Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fart Car '97 posted:

I have none of these problems with my 2020.

Do you have buttons for the climate controls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
loving wild that people are selling gtis fort prices that high... got me thinking

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Do you have buttons for the climate controls?

Yeah, an 18' Si and all 2020 sport models should have identical infotainment/climate controls. All 10th gen civics should have the same climate control buttons regardless, but I don't know how they display in the low end LCD thing.

I'm wrong, Honda did a head unit refresh in 2020, adding physical buttons to replace the haptic stuff on the left side of the screen and probably updated the software to better stuff as well.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 9, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

loving wild that people are selling gtis fort prices that high... got me thinking

Same. Carvana offered me what I bought mine for 3 years ago, time to trade up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I mean, you can sell at an inflated price but unless this is your secondary car anything you buy is going to be inflated in price too.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I could make out with 10k over what I owe on my GTI right now and 3k above what I paid new, but what the hell could I buy? There are a few older Golf Rs, but I still have four years on my warranty and only 4k miles.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Fart Car '97 posted:

I have none of these problems with my 2020.

They added a bunch of buttons in 2019 didn't they?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

prom candy posted:

They added a bunch of buttons in 2019 didn't they?

They did, after all of the complaints about missing buttons and knobs and the lovely infotainment.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

Same. Carvana offered me what I bought mine for 3 years ago, time to trade up.

Did you cross-compare to CarMax? Either way, I'm curious how much they'd care about mods..

Edit: Carvana will give me ~$17,500 for mine and I declared that it had modifications. Tempting!

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 9, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah idk about msrp offers from carvana, they just said 21k fort my 17 sport with 35k mi and clean Carfax

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

If shift is in your area check them too. They gave me $3.5k more than carvana was offering for my Mazda3 back when I sold earlier this year.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I mean, you can sell at an inflated price but unless this is your secondary car anything you buy is going to be inflated in price too.

Yeah it's a seller's market now, you're not getting any advantage whatsoever selling your car if you gotta turn right around and buy another one, not worth the hassle in the slightest.

Unless you plan on taking the bus or biking to work until the market calms down but who knows when that will be :v:

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

TheBacon posted:

If shift is in your area check them too. They gave me $3.5k more than carvana was offering for my Mazda3 back when I sold earlier this year.

Thanks for this. Looks like Shift won't make an offer for a modified car. If I de-tune it and put OEM exhaust back on it (un-check those two boxes on the form), it looks like they can do about $2300 more. Definitely an interesting comparison.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah it's a seller's market now, you're not getting any advantage whatsoever selling your car if you gotta turn right around and buy another one, not worth the hassle in the slightest.

Unless you plan on taking the bus or biking to work until the market calms down but who knows when that will be :v:

Or have a motorcycle in the garage…

And at least in my case the weird specific car I was listing after wasn’t hit too hard by the current market beyond it already had a big car need premium.

thehouseplant posted:

Thanks for this. Looks like Shift won't make an offer for a modified car. If I de-tune it and put OEM exhaust back on it (un-check those two boxes on the form), it looks like they can do about $2300 more. Definitely an interesting comparison.

Yep I swapped my suspension back and got way more for a few hours of work. FWIW I think it’s very much an individual experience on the inspector they send but 100% I could have not touched my car at all and dude would have given me full value, all he checked was start up and tread depth, but he also was only a month or two there and definitely knew very little about cars. That’s a YMMV thing though, and personal ethics I suppose a bit.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I just test drove a John Cooper Works Mini Hardtop 2 Door (automatic) and wow, hot hatch good.

Light and spicy but still has plenty of space to carry stuff because I don't have 3+ people to put in it

Value-wise it's a barely-driven 3,400 mile example model year 2020 and is apparently $32k-ish down from upper-30s/low-40s. It wasn't on my list of weekend warrior-mobiles but now is heavily favored

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Nomyth posted:

I just test drove a John Cooper Works Mini Hardtop 2 Door (automatic) and wow, hot hatch good.

Light and spicy but still has plenty of space to carry stuff because I don't have 3+ people to put in it

Value-wise it's a barely-driven 3,400 mile example model year 2020 and is apparently $32k-ish down from upper-30s/low-40s. It wasn't on my list of weekend warrior-mobiles but now is heavily favored

Is that the one with the crackle n pop factory exhaust? Because I love that poo poo

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yup, sport mode definitely lets the engine do that

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Any news on the next WRX having a hatch open, or an hatch option for the Civic Si or Type R? I want to go back to a hatch soon and the Mk8 VWs are turning me off with their touchscreen stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

blk posted:

Any news on the next WRX having a hatch open, or an hatch option for the Civic Si or Type R? I want to go back to a hatch soon and the Mk8 VWs are turning me off with their touchscreen stuff.

Si’s already been confirmed sedan by Honda themselves. Type R will be a glorious hatch

Subaru would be stupid not to bring the hatch back for the next WRX, but it’s Subaru so expect them to make lots of decisions that everybody loathes

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

but it’s Subaru so expect them to make lots of decisions that everybody loathes

CVT only lifted WRX Outback sedan, got it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

blk posted:

i was irrationally angry before i checked the unread posts in this thread

and now i know why

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the hatch on the new Civics is way more of a fastback lookin thing than a practical hatch to me. already was true of the previous gen but it seems even more pronounced now. its like a poor man's 3-series GT

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

blk posted:

give it the base motor from Crosstrek and it’s perfect

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the hatch on the new Civics is way more of a fastback lookin thing than a practical hatch to me. already was true of the previous gen but it seems even more pronounced now. its like a poor man's 3-series GT

Agree and I hate the trend. Even my 3rd gen Mazda3 was getting that way. I want the squared off for the useable space!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Agree and I hate the trend. Even my 3rd gen Mazda3 was getting that way. I want the squared off for the useable space!

volvo and merc can’t go EV soon enough IMO

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

volvo and merc can’t go EV soon enough IMO

Well I’m pretty vehemently anti EV. I just bought my hopefully forever daily last month heh. Manual RWD E91, little bit of roof slope but still plenty squared and much room for activities.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Well I’m pretty vehemently anti EV. I just bought my hopefully forever daily last month heh. Manual RWD E91, little bit of roof slope but still plenty squared and much room for activities.

:patriot:

nobody's bought a volvo for its powertrain since 1994, and 90% of mb's motor design goals would be best met by electric drive

neither's shipped a car with a manual in years, so

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

:patriot:

nobody's bought a volvo for its powertrain since 1994, and 90% of mb's motor design goals would be best met by electric drive

neither's shipped a car with a manual in years, so

Volvo was 2007 I believe with the last V70R. I was also considering one of those, I’ve always loved the volvo design language and grew up in 3 different volvo wagons, 240/850/V70

Probably buying my mom a merc wagon in the next couple years for her ‘last’ car. And I suppose I’ll take it over eventually as well.

To me the anti EV is largely infra/range/refueling based. Along with the not interested in that power delivery, been in a million Teslas and others over the last decade and they don’t appeal to me at all. I’m much more interested in praying to Ferdinand that Porsche can figure out synthetic fuels.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheBacon posted:

Man, I didn't know you were in your 90s. :v:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Man, I didn't know you were in your 90s. :v:

The guy I bought it from was legitimately over 80 :v:

And something something don’t make em like used to and I just want to dump whatever money into keeping it running forever

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
my dad was all "if you're gonna buy a car you should also sell your E36 and make space in your driveway" and I was all :rolleyes:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Agreed, the greenhouse looks too high too. I’m not in love with it but I can’t think of a better new option.

I would legit consider a 2019 V60 T6 or whatever the year/trim with the faster power train was.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just want a focus RS. That’s still (seemingly) the best hot hatch made.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

blk posted:

Agreed, the greenhouse looks too high too. I’m not in love with it but I can’t think of a better new option.

I would legit consider a 2019 V60 T6 or whatever the year/trim with the faster power train was.

Just join team tuned GSW/Alltrack, it's the only logical choice :haw:

Dr. Lunchables posted:

performance sure. you can make the argument but livability as a daily, absolutely not. i personally don't see the purpose to a hot hatch that isn't reasonably good as a daily.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Doug found the ultimate VW hatch

https://youtu.be/ozqSdnkYxJM

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

tbf, i haven’t driven one. But my dad was a car journalist for about 30 years and said the clutch felt like stepping in a rat trap.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the best hot hatch is the type r because a hot hatch is supposed to be a daily driver and also it shouldn’t cost you poo poo past the initial $40 $60 grand

nevermind the transmission + overheating issues in the 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
How bad is Veloster N? I am going to test drive one soon (in about a week), a manual, I'm mainly looking to see how it drives, how's the transmission, the shifting, then looking to see if I could get one, depending on what's available. I've heard of relatively "cheap" interior. Anything else one should be wary of? It's a Hyundai after all.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

if you're not bothered by the 3 door thing and don't care about having a nicer interior it rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Volguus posted:

How bad is Veloster N? I am going to test drive one soon (in about a week), a manual, I'm mainly looking to see how it drives, how's the transmission, the shifting, then looking to see if I could get one, depending on what's available. I've heard of relatively "cheap" interior. Anything else one should be wary of? It's a Hyundai after all.

They're supposed to be great cars, it's just that the layout loving sucks and it's a 2+2 disguised as a hatch.