Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My longtime friend who became a cop like 5 years ago is quitting his job and moving but it's too late, he's totally indoctrinated now. He's moving to Texas in a few weeks because apparently rural Oregon was too liberal. He follows Tomi Lahren on instagram, was making jokes about Caitlyn Jenner at dinner, saw some guy singing the national anthem at the NBA Finals was like "drat RIGHT you're standing!" and constantly talked about how there are no homeless in Houston and Austin is the "Portland of Texas" and how lovely it and run down it is and it's so diverse and "black people just act normal", which was said right next to my half-black friend who I just looked at the whole time to see his reactions. I can already see in his mind he's setting himself up for a Austin vs. Houston / left vs. right thing in his mind where he'll rag on Austin for being lovely and liberal or something. Another friend who is a weird positive reinforcer who visited him down there when they were looking for houses said "the sidewalks in Houston even seemed to have a sparkle"

lol he used to be in a punk band back in high school and was firmly in the Not My President anti-Bush / Propagandhi camp

oh and he's 100% latino, like his parents were literally illegal immigrants for decades

oh well

sometimes people just gotta go nuts because they're bored I guess

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Zachary_Cohen/status/1414684094022275081

Anyone wanna take this one

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Numlock posted:

I worked at a place where the unofficial policy was to buy beer for the shift if you had a big fuckup.

Eventually I hosed up and bought some Shiner, but was told in no uncertain terns that "we don't drink that fancy poo poo here." And had to go back to the store for Miller lite (their unanimous request).

I love Shiner but I can’t see how anyone in their right mind would call it fancy.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

AHH F/UGH posted:

I can already see in his mind he's setting himself up for a Austin vs. Houston / left vs. right thing in his mind where he'll rag on Austin for being lovely and liberal or something. Another friend who is a weird positive reinforcer who visited him down there when they were looking for houses said "the sidewalks in Houston even seemed to have a sparkle"

Does he know about Lina Hidalgo

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

My longtime friend who became a cop like 5 years ago is quitting his job and moving but it's too late, he's totally indoctrinated now. He's moving to Texas in a few weeks because apparently rural Oregon was too liberal. He follows Tomi Lahren on instagram, was making jokes about Caitlyn Jenner at dinner, saw some guy singing the national anthem at the NBA Finals was like "drat RIGHT you're standing!" and constantly talked about how there are no homeless in Houston and Austin is the "Portland of Texas" and how lovely it and run down it is and it's so diverse and "black people just act normal", which was said right next to my half-black friend who I just looked at the whole time to see his reactions. I can already see in his mind he's setting himself up for a Austin vs. Houston / left vs. right thing in his mind where he'll rag on Austin for being lovely and liberal or something. Another friend who is a weird positive reinforcer who visited him down there when they were looking for houses said "the sidewalks in Houston even seemed to have a sparkle"

lol he used to be in a punk band back in high school and was firmly in the Not My President anti-Bush / Propagandhi camp

oh and he's 100% latino, like his parents were literally illegal immigrants for decades

oh well

Figures he would be a cop too.

It's always funny to me how the crustiest of punks eventually age into the more aggressive spectrums of conservative leanings. It's nice to now CHUD-ening can happen to my people anywhere and not just the RGV, honestly it's pretty much who you surround yourself with all the loving time in work and social life. I hope he's miserable living inside Houston and not some shitburg like Sugarland or Katy.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

AHH F/UGH posted:

My longtime friend who became a cop like 5 years ago is quitting his job and moving but it's too late, he's totally indoctrinated now. He's moving to Texas in a few weeks because apparently rural Oregon was too liberal. He follows Tomi Lahren on instagram, was making jokes about Caitlyn Jenner at dinner, saw some guy singing the national anthem at the NBA Finals was like "drat RIGHT you're standing!" and constantly talked about how there are no homeless in Houston and Austin is the "Portland of Texas" and how lovely it and run down it is and it's so diverse and "black people just act normal", which was said right next to my half-black friend who I just looked at the whole time to see his reactions. I can already see in his mind he's setting himself up for a Austin vs. Houston / left vs. right thing in his mind where he'll rag on Austin for being lovely and liberal or something.

oh well

Lmao, he's going to be so loving mad when he gets off that plane.

I honestly don't understand how you could think Houston is the place to move to if rural Oregon isn't white and conservative enough when Dallas is right there.

Though for serious tell him he needs to fly down here to check things out first. That way he'll never follow through on moving to texas.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

chglcu posted:

I love Shiner but I can’t see how anyone in their right mind would call it fancy.
Yeah it blew my mind.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I have a feeling that not even Dallas will be conservative enough. Maybe Collin County.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Jiro posted:

Figures he would be a cop too.

It's always funny to me how the crustiest of punks eventually age into the more aggressive spectrums of conservative leanings. It's nice to now CHUD-ening can happen to my people anywhere and not just the RGV, honestly it's pretty much who you surround yourself with all the loving time in work and social life. I hope he's miserable living inside Houston and not some shitburg like Sugarland or Katy.

He's moving to Sugarland.

He had roughly similar glowing things to say about Dallas (I'm going to assume they also hate poors just as much as Houston because they're all evangelicals). I think he just really really wants to hate Austin because while he's okay with being not racist, he's still pretty transphobic and thinks poor people just need to work hard like his immigrant parents and poo poo like that. Kind of sad.

Also his wife is an immigrant too, which is like... what. I look at her when he talks about some of these things and I can't quite tell if she's also bought into it or if she's just not really sure what he's saying. I think she just likes how much nicer and wealthier it is than rural Oregon. I think she just wants to gtfo of Oregon but I wonder how my friend will do once he realizes he doesn't hold power anymore and instead he's forced to serve literally anyone at his new business.

Numlock posted:

Lmao, he's going to be so loving mad when he gets off that plane.

I honestly don't understand how you could think Houston is the place to move to if rural Oregon isn't white and conservative enough when Dallas is right there.

Though for serious tell him he needs to fly down here to check things out first. That way he'll never follow through on moving to texas.

He has a few times, they're starting a totally different business down there. I assume he'll be in for a shock at some point when he realizes where all the homeless people go in the wintertime when Oregon gets too cold.

Kunabomber posted:

Does he know about Lina Hidalgo

I highly doubt it. I don't think he's a Trump supporter necessarily, he just listens to the people who sycophant and grift off of the right.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

AHH F/UGH posted:

He had roughly similar glowing things to say about Dallas (I'm going to assume they also hate poors just as much as Houston because they're all evangelicals). I think he just really really wants to hate Austin because while he's okay with being not racist, he's still pretty transphobic and thinks poor people just need to work hard like his immigrant parents and poo poo like that. Kind of sad.

He hates Austin because that's the rhetoric he's been told.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Oh, yeah, no doubt about it. He's totally an imprint person who will just listen to whatever people above him in rank say and adopt it as his own gospel. If his captain said he visited Austin one time and didn't like it (for his own hateful lovely reasons) then therefore Austin is bad because my boss told me so and it's true. Cops aren't into critical thinking, just listening to superiors and following orders. I think he went to Austin but probably was told it was lovely beforehand, so he was just going there to validate and confirm his own predetermined opinion that it's a dirty, expensive, liberal, homeless hovel. I don't know if there's a specific word for it, but like, mentally prepping yourself to hate something and then making sure it comes true to spite yourself. "Oh yeah I was told it was crappy and YEP it sure is!!! I knew it!!!"

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 12, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1414715114247364612

Trump is going to loving cream himself when he pulls the rug out from under P and once again destroys Jeb

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

chglcu posted:

It's not the same color going out as it is going in.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

Oh, yeah, no doubt about it. He's totally an imprint person who will just listen to whatever people above him in rank say and adopt it as his own gospel. If his captain said he visited Austin one time and didn't like it (for his own hateful lovely reasons) then therefore Austin is bad because my boss told me so and it's true. Cops aren't into critical thinking, just listening to superiors and following orders. I think he went to Austin but probably was told it was lovely beforehand, so he was just going there to validate and confirm his own predetermined opinion that it's a dirty, expensive, liberal, homeless hovel. I don't know if there's a specific word for it, but like, mentally prepping yourself to hate something and then making sure it comes true to spite yourself. "Oh yeah I was told it was crappy and YEP it sure is!!! I knew it!!!"

If he was already living in rural majority white Oregon, it's white people he feels the most comfortable with/used to socializing with even if his wife is a 1st gen immigrant. Also as others in this thread have noted some of the most conservative people in this country a lot of times are fresh from another country immigrants as far as work ethic ideals, religious ideals etc etc etc. He'll fit in fine in Sugarland and probably get flooded out just the same.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

Trump is going to loving cream himself when he pulls the rug out from under P and once again destroys Jeb

Those George P/Trump koozies are gonna become a fantastic collector's item once this happens. If anyone ever comes across some of those koozies, please steal one for me

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I worked at the Houston Public Library for a while and.. hoo boy.. uh. He doesn’t know anything.

I guess Sugarland is a bit more red but even then he’s gonna be supremely disappointed with the metroplex lmao

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
^^^
He's going to have fun with Fort Bend County Judge KP George and his Democratic majority Commissioners Court.

AHH F/UGH posted:

oh well

I love Houston - I will defend its honor to the ends of the earth. However, I have never once met anyone that had something nice to say about our sidewalks.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

No Safe Word posted:

He hates Austin because that's the rhetoric he's been told.

Yeah, he should hate Austin because it actually kind of sucks instead

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

The sidewalks in Houston, where they exist, are almost always in lovely condition. There are also a lot of homeless people here, where the hell did your friend hear otherwise?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bradj_TX/status/1414725766705827840

Fun times ahead

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

The sidewalks in Houston, where they exist, are almost always in lovely condition. There are also a lot of homeless people here, where the hell did your friend hear otherwise?

Here's how you know he's kind of gullible and easily impressionable - he told their real estate agent giving them a tour "show us the worst part of Houston" and she took them to an underpass and as he describes it "it had a sign that said 'Camping: $5 a day' and it was empty." I guess they believed it or something? Like, in the same way he's too trusting of his superiors, he's too trusting of a real estate agent that way. You could almost say he's too nice for his own good, to his own detriment and the detriment of society.

The worst part was absolutely the "black people are normal" thing. The sycophant friend who visited my cop friend when they were scouting for houses told some very quick anecdote about a black guy holding a door for him somewhere and that was apparently enough to make them all think that racism doesn't exist in Texas. It all had a very "antifa!! BLM!!! scary!!!" vibe to it without directly saying it, aside from the comment about standing for the anthem, but my cop friend said that because I guess he thinks he's above the rest of us since he's a cop and can just come out and say poo poo like that. I wouldn't be surprised at all if sycophant friend moves down to Texas for similar reasons (actually just parasocial weirdness)

Jiro posted:

If he was already living in rural majority white Oregon, it's white people he feels the most comfortable with/used to socializing with even if his wife is a 1st gen immigrant. Also as others in this thread have noted some of the most conservative people in this country a lot of times are fresh from another country immigrants as far as work ethic ideals, religious ideals etc etc etc. He'll fit in fine in Sugarland and probably get flooded out just the same.

Oh yeah, no question. He's definitely in the "well my family came here legally" (they didn't though) "so why should illegal immigrants come and take our jerbs?!? I work hard!!!" even if he wasn't a cop before. Extremely "I got mine; gently caress you, cousin". If he was just being honest he'd say "I am a bigot about many things still and I'm bored in small town Oregon and I want to live in a place where I feel like I have a bigger soap box and a community of allies". Which I guess in Houston?

Again he's a friend but man it just sucks to see people who were fine your whole life suddenly make this insane sea change in the past 18 months since covid happened and the Qanon conspiracy poo poo went off the rails.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 13, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

He’s withholding funding so, you can call the sessions how does any of it get done?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Q: Do Texans drive a lot?

A: https://twitter.com/paytonchung/status/1414689896372097026?s=20

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lmao r u kidding me

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The nice thing about Houston is that even rich areas have some absolutely garbage roads. Equal opportunity potholes.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

Here's how you know he's kind of gullible and easily impressionable - he told their real estate agent giving them a tour "show us the worst part of Houston" and she took them to an underpass and as he describes it "it had a sign that said 'Camping: $5 a day' and it was empty." I guess they believed it or something? Like, in the same way he's too trusting of his superiors, he's too trusting of a real estate agent that way. You could almost say he's too nice for his own good, to his own detriment and the detriment of society.

The worst part was absolutely the "black people are normal" thing. The sycophant friend who visited my cop friend when they were scouting for houses told some very quick anecdote about a black guy holding a door for him somewhere and that was apparently enough to make them all think that racism doesn't exist in Texas. It all had a very "antifa!! BLM!!! scary!!!" vibe to it without directly saying it, aside from the comment about standing for the anthem, but my cop friend said that because I guess he thinks he's above the rest of us since he's a cop and can just come out and say poo poo like that. I wouldn't be surprised at all if sycophant friend moves down to Texas for similar reasons (actually just parasocial weirdness)

Oh yeah, no question. He's definitely in the "well my family came here legally" (they didn't though) "so why should illegal immigrants come and take our jerbs?!? I work hard!!!" even if he wasn't a cop before. Extremely "I got mine; gently caress you, cousin". If he was just being honest he'd say "I am a bigot about many things still and I'm bored in small town Oregon and I want to live in a place where I feel like I have a bigger soap box and a community of allies". Which I guess in Houston?

Again he's a friend but man it just sucks to see people who were fine your whole life suddenly make this insane sea change in the past 18 months since covid happened and the Qanon conspiracy poo poo went off the rails.

I dont know much about Sugerland, having only visited it once in the 13ish years I've lived in houston *
(Houston is a huge, sprawling mess)but he's not going to like it here. Yeah he's going to be able to find like minded people to hang out with but Houston is about as far as you can get from a conservative utopia as you can get and still be in Texas.

Also how dark is his skin? He could go somewhere like Conroe but if he doesn't pass the paper bag test he won't like it there but for completely different reasons.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I dunno, average Latino colored? His family is more Spanish blooded than Aztec blooded so I guess that works in his favor in that he's taller I guess but I don't think there's any hiding that he's not Caucasian.

Also, from my own research (not hearsay from idiot Republican cop coworkers) Austin actually is the most liberal big city in Texas so wouldn't that be technically further from a conservative utopia than Houston? I guess I was just under the impression that Houston is just kind of a bigass city that still leans kind of right because it's Texas and maybe Austin is dead-on centrist (relative to nationally)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

austin has a plastic bag ban and you hear better rhetoric from greg casar than from forth worth i guess but they're so hamstrung by the legislature and race-to-the-bottom taxation jurisdictions that you can't really tell. austin could very well be more to the left than seattle but until that power is allowed to be exercised by the state gov we'll never know. i'd say it's about as left + nimbys as the average bay area city

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Austin is left leaning in a white hipster way, for better or worse (worse).

You will see some performative chud poo poo in Houston because it's still Texas but its rare enough that it sticks out just from how infrequent it is.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
This idiot is going to flame out and wind up in loving Liberty or Dayton or something lmao

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
He’s gonna move to Vidor and have no idea why everyone hates him

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Last time I drove through Vidor, which I'm now realizing is more than a year ago thanks to the forever year, there was a big rear end South Vietnam flag visible off I-10. Not garrison size but still big.

Made me glad to think how those miserable assholes were getting displaced by refugees of all people.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=46RK1g-29-Y

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That guy’s friend will find plenty of like-minded idiots on NextDoor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/caylajharris/status/1414947952301428752

quote:

Menéndez said part of the reason the 2003 quorum break didn’t yield a positive outcome for Democrats is because “there wasn’t an endgame.” Now, he said, Texas representatives are pushing hard for federal measures that could usurp the voting bill they oppose.

So, I have some bad news about your endgame.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AHH F/UGH posted:

I dunno, average Latino colored? His family is more Spanish blooded than Aztec blooded so I guess that works in his favor in that he's taller I guess but I don't think there's any hiding that he's not Caucasian.

Also, from my own research (not hearsay from idiot Republican cop coworkers) Austin actually is the most liberal big city in Texas so wouldn't that be technically further from a conservative utopia than Houston? I guess I was just under the impression that Houston is just kind of a bigass city that still leans kind of right because it's Texas and maybe Austin is dead-on centrist (relative to nationally)

Austin has a population built up from decades and decades of the smart/weird kids from the conservative suburbs and small towns around the state moving there at 18 (maybe to attend UT, maybe just because they heard it was the "weird" place in the state). So a lot of the liberalism of Austin is very performative. (For example, it's very important that people of all genders are allowed to be topless at places like Barton Springs. Once every few years or so some parent gets upset that their kid saw some bare breasts at the springs and makes a complaint to the media about it, and that media coverage quickly results in "free the nipple" rallies.) Being liberal is Austin's brand as much as its actual politics. And there are some pretty bad blind spots in Austin's liberalism, especially in regards to race, but for the most part it is genuine.

Of course, since so many folks in Austin are from the conservative suburbs of other parts of Texas, they often see the state's other major cities as a lot more conservative than they really are. Houston and Dallas are easily as liberal as Austin, but when you grew up in Sugarland or Plano you probably weren't exposed to that aspect of those communities.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Austin is liberal in that they want PoC cops to do the street executions

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i say swears online posted:

austin has a plastic bag ban and you hear better rhetoric from greg casar than from forth worth i guess but they're so hamstrung by the legislature and race-to-the-bottom taxation jurisdictions that you can't really tell. austin could very well be more to the left than seattle but until that power is allowed to be exercised by the state gov we'll never know. i'd say it's about as left + nimbys as the average bay area city

The bag ban was overturned because the local conservative groups argued that plastic bags all ending up in the creeks wasn't actually an environmental issue and was a huge burden on them and the Texas courts are primed to accept conservative bullshit arguments at face value.

But turns out people liked using reusable bags that didn't tear if you put a cucumber in them wrong and stores liked not having to provide hundreds of single use plastic bags so we still have bag-free streets and streams.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A single plastic bag caught in a tree along the bayou takes about 15 minutes to remove. The maintenance crews have to fish these out CONSTANTLY. The city has to provide that labor so you'd think they would love to save precious tax payer money any chance they could get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/NYTnickc/status/1414963082464477190?s=20

The Democrats are very smarting.