Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

I would buy that exact Miami jersey in a minute, goddamn

E: and yeah that's textbook dogwhistle poo poo

somebody will have customized one of those in a minute, and yes it's dog-whistle racist as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is singling out The U really dog-whistling anymore in 2021, when The U as imagined in pop culture has been dead for like 20 years? It would be like a current congressman complaining about Snoop Dogg lyrics; its quaint at this point.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

General Dog posted:

Is singling out The U really dog-whistling anymore in 2021, when The U as imagined in pop culture has been dead for like 20 years? It would be like a current congressman complaining about Snoop Dogg lyrics; it’s quaint at this point.

For the particular target audience the fact that things aren't the same as they were 20/30/40 years ago is not a big hurdle.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

Is singling out The U really dog-whistling anymore in 2021, when The U as imagined in pop culture has been dead for like 20 years? It would be like a current congressman complaining about Snoop Dogg lyrics; its quaint at this point.

I mean, if they're playing the old hits and singling out Miami, who do you think their target audience is?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I dont know, arent they basically like Bleacher Report now?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

The article itself is even-handed. Whoever did the photochop needs to gently caress off back to Outkick or Whitlock's new place, though.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

General Dog posted:

I think it is when you consider people who still physically read SI are permanently living in the 90s or earlier.

e: scratch that, I realized it's a "daily cover" and not a physical one so but still, I don't really think they are after a <40 audience

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Anals of History posted:

The article itself is even-handed. Whoever did the photochop needs to gently caress off back to Outkick or Whitlock's new place, though.

Well, you clicked on the article so I guess it worked

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

General Dog posted:

Well, you clicked on the article so I guess it worked

I suppose you're right. As much as anything, I wanted to give the writer the benefit of the doubt knowing that they probably have limited input on headlines, images, or social media posts around their work.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
yes Miami is not especially relevant any more which is more evidence that using them was a deliberate choice to play off their reputation from 20-30 years ago as the scary black team that was cheating

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Quentin Tarantino was on one of the Ringer podcasts this week and made fun of some of Bill Simmons' Rewacthables takes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/emmaspan/status/1412416470978646021

this is great

quote:

David Aardsma, Mariners teammate: Suck it was one of his favorite sayings. We were facing the Yankees in Seattle. He hit a walk-off homer off Mariano Rivera. Hes rounding the bases, and as hes running home, he stops about 10 feet short of home plate, jumps, does the suck it sign and yells, Suck it! And then touches home plate.

E: one more

quote:

CC Sabathia, Yankees teammate: Ichi gave the best speeches at the All-Star Game.

Randy Winn, Mariners teammate: This is 2002. Im at the All-Star Game and Joe Torre is the manager. Joe brings us all in and says something very nice, very professional, very Joe Torre, very even and monotone.

Sweeney: You could hear a pin drop as Joe Torres speaking to us.

Winn: After he finishes, he goes, All right, Ichiro, what do you have to say? I was like, Wow, why is he calling Ichiro? Of all people to say something

Jim Leyland, Tigers manager: All of the sudden he pops up: Lets kick their loving fat asses.

Michael Young, Rangers second baseman: As loud as he could.

A.J. Pierzynski, Twins catcher: And that was it.

Winn: I was like, Wait, what? And everybody cheered like, Yeaaaaah!

E3: His favorite wings recipe for the curious, this sounds fantastic:

quote:

Chef Jeremy Bryant still serves Ichi wings at his catering company in Seattle, and he shared the recipe for The Athletic subscribers:

1 pound raw chicken wings
2 cups gourmet or teriyaki sauce
1 lime, juiced
1 orange, juiced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
One bunch chopped green onions
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
Combine the ingredients and marinate for a minimum of four hours up to 24 hours.
Drain off marinade, spread out on a baking sheet and roast at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 6, 2021

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Ichiro possessing encyclopedic knowledge of all California Pizza Kitchen locations has really brightened my day

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That article is like a Remembering some Mariners Guys reunion, this is giving me wonderful flashbacks.

Also apparently Ichiros Spanish is quite good but hardly academic.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

That article is like a Remembering some Mariners Guys reunion, this is giving me wonderful flashbacks.

You could tell Ichiro can secretly understand thirteen languages and I'd probably believe you.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Defector finally took a big ol' poo poo on nuDeadspin:

https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1412830469067001860

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Spencer Hall and Holly Anderson are doing their own thing. Minimum of two posts / things a week, maybe more if they feel like it. $10 a month or $100 for the year

https://channel-6.ghost.io/welcome-to-channel-6/

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

Defector finally took a big ol' poo poo on nuDeadspin:

https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1412830469067001860

True standards:
https://mobile.twitter.com/lppny/status/1412830823745732610

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 7, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

harperdc posted:

He's an international treasure

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PotatoJudge posted:

Spencer Hall and Holly Anderson are doing their own thing. Minimum of two posts / things a week, maybe more if they feel like it. $10 a month or $100 for the year

https://channel-6.ghost.io/welcome-to-channel-6/

$10/mo seems pretty extravagant for that amount of content. Thats like a dollar per post.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm way behind on the fullcast is the moon crew Patreon still a thing or are they all spinning off and doing their own stuff? Seems like you could have combined this with that pretty easily. I know the split zone duo guys recently started their own Patreon which I've been happy with so far but it's only 5 bucks a month for extra podcasts and the discord.

Crazy Ted posted:

You could tell Ichiro can secretly understand thirteen languages and I'd probably believe you.

he only knows three but if he wanted to he could fluently speak 15

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 8, 2021

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Any reaponse from Vichy/Manchuko Deadspin after that pie to the face from Defector?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It seems like they made an editorial decision that the story wasn't newsworthy. They were transparent at the time about the decision and four editors/writers co-signed it. You can agree or disagree with that decision, but they seemed forthright and unanimous on the matter. Their only real misstep is trying to half-backtrack on it now.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

General Dog posted:

It seems like they made an editorial decision that the story wasn't newsworthy. They were transparent at the time about the decision and four editors/writers co-signed it. You can agree or disagree with that decision, but they seemed forthright and unanimous on the matter. Their only real misstep is trying to half-backtrack on it now.

Well the backtrack and the bad editorial decision were they two real missteps.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

If you think it's not newsworthy you can just sit on it, you don't need to post a smarmy self congratulatory blog about how heroic you are for not posting it and where you insist no one could ever think that it's newsworthy or makes Nichols look bad that you then have to backtrack from when it turns out the entire rest of the world disagrees.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 8, 2021

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I understand the context of the story, I meant more did Deadspin respond to being told they "Can't even eat poo poo correctly"?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My favorite part of this whole thing is how desperately Deadspin could have used a huge story with cultural ramifications last summer but nope. They sat on it and tried to, I dunno, keep in good graces with ESPN or something?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You'd think surely other publications got offered the recording and passed on doing anything with it, though I'm guessing no one else wrote about passing on it at the time. It seems weird someone would take it to neo-Deadspin first, get rebuffed, and then leave it at that for a year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't think they cared about staying good with ESPN.

The just didn't for some reason think this obviously racist thing was racist.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

You'd think surely other publications got offered the recording and passed on doing anything with it, though I'm guessing no one else wrote about passing on it at the time. It seems weird someone would take it to neo-Deadspin first, get rebuffed, and then leave it at that for a year.

If you haven't been paying super close attention Deadspin is probably just the default place to leak stuff like that.

I also don't know exactly how long ago NYT got it since it seems like they took some time to do actual follow up reporting rather than just rushing to tell the world it wasn't important and calling it a day.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dexo posted:

I don't think they cared about staying good with ESPN.

The just didn't for some reason think this obviously racist thing was racist.

That could have been their (sort of 2nd) Manti Te'o moment too!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Bob Costas just had what I thought was a real good interview with Chris Cuomo on CNN, he essentially said, yo, having conservative values is okay man, I get that, but if your only frame for those values is just "the other people are wrong and I hate them" or based in racism, you can go ahead and get out of this discussion.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chief McHeath posted:

Bob Costas just had what I thought was a real good interview with Chris Cuomo on CNN, he essentially said, yo, having conservative values is okay man, I get that, but if your only frame for those values is just "the other people are wrong and I hate them" or based in racism, you can go ahead and get out of this discussion.

Theres really no facet of conservative values that isnt directly or indirectly racist, though.

Youre either a racist or youre a classist who doesnt care that your classism is inherently racist.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
NuDeadspin's dropping of the ball on the Nichols story claims a scalp:

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1413580165742014473

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

but he said very specifically it wasn't that and all of his friends who are just out of frame and from canada agree with him

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/Collin_McHugh/status/1414655115483623432

Stephen A with the "speak English in America!" take because of course

In other news, Collin McHugh is cool and I miss him

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't get it. It wasn't a problem when Sammy Sosa was chasing home run records.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

https://twitter.com/Collin_McHugh/status/1414655115483623432

Stephen A with the "speak English in America!" take because of course

In other news, Collin McHugh is cool and I miss him
If ESPN had guts that's the kind of thing that could get him fired, but it won't.

It reminds me of when Ichiro first signed with the Mariners and Rob Dibble said the first pitcher to face him should throw directly at him pretty much just because he's Japanese.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
The Athletic will be increasing their yearly subscription price from $59.99 to $71.99

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1416083222518140930

Also, it seems The Athletic UK branch has started a gaming section for the website.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticUK/status/1415929441738313731

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

psyer posted:

The Athletic will be increasing their yearly subscription price from $59.99 to $71.99

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1416083222518140930

Also, it seems The Athletic UK branch has started a gaming section for the website.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticUK/status/1415929441738313731

Ooff, I've had this year free from TMobile and I was thinking of renewing, but was kinda on the edge. I really like the Athletic though.