Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

So we know that at least the Archer and the Miner survived the Sunsplit. Which brings up the question of exactly *how* they did it. Looks like whatever the Miner did that turned her into the Holiest Knight had to happen between then and now.

It looks like the Emperor of Heaven and Kaigen may actually be different people. Though I still think they might have some stuff in common. Maybe they might be related, as it happened with Merkja and the Miner.

Also, poo poo, Kwiat ran out of food. We should get back to her as soon as we're back to the Dark End. Let's hope the game doesn't decide to yeet us yet again to another random point in the spacetime continuum or something, I'd be pretty bummed if the chicken dies.

As for the vote, I voted for the "It came from the Island" option. Mostly out of curiosity, we lack a lot of info on exactly *what* the Island even is or what happened there that scarred the cultists so much. But from what little we know of it, this might actually be the most lethal out of all the options. Worst case scenario, we might be forcing an early encounter with Doubler or something, I think it was stated they were born from the Island.

Grond fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I hope Kwiat can forage in the mean time, but we gotta get back ASAP.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I pointed that out a page or two back. I'm hoping one of the special services the Kobold can offer is to take a few days worth of food to our hideout for us to feed our chicken.

Edit: And the PC has also stated that they don't want to kill the Lords now. I'm thinking/hoping that means there IS a "pacifist" way to deal with the Lords (and I'm guessing that's why the Farmer got the furthest despite being the "weakest")

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The nest option sounds Doubler related, iirc their entry mentioned nests.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Yeah, that's possible as well.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Weird. It randomly times out for me or works fine. I guess try your votes a second time if it's not taking. I'll give it a little longer.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - This is what you get. This is all your fault.

you know what you did to Momma Fireswamp don't you loving lie to me you know you hosed up - 5
It came from the Island. 3rd Year. That's how much it's grown. - 8
GUESS. WHO. FOUND. A. NEST. - 6
Screaming through crowd and brush furious coming right for you only you just you. - 2

Her hand is shaking my shoulder. I can feel it in slowing motion. The sick certainty of responsibility, as a bubbling burning oil smell clogs my head with pain. Slow breathing confusion, as the mushrooms struggle to sculpt plastic neurons into alert. Gravitysight shows it roaring through the swamp waters, sloughing off its thick necromance as it shambles with three years of tropic-boiled rebirth. It's coming right for me.

She's shaking my shoulder. Get ready, get ready. It's near, it's here.

Boss Fight Log! posted:

JEVICA has joined your party!
[Lv. ??]
HP: ?? / ??
FP: ?? / ??

Everyone is screaming,

I can't see.

...LOADING

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Point Moloch Buster straight down. Pull trigger. Seems fairly straightforward to me.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Have we seen Jevica in loading screens or the Blue Book?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
~ a thought ~

quote:

Zodiark, Keeper of Precepts

Strongest of the scions created by the gods, they feared his growth, and so kept him a child. So indomitable is his strength that all things are by him twisted and pressed into oblivion.

He alone fashions the laws governing all things, and administers punishment in place of the gods. So is he Keeper of Precepts, and his authority is absolute.

i would not describe the gods of ivalice as beings whose example one would wish to follow

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

t3isukone posted:

Have we seen Jevica in loading screens or the Blue Book?

Page 37. She's been mentioned as part of the Home timeline with Miner and others. Apparently she gave that iteration of us a pillow.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's a familiar kind of chaos. A dozen conversations, sharpened ears able to make them all out with my freakishly overtrained clarity.

"JEV MOVE"

"Look at the shape-"

"BackbackbackBACKBACKBACK-"

"Don't touch th-"

"DON'T BURN! DON'T BURN!"

"Call Levity!"

"-turning into meat?"

Oh, I feel it now. Its gravity is right there. What is that smell?

(PE) 13 - [5]+[4]+[2] = 11 - Success.

Broken Silver posted:

Tropic waters.
You've never seen them, have you? They were all gone by the time the world ended. The only beach you ever stood on was coldwashed pale with a thousand iron claws.

Richest oil.
Gag-sweet awful. Profoundly pure. Nothing putrid about it. It's concentrated, heavy with the secret of self-multiplication, the very idea of the substance taken to the second power.

Accusatory meat.
Angry from lifetimes of boiling, rippling at the smallest passing of air, unable to slough off no matter the degree of rot. It cannot begin to express the weight that it drags in pain.

My sword is slung, and I lean back with the gravity. My neurons have plastishaped to a mushroom cap, its own little psychic hub to help guide me. All three of my eyes are blind, thoughts refracting through the palatial gemhalls of the mushroom neurons, feeding through my other senses to understand as much as possible.

Even though I fight for my life again, I find myself with too many distracting thoughts. I can hear the mushroom cluster thinking, separate from me. So I think...

...if the Silver is asleep, the Dark is in retreat, and Anxiety has ego death, then,

Who am I?

A Third posted:

I am you.

Oh right. That's true. I'm the me who was the you that existed not long before I met Paprika Blue.

The revelation is key, but I have to lose track of it because I'm happy to hear a terrible engine sound next to me.

First thing's first, I have to walk this halfblind.

STATUS EFFECTS posted:

BLIND
You can’t see anything! All vision-based PE rolls automatically fail. This applies a -10 penalty to all rolls requiring sight (attack rolls, Defense, DX rolls, and so forth). This penalty is only a -6 if you have been blind long enough to acclimate to it, or have secondary senses strong enough to soften it.

Offsets: [Gravitysight]+[Mushroom Blossom]

-6 To-Hit (11 or less to hit)
-0 Defense (No Penalty To Hit You)

That's the best they together can do.

I let the mushrooms talk to me, and do a first-steady with a hand on the shoulder of the rubicund aura.

Pshrooms posted:

(INPSIGHT) 11 - [3]+[5]+[3] = 11 - MUSHROOM SUCCESS SUCCESS

The information is wild and mad, but I'm ready for that. Not because of the mushrooms, but because the T̸̢̛͘͜H͜͜Ì͢͞N̡͟͝͞͞G̶̶̢͟ it's absorbing thoughts from is unlife, unwell, uncontrollable.

Because it's thinking about the Island.
It's thinking about those nights.
All but one shore surrounded; crystal to void.
Countless walked out of the discolored waters.
As the days dragged on and everything blossomed with the storm, some began to change.
They changed like this.

This thing is here because of me. There's a lot of the Island kept sanctuary beyond here, within Megalith, and this one smelled damnation and couldn't help but answer.

It's the rubicund who goes first. There's terror there, I think rightfully so. It's just us under the small overgrown cliff among the swamping trees as the misshapen immensity tries to murder.

Boss Fight Log! posted:

Jevica goes Berserk!!!
You hear an engine revving.
There's a loud scream...

(Jevica - ?) 13 - [2]+[1]+[3] = 13 - Success?

...and something wet being shredded up.

Jevica deals ?? damage!
Sounds like it was a strong hit.
It's angry now.

You sling your blade blind, following the gravity of your intent.

(!Tyranny - Blindstrike) 11 - [2]+[5]+[4] = 11 - Exact Success.

Enormous cancer-thick flesh intercepts with a quick strike to snap me in two.

(3rd-Year Shale Giant Counterslap) 9 - [1]+[3]+[5] = 9 - Exact Success.

I feel my sword meet with the killing thought. The force is stupendous.
I don't know what happens to it. I know it recoils, but my arm is sweetly pop-torn out of the socket.
I have one quick chance to set it right.

(!First-Aid Reset Arm) 12 - [5]+[4]+[3] = 12 - Exact Success.

There. Steady, smartly, swiftly.
CRRNGGHLCH.
Back in. Let go of the horror. Stings, but it's working.

But it's not working, is it?
I already know it's not going to.
Trying the same thing, over and over again.

I can sling my sword even blind, strike true and flesh will grind. There's no stopping that. No ending the killing, no permanence in the passive. But this is the Island. This is its cycles. The only way to fight that kind of gravity is to begin building momentum in the other direction. I know I don't exist outside this moment. But while I do, I can be someone new. I think, using the space the mushrooms have afforded me, of who that new could be.

Boss Fight Log! posted:

Because I don't exist, blind inside an unknown End, my choices are manyfold. But there's one I can use immediately, because I've already known it.

(WL - False Holy Magic - Tourmaline Rain) 19 - [1]+[2]+[2] = 5 - Great Success!!

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I guess we'll finally get to see what the consequences of Tourmaline Rain are. We know it ends fights, but the rest of the description is garbled.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

̸̛͡ posted:

̶̨͢͝ ͝ posted:

̢̨́͜ ̡҉҉̡̀ ͜͝҉͝ posted:

͡ ͏҉̸͏̶ ̵̧̛͘ ̴͘҉͜ posted:

͢ ̷̧̀͜ ̵̡҉̸͠ ̵͘ ̛͜҉ posted:

̵̢̀́͝ ̴̴̢ ̶̛̀͘͝ ̢͟͝ ̷̀ ̢͜ posted:

͠ ̸̵̧́ ҉̸̀̀͝ ̷̵͟͡ ̶̶̡҉ ̧́͜͡ ̴͘ posted:

҉ posted:

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Huh. So us having Tyrant as class means we have a unique onerun going on? Well, unique compared to presumably other weird runs people have had.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
surprised that people actually routinely achieve certain endings, i thought no onerun had made it to one

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

surprised that people actually routinely achieve certain endings, i thought no onerun had made it to one

Nobody has succeeded a single onerun in Zen Hell End, that is correct.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Pretty sure dying is an End. Somebody who has hunted down three four copies of the game is pretty invested. Presumably getting killed in a fight and getting killed by running out of time gives a different End.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

So are we actually playing a weird minor NPC? And you can achieve Ends without beating the onerun? Wild.

E:f,b

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 18, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

And you can achieve Ends without beating the onerun? Wild.

E:f,b

Ends can only be achieved if you win the onerun. Death is simply a 'Dead End'.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

A newish runner who’s managed to track down three copies? Talking about the Tyrant as a mysterious unknown when we know every onerun plays as a tyrant (e.g. with us knowing that an early first manifestation was a good thing)? I don’t think these people are playing -ZEN- [Hell End], I think they’re playing -ZEN- [Holy End] or something. Which doesn’t exist as far as our “real-life” character knows. And that last poster is identified with the sun symbol, and they’re talking about Aitvaras’ guaranteed death when he doesn’t exist in the Dark End as far as we know. Something is really weird here.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
I can't help but wonder what's the relationship between the games. Maybe Zen Hell End is kind of a Kaizo Mario-like mod made from Zen Holy End? An ultra difficult modification made from the original one... Maybe these posts were made before Zen Hell End was developed. That or there are parallel realities in the "real" world too.

Although that doesn't explain why that guy doesn't know who the Miner is. Maybe he only knows her as the Holiest Knight? Or maybe she straight out doesn't exist in most copies of the game or something.

There's another interesting tidbit in that the Gravedigger (that is, us) dies with absolute certainty after a year in the Holy End. Given that the Holy end and the Dark end have been following roughly the same events, I think no run of Zen Hell End has ever made it past a year either, that seems to be when the huge difficulty spike occurs.

Looking at the Blue Book posts it seems our max rank is X for some attribute (Will, I'd assume). I know the thread has been pretty much against leveling up Tyranny but even leaving aside whether it's really evil, I don't think we'd have much lf an option if we want to overcome the things this game will keep throwing at us.

All of this and we still haven't seen the Hell End itself afaik.

Grond fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 18, 2021

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
It sounds like what no one has ever managed to do is win a run with the Tyrant, specifically, and maybe -ZEN- [Hell End] is specifically the version or a mod where you are allowed to/must be the Tyrant.

Also from context it sounds more like whatever game/version the forum posters are talking about isn't a onerun, and is in fact repeatable, hence the one person getting several ends.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, all the mentioned details (and the fact that one poster doesn't even know who the Miner is) makes me think that we're seeing discussion of multiple forms of the same game/story, and that our player has both the most difficult version and a lot of aberrant behavior in their copy (because of bugs, age, or... something else).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Princey posted:

It sounds like what no one has ever managed to do is win a run with the Tyrant, specifically, and maybe -ZEN- [Hell End] is specifically the version or a mod where you are allowed to/must be the Tyrant.

Also from context it sounds more like whatever game/version the forum posters are talking about isn't a onerun, and is in fact repeatable, hence the one person getting several ends.

Here's something that's been bugging me... why do they call it a onerun if it's the only way to play? The way people talk about it in the blue book make it sound like an Ironman-style way of playing, while others make it sound like it's the only option. The only thing I can think of is that it's similar to Nethack (or most other rogue-likes) where you have one save file, and either a onerun is meant to do it in one sitting, or the game is so balls-crushingly difficult that the community expects people to cheat by copying saves in order to actually finish the game.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Randalor posted:

Here's something that's been bugging me... why do they call it a onerun if it's the only way to play? The way people talk about it in the blue book make it sound like an Ironman-style way of playing, while others make it sound like it's the only option. The only thing I can think of is that it's similar to Nethack (or most other rogue-likes) where you have one save file, and either a onerun is meant to do it in one sitting, or the game is so balls-crushingly difficult that the community expects people to cheat by copying saves in order to actually finish the game.

I believe the idea of the onerun is that you get one save file per copy of the game, ever; when that saved game ends (apparently unsuccessfully for all oneruns), that copy of the game can never be played again. Remember that it took the player of this run a lot of effort to track down an old unopened copy of the game. (Presumably during the game's heyday, people could buy multiple copies, but it looks like it's a dead scene now, because... nobody can play the drat thing.)

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah, I assumed it was like that one Killswitch creepypasta, that the game somehow corrupts itself and becomes unplayable after one playthrough.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, there’s no mention in the Blue Book that we’ve seen about any way of playing the game other than a onerun. And if there were multiple forms of the same game floating around, then you would expect people to be making use of that in strategising - at least when it comes to things like build testing, why would you play the version that bricks itself after a single run when you could play the version that doesn’t? I think the different ends correspond not only to different games, but also to different worlds outside of the games, so that the Holy End takes place in a game which exists in the Holy Real World. Of course, being able to connect between different worlds like that would imply some serious supernatural fuckery with the game, but we’ve already seen plenty of hints of that. (Hell, even the fact that you can’t make copies of the game and that it destroys itself when you go datamining is a pretty good hint of that - normal software doesn’t work that way!)

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 18, 2021

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, much like Killswitch before it, the onerun version of the game is clearly not running on real software rules. I tend to suspect that we (the readers of the SA thread) are now seeing snippets of multiple player-realities with different versions of ZEN -- one that's a onerun game nobody's ever succeeded at, where the supernaturally nameless Tyrant is the PC and the Miner is a major character, and (at least) one where the game seems to work more normally, people have beaten it with multiple ends, the Tyrant/Gravedigger is a minor character slated to die, and the Miner may or may not exist. (The fact that one commenter doesn't know who the Miner is might indicate that there are multiple realities even of the "normal" ZEN, or it might be a red herring.)

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I would suspect given the corrupted text on most of the posters that they're the alternate-reality BB contributors, while the last poster with the sun sign is from our world (us, possibly) due to the uncorrupted symbol. Not sure why they wouldn't question Aitvaras, though.

Our Tyrant got sucked into the "Heaven End" run via Dark Intervention. Guess when that happened, the player did too. The catastrophic collapse of everything due to Miner proccing Million-To-One may be contributing as well.

Weird thing to note though, our character doesn't treat this as "Hell End". An earlier post indicated there were "Heaven" and "Hell" interventions, but when we crossed into Heaven End they got a "Dark" intervention. The "Dark End" has been referenced by our character before as well. Thread title and opening, of course, says this is "Hell End" though. Prior to starting the game, did our character get replaced with the "Dark End" equivalent, hence the custom start and unusual routes we've managed to work ourselves onto? Is that so radically infrequent that "Dark" interventions never crop up for the BB to note? If we're in the "Hell End" universe peering into the "Heaven End" universe, have we actually seen what goes on in the "Dark End" universe? Is that crossover part of why our character has a confused memory on what they're being punished for?

Black August posted:

There was Another End. A way to mend. A Heavensend.

A begin again.
[/i]

▴▴▴

you're not there and you can't stop crying
they're going away

you're holding on and begging no, what you've lost God only knows
it hurts

to be here again,

inside the Dark End.

Black August posted:

[Sometimes, something new was discovered by the art of sheer luck. Every time the dice rolled, the RNG spoke, there were 4 chances of something exceptional happening. The Critical Success, the Critical Failure, and their more significant and rare forms- the Holy Intervention and the Hell Intervention. Two miracles, two damnations. It opened paths that would normally never be allowed with mundane success and failure, but it was entirely a shot in the dark if one would occur during a significant moment of RNG. Even if every onerun was the same, the chance of a Critical Success or Holy Intervention wouldn't be a promise even if the same roll for the same situatuon was made by a thousand runs.]

My head is hurting now...

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
To the best of my knowledge, the situation seems to be the following:

We're playing @ -ZEN- [Hell End]. Inside it, we're playing as the Tyrant, in a timeline known as the "Dark End".
We've also seen glimpses of another game, called @ -ZEN- [Holy End]. The game world for this one is the same as in @ -ZEN- [Hell End], but it follows the "Holy End" timeline, where the player controls an entire colony instead of a single character.

If a timeline called "Hell End" exists, we haven't seen it yet, though I suspect the color Yellow might be associated with it in the same way Tourmaline is associated with the Holy End.

Nobody has ever managed to properly beat @ -ZEN- [Hell End]. All endings achieved in the game are "Dead Ends". While @ -ZEN- [Holy End] seems to have been beaten, reaching other kinds of endings (such as a "Paradise End").

As for why both the timelines and the endings inside the game are called "Ends", I don't know. I suppose it may have to do with the fact that this world is what remained after the Fall, when everybody died, and so it's an End, in a sense.

After the exception that occurred while inside the Cultpartments, we've been leaping between timelines, that's why we've been able to interact with colonists like the Singer of Cadanza (in the Holy End), while also interacting with Crocell and Cassandra as agents of MC&D instead of colonists (in the Dark End). The player is only able to perceive what happens in the Dark End, watching the Holy End events as glitches. He also referred to the MC&D containment site as the "Fortress of Apples", I think, which raises some interesting questions... Maybe the apples did end up taking over the containment site eventually, and that's what players see in-game.

There's also that scene in the Island where we spoke with the Singer of Cadanza before she multiplied alongside the rest of the NPCs. I don't know how that happened. I do think it's pretty significant that both the Miner and the Mouse of Sight trio were there, since it looks like the Island was what turned people into Cultists and Lords.

As for what triggered our ability to leap between timelines, we don't know yet. We know it started happening shortly after our encounter with Paprika Blue. Maybe our Ego Death experience had something to do with it.

Grond fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 21, 2021

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
The analysis here is really clearing things up for me, thanks.

Does anyone know of anything else like this, with the metanarrative of a game inside the story or the Dark Souls style putting pieces together style of lore while not being a game? Because this is fantastic and I honestly just can't get enough. (Sorry if that's an off-topic request.)

EDIT: On-topic, looking back, there's a section early on where __҉_ was used:

Black August posted:

"The wait's all over kids! Here __҉_ is, the __҉_ 'With A Smile Like The Sun!' "

t3isukone fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 18, 2021

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

t3isukone posted:

Does anyone know of anything else like this, with the metanarrative of a game inside the story or the Dark Souls style putting pieces together style of lore while not being a game? Because this is fantastic and I honestly just can't get enough. (Sorry if that's an off-topic request.)

Petscop is the closest thing I can think of atm. The way it managed to emulate the feel of a PS1 is very impressive, though personally I didn't like it that much in that it promises a lot and then it underdelivers. As a watching experience it's fine, and the story itself is easy enough to follow, but there's a lot of stuff it leaves unexplained or only vaguely hinted at. Like the room impulse, the generations, the ghost room, the mechanics of rebirth... I get they were going more for a "dream logic" feel but if I see stuff like that I'm going to try to figure it out, and it's just not that kind of story.

Another one I really liked was "The Northern Caves", the first 70-80% is absolutely amazing. It deals with an online message board trying to make sense of the near incomprehensible final book of a famous author (not that I would know how that feels like). The ending is a little weak, but the journey is really good. Hell, it made me want to read a book that doesn't even exist :v:

It's published in AO3 but it's not a fanfic or anything of the sort. Though I suppose it deals with fandom culture, in a sense.

Grond fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 19, 2021

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

t3isukone posted:

Try Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. It’s an absolutely excellent Earthbound-like JRPG, and takes place inside a child’s dream - so as you play through the surface narrative in his dream, you work out what’s going on in real life. The same is true of Omori (which is also excellent), but to a lesser extent.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

t3isukone posted:

It's sort of a storytelling device native to games; Dark Souls is mostly known for perfecting it. The Dark Heresy and other 40k RPGs in the line that started at Fantasy Flight Games (except Only War) can be read this way, though, with occasional incidental stat boxes which have their own sort of narrative value in this context. This in turn grew out of early D&D's frankly underrated decision to provide an "ecology" for each monster, which makes monster manuals a lot of fun to read.

You might actually try real ancient history and mythology, where there are huge gaps in our knowledge. The Dark Souls style really developed out observing that storytelling in games happens mostly outside of text boxes, along with games like Vagrant Story beginning to use real architecture to design game environments. It turns out real history is full of mysterious objects and architecture which must be read visually alongside whatever fragmentary and/or secondhand written accounts remain.

e: here's something to get you started; also c-spam has a pre-modern history thread which is one of the better threads for people who aren't very into c-spam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

e2: also, you might try looking up famous args and creepypastas

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 21, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I raise my hand to Heaven.

It opens, and I make a Sign.

The sky sees and it remembers, once upon a time.

A Third posted:

I'm laughing while I cry. The red aura is holding me and she's crying too. The rains have come and with them is the promise of final relief. I hear dozens of voices around me go quiet with confusion, before it gives way to grief.

The immensity stands still before it retreats back to the waiting darkness. It could easily kill us all, trivial to bring End, but the rains are saying something the Island isn't ready to hear. It's asking a promise the Island isn't willing to make.

We all know that as soon as the rain ends, we will forget. But until then, under torrent tourmaline, every resistance is taken away, every unknown pain is given say. I hold onto the red aura and I think again about who I am as I begin to melt away. No anxiety, no extrasensory, no tyranny.

Just the me who could never-

No.

The me who could possibly be.

We'll have to see.

"That way does not have deal that Kobold Market has offer."

Wh-

WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%] [OH SHI-]

A foot slips halfway over the edge, before you stumble back with a half-scream. Your rush to move sees you trip up and over the little dragon standing behind you, sending you to the pavement with a hard thud. Considering how weak and wounded you were, it doesn't hurt nearly as bad as you're expecting.

HP: [ 20 / 21 ] [How... did I heal?]
FP: [ 14 / 14 ]

You stand up and immediately pull your gun, blinking rapidly against the sudden return of your vision. Dark skies strung with boiled gold. Midday? Nothing? Nothing around you, sweep the gun keep it aimed out be ready for- huh. Actually nobody here but a little dragon, colored orange and black. It blinks wetly while staring at you patiently.

Awkward, you holster your gun and assess out of sheer bewilderment. You were uh. You... nuuuhhmmmnnn... at the spring, right. Then this little dragon, and he's going to lead you somewhere safe for DEALS and PRICES. Right, right. What the living hell is wrong with your memory? Is this because of the Silver Mind's malfunction? Did you try something psychic again like an idiot and then nea- wait WHY are you so high up anyways?

Looks like you're standing on a displaced chunk of road, an overpass, quietly nestled among trees and next to a sheer drop down a cliff you nearly launched yourself from. How did you even get up here?

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

You sit down and shake, struggling to push out of the dissociative state and fearful confusion. The little dragon tugs your sleeve after a while, and you relent, standing up to continue a journey with blank behind you, and blank before you. First, you need to climb down the stony wreckage. The kobold has no trouble doing so, scrabbling down swiftly. You peer for a good spot, and start the steady descent back to ground level.

(ST - Climbing) 21 - [1]+[3]+[5] = 9 - Success.

Slow. For God's sake go SLOW. One hand at a time, sweaty slippy on soft stone. All the way down, hug the ground. You squat and spend a minute to let your biology find calm, which it does with an unusual haste; for some reason you taste rain in your mouth and you think of a weeping ruby.

ANXIETY: [10%]

You still keep a hand on gun and sword, Red's shroud pulled close to your face while you listen to the Rivergreen with quiet. The little dragon seems untroubled, at least. Come to think of it, the trees don't have that same pebbly deep brown as before. These seem more spindly, elongated and frond. You figuuuuhhhnnnnmmmmUUUSSHRROOOMMM

(pmpuPsPhSrsoIoLmVER) ** - [1]+[4]+[1] = 6 - .

THIRD EYE STARE WIDE posted:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So... did Tourmaline Rain jump us into another end/timeline entirely?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
That or our hosed up brain means we've lost a bunch of time since we encountered the giant and just can't remember what happened after. It's unclear exactly what tourmaline rain does, beyond the hint about no violence.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

The rains have come and with them is the promise of final relief.

Ah. So at a guess, the Rains may be... ultimately fatal once certain conditions are met (considering the line about the Rains asking a promise from the Island that it isn't willing to make YET). Wasn't this a fairly high level skill? It could be it was a plot skill that was either dummied out or is just horribly glitched because we didn't unlock it "properly". It makes sense that the "peaceful" skill will, in some way, be related to true death, considering how often people say stuff like "They look so peaceful" or "they're finally at peace" about someone after they died. On the plus side, we know what the Rains do now, and no one had to die to find out!

As far as what just happened, I'm wondering if it's possible that, without our eyesight and having to rely on the gravity sight, that we didn't go to another timeline (the kobold at least just makes it sound like we went the wrong way and not vanish completely), but that we "saw"/"felt" what was going on elsewhere, and interacted with that world because of the Silver Mind (maybe we went/saw where it "hid" from The Tyrant, "Through a mirror darkly" and all that). Basically, we were still "here", but because we couldn't actually SEE hereto focus on it, the mushrooms and Silver Mind hosed with our perception of realities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

JT Jag posted:

So... did Tourmaline Rain jump us into another end/timeline entirely?

I... I think we were in the Holy End. In the Home colony there is a Kobold named Boss, he's the one that taught us Lockpicking. He'd have no reason to run a Kobold Market in the Rivergreen if he was a colonist, so I think that the Kobold we're interacting with right now is not him. But Jevica... I think she's the Berserker. I think she's part of the expeditionary force.

Then after we came about, Jevica and the rest of the colonists disappeared, and I don't think they'd abandon us unconscious in the middle of nowhere. So I think we're in the Dark End right now, after the rain, especially considering we have dark skies in the middle of the day.

Randalor posted:

As far as what just happened, I'm wondering if it's possible that, without our eyesight and having to rely on the gravity sight, that we didn't go to another timeline (the kobold at least just makes it sound like we went the wrong way and not vanish completely), but that we "saw"/"felt" what was going on elsewhere, and interacted with that world because of the Silver Mind (maybe we went/saw where it "hid" from The Tyrant, "Through a mirror darkly" and all that). Basically, we were still "here", but because we couldn't actually SEE hereto focus on it, the mushrooms and Silver Mind hosed with our perception of realities.

I think the silver mind was out cold for this entire sequence. As well as "I" (Tyranny) and "you" (Anxiety). That's why we didn't have any visible counters for both. We were "A third" for this. I'm thinking this is the personality we had after our duel with the Ogre Knight, when the Silver Mind failed to reconciliate our personalities after we forced it to tap into the future of Tyranny and use Vehemence (a tyranny ability we do not have right now).

Black August posted:

Even though I fight for my life again, I find myself with too many distracting thoughts. I can hear the mushroom cluster thinking, separate from me. So I think...

...if the Silver is asleep, the Dark is in retreat, and Anxiety has ego death, then,

Who am I?

Oh right. That's true. I'm the me who was the you that existed not long before I met Paprika Blue.

The revelation is key, but I have to lose track of it because I'm happy to hear a terrible engine sound next to me.

It seems to me as if this third personality is the true self, maybe? It is what manifests after all others have been exhausted for some reason.

In our encounter with Paprika we said that we had 3 colors. Royalist red, Shadow black and Sunny gold. No silver, for some reason. Supposing each of these colors represent a different personality, I'm guessing Shadow black is "I"/Tyranny, Sunny gold is "You"/Anxiety, and the Royalist red would be this "red aura" we've been talking about while in the rain. This red aura, which is very pointedly referred to as a "she". Maybe Kwiat? I don't think it's Burner.

I think the Silver was also referred as a "fragile royalist metal" in another post by Tyranny. So then who would be the King that made them so?

Another thing to note is this map:

It corresponds to region to the east of the Rivergreen. Looks like we're going to the Bloody Megalith sooner than expected, maybe?

And, well, as an aside to this, I've been looking and "3rd year Shale Giant" appeared as a option in the poll when we encountered Jandou Joe in the Holy Valley. Too bad we didn't vote for it back then, I'd like to know how the hell could that have been survivable at that point in time.

Grond fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 21, 2021