Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I thought was funny about F9 was how it turns out there are quite a few of Dom's cross necklace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They're his Horcrux if the water scene is anything to go by.

Torett-crux.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
In the Departed, Costello's goons throw Queenan off the roof. Sullivan has Queenan's cell phone, and calls Costigan to tell him that he's taking over Queenan's unit, Dignam's missing, and that Costigan should come in. Then Sullivan discovers that Costollo's an FBI informant, and can't find a way out of the situation he's in: it's getting increasingly difficult to keep feeding intel to Costello without getting burned as the informant, and Costello will kill the psychiatrist if he stops doing it. He decides to betray Costello first and tells the cops that he knows where Costello's gonna be and that he got that information from Costigan, the cops mobilize to go get Costello. At this point, Costigan really does text Sullivan and tells him that information.

Costello and his goons and Costigan all arrive at the warehouse to do the drug deal. At this point, Costigan warns Costello that he could still be being followed ("Frank, do do you know you don't have a tail? What if the took one off and they put another one on?").

Why is he doing that? From his perspective, he knows the cops are waiting to raid the place, his job's almost over. Why the warning?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Costello doesn't know Sullivan is the inside threat but I think he remained suspicious of everyone after the tossing.

Therefore he took a page from Costello and played both sides; blowing the deal off due to Costello's paranoia wild give him some space to think things out -- and keep suspicions off of him for a while too.

If Costello slipped out of this bullshit again, he would need an alibi for getting away clean.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Okay that's weird because why would they do an oophorectomy along with the hysterectomy

Ooh yeah, that's what we need, a super spy assassin with hot flashes and brittle bones

I don't think anyone took the "ooph" out of that plot line.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That Italian Guy posted:

Which is a pity, cause it's obviously quite funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzdm_YWwEbA

Never seen pitch meeting before but this was a pro click.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Never seen pitch meeting before but this was a pro click.
Yeah not sure what's up with the googly eyes in the thumbnail, but they are all very good - especially the ones for really bad movies. Like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC1LiBBkDdo

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Jul 12, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That Italian Guy posted:

Which is a pity, cause it's obviously quite funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzdm_YWwEbA

Despite the thumbnail, I decided to watch this.

Very glad I did.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pitch Meeting has the widest quality gap between thumbnail and content.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Pitch Meeting is pretty much IIMM The Web series, there’s a lot of funny ones. Nothing else ScreenRant produces is less than D-tier clickbait though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Loki learned magic from his adopted mom, right? And she herself was raised by witches. But Thor was her son, too. How is it he didn't pick up on this stuff as well? It would have made a lot of sense for Odin to have her teach both of them, particularly since he didn't earnestly plan on having Loki be king. Those magic powers would have been really useful from a diplomacy point of view if Odin was all about maintaining the peace he built up to that point.

Somewhat related, but I like stories that portray people bad at magic as looking like much more conventional wizards, because they rely on "training wheels" of artifacts to help them and the scope of their powers is generally flashy yet mostly useless spells. Galinda, for example, was seen as kind of a D student in terms of their version of Hogwarts, and her little wand with a star at the end was even referred to as a "training wand" which was an embarrassment to her counterpart Elphaba.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Despite the thumbnail, I decided to watch this.

Very glad I did.
Ryan George is great. His personal channel is also really fun (with the same gimmick as Pitch Meeting though he will sometimes have other guests).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Panfilo posted:

Loki learned magic from his adopted mom, right? And she herself was raised by witches. But Thor was her son, too. How is it he didn't pick up on this stuff as well?

Does Thor seem like the kind of person who is interested in learning to you?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The movie is a lot more enjoyable if you just accept the fact that Chris Pratt's character is not very smart. Like in the beginning he gets rejected for a job. You assume, "oh they're stupid for not seeing his potential" but in reality he wrote his resume in comic sans and spelled science with a P.

So of course everything he does is the wrong choice, but he somehow manages to fail upwards until he saves the world despite his actions rather than because of them.

One thing I found weird (I'm not going to bother using a spoiler tag) was the comic relief character whose wife died in an earlier mission. They mention in the beginning that if you refuse to deploy after getting drafted one of your family members has to go in your place, so this guy could have taken his wife's place, but didn't, which is cool and all.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's entirely possible Frigga tried teaching Thor magic but he never gleaned onto it because Thor is canonically dumb.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Jedit posted:

Does Thor seem like the kind of person who is interested in learning to you?

he picked up groot as a language elective while in uni

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rocket learned Groot over the years of living and working with him, Asgard has universal translators and it never even occurs to Thor that other characters can't understand Groot

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Torquemada posted:

Pitch Meeting is pretty much IIMM The Web series, there’s a lot of funny ones. Nothing else ScreenRant produces is less than D-tier clickbait though.
This should be full list if you don't want to wade into hundreds of "THIS BASIC THING, EXPLAINED!" videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL--PgETgAz5FGoatB9KQzbnpv0bgZqU2l

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

flavor.flv posted:

Rocket learned Groot over the years of living and working with him, Asgard has universal translators and it never even occurs to Thor that other characters can't understand Groot

Asgardians speak Godtongue which means everyone can understand them and they understand all languages in return.
:goonsay:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Inzombiac posted:

Asgardians speak Godtongue which means everyone can understand them and they understand all languages in return.
:goonsay:

“Rocket Raccoon: You speak Groot?
Thor: Yes, they taught it on Asgard. It was an elective.”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Torquemada posted:

“Rocket Raccoon: You speak Groot?
Thor: Yes, they taught it on Asgard. It was an elective.”

One of his fraternity brothers was a groot

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I mean, if you gotta learn a language, only having to memorize one sentence has gotta be a plus.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah not sure what's up with the googly eyes in the thumbnail, but they are all very good - especially the ones for really bad movies. Like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC1LiBBkDdo

Seriously, the thumbnails are so bad but I watched like five of em in a row. Thanks for introducing me to their stuff!

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Seriously, the thumbnails are so bad but I watched like five of em in a row. Thanks for introducing me to their stuff!

I've somehow been watching for hours. It was actually super easy, barel-- *dies*

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Phanatic posted:

In the Departed
I watched this for the first time the other day and wasn't exactly blown away given the rave reviews.

But one thing that really stuck out as an IIMM for me was the loving envelope that Costigan gives to the psychiatrist.

He says that she should open it if something happens to him, she puts it in a drawer and that's the last we see of it.

WHAT WAS IN IT!?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
TBH that seems amusingly realistic. I'd probably roll my eyes, put it in a drawer somewhere and forget about it for about 3 years. I mean, if the guy did die I'd probably not have the wherewithal to remember something like that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
When movies do stuff like that, I like to imagine it's the script or something. Similarly, whenever someone opens the Briefcase in Pulp Fiction I pretend they're watching a smaller version of themselves opening a briefcase containing a smaller version of themselves opening a briefcase

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GazChap posted:

I watched this for the first time the other day and wasn't exactly blown away given the rave reviews.

But one thing that really stuck out as an IIMM for me was the loving envelope that Costigan gives to the psychiatrist.

He says that she should open it if something happens to him, she puts it in a drawer and that's the last we see of it.

WHAT WAS IN IT!?

Marcellus Wallace's soul

Don't ask me how the hell it got to Boston

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can't really get into The Wolf Of Wall Street because Leo just sounds like an rear end in a top hat trying to do a Henry Hill impression.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

GazChap posted:

Who the gently caress gave The Departed rave reviews? It was completely mediocre and it's public knowledge that they only gave it the Oscar because Scorsese was overdue for one and they didn't know if he had any more movies left in him

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah The Departed is a makeup Oscar for being snubbed for Goodfellas.

If anything I think he could've been a legit contender for best director with Shutter Island… but that was the same year as The Social Network.

Which also lost to The King's Speech.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Shutter Island is goofy. Marty in thriller mode is not great.

Also the Departed has an 85 on metacritic, a 90% on RT, a 4.2 on letterboxd. I would say that’s pretty drat well received even without the Oscar.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Jul 13, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The Departed was one of an ex’s favorite movies and I’ve only ever heard people rave over it. I am glad there are other brave souls who saw it for what it was - a pretty mediocre flick.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yeah The Departed is a makeup Oscar for being snubbed for Goodfellas.

If anything I think he could've been a legit contender for best director with Shutter Island… but that was the same year as The Social Network.

Which also lost to The King's Speech.

The King’s Speech wasn’t like, Crash-level bad but it’s definitely one of the worse and more baffling Best Picture winners.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The King’s Speech wasn’t like, Crash-level bad but it’s definitely one of the worse and more baffling Best Picture winners.

quote:

With 12 Oscar nominations, "The King's Speech" is among the most nominated films of all time. It's based on the true story of George VI, the father of the present queen of England. George VI was a man who, in the 1930s, desperately did not want to be king.

quote:

According to Deadline, Queen Elizabeth recently took in a “private viewing” of The King's Speech, the historical drama showcasing her late father, King George VI, and his struggles with a speech impediment. She apparently “enjoyed” it and screenwriter David Seidler was thoroughly “humbled” with the news.

A bunch of wanking off the rich and powerful, of course it gonna get manufactured acclaim.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
2000-2010 was just full of bad Best Picture winners. Gladiator, Crash, Slumdog Millionaire, The Departed (which was fine but not really best picture material), The King’s Speech. Just completely baffling choices to win. I think the only ones from them that really hold up are Return of the King and No Country for Old Men.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Wtf Gladiator owns!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm watching Braceheart now and I remember quietly rooting for Babe to upset it for Best Picture.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yeah what the hell, Gladiator's one of the best Best Picture winners ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grendels Dad posted:

Wtf Gladiator owns!

I’m just salty it won over Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.