Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Ditto, I would too.

Weird question, what movies have the most drastic improvement from Blu-ray to 4K? I’m looking for something I can show my dad so he can easily see the difference between Blu-ray and 4K.

The Shining, the VinSyn release of Beastmaster, King of New York, 2001 A Space Odyssey, or maybe Beetlejuice?

Things that are extremely detail oriented, with lots of textures, like The Shining or 2001 or Alien are a really fun thing to show-off.

But also things with dynamic colors and lighting, like Beetlejuice, King of New York or Flash Gordon, where the darks can be really dark and the colors can pop with the HDR and Dolby Vision.

But also showing someone an older movie with lots of bad releases that have been really cleaned up for their release, like Beastmaster and Tammy and the T-Rex are really fun. They just look so good. Like if/when Prom Night gets a 4k remaster and release, that'll be a very interesting movie to see, since it notoriously has the worst transfers.

I also love how black and white movies look. The 4k of It's A Wonderful Life rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Alien is the first UHD I saw that really blew me away. The whole thing looks great, better detail and depth and all, but the part that stood out the most to me was the lighting in the escape sequence at the end and when Ripley uses the flamethrower. Also the aerial shots in The Shining were especially impressive.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

Alien is the first UHD I saw that really blew me away. The whole thing looks great, better detail and depth and all, but the part that stood out the most to me was the lighting in the escape sequence at the end and when Ripley uses the flamethrower. Also the aerial shots in The Shining were especially impressive.

Mine was The Shining, I remember my jaw just dropping in the opening helicopter shots

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The first two 4ks I bought were Apocalypse Now and The Shining and they both look great

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've said it a few times: while the aerial shots in The Shining are impressive, having seen it in theaters, that's kind of ALWAYS impressive to me. What impressed me with the new transfer and 4k UHD is the textures of the clothes in the interview, the textures of the infamous carpet, the red bathroom scene, and the Gold Club party, especially when Jack slaps Grady on the back and you can see a handprint from the drink spilled on Jack's hand. Small moments, but the add a whole layer of immersion for me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The first two 4ks I bought were Apocalypse Now and The Shining and they both look great

Still haven't bought Apocalypse Now, but I can imagine that the LSD trip through the smoke looks fantastic.

I wish I liked Backdraft, cuz Basebf555 talking about how the fire looks in that movie sounds great. It does have a lot of awesome fire. You could say that Fire is the third character in the movie. If Backdraft ever gets down to, like, $5 on 4k UHD, I'd buy it for that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I actually use Backdraft as l like a visual white noise movie that I'll sometimes throw on while I'm doing other things. I don't love it as a movie but goddamn is that fire spectacular.

It's tough to recommend which UHDs to show someone unless you know at least a little bit about the type of stuff they usually watch. If you can zero in on a genre or even better a specific movie that you know they've seen and loved on DVD over the years(The Matrix is a common one), that helps.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

I wish I liked Backdraft, cuz Basebf555 talking about how the fire looks in that movie sounds great. It does have a lot of awesome fire. You could say that Fire is the third character in the movie. If Backdraft ever gets down to, like, $5 on 4k UHD, I'd buy it for that.

It does look great, plus when we watched the UHD, it gave me an impression of Donald Sutherland that I got to use for one if my roommate's cats for a minute.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

It's tough to recommend which UHDs to show someone unless you know at least a little bit about the type of stuff they usually watch. If you can zero in on a genre or even better a specific movie that you know they've seen and loved on DVD over the years(The Matrix is a common one), that helps.

My friend got the Flash Gordon 4k UHD to show her dad. It's his favorite movie, and he loved it as a kid, and she was stoked to show him how it looks with a new 4k restoration and with a 4k TV.

They watched it, and he liked it, was filled with nostalgia, but the restoration and quality did nothing for him. They were bummed because they're sitting there saying "Doesn't this look amazing? Aren't the colors so fantastic? Look at all the detail in the costuming!" And he was like "It looks just like it did when I saw it in theaters."

So sometimes, a movie can have an amazing transfer and presentation, but the viewer's memory of the film is pristine 35mm print in theaters.

I did watch their Flash Gordon, a movie I had never seen before, after this happened, and immediately had to order my own copy.

In other news, I finally watched Arrow's 4k UHD of Cronenberg's Crash, and holy poo poo that movie is amazing, looks amazing, and Arrow's supplements continue to be amazing. There's an awesome Q&A from 1996, in the heat of the film's controversy, between Cronenberg and J.G. Ballard, and it's wonderful. Cronenberg's quiet warmth really comes out, and he's surprisingly open about his process and intentions with the film, and what the story means to him, and they keep dancing around how the controversy is affecting them, the cast, and the film. Just wonderful stuff.

I ordered Kino Lorber's Mad Max 4k, cuz it was $15 in their sale. It's nobody's favorite from the series, but it was the first Mad Max film I saw, since I watched them chronologically, and I'm pretty excited to revisit it. A George Miller rogue cop vs apocalyptic bike gang flick is still a good thing, even if it's no Road Warrior. It comes in on Wednesday.

Iron Crowned posted:

It does look great, plus when we watched the UHD, it gave me an impression of Donald Sutherland that I got to use for one if my roommate's cats for a minute.

Shadow...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean, if you're sitting there watching a 40 year old movie and it reminds you of when you saw it projected in theaters than that should be pretty impressive. Some dads are impossible to impress, it's like a specific type of dad.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

we’re never getting a UHD of the international cut of the Shining, are we

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

John Romero posted:

you're all getting too excited

it's mank

hence all the citizen kane rumors

Yep, this is exactly what it’ll be and it’ll suck.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Brexit the Frog posted:

...What's appealing about less movie?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Franchescanado posted:

I ordered Kino Lorber's Mad Max 4k, cuz it was $15 in their sale. It's nobody's favorite from the series, but it was the first Mad Max film I saw, since I watched them chronologically, and I'm pretty excited to revisit it. A George Miller rogue cop vs apocalyptic bike gang flick is still a good thing, even if it's no Road Warrior. It comes in on Wednesday.

I decided I wasn’t going to bother upgrading that movie, but now when I think back to the opening car chase I’m kind of wondering… Some absolute lunatics doing horrendously dangerous things with vehicles with zero budget is pretty cool. Be sure to post your impressions! Maybe you can count the individual pieces of debris that fly out of the camper at the beginning.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I ordered Kino Lorber's Mad Max 4k, cuz it was $15 in their sale. It's nobody's favorite

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MacheteZombie posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mad Max isn’t bad but The Road Warrior is iconic and Fury Road is a modern classic. I would love to hear an argument of why the first one is someone’s favorite.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, if you're sitting there watching a 40 year old movie and it reminds you of when you saw it projected in theaters than that should be pretty impressive. Some dads are impossible to impress, it's like a specific type of dad.

My dad is in a weird level where I can't get him to watch Into The Spider-Verse on UHD, because watching Christmas Vacation is more important, but he'll spend 10 minutes fawning over any half-assed garbage spit out by The Sci-Fi Channel SyFy

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's my favorite of the three. I like toecutter, Johnny the boy, and Bubba zanetti an absolute ton. The near apocalypse is an extremely unique setting, and the people trying to live normally as the chaos continues to intrude on their way of life makes the violence crueler to me.

The police being this weird Tom of Finland esque authority is also a cool choice, but I know the other films also play up the homoerotic imagery so that might not win anyone over. I do really like the scene where the police captain (Fifi Macaffee) tries to convince Max to stay.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

My dad is in a weird level where I can't get him to watch Into The Spider-Verse on UHD, because watching Christmas Vacation is more important, but he'll spend 10 minutes fawning over any half-assed garbage spit out by The Sci-Fi Channel SyFy

My dad loves pioneer stuff, especially pioneer movies. He loves Jeremiah Johnson. Reads books about people traveling to Alaska and creating their own cabins and living off the land. He loves the story of Hugh Glass, he's read like two of his biographies, and he always wanted a Hugh Glass movie. Revenant came out, and he was so excited to see it. I saw it in theaters and said it was great, and offered to take him to the movies. He never took me up on that offer.

Christmas comes around and I buy him The Revenant on blu-ray for him to watch.

It's been six years and he still hasn't watched it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

My dad loves pioneer stuff, especially pioneer movies. He loves Jeremiah Johnson. Reads books about people traveling to Alaska and creating their own cabins and living off the land. He loves the story of Hugh Glass, he's read like two of his biographies, and he always wanted a Hugh Glass movie. Revenant came out, and he was so excited to see it. I saw it in theaters and said it was great, and offered to take him to the movies. He never took me up on that offer.

Christmas comes around and I buy him The Revenant on blu-ray for him to watch.

It's been six years and he still hasn't watched it.

The only time my dad ever liked a Christmas present was when we bought him a telescope.

He used it exactly once, to look at the antenna setup on top of a neighbor's roof.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

The only time my dad ever liked a Christmas present was when we bought him a telescope.

He used it exactly once, to look at the antenna setup on top of a neighbor's roof.

This sounds like the time my dad's big present to my mom was a metal detector. The entire time I was thinking "This is a ridiculous present, Mom will literally never use it." And I was right. Sits on the wall in their garage, used once to see if the batteries worked.

Parents are weird.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

david_a posted:

Mad Max isn’t bad but The Road Warrior is iconic and Fury Road is a modern classic. I would love to hear an argument of why the first one is someone’s favorite.

I still think Road Warrior is better overall, but Mad Max has one shot that’s better than anything in the subsequent movies: When Max walks into the darkness in the garage and the Interceptor instantly emerges (starts around 2:45 in this video)

https://youtu.be/O2QqzCCU9UE

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hell yeah

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Brexit the Frog posted:

Remember when the UHD was announced they confirmed that the cut ending was going to be presented as a bonus feature for the first time since those test screenings? I do. :smith:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/GeekGabNews/status/1413942474238693376

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is that a joke? If that's a joke I'm gonna be pissed. Ran Best Buy Steelbook UHD? Am I in the bizarro world?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Is that a joke? If that's a joke I'm gonna be pissed. Ran Best Buy Steelbook UHD? Am I in the bizarro world?

It's real.

I ordered mine through StudioCanal through Diabolik, but it's cool it's cool that it gets an American release with a steelbook.

Gonna stick with the StudioC anal release, cuz I like that art more than this one.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That steelbook looks ugly, which I'm finding is my main reason I don't buy most steelbooks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know we've gone over the steelbook issue before but personally the art isn't even a big deal to me one way or the other. The reason I like steelbooks is just the slick, heftier feel of them and also the way the spine looks on the shelf. So the artwork is not important to me(unless it's egregiously bad).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

That steelbook looks ugly, which I'm finding is my main reason I don't buy most steelbooks.

I was listening to Blank Check yesterday, and one of the hosts got the other into buying steelbooks, and one of the arguments was "The art is usually better".

If there's anything I've learned from this thread, that is patently untrue. At least for all the recent releases I've seen.

edit: Semi-related, but I've also realized that, for most Shout releases, I usually flip the covers to the original art. To be fair, I'm usually buying their 80's horror movies, and the aesthetic on classic 80's horror cover art is one of my all-time favorite things, but you'd think there would be a couple where I'd prefer the new art.

With Arrow, it's more 50/50. They do pretty good new commissioned pieces, but sometimes the older art is better. One great example--I think the new art for their Weird Science release is fantastic. I think their Tremors art was good, but the original poster is kind of hard to beat.

Criterions are usually all great. Rarely do I prefer the original art to their new commissioned art.

It's something I'm becoming more aware of recently. I'm a big fan of any cover art by Sister Hyde, especially her Elephant Man and Scorsese Shorts covers for Criterion. I'll probably buy any movie she does art for, honestly.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 13, 2021

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Vince MechMahon posted:

There is something wrong with your series x disc drive and you should get it replaced because it should be noiseless.

Source: my totally silent series x.

Maybe "preposterously" was over-egging it, I'm a very sensitive baby when it comes to device fan noise etc.

It's a hiss from the disc spinning that I can hear from across the room that only occurs when a UHD disc is in and the movie is playing. It's not enough to obscure any audio, but it's enough that I can hear it poke through between lines of dialog and it made me sad.

Blu-rays and DVDs were fine, but UHDs I guess maybe have to spin faster and there just isn't enough baffling between the drive and the fan vents. Maybe exacerbated by me keeping it horizontal, and you can literally see the bare side of the drive through the intake vent on the left hand side of the xbox.

I can hear it when games are installing as well, but that's only temporary until the game is finished installing. With the movies, it hissed until I stopped playing the movie.

I'd be interested in how totally silent your totally silent drive is when installing a game or playing a UHD - or if there is a noticeable increase in noise vs idle when you put a disc in for the first time.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Steelbooks are annoying because they are so slippery. If i grab more than two at a time one is definitely sliding out and getting dropped.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FancyMike posted:

Steelbooks are annoying because they are so slippery. If i grab more than two at a time one is definitely sliding out and getting dropped.

I feel like the art is gonna get scratched/rubbed off. :ohdear:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I feel like the art is gonna get scratched/rubbed off. :ohdear:

I feel like my Ghostbusters steelbook aka my most prized possession would actually look cooler with a little bit of wear like that. Make it look like the actual sign hanging outside exposed to the elements.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I know that Mad Max came out first, but I saw it second one night on TBS.

It really works as a prequel and RW, MM, TD is the best order to watch them in.

Fury Road is a modern classic,and is technically more impressive than Road Warrior, but it's also more fantastical and I like the Road Warrior better as it's slightly more grounded.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm old enough to remember watching The Road Warrior on TV at the dawn of the 90's. I actually never saw MM until the 2010's when it was on Netflix.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PeterCat posted:

I know that Mad Max came out first, but I saw it second one night on TBS.

It really works as a prequel and RW, MM, TD is the best order to watch them in.

Fury Road is a modern classic,and is technically more impressive than Road Warrior, but it's also more fantastical and I like the Road Warrior better as it's slightly more grounded.

Fury Road is a classic, but I'm with you that the series peaks at Road Warrior. It defined the post-apocalypse movie for decades, we still see echoes of it's art direction and costuming to this day, and it's been emulated so much that it's easy to forget that it redefined that entire genre, and left a huge imprint on 80's/90's genre cinema.

Immortan Joe is the better villain, but Lord Humongous is still the one I prefer. "Walk Away..."

The biggest issue with Road Warrior, which Miller fixes sort of in Thunder Dome and especially in Fury Road: the bad-rear end female warrior in Road Warrior never actually does anything, and dies so easily. It's lame as hell, and it's a glaring issue because the movie sets up over and over how much of a bad-rear end warrior she is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The one thing you can't take away from Mad Max though is the impact it had, it's significance. It basically opened up the world to Australian film and held the record for most profitable film ever made for a time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The only thing I didn’t really like about FR is that clearly for 3D bad CGI shot of the war rig steering wheel flying at the screen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

The one thing you can't take away from Mad Max though is the impact it had, it's significance. It basically opened up the world to Australian film and held the record for most profitable film ever made for a time.

It had a huge impact in parts of the world that were not the USA. The USA had a botched launch where the distributor used an overdubbed version. I actually don't think that the original audio was available until it showed up on Netflix, and even then it wasn't available on physical media until Fury Road came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

OG Mad Max has cool cars and cool motorbikes. The friendship between Max and Goose is really great. The bike gang is probably the scariest bike gang on film, and that's mainly because of Immortan Joe Toecutter.

The personal tragedy at the heart of Mad Max, the death of his wife and daughter, while a little more interesting as white noise that goes unspoken in the sequels, is also super effective.

Like, if it weren't in the same series as Road Warrior and Fury Road, it would still be a memorable action flick.

I like Beyond Thunderdome, too. Any Mad Max movie is a good movie, two of them just happen to be close to perfect movies and two are not.

Iron Crowned posted:

It had a huge impact in parts of the world that were not the USA. The USA had a botched launch where the distributor used an overdubbed version. I actually don't think that the original audio was available until it showed up on Netflix, and even then it wasn't available on physical media until Fury Road came out.

I never knew about this? I rented all three from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video on DVD when I was in middle school, I think. This one, from 2002.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 13, 2021