Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I don't care how rare jdm it is or whatever it's just a bloody toyota pickup they made hundreds of thousands of the bloody things, it's not a 70's aircooled porsche

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Probably around 20k or so depending on how it is when I can really dig into it. Have a Prado and the Cresta to get to first.

track day bro! posted:

I don't care how rare jdm it is or whatever it's just a bloody toyota pickup they made hundreds of thousands of the bloody things, it's not a 70's aircooled porsche

Yeah?
That this isn't an air-cooled Porsche and is a working vehicle with mythical reliability is precisely why they are so desirable. How many were made does factor into their desirability I suppose, but I'd argue that they made so many of them is exactly why they are so sought after now. Everyone has a story about an old Toyota pickup, everyone's touched one somehow, driven one, lived with one. A 70s air-cooled Porsche was born coveted, the Hilux earned it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

Yeah?
That this isn't an air-cooled Porsche and is a working vehicle with mythical reliability is precisely why they are so desirable. How many were made does factor into their desirability I suppose, but I'd argue that they made so many of them is exactly why they are so sought after now. Everyone has a story about an old Toyota pickup, everyone's touched one somehow, driven one, lived with one. A 70s air-cooled Porsche was born coveted, the Hilux earned it.

i was talking to the person saying if you have to ask you can't afford it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

track day bro! posted:

To be fair there is a significant portion of people that are very angry that these old Toyotas sell for and are adamant they are all worthless. Funnily enough they are always the people that want to buy the ones we are selling! Weird!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

To be fair there is a significant portion of people that are very angry that these old Toyotas sell for and are adamant they are all worthless. Funnily enough they are always the people that want to buy the ones we are selling! Weird!

You know, desirability and "collectability" both pivot on a reflective remembrance. I can clearly remember the plastic feel of '80s Toyota dashboards based on my experiences with a) My dad's new 1992 Supra, b) my friend in high school's '80s Celica, and c) the '80s Tercel I cut the roof out of and drove across the country.

In your pictures, I FEEL what those cars (trucks) are, and fully recognize that there are many vehicles that may be better now, but at the time, Toyota got it RIGHT with those vehicles, so I understand the want. Also, I absolutely feel that the nostalgia that drove the '50s nostalgia buy in the '80s and '90s, and the '60s nostalgia buy in the '00s and now it's showing with these '80s cars. There is a transitive gap between the desirability groups, though, because the '70s sucked so damned badly.

Not only is your hoist truck an excellent example of a Hilux, it's an absolute unicorn with that factory accessory. I can see a bedliner spray and a custom fit jet ski bringing stupid money at a high-profile collector car auction.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 6, 2021

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

track day bro! posted:

That was in no way a joke about the fact that it is, in fact, affordable for most people.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That's a neat truck that surely somebody will pay way too much money for.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can’t imagine you get too many customers from Maine considering nobody lives there but here is something you/they might have to look out for.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/09/maine-deregistering-mitsubishi-delicas/

tl;dr Maine is pulling the plates and registration of delicas and possibly other RHD stuff by declaring them off-road vehicles

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha, I read about that too. If other states follow suit there's not much that can be done about it, but I'm curious as to why they even care.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

It certainly is strange, the market for these vehicles is vanishingly small and not really competing with domestic cars (or even classic American cars), and I don't think there have been any "high-profile" safety incidents with these, has there? Seems even odder that they're specifically singling out Delicas. Maybe someone at the Maine BMV has an axe to grind.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

It certainly is strange, the market for these vehicles is vanishingly small and not really competing with domestic cars (or even classic American cars), and I don't think there have been any "high-profile" safety incidents with these, has there? Seems even odder that they're specifically singling out Delicas. Maybe someone at the Maine BMV has an axe to grind.

According to Autoblog: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/09/maine-deregistering-mitsubishi-delicas/?guccounter=1

quote:

OK. Next question. What does Maine consider to be an “off-road vehicle?” And how does the Delica qualify? Here’s where a brand-new modification (LD 1433 Sections 1-8) to Title 29-A comes into play. The Secretary of State’s office informed us that Maine passed a law on June 15, 2021, that clarified this question. The definition of an “off-road vehicle” in Maine is as follows:

“‘Off-road vehicle’ means a motor vehicle that, because of the vehicle's design and, configuration, original manufacture or original intended use, does not meet the inspection standards of chapter 15, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, the United States Environmental Protection Agency's pollutant requirements or the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration's crash testing standards and that is not a moped or motorcycle.”

So it's legal to import it regardless of crash safety standards, but in Maine's opinion it does not meet current crash standards so it can't be driven on Maine's roads.

Seems a bit overzealous, but it's how the bureaucrats have interpreted the new law. It reads like other vehicles will be banned too, as they come to the BMV's attention.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Going by their logic then they should ban all 90's cars because none of them meet current safety standards, like not even close.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Going by their logic then they should ban all 90's cars because none of them meet current safety standards, like not even close.

Every Mainer's hunting truck would be backed up to the state capitol, slinging chains and yanking the thing down. Whereupon all that junk would stay there, broken, until someone bothered to clean it up.

"Fuhkin' whikid, get some beeahs?"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I don't think they thought through the consequences of that law very well. It will probably be modified eventually.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

I don't think they thought through the consequences of that law very well. It will probably be modified eventually.

Lol nah, you'll just get selective enforcement.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

When our horribly corrupt grifting Premier(like a governer) was soliciting election money from dealer groups, in exchange for a minimum of $100,000, he promised them, among other things, banning RHD vehicles.

He has been too busy destroying our healthcare system and poisoning our water to get around to it though.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
How long until the auto industry lobbyist convince politicians to ban any vehicle older than the duration of a 60 month subprime loan?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nohearum posted:

How long until the auto industry lobbyist convince politicians to ban any vehicle older than the duration of a 60 month subprime loan?

Whenever the last pony-car-idolizing boomer is in the dirt.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
As someone who has an enormous amount of money tied up in Delicas that are still sitting in Japan, I’m going to pretend I never saw this article

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You think this isn't coming? Some Republican in an auto makers pocket is likely working on this as we speak.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You think this isn't coming? Some Republican in an auto makers pocket is likely working on this as we speak.

I could see someone trying but it will never happen. Taking away older cheaper cars would effectively take away the mobility of the poor working class, can't have the poors not showing up to their fast food jobs how would everyone else eat then?

Might be different if this country had some sort of decent public transportation in every major city, but you can't start taking cars away from people that need them no matter how old or unsafe they are, it's 100 percent not going to happen.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This discussion line is kinda funny given what Japan does and it being partially the reason for there being cheap cars to export

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Powershift posted:

I can’t imagine you get too many customers from Maine considering nobody lives there but here is something you/they might have to look out for.

tl;dr Maine is pulling the plates and registration of delicas and possibly other RHD stuff by declaring them off-road vehicles

This sucks because just last week I saw a sweet little kei van (not sure which) in Maine that was really nicely done up as a VW bus, had kind of an alt future or restomod feel. It would be a bummer not to see that again.

Maine also just passed a law to rescind obscene license plates, which had been a point of pride.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

That Maine Delica poo poo is absolutely bizarre. It's a mini van that has 4x4.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
What’s so bizarre is that the 4x4 vans are great. I am super overprotective of my kids but I have no problem driving them to school in the vans (they really only seem interested in comfortable vans that I get). I currently have a Bongo and I could totally live with it as a daily - tons of room, comfortable, lots of power. It’s very disappointing to hear about the Maine thing - but obviously it is just needless government mess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

Uh... aren't retroactive laws illegal in the United States?

Deteriorata posted:

According to Autoblog: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/09/maine-deregistering-mitsubishi-delicas/?guccounter=1

So it's legal to import it regardless of crash safety standards, but in Maine's opinion it does not meet current crash standards so it can't be driven on Maine's roads.

Seems a bit overzealous, but it's how the bureaucrats have interpreted the new law. It reads like other vehicles will be banned too, as they come to the BMV's attention.

So... what about all the '70s CJs, etc.?

That, too.

Deteriorata posted:

Again, they shouldn't be *deregistering* vehicles that are already legally registered. Not allowing any more to be registered, fine, whatever, but they were legal when it was done, they should stay legal.
Incidentally, that's why there are a small number of GE electric multi-barrel cannons that are legal for private citizens to own without an FFL, because they were not considered a "fully automatic weapon" for a (very) brief period, until Federal law was clarified.

edit: yeah, declaring a thing illegal after the fact and penalizing based on that new illegality is unconstitutional, at both the federal and state level. That's going to get challenged as soon as someone has enough money to do so (which, frankly, is obscene that is a consideration...):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law

Wikipedia posted:

Ex post facto laws are expressly forbidden by the United States Constitution in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 (with respect to federal laws) and Article 1, Section 10 (with respect to state laws).

Maine does not law well.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 12, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

This discussion line is kinda funny given what Japan does and it being partially the reason for there being cheap cars to export

Japan also has a public transit system where calling it "world class" would be an insult.

Darchangel posted:

edit: yeah, declaring a thing illegal after the fact and penalizing based on that new illegality is unconstitutional, at both the federal and state level. That's going to get challenged as soon as someone has enough money to do so (which, frankly, is obscene that is a consideration...):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law

This is what we've devolved into as a country, unfortunately. Get enough short-term support at a given level and you can just write/pass whatever law you like, no matter how blatantly unconstitutional, and it only gets stopped if someone has the resources to bring it to court. If you're really lucky the lower courts might not even put an injunction in so the law might go into effect for some time before the courts finally toss it, and that last step is also a big if.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Japan also has a public transit system where calling it "world class" would be an insult.
Yeah, for sure, at least in the core areas. I was just talking with respect to the shaken stuff on older vehicles.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Delicas were sold as the Mitsubishi van/wagon in the usa for a period of time in the late 80s so, uh.... Great job Maine?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The Maine thing has to be driven by some sort of power-hungry bureaucrat or someone working on behalf of dealers because the excuses they have are all flimsy and false as has been pointed out. The safety and pollution standards are Federally exempted (21 years for the EPA, 25 for the safety) so that's out. Plus targeting Delicas specifically reeks of "I know what a Land Rover is, I know what a Skyline is, I know what a Delica is" ignorance. I bet HiAces are fine, or JDM versions of vehicles sold here like Hiluxes or 60 and 80 series Land Cruisers.

That, and boy I bet you'll be really surprised by how many Montana-registered company Delicas are going to start showing up in Maine! Weird that.

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, for sure, at least in the core areas. I was just talking with respect to the shaken stuff on older vehicles.

How does this work btw? I've noticed that the only thing specifically banned is diesels in certain cities which is how you end up with UZ-swapped 70s in Japan. Otherwise it seems that Japan will let you drive whatever it is you want, just the cost goes vertical depending on what it is. They don't outright ban things, right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

How does this work btw? I've noticed that the only thing specifically banned is diesels in certain cities which is how you end up with UZ-swapped 70s in Japan. Otherwise it seems that Japan will let you drive whatever it is you want, just the cost goes vertical depending on what it is. They don't outright ban things, right?

As I understand it, yes, they just get much more expensive to register, tougher to get through shaken, parts get harder to find/more expensive, etc., so only older models that someone really likes, for whatever reason, stick around.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Darchangel posted:

As I understand it, yes, they just get much more expensive to register, tougher to get through shaken, parts get harder to find/more expensive, etc., so only older models that someone really likes, for whatever reason, stick around.

Pretty much. The actual cost to do the shaken stays the same AFAIK, but garages will charge more for older/rarer stuff. Virtually everybody does it through a garage so the the maxim of "shaken costs go up over time" is basically true. You technically can shaken a vehicle yourself (it's called "user shaken") by bringing it in to the testing centre yourself and making any repairs/mods necessary, but very few people have the time and space to do much work on their own vehicles. A mate of mine did it on his GS and got knocked back for headlight alignment and handlebar width, he fixed it in the carpark, went back through, and they gave him the green light.

Most of the cost of shaken is parts/labour (with markup), the actual inspection itself is like, I dunno, $100-200 at most from memory. There's also some third party compulsory insurance in there too but I don't think that goes up with age, probably just different between keis and normal-sized cars. IIRC I think there is an annual "mini shaken" on cars over a certain age, but it's optional/you can just fill it out yourself, so in practice it means bugger all.

The mindset of doing things the "normal" way is pretty strong among Japanese people; I was surprised to learn that none of my Japanese co-workers in 2012 even knew how to register their own cars. Everyone pays a mechanic 10,000 yen to do it because they can't take the afternoon off work to go down to the DMV and do it themselves. It costs like 7 bucks and takes 15 minutes, I was the only one in there not wearing coveralls :v: At the time you couldn't do it online, not sure if that's changed but I wouldn't put much money on it in the Land Of The Still In Use Fax Machine, lol.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 13, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Not to my knowledge. Hell, the old go-kart tours through Tokyo that might resemble a Nintendo game are on karts with white plates, so fully street legal. There's no laws about left hand drive/right hand drive either, hence why some of the European brands (Mercedes, BMW, Porsche spring to mind) used to only import LHD vehicles (Hong Kong insists on RHD vehicles from memory).

but yes, shaken gets tougher and becomes an every-two-years thing.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Pretty much. The actual cost to do the shaken stays the same AFAIK, but garages will charge more for older/rarer stuff. Virtually everybody does it through a garage so the the maxim of "shaken costs go up over time" is basically true. You technically can shaken a vehicle yourself (it's called "user shaken") by bringing it in to the testing centre yourself and making any repairs/mods necessary, but very few people have the time and space to do much work on their own vehicles. A mate of mine did it on his GS and got knocked back for headlight alignment and handlebar width, he fixed it in the carpark, went back through, and they gave him the green light.

Most of the cost of shaken is parts/labour (with markup), the actual inspection itself is like, I dunno, $100-200 at most from memory. There's also some third party compulsory insurance in there too but I don't think that goes up with age, probably just different between keis and normal-sized cars. IIRC I think there is an annual "mini shaken" on cars over a certain age, but it's optional/you can just fill it out yourself, so in practice it means bugger all.

The mindset of doing things the "normal" way is pretty strong among Japanese people; I was surprised to learn that none of my Japanese co-workers in 2012 even knew how to register their own cars. Everyone pays a mechanic 10,000 yen to do it because they can't take the afternoon off work to go down to the DMV and do it themselves. It costs like 7 bucks and takes 15 minutes, I was the only one in there not wearing coveralls :v: At the time you couldn't do it online, not sure if that's changed but I wouldn't put much money on it in the Land Of The Still In Use Fax Machine, lol.

hey buddy :) I think the other cost is what in the U.S. would be basic collision insurance -- you're paying for that for two years, hence how those parts and labor costs also get towards $1,000-1,200 total.

I also went and got the license plate for my car once upon a time, and I think it was like 3,000 yen or so? the other cost is annual tax/registration cost, which can run $400-500 depending on engine size.

but yes, the tl;dr is that by the time a new car is now seven years old, the dealer is starting to hit up the customers with pamphlets on the new models. Shaken is designed to keep a fleet of new cars on the roads, and the costs of Kei cars and small hatchbacks means if you really need a car in the countryside, you can also keep up with that.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Nohearum posted:

You might like some of my tweets.

https://twitter.com/Captain_Tinal/status/1400621983109353474

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's eventually going to move to a subscription model where it will be remotely shut off and repossessed if you don't pay.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Don’t think for a minute full self driving won’t be used to self-repossess cars.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
Won my first truck the other day! 1994 Toyota Hiace Truck, 2.4L 5-speed manual transmission with 8,000 miles on the clock. 4WD, diesel, not too much old firetruck stuff to remove off the back.

Really excited about this one, the only bummer on this one is I don't believe it has air conditioning. I wonder if it's something where I could buy the condenser and install? I live in Denver so it's not a deal breaker but there are a few months where A/C is nice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would expect you'd either need to source the entire HVAC from an AC-equipped Hiace, or you'd want to go full custom with parts you can more readily get here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

johnnyonetime posted:

Won my first truck the other day! 1994 Toyota Hiace Truck, 2.4L 5-speed manual transmission with 8,000 miles on the clock. 4WD, diesel, not too much old firetruck stuff to remove off the back.

Really excited about this one, the only bummer on this one is I don't believe it has air conditioning. I wonder if it's something where I could buy the condenser and install? I live in Denver so it's not a deal breaker but there are a few months where A/C is nice.

Excellent, this is the best sort of firetruck you can get of the HiAce/ToyoAce/Dyna type, with a standard bed sides in the back rather than the weird cut out on the left portion that makes it less of a pickup and more of a "this holds a hose and pump" firetruck. Pop out the pump slide rails and get yourself one of those vinyl net tailgates, maybe slice off that rear step they added if you like and go to town. I'm sure you know this but it will certainly not be fast, but plenty torquey.
To echo IOwnCalculus yeah you'll have to source everything. This most certainly does not have air conditioning, a vast majority of the firetrucks never do. You could get them with the 2.4 and AC, I've had one (though 2WD rather than 4WD) but the firetrucks always seem to be the most stripper of stripper models so no AC. If you pop in your chassis id into PartSouq.com you can get the complete diagram/schematic for your truck. For instance here is what the AC system includes on that 95 LY50 ToyoAce (the 2WD version of your HiAce)

Probably relatively easy to make up a system here vs. trying to get OEM parts, but not an easy task. At least you have plenty of space to mount it all considering there is nothing underneath the truck!