Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

DildenAnders posted:

How long should I wait after putting in an online application to email them and confirm they've gotten my application?

I remember taking a course in college that said to wait three days after applying, and then call every week until you get an interview or they say the position is closed.

HOWEVER, my current employer only accepts online applications and I don't think the department that processes them even has a phone number that is accessible to the public. Someone applying gets the "Thanks for your application!" splash page and then you get a call at some point or you don't. So it depends on the company I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DildenAnders posted:

How long should I wait after putting in an online application to email them and confirm they've gotten my application?

You probably shouldn't. It mostly annoys people.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
A US banking question: I know you have to fill out a form if you deposit $10,000 or more at one time, but what if you are transferring the same amount from one account to another with the same bank?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

DildenAnders posted:

That time is probably better spent on your next application

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

DildenAnders posted:

1 day. Show that initiative.

Every job I've ever gotten as been by circumventing normal HR flows.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mister Kingdom posted:

A US banking question: I know you have to fill out a form if you deposit $10,000 or more at one time, but what if you are transferring the same amount from one account to another with the same bank?

I’m fairly sure that is intended to prevent money laundering and only applies to cash deposits, not checks or other transfers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

No you don't.

The bank has to fill out a form if you deposit or withdraw more than $10,000 in cash. Anything past that is what your particular bank chooses to do.

$10k isn't poo poo to a bank, FYI. Unless it's a smaller branch and then they probably don't have $10k on hand for a withdrawal and you should call ahead a few days in advance.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Methanar posted:

Are you over 50?

All the advice I've ever seen is that this just pisses people off, and that no company hires this way any more.

https://www.askamanager.org/2014/06/should-i-go-around-hr-and-apply-with-the-hiring-manager-directly.html

Ditto following up on applications. Just don't bother.

https://www.askamanager.org/2019/11/should-i-really-follow-up-on-my-job-applications-a-week-after-applying.html

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Methanar posted:

Circumventing normal HR flows is a great idea if you actually know the people and you're getting in through networking
If you're some stranger the hiring manager has never met before it's just gonna be weird

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Motronic posted:

No you don't.

The bank has to fill out a form if you deposit or withdraw more than $10,000 in cash. Anything past that is what your particular bank chooses to do.

$10k isn't poo poo to a bank, FYI. Unless it's a smaller branch and then they probably don't have $10k on hand for a withdrawal and you should call ahead a few days in advance.

I wasn't sure. I googled the question and some of the sources seem to indicate the form was required for any such transaction.

Also, thanks, Kaiser Schnitzel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Are you over 50?

You should march right on in with three copies of your resume on high bond paper and, completely unannounced or invited, demand to talk to the CEO, or at least the president. That's how you get a job sonny. It's called moxy and they will respect you for it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Are you over 50?

All the advice I've ever seen is that this just pisses people off, and that no company hires this way any more.

I look at it this way: Everybody gets that advice, whether from an older relative or a lovely older person at a college career center or whatever. If even half of those applications follow this advice, the hiring manager's gonna be getting dozens to hundreds of those loving emails. What do you think is more likely, the hiring manager going "ah, look at all these go-getters, I'd be happy to reply to all these high-initiative applicants!" or the hiring manager going "Look at all these assholes who think they're too good for the application process" and then you go into the vetting process with a strike against you.

Choose accordingly.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hyperlynx posted:

Are you over 50?

https://www.askamanager.org/2014/06/should-i-go-around-hr-and-apply-with-the-hiring-manager-directly.html

Ditto following up on applications. Just don't bother.

https://www.askamanager.org/2019/11/should-i-really-follow-up-on-my-job-applications-a-week-after-applying.html

In high school I literally walked up to the service desk of a smallish hardware store and asked they were hiring and talked to the manager and it worked. 1950s style.

I got my summer job in college by asking my old boss at the hardware store to put in a good word for me at the hq doing an education related internship. Saying something about how I liked the company and wanted to continue to contribute in new more valuable ways.

My first job I got out of college was by emailing whoever was the technical contact for their whois domain registration at a place I wanted to work. I explained my situation. It worked.

You could either try or I guess do nothing and keep hoping the system works for you. I'm sure all the bitter antisocial forums posters will do their best to bring you down to their level.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I'm applying to be an entry level lab tech at a state lab if it makes it any easier. I was thinking of maybe just emailing the head of the lab, does that seem like a bad ide?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

DildenAnders posted:

I'm applying to be an entry level lab tech at a state lab if it makes it any easier. I was thinking of maybe just emailing the head of the lab, does that seem like a bad ide?

Have a positive attitude and enthusiasm in the email with some relevant subject matter about how you're specifically interested in <lab specialization> and yeah go for it.

If you really want to try hard, pull up the lab head's linkedin and see if he has any published research and offhand acknowledge that you're interested in whatever topic his research is on as part of why you're interested in the job.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Methanar posted:

In high school I literally walked up to the service desk of a smallish hardware store and asked they were hiring and talked to the manager and it worked. 1950s style.

I got my summer job in college by asking my old boss at the hardware store to put in a good word for me at the hq doing an education related internship. Saying something about how I liked the company and wanted to continue to contribute in new more valuable ways.

My first job I got out of college was by emailing whoever was the technical contact for their whois domain registration at a place I wanted to work. I explained my situation. It worked.

You could either try or I guess do nothing and keep hoping the system works for you. I'm sure all the bitter antisocial forums posters will do their best to bring you down to their level.

:okboomer:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

That high school job scenario happened in 2013. You know what academics love? Being fellated over their research.

Have a positive attitude and tell people what they want to hear.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
To counter the above, out of the 6 jobs I've had not a single one of them had me do a follow up call or check in or anything like that. Also 5 of them were just because I knew someone who worked at the place. Now the like 50 odd other places I've tried applying too and followed up with did not hire me. I remember one jackass saying something to the effect of "Oh we're busy right now until August" and hung up on me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Methanar posted:

I'm sure all the bitter antisocial forums posters will do their best to bring you down to their level.

:ironicat:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's an inverse correlation to the type of companies that have online application systems and the type of company that will accept a firm handshake as a resume booster.

Something tells me this hardware store didn't have you fill out an online profile and upload your resume.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Methanar posted:

None of which is circumventing the normal HR flow, nor is it nagging a company for a response, which is what you've advocated doing.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
:ironicat:

The metastasizing cancer of online negativity is extremely bad for you.

It turns out you really do have to willingly choose to have a positive attitude in spite of everything and to willingly remove yourself from being terminally-online and overexposed to the hate-masturbation of whatever anonymous people over the internet are doing on a given day.

It's even possible to enter a postiive feedback loop rather than a negative one.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Methanar posted:

Big Frustrated Dad At Restaurant Just Wants A Normal Burger energy.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I will agree that it highly depends on the nature of the job and the organization, how many qualified candidates you think there might be, etc.

Khizan posted:

I look at it this way: Everybody gets that advice, whether from an older relative or a lovely older person at a college career center or whatever. If even half of those applications follow this advice, the hiring manager's gonna be getting dozens to hundreds of those loving emails. What do you think is more likely, the hiring manager going "ah, look at all these go-getters, I'd be happy to reply to all these high-initiative applicants!" or the hiring manager going "Look at all these assholes who think they're too good for the application process" and then you go into the vetting process with a strike against you.

Choose accordingly.

Basically this describes the two possible scenarios, the quoted poster obviously assumes most jobs will be more like the latter (and is probably correct imo), but that doesn't mean there are no jobs like the former. Sciency/academic stuff is more likely to be a place where directly reaching out might help you, but it's extremely context dependent and likely depends on if you have something specific to say. If it's just "hey did you get my application :shobon:" I'd say pass on it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
More like "Hey should I buckle up and wait for a month before I actually get hired, or is this going to occupy 4 months of my life and then evaporate into nothing?" Which sounds stupid but literally just happened to me, and I cannot afford to have that happen again.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

DildenAnders posted:

More like "Hey should I buckle up and wait for a month before I actually get hired, or is this going to occupy 4 months of my life and then evaporate into nothing?" Which sounds stupid but literally just happened to me, and I cannot afford to have that happen again.

You've applied, that's all you can do. If you contact them again, it's not going to improve your chances and might worsen them. If you contact someone there other than who you applied to, you'll absolutely worsen your chances and piss them right off.

It sucks, but the smart play is to hope you'll get contacted but just proceed with your life as if you're not going to so much as hear from them, never mind get the job. Apply for other jobs in the meantime.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I got my job by spamming. Contacted every company in $CITY who might hire someone with my specialty, asking if they had a position. One did.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have two 20g vials of gallium that I inherited. One of them melts readily, the other does not. I'm guessing it's contaminated by something, but I have no idea as to the history of these two vials. What are likely causes, and is there any reasonable (safe and doable at home) way to "fix" it?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have two 20g vials of gallium that I inherited. One of them melts readily, the other does not. I'm guessing it's contaminated by something, but I have no idea as to the history of these two vials. What are likely causes, and is there any reasonable (safe and doable at home) way to "fix" it?

Name me another forum where questions like this get asked in a (relatively) general purpose thread. I love it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

For under twenty bucks retail, I’d just buy more.

If you want to process it for the experience, here’s a 1935 paper that uses recrystalization. You’ll need glassware, distilled water, a heat source, ice, hydrochloric (muriatic) acid, and glass-tipped tweezers. You could probably substitute plastic tweezers or even chopsticks, though.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://youtu.be/sUSjWfBBu2Y maybe? For a specific value of "reasonable (safe and doable at home)", anyway, this guy is doing it for a hobby, but has a PhD. And he knows what it's contaminated with...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks y'all! I think anything that requires a fume hood is probably not worth attempting at home (or at any rate, not at my home), so yeah, I think it'll just remain a curiosity until and unless I find someone who wants a chunk of mysteriously solidified gallium. At least I have one vial that's still liquid!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

What kind of answer are you expecting to get? If someone does reply, they’re not going to say “oh yeah our hiring process is totally hosed up, look elsewhere.”

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This may be very dumb: I remember something about electric cars not actually making an engine sound, and the nice guys at Tesla or whoever put one in so you can tell there's a car approaching. Is that a dumb factoid I should forget, or is it real?

And in case it's real: can you somehow change the sound to, say, a tie fighter or something?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s government requirement in the EU and U.S..

People have hacked in other sounds, but I don’t know that any manufacturer makes it easy to change because, again, regulations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok why does nobody believe me when I say "don't kill your apps on your phone"? I explain in detail why you shouldn't and and yet I get the response "well I'm going to do it anyways because it saves me battery". Made even more frustrating because I'm the goto for tech questions yet this specific advice is 100% of the time ignored by several people

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ok why does nobody believe me when I say "don't kill your apps on your phone"? I explain in detail why you shouldn't and and yet I get the response "well I'm going to do it anyways because it saves me battery". Made even more frustrating because I'm the goto for tech questions yet this specific advice is 100% of the time ignored by several people

It doesn't make intuitive sense and people like tidying up.

And when you go into detail about stuff like that, people don't care.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It’s government requirement in the EU and U.S..

People have hacked in other sounds, but I don’t know that any manufacturer makes it easy to change because, again, regulations.

That's awesome! But also implies DLC for your car down the road...

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

It doesn't make intuitive sense and people like tidying up.

And when you go into detail about stuff like that, people don't care.

I guess, but I've even tried simplifying by flat out saying "your phone knows how to save energy, you're making it do more work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It's not true for all types of apps (i.e. apps using GPS, or downloading stuff).