thirds through, and then the laptop broke, the CD got stuck in the drive, and I had to wait months to get it fixed and see the rest of the movie.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Takoluka posted:

(I hope everyone here has played Xenoblade)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Great Clown Posting War of 2021

josh04 posted:

He's a popular new breakout character who is simultaneously Batman and also the Joker, I'm surprised he's not on the logo.

"Bat-Joker Comics" (AKA BJ Comics) does have a better ring to it than "Detective Comics Comics"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

DeafNote posted:

(I hope everyone here has played Xenoblade)

lol no

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Takoluka posted:

i just mean visually. like i dont picture mickey as a mouse even though thats what he is.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

josh04 posted:

He's a popular new breakout character who is simultaneously Batman and also the Joker, I'm surprised he's not on the logo.
He looks like he's a missing member of Judge Death's posse.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Terrible Opinions posted:

He looks like he's a missing member of Judge Death's posse.

Have had that same thought, like he feels almost infringement levels of close to Judge Death lol

Also it really doesn't help his case that he basically hijacked a chunk of other characters books even if their series was completely tonally different, and even got one killed because of it, namely Supergirl, where he blunders in and farts his stupid corruption storyline all over it, the sales for her book dropped like a sack of hammers because nobody was reading Supergirl for that and it got cancelled as a result.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 12, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Isn’t Batman Who Laughs from an isolated universe that’s specifically meant to be as stupidly edgelordy as possible? Because in that regard it’s sorta appealing to see these laughable concepts actually drawn out - concepts you normally need to go to fanfic to get.

Or did they do the usual comics thing and make him escape the isolated universe and demand you take him seriously now?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

Isn’t Batman Who Laughs from an isolated universe that’s specifically meant to be as stupidly edgelordy as possible? Because in that regard it’s sorta appealing to see these laughable concepts actually drawn out - concepts you normally need to go to fanfic to get.

Or did they do the usual comics thing and make him escape the isolated universe and demand you take him seriously now?

My understanding is this

so the DC multiverse is broken up into different earths of ascending fantasticalness - Earth 0 is us, Earth 1 is a little bit weirder, earth 100 would be funtimes anime land.

Also the scale goes down, so earth -10 would be a place that's as worse than earth 0 as earth 10 is better

so the batman who laughs finds out that his earth is, like, cosmically designed to be as lovely as possible, and decides to take over the positive multiverse in revenge? I think? I think he's been at the center of more than one big crossover event at this point.

(so yes, they did the usual comics thing)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

egg tats posted:

My understanding is this

so the DC multiverse is broken up into different earths of ascending fantasticalness - Earth 0 is us, Earth 1 is a little bit weirder, earth 100 would be funtimes anime land.

Also the scale goes down, so earth -10 would be a place that's as worse than earth 0 as earth 10 is better

so the batman who laughs finds out that his earth is, like, cosmically designed to be as lovely as possible, and decides to take over the positive multiverse in revenge? I think? I think he's been at the center of more than one big crossover event at this point.

(so yes, they did the usual comics thing)

After Infinite Crisis there were a set 52 alternate realities (not all of them specifically outlined or noted as previously published Elseworlds), and they're not tied to "level" of weirdness. Earth 0 is the DC comic's current default setting, it's not "our" earth. Whether or not IRL is a "canon" earth flops around a lot.

DC has a habit of going in the most literal direction with a lot of things. So someone was like "Oh, well there's Earth 0 to 52.... then that must mean there are negative numbers too!" So for the Dark Knights: Metal event, they made the Dark Multiverse. That's where The Batman Who Laughs is from. The event was all about evil Batmens from the negative multiverse.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 12, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I feel like I could care way more about comics if they didn't try to have continuity. all the formal multiverse explanations makes me feel sleepy

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dabir posted:

The only good version of the "what if Batman but Joker" thing is the one in the The Batman cartoon where the Joker just puts on a cheap Batman costume and goes around hassling the other villains while doing a silly voice.

The second Season of Telltale's Batman had a fun take on it too I think.

Granted, that was Joker trying to be Batman instead of Bruce Wayne as the Joker.

https://twitter.com/RetroFirearms/status/1409528112057102337?s=19

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

After Infinite Crisis there were a set 52 alternate realities (not all of them specifically outlined or noted as previously published Elseworlds), and they're not tied to "level" of weirdness. Earth 0 is the DC comic's current default setting, it's not "our" earth. Whether or not IRL is a "canon" earth flops around a lot.

DC has a habit of going in the most literal direction with a lot of things. So someone was like "Oh, well there's Earth 0 to 52.... then that must mean there are negative numbers too!" So for the Dark Knights: Metal event, they made the Dark Multiverse. That's where The Batman Who Laughs is from. The event was all about evil Batmens from the negative multiverse.

My favourite of the evil Batmen was the one that just like, had a load of guns. Someone thought of that as a character concept, "what if rich man buy gun".

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Famethrowa posted:

I feel like I could care way more about comics if they didn't try to have continuity. all the formal multiverse explanations makes me feel sleepy

Like 90% of the time continuity doesn't matter to cape comics. And then Marvel and DC need to justify some big event so suddenly they have to have a reason to derail a half dozen comics with cross promotions and gobbledygook universe-spanning nonsense. Sometimes you get a writer who can make all that garbled nonsense fun, usually times it's either incoherent or dull. Such is life, I suppose.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Basically every story that tries to juxtapose Batman and the Joker ends up pretty shallow, since there aren't really that many similarities between the two, outside one being the hero and one the villain of the story.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Antigravitas posted:

A comic review show without the superhero malarkey would be pretty cool tbh.

I sometimes stumble across some French ones, but my French is just not good enough to follow them.

Guy from India who I like quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHWewIR09S61SA5egCaa7Iw

Another European guy who I also like.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1ZtauWih38Lr1aVEXuZybw

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Fil5000 posted:

My favourite of the evil Batmen was the one that just like, had a load of guns. Someone thought of that as a character concept, "what if rich man buy gun".

Without Dark Nights we would have never had Baby Darkseid

So ultimately, I think we won out in the end.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:tipshat: Let's see what wrong things earl grey has to say about Sky Doll.

e: oh look a German. That accent…

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pigbuster posted:

yeah. he is from some like negative ear or some poo poo. negative earths are like where the weired hosed up variets come from.

e X posted:

Basically every story that tries to juxtapose Batman and the Joker ends up pretty shallow, since there aren't really that many similarities between the two, outside one being the hero and one the villain of the story.

a comic dude a i follow says that either two-face/riddler/scarecrow make better rivals from batman and i sorta agree. i like the joker but he is a coin toss if he is well written and or interesting.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

oh goddamnit I thought "Batman Who Laughs" was like, a dumb fan name for a villain they hadn't gotten around to naming yet, not his actual canon name

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
A guy who I follow on Twitter summed up the problem with evil versions of Batman: stories where Batman becomes evil are ultimately about how cool Batman is. Stories where Superman turns evil are also ultimately about how cool Batman is.

Cool it with the Batman stuff for a bit, DC

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like the Justice Lords plot from JLA because it's not about how cool Batman is, but rather how cool the Flash is. Also I am a sucker for the scene where Justice Lord Batman points out that his methods - while extreme - have created a world where his parents would never have been shot and actual Batman has no counter and actually surrenders and joins with the bad guys for a bit.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Raycevick looks at games about modern warfare before COD4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kJlGVbBEaw

He also looks at America's Army: True Soldiers.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Oh man, I just looked up the origin story of the Batman who Laughs and it contains this:

quote:

Batman was later drugged by Joker, temporarily paralyzing his body but not his mind, so he could witness the chaos he caused without being able to do anything about it. The Joker bombed a hospital in front of Bruce and, to make it personal, shot dead the parents of many young children in front of him before proceeding to inject the children with an incurable, irreversible strain of Joker Venom.

That is hilariously over the top, is this thing written by Mark Millar or something

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

e X posted:

Yeah, Mr Freeze always seemed like the "what if Batman was a bad?" candidate since they're both characters who became what they are due to poorly coping with the loss of a loved one. Like without the Batman parelell he's just another guy goin around.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is the exact poo poo Umberto Eco was going on about back in '72:

In this massive bombardment of events which are no longer tied together by any strand of logic, whose interaction is ruled no longer by any necessity, the reader, without realizing it, of course, loses the notion of temporal progression. Superman happens to live in an imaginary universe in which, as opposed to ours, causal chains are not open (A provokes B, B provokes C, C provokes D, etc., ad infinitum) but closed (A provokes B, B provokes C, C provokes D, and D provokes A), and it no longer makes sense to talk about temporal progression on the basis of which we usually describe the happenings of the macrocosm.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Fil5000 posted:

Oh man, I just looked up the origin story of the Batman who Laughs and it contains this:

That is hilariously over the top, is this thing written by Mark Millar or something

The DC has been about the Edge since as far back as I can remember, really.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

This kind of thing and whatever's happening at Marvel these days is why I stopped reading most American comic books.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fil5000 posted:

what if I told you Evil Batman dressed those feral Joker Babies as his new 'Robins' who basically acted like his attack dogs, does that help? Does that make it better????

But yea 'The Joker forced Batman to watch him shoot the parents of multiple children in Crime Alley just like his' is some grade A 'if you told me this was bad fanfic I'd think you're being over the top' poo poo.

Batman Who Laughs and really all the Dark Multiverse stuff sucks so loving much, there's not a single redeemable feature about it other than Baby Darksied.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Is this the same timeline where joker cut his own face off?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Modern age DC has had many problems, but the biggest one might be dragging out a self-important Watchmen crossover and not once having Dr. Manhattan get punched in the dick

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

no it was written by Snyder

Scott Snyder. who'd you think I was talking about?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

In most of the good stories it either doesn't matter all that much or the writer will throw in enough context to give the gist of it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Famethrowa posted:

This is how I feel about series like Mega Man or Zelda trying to shoehorn all the disparate games into one uniform timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alaois posted:

no it was written by Snyder