Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Barreft posted:

Before I go to bed, is Jinder seriously back and feuding with Drew over fake swords and a motorcycle. I feel gaslighted here

i feel like i'm high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
best storyline in wrestling

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

ooh ahh

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DEAR RICHARD posted:

this is the only way i can watch raw

Seriously

rotinaj posted:

I realize that this may be a dumb question, but has anyone ever heard of WWE hiring a Japanese-to-english language instructor specifically to help these wrestlers learn? Is that a thing that happens? It seems like it should be, and same with the Mexican wrestlers. That and acting coaches, to help all wrestlers learn how to try to make the terrible backstage segments written by washout sitcom writers be slightly less bad

Except WWE doesn't want to spend money, right, right...

Why would they do that? It's just another person on the payroll. Talent should be spending their own money on learning to speak english

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Barreft posted:

Before I go to bed, is Jinder seriously back and feuding with Drew over fake swords and a motorcycle. I feel gaslighted here
It's actually happened and it's supposed to make Drew a badass babyface

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

RealFoxy posted:

It's actually happened and it's supposed to make Drew a badass babyface

Okay fine, I'll believe this. Maybe Vince thinks it'll give Drew huge pops on the first live raw over a foreigner (Canadian)

Drews not a foreigner he has white skin shut yp

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Honestly the swords and motorcycle thing sounds pretty sick. I'm still not going to watch the show but the version of the story I have in my head pretty much owns

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

rotinaj posted:

I realize that this may be a dumb question, but has anyone ever heard of WWE hiring a Japanese-to-english language instructor specifically to help these wrestlers learn? Is that a thing that happens? It seems like it should be, and same with the Mexican wrestlers. That and acting coaches, to help all wrestlers learn how to do the terrible backstage segments written by washout sitcom writers be slightly less bad

Except WWE doesn't want to spend money, right, right...

Like the English language skills that WWE wrestlers learn after several years is actually so low compared to so many immigrants, much less important actor-entertainers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Devil May Cry has sword and motorcycles. Maybe it was like Devil May Cry.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hell, if their feud culminates in a cinematic swordfight on motorcycles match, I'd watch that.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BrigadierSensible posted:

Sorry to be possibly belabouring my point.

All of this poo poo doesn't just apply to Sarray or Japanese wrestlers. It is relevant for all non-English speakers. I just thought of it because of how blatant it was in that one promo clip I saw.

It's so tough to learn a different language, but then on top of that it's like learning normal English and at the same time learning WWE language. You finally learn how to say "I lost the belt in front of the fans and had to go to the hospital" in English then have to translate it into "I lost the championship in front of the WWE Universe and had to go to a local medical facility."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The only thing that saved this from being a bottom five ever Raw is 1)Drew somehow slipping Jinder a fake sword and then ripping up a motorcycle by hand and 2)A disheveled Bob Lashley taking a vow of celibacy and trashing The VIP Lounge and threatening to put Kofi in a box and send him back to the circus…”BUT THE CIRCUS IS DEAD. LIKE YOUr career THIS SUNDAY”

Rick fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 13, 2021

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

It's so tough to learn a different language, but then on top of that it's like learning normal English and at the same time learning WWE language. You finally learn how to say "I lost the belt in front of the fans and had to go to the hospital" in English then have to translate it into "I lost the championship in front of the WWE Universe and had to go to a local medical facility."

English is a moderately difficult language to learn, on top of that learning a second language while working a full time job with a schedule like the WWE doesn't make things easy.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They hired a legend to teach them English, but classes were canceled after they looked at that adjective, play.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's 1:55am

I'm laying down in bed, missing Slapjack

Miss u sj

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Slapjack is going to win the Rumble next year by dropkicking Rick Steiner over the top rope.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RealFoxy posted:

Kairi Sane and Io never got that benefit, they were always expected to speak in English from day one.. Nakamura was a man of few words to begin with. Tozawa's English is actually pretty drat good, but he doesn't cut promos so it doesn't matter.

Once again someone forgets that KUSHIDA's on the roster

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Rarity posted:

His DeLorean still hasn't taken him to a timeline where he's relevant

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rarity posted:

https://twitter.com/KUSHIDA_0904/status/1412607637615697922

RealFoxy posted:

His DeLorean still hasn't taken him to a timeline where he's relevant

I'm willing to believe KUSHIDA's brain broke that he was NJPW's junior ace forever and within one year he was usurped in popularity, legacy and influence by Hiromu who made the jump to heavyweight and being seen as a legitimate title contender without having to get swole.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

What if KUSHIDA bumps into KUSHIDA and they dissolve into slime like Ron Silver in Timecop?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Gonz posted:

What if KUSHIDA bumps into KUSHIDA and they dissolve into slime like Ron Silver in Timecop?

This would explain what happened to KUSHIDA yes

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
you would need some sort of device to separate the two. some kind of... time... splitter

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm trying to find a non-racist way to say this, (and probably failing). So please forgive me.

But I am an ESL Teacher, and I don't like the way that the interviewer, (and her opponent), are speaking at native level speed and intonation to Sarray, who is clearly not at all fluent in English.

She is clearly trying her best, and uses her limited language skills to get across the point, (She is sad Toni Storm won't fight her, but accepts the challenge of the red headed wrestler), but it is a horrible position for her to be put in. It takes away all emotion and naturalism away from the promo/interview, and makes the posing/pretention of the other girl look even more affected and artificial than it should.

This could all be solved by having an interpreter. Sarray gets to emote, and use her own words, so the whole thing gets to seem more like actual human interaction rather than a script being recited, (the way she says yeah and agrees to the fight at the end in particular looks like she didn't understand a word that was said, but knew she had to agree to the fight so just said "yeah"), and as an audience we can relate more to the performers behaving as if they were real life humans.

For a company that already has a racist attitude and disposition towards wrestlers with "foreign" accents that do speak perfect English, this seems to not only be placing an unfair burden on Sarray, but also actively punishing her and hindering her ability to get over by shining a glaring spotlight on her perceived "flaws", (Not speaking English is not a flaw, just that Vince thinks it is).

She deserves better. Again, I apologize if any of that came across as racist.

My stance is that they should let wrestlers cut promos in their native languages in part because allows for greater inclusivity but mostly because it sounds loving badass. Thunder Rosa has perfect English but when she switches to Spanish in her promos you know she's about to rip out someone's beating heart.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

did drew at least use his sword to destroy the motorcycle?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Lamuella posted:

My stance is that they should let wrestlers cut promos in their native languages in part because allows for greater inclusivity but mostly because it sounds loving badass. Thunder Rosa has perfect English but when she switches to Spanish in her promos you know she's about to rip out someone's beating heart.

I think AEW is handling Andrade El Idolo perfectly

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

An underlooked part of the conversation is that speaking English isn't really the same thing as cutting a promo in English. The company needs to do better and not put all of it on ESL talent to learn English when that isn't even the whole stumbling block.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

sticklefifer posted:

Hell, if their feud culminates in a cinematic swordfight card games on motorcycles match, I'd watch that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lamuella posted:

I don't know if you've gotten around to watching Elevation yet but Jora Johl cut a promo entirely in Punjab with subtitles

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Alaois posted:

I don't know if you've gotten around to watching Elevation yet but Jora Johl cut a promo entirely in Punjab with subtitles

Halfway done with it. That was awesome and his match that followed was great too.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Again, I apologize if any of that came across as racist.

As long as you didn't tweet out "All I'm saying is, the white guys cut successful promos" and double down on it several hours later then you're fine.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There’s still a spot left in the women’s MITB

Fightful says there’s been a strong push for it to be Sonya Deville’s in-ring return. She’s been training for a bit and they’ve been impressed

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

the destroyed sword wasn’t the real sword
it was the decoy sword
the real sword was safe and sound
the motorcycle wasn’t safe

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
at least Drew is a smart babyface. too bad he's feuding with Jinder

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Man.... Bobby Lashley saying "ITS TIME TO GET BACK TO BUSINESS" made me think Cedric and Shelton were about to walk out. Poor guy did his best but he just doesn't have the chops, he was hanging on by a string bumbling through that super scripted promo. Nicest thing I can say is "well, he didn't forget his lines probably"

Chris James 2 posted:

There’s still a spot left in the women’s MITB

Fightful says there’s been a strong push for it to be Sonya Deville’s in-ring return. She’s been training for a bit and they’ve been impressed

I'd loving hope they were impressed, she wasn't injured and she's already better than half of these dorks. They were impressed enough with Eva Marie to hire her.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Man, going from carrying the brand through the whole pandemic era to feuding with Jinder the moment crowds return, yeesh

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Man, going from carrying the brand through the whole pandemic era to feuding with Jinder the moment crowds return, yeesh

WWE regards selflessness as weakness and will punish people accordingly.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

If I were a WWE performer and Vince or someone Vince Adjacent told me they were impressed with my performance, i’d probably develop immediate cold sweats and worry about being saddled with a new conjunctivitis gimmick and a name like….

*spins the lovely wrestler name wheel*

…….”Delmonico P. Ribbons”?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

"Love your ring work and we have a great character for you. Your name is Misty Wets, and you're a wrestler with poor bladder control. During your matches commentary will speculate on whether you'll pee yourself during the match. Here's your grey sweatpants, great work, kid!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Lamuella posted:

"Love your ring work and we have a great character for you. Your name is Misty Wets, and you're a wrestler with poor bladder control. During your matches commentary will speculate on whether you'll pee yourself during the match. Here's your grey sweatpants, great work, kid!"

“Hey, that was a great promo you cut out there during the PPV preshow! But next week, we’re gonna team you up with Colonel Polybius. DON’T LOOK AT HIS EYES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It’s going to shock the world when Roman loses his title to “Super Strong” Pelvis Broderbund in an inferno ladder match at Survivor Series.