Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ErKeL posted:

I've definitely run through a lot of companions so far, and I accidentally got my little brother and sister killed from the storyline. If it wasn't such a grind to get these pricks leveled back up I'd be fine.

That's the stuff that I hope Taleworlds can move past at some point. They love heinous grinds. I hope Bannerlord winds up with a generational system where I can play a character and not be sad when I die because my heir has some decent starting stats but more importantly can level up quickly. Same thing with armies - not everything should be doomstacks of max-tier troops, but at the same time god drat it can take forever to raise and level and army and that's just not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
I also stepped away from this game many months ago, only to pick it up again now. The biggest difference I have noticed seems to be performance; it ran like poo poo before even with everything cranked to the minimum, now I can comfortably play at medium settings. They must have fixed a memory leak at some point, because before it would perform worse the longer I played. All that being said, I probably won't sink in hundreds of hours until some good total conversion mods come out, I just can't get invested in the base factions/universe

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Oh man, joined the green dudes in the middle of a big gently caress off war. Several 500+ v 500+ battles later peace is made...but settlements are too weak to prevent rebellions and major cities turn and we have to recapture them. Game good.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
They basically just really really need to fix sieges. Make troops actually use ladders and towers correctly and make it more obvious what is happening. Have the ladders be something you can direct to a section of wall. One of the best bits of the game is winning a battle despite being massively outnumbered because of superior tactics and that just can’t happen at a siege - tactics don’t come into it at all.

I’d also like to see more impact of huge field battles. If two armies of 800 clash and one easily destroys the other, that should be a war-defining moment. It shouldn’t result in a siege being immediately broken by another stack of 800 conjured from nowhere

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Jakabite posted:

I’d also like to see more impact of huge field battles. If two armies of 800 clash and one easily destroys the other, that should be a war-defining moment. It shouldn’t result in a siege being immediately broken by another stack of 800 conjured from nowhere

You ain't kidding. Also, it falls to me to defend the frontier, because my AI lords decide to summon armies and then tour the home cities. Bad things happen when I don't keep an army of my own.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Companions are unbelievably bad in this game. Good thing I like aserai so they can go make me money on caravan duty at least.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I play with the attributes matter mod on so that companions and characters in general end up being godlike compared to normal troops and it feels more interesting to me.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

lil baby anime posted:

Companions are unbelievably bad in this game. Good thing I like aserai so they can go make me money on caravan duty at least.

Watching them run a stack of decent troops you've gifted them off a cliff for no reason sucks. The inability to give them basic commands (defend here, patrol here, etc) leads to them being hard to keep alive, but you also need them if you want to be able to amass a decent army without big influence buys, so...

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

lil baby anime posted:

Keep them as your personal archer/polearm stack on your party, with max amount of companion parties permanently attached to your clan-only army for manpower boost- preferably their parties stacked with expendable imperial archers they can dump into cities you take.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So I've been looking forward to Bannerlord for a long time and was finally able to build a new pc so I'm finally gonna play it. Are there any must-have mods that I should install right away or would it be better to just mess around in vanilla for awhile to get my feet wet? I played hundreds of hours of Warband if that helps.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Srice posted:

So I've been looking forward to Bannerlord for a long time and was finally able to build a new pc so I'm finally gonna play it. Are there any must-have mods that I should install right away or would it be better to just mess around in vanilla for awhile to get my feet wet? I played hundreds of hours of Warband if that helps.

Vanilla beta 1.6 is pretty good as-is for all the bitching.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
None are "needed" but RTS camera is pretty amazing

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

On one hand that would make being a commander on foot easier

On the other hand it lessens the chaos of trying to coordinate multiple groups of troops

downout
Jul 6, 2009

They took the info about who kingdoms are at war with out of the diplomacy screen, my companions still over-garrison my castles, wth devs? I really need to start using mods to fix this stuff

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Improved garrisons really helps with that imo

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Srice posted:

try vanilla for awhile and then use context to adjust what you don't like or want to improve with mods. this mod covers a lot of stuff that you can fiddle with https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2911

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Freelancer seems cooler in concept than in reality where like I can't advance because my lord spends all available time running between the same four settlements recruiting and randomly shedding the same 10 or so guys and occasionally running down 10 person looter parties who immediately run when the cavalry kills half of them, and I can't just up and leave without being hunted because you need to rank up to ask to leave and half of this seems unexplained.

Also the nexus page gives off some real primadonna modder vibes in the FAQ answers for stuff like "do I get after-battle loot?" and this was before finding out about them retiring from the scene.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Weird. I had a hell of a time chilling with mesui. Didnt take me super long to get to bodyguard rank.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Valtonen posted:

Vanilla beta 1.6 is pretty good as-is for all the bitching.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

None are "needed" but RTS camera is pretty amazing

Voxx posted:

try vanilla for awhile and then use context to adjust what you don't like or want to improve with mods. this mod covers a lot of stuff that you can fiddle with https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2911

Cool, thanks all :cheerdoge:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Sniping people on the battlements during a siege assault is still probably my favorite thing in this game. I'm happy to let the AI deal with the melee scrum.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

LLCoolJD posted:

Sniping people on the battlements during a siege assault is still probably my favorite thing in this game. I'm happy to let the AI deal with the melee scrum.

solid way to level up riding + bow/crossbow easily

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

love that battanian lords hang out in the archer backline with no horses. made it supremely easy to run caladog down and actually kill him

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
They really need to integrate that freelancer experience into the base game. It seems very slow to get enough renown to serve as a mercenary in a lord's army at the beginning of the game, and serving as a regular soldier would really bridge that gap.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

On the other hand it lessens the chaos of trying to coordinate multiple groups of troops

yeah this is the reason I play M&B, finding a hill and ordering your dudes around while dodging arrow fire and hoping your small group of shield retainers can hold off this next wave of idiots who want to taste mace is unique as poo poo. Getting lost in the sauce is a plus, not a problem.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

In this freelancer mod, what happens when the lord gets owned

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Didn't the devs tall about combat AI improvements compared to warband at some point? Yet still npcs just charge straight at you and dont give each other space.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bltzn posted:

Didn't the devs tall about combat AI improvements compared to warband at some point? Yet still npcs just charge straight at you and dont give each other space.

when you fight enemy lords they will use some basic tactics like "don't charge headfirst into their archers' zone of fire" but yeah bandits are all suicidal. i think i read somewhere the strength of the npc tactical AI is based on the party leader's tactics skill level and well bandits have no party leader except Generic Bandit

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

Also it's been like, 30 or so in game years and 200-300h of playtime into my current campaign, my first character died and I'm playing as my brother (who is now 60 and may kick the bucket soon), my little brother and sister both died in sieges but still have 3 offspring, our empire (whichever one Rhaghea is part of) has conquered all of the Khuzaits after a grueling endless war, the Northern Empire and Sturgians have also been completely defeated, and we control about a third of Calradia.

The game still needs a lot of work but

Bannerlord good

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

BMan posted:

In this freelancer mod, what happens when the lord gets owned

you get separated from them and need to find them in a few days (based on distance) or be considered a deserter. it's kinda hosed since if you do it as a opening to the game you have no gear or anything to protect yourself with on the trek back. you can pony up some money for a faster horse to make it much safer.

if you're a bodyguard the lords safety is all that matters. if you go down before they do you don't take a penalty.

the pay isn't terrible either, as long as wars are actually occuring. I spent a few hour session in dertharts camp and shoot heads with a crossbow for good chunk of change. I feel like you need to do something on the side in the downtime between wars and just let the ai fight looters; like watch a stream/video.

im about ready to call it and mutiny the next time he chases a 3 stack of looters across calradia. bandit lord stuff (in the same mod) might be cool to try

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

bltzn posted:

The game still needs a lot of work but

Bannerlord good

There’s a lot of really good genuine criticisms but Bannerlord when I played last year was still far and away better than modded-out-the-wazoo Warband.

Does that linked tweaks mod have default values when installed? I can’t really trust myself to adjust values myself, I just want a tweaked experience where I’m not grinding incessantly or losing time to weird mechanics.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

wearing a lampshade posted:

solid way to level up riding + bow/crossbow easily

Bow is at 175 so it's probably time to buy a sweet crossbow and plink at some people.

Edit: It's good that the game doesn't force me to start a kingdom. I'm content to be a lord of an established kingdom. After going with the Western Empire last year the Vlandians seem so much more secure with their backs to the west coast.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 12, 2021

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

Bow is at 175 so it's probably time to buy a sweet crossbow and plink at some people.

Edit: It's good that the game doesn't force me to start a kingdom. I'm content to be a lord of an established kingdom. After going with the Western Empire last year the Vlandians seem so much more secure with their backs to the west coast.

Being a lord or mercenary is fun, but the problem is the AI is not good and you have so little influence over the conduct of wars, etc, which is crippling because the AI makes such weird decisions

Also there's some policies that pretty heavily favour the leader of a kingdom

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm trying another run with Freelancer & Improved Garrisons. Spent 7 in-game years as a soldier in Monchug's army, the last 3 of which I was getting top bodyguard pay to protect my liege lord from the dangers of traveling to the same half dozen villages ignoring the wars he had declared. That money gave me a nice bank to build my own forces and improve my new fief.

I'm a bit bored at the moment, because my faction hasn't been at war in quite a while. According to the diplomacy screen, there is 0% faction interest in going to war with...anyone. I didn't know that was even possible in a M&B game.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

Being a lord or mercenary is fun, but the problem is the AI is not good and you have so little influence over the conduct of wars, etc, which is crippling because the AI makes such weird decisions

Also there's some policies that pretty heavily favour the leader of a kingdom

I have a good / bad idea that I have no clue whether it will work.

I've already married Caldog's daughter and she's pregnant. I'm still fairly low influence, but the dude loves me. I'm thinking if I get relations up with other people in the kingdom, then I can "accidently" snipe him in the back of the head battle after battle until he dies. Dunno if that will make me king, but I want to see. At least then I'd have an established kingdom instead of everyone hating me.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Hot Diggity! posted:

I've already married Caldog's daughter and she's pregnant. I'm still fairly low influence, but the dude loves me. I'm thinking if I get relations up with other people in the kingdom, then I can "accidently" snipe him in the back of the head battle after battle until he dies. Dunno if that will make me king, but I want to see. At least then I'd have an established kingdom instead of everyone hating me.

I have no idea if it will work, but I wanted you to know that I laughed a lot at this scheme.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Chas McGill posted:

I have no idea if it will work, but I wanted you to know that I laughed a lot at this scheme.

When a ruler dies the ruling sometimes does jump to you that way; I got my first southern empire by marrying Ira and waiting, so it is certainly possible.

I think there’s a X amount of RNG involved on the succession selection too.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I should probably find a wife huh

And also do that in bannerlord

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

I realized my current character should probably get married and have some kids cause theres a good chance his nieces and nephews will all die, problem is I can't remember which noble lady I was trying to date.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BMan posted:

I should probably find a wife huh

:quagmire:

Did they fix your siblings starting with 1's in everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

this is extra funny because his dad dying in an "accident" is basically exactly how caladog became king

unfortunately the in game succession doesn't work like the lore actually describes. the dialog all says succession is entirely hereditary for every kingdom except the couple of empire factions but the way it actually works is with the ruler dies there's a vote among the clans to decide which clan becomes ruling clan, and that clan's leader becomes king. you could still become king after caladog tragically dies in battle but it'd only be if you're popular with the other nobles, not because you have hereditary rights to it. I think the player does tend to win the election most of the time because you'll generally end up super popular among all the other nobles because anyone playing the game will end up helping other nobles in battle and capturing cities more than any of the npc lords ever bother doing

this is really dumb with the southern empire where when rhagea dies it doesn't automatically go to Ira whichis supposedly the entire reason they're fighting the war

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 13, 2021