Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Caesar Saladin posted:

"hydro homies" used to be named "water n-words" (but the actual word) and then 50 million white dudes complained about how it was all a joke and super funny when it was banned

Still is "super funny," apparently:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

Still is "super funny," apparently:

White people really think they are sooo funny.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

gay for gacha posted:

White people really think they are sooo funny.

i'm from white people and this is the first i'm hearing of that board
in all seriousness though it wouldn't surprise me if reddit was whiter than /pol/ overall

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Guess the subreddit

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

quote:

My bass got stolen...
I (18M) was at my grandmother's house since my mom (44F) didn't want me to be home alone for a whole weekend since she had to go to her husband's (45~M) grandmother's house to help painting the house. We arrived back at home this Sunday in the afternoon to see that someone got into the house and stole my bass, my piano, my computer, some watches and some clothes. I'm completely devastated, my sire v7 that I loved so much, I feel like I'm missing a part of my body. I'm just so sad and everything, I cannot express it in words. Has something like this happened to you? What do you do to cope with it?

Feel bad for the dude because having your instruments stolen sucks, but I have to laugh he did the total reddit thing of listing the ages of everyone (not even) involved. Like did he think he'd be queried on how old his mom's husband would be if he didn't include that crucial detail?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I think it's often a reddit requirement, and even on subs that it isn't it has become so ingrained, and it's super dumb.

Getting poo poo stolen is loving poo poo though. I think if any of my guitars got stolen I'd be a wreck for weeks. There is also the question of why their parents didn't feel like an 18 year old could be left alone for a weekend tho?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Feel bad for the dude because having your instruments stolen sucks, but I have to laugh he did the total reddit thing of listing the ages of everyone (not even) involved. Like did he think he'd be queried on how old his mom's husband would be if he didn't include that crucial detail?

I think a lot of the subreddits make you add that information. It's stupid and dumb, much like reddit itself

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I'm intrigued by the tilde before 'M'.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm intrigued by the tilde before 'M'.

I appreciate his acceptance of gender being a spectrum.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
didn't include the husband's grandmother's age huh? now i (69M) will never have the complete picture

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

My theory is an adult wasn't allowed to be alone at home because his parents organised the theft to try and deter him from pursuing music. What a bunch of pricks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

syntaxfunction posted:

My theory is an adult wasn't allowed to be alone at home because his parents organised the theft to try and deter him from pursuing music. What a bunch of pricks.

I've seen his other posting and I wouldn't leave him on his own either.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If you read the relationshits thread you’ll learn that every redditor with a relationship problem due to the age gap will try to hide the age gap so it saves everyone some time when a 45 year old wonders why his 19 year old girlfriend is acting like a teenager or why his 20 year old kids make fun her when she tries to tell them it’s their bedtime.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
/r/catholicism is weird because it feels like the only subreddit for a religion that spends most of its time discussing how much more faithful they are then their own clergy and leadership (you don't see /r/islam regularly bitching about Muslims who don't pray every day).

Today is a real doozy, because you've got two major events:

1. Reactions to the announcement this morning by Pope Francis of new restrictions on the use of the old Mass in Latin. People are flipping out, calling the Pope a heretic, a schismatic, and an antipope (!).

2. It's the anniversary of the end of the Siege of Jerusalem in 1099, and people are participating in apologetics for the estimated 3,000 Jewish and Muslim civilians (including women and children) massacred in mosques, temples, and synagogues, as testified to in the writings of the Crusaders themselves. They also exaggerate mistreatment of Christians in the Fatimid Caliphate and ignore places were it was a relative model of tolerance for religious minorities.

Beyond that, there's the weekly griping about masturbation (which they sometimes claim, in a way that stretches the definitions of the Catechism, is a mortal sin) and calling James Martin (a priest who advocates treating gay people with compassion and listening to their concerns) a wolf in sheep's clothing who needs to be excommunicated.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I thought stuff like Hydrohomies was funny until I realized it was just people doing innocuous whitenoise posting nonstop to farm upvotes for whatever reason.

It's not as well-curated/moderated as the thread here, but r/Simpsonsshitposting is one of the only subreddits I've seen that's more or less okay.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The bits of reddit I found that actually have a pleasant are some of the BadAcademic ones or fitnesscirclejerk. I don't know if "pleasant" is maybe the right word but FCJ is fun.

Speaking of age gaps, here's a case where the OP is either bad at creative writing details or is lying about the age gap, which is obviously a problem in their relationship but doesn't want anyone to point that out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/ok24lq/wibta_if_i_asked_my_gf_to_change_her_wardrobe/

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The bits of reddit I found that actually have a pleasant are some of the BadAcademic ones or fitnesscirclejerk. I don't know if "pleasant" is maybe the right word but FCJ is fun.

Speaking of age gaps, here's a case where the OP is either bad at creative writing details or is lying about the age gap, which is obviously a problem in their relationship but doesn't want anyone to point that out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/ok24lq/wibta_if_i_asked_my_gf_to_change_her_wardrobe/

This is fake. His post history says he is still doing his PhD and he called himself a professor. No PhD student calls themselves a professor unless they are a huuuuuuuuuuuuge fart huffer, because it's a lie.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

gay for gacha posted:

unless they are a huuuuuuuuuuuuge fart huffer,

Well…

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

William Bear posted:

/r/catholicism is weird because it feels like the only subreddit for a religion that spends most of its time discussing how much more faithful they are then their own clergy and leadership (you don't see /r/islam regularly bitching about Muslims who don't pray every day).

Today is a real doozy, because you've got two major events:

1. Reactions to the announcement this morning by Pope Francis of new restrictions on the use of the old Mass in Latin. People are flipping out, calling the Pope a heretic, a schismatic, and an antipope (!).

2. It's the anniversary of the end of the Siege of Jerusalem in 1099, and people are participating in apologetics for the estimated 3,000 Jewish and Muslim civilians (including women and children) massacred in mosques, temples, and synagogues, as testified to in the writings of the Crusaders themselves. They also exaggerate mistreatment of Christians in the Fatimid Caliphate and ignore places were it was a relative model of tolerance for religious minorities.

Beyond that, there's the weekly griping about masturbation (which they sometimes claim, in a way that stretches the definitions of the Catechism, is a mortal sin) and calling James Martin (a priest who advocates treating gay people with compassion and listening to their concerns) a wolf in sheep's clothing who needs to be excommunicated.

It's been a common trend throughout history that the catholic church just isn't extreme enough for religious psychopaths, so they kept immigrating to America to join the protestant religions.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
r/childfree is providing some quality content lately.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Peering into this alternate universe and listening to what they have to say
"It's so unfair that Disney World, the only thing I care about, closed for no reason, and no one is making children's shows and movies anymore"

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

ikanreed posted:

Peering into this alternate universe and listening to what they have to say
"It's so unfair that Disney World, the only thing I care about, closed for no reason, and no one is making children's shows and movies anymore"

Millions of unemployed teachers and babysitters and pediatricians and such, but at least this fool won't have to hear a loud noise for a short amount of time.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The sister is an actuary and totally career driven.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

I mean, there was a whole movie based on this concept. A real good one too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Walton Simons posted:

r/childfree is providing some quality content lately.

This is one of the most pathetic things I have ever read in my life.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

veni veni veni posted:

BAYBEE

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I inwardly went MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
R/Askhistorians is one of the best things on the internet, baffling how it exists on a place like Reddit. They moderate with an iron fist and have zero tolerance of Holocaust deniers.

I quite like r/cricket as well.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Gambrinus posted:

Nice to know there's at least one good sport subreddit, r/soccer has been a warzone ever since England beat Denmark and r/formula1 isn't much better after Hamilton and Verstappen collided yesterday.

veni veni veni posted:

There's an addendum

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Gambrinus posted:

R/Askhistorians is one of the best things on the internet, baffling how it exists on a place like Reddit. They moderate with an iron fist and have zero tolerance of Holocaust deniers.

They do do they thing a lot of Reddit mods like where they overly litigate where it’s impossible to ask a question unless you know all the unwritten rules and weird hang ups they have on specific phrasing or words, in spite of the spirit of the rules, but yeah, much better than most of Reddit.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Walton Simons posted:

Nice to know there's at least one good sport subreddit, r/soccer has been a warzone ever since England beat Denmark and r/formula1 isn't much better after Hamilton and Verstappen collided yesterday.

There's an addendum

why can't people say "i don't like kids" and leave it at that

why does it have to be a vicious and spiteful circlejerk about unfathomably petty poo poo

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

zgrowler2 posted:

why can't people say "i don't like kids" and leave it at that

why does it have to be a vicious and spiteful circlejerk about unfathomably petty poo poo

It’s the niche online forum effect where the easiest way to prove how committed you are to the group is to be the most extreme and hardline version and shout down anyone who tells you to chill as a fake member or whatever, leading to the worst users setting the tone.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I looked up the subscribers for the main subreddits of the world's major religions and sects of Christianity. It gives a pretty interesting portrait of the distribution of faiths on Reddit, or, at least, the distribution of people who care enough about their faith to talk about it online.

Atheism - 2,677,604
Buddhism - 429,940
Christianity - 292,120
Islam - 164,858
Pagan - 153,575
Catholicism - 124,025
Hinduism - 103,071
Judaism - 64,022
Latter Day Saint Movement - 44,636
Reformed (Calvinist) - 40,674
Orthodox Christianity - 27,201
Sikhism - 17,086
Pantheism - 15,270
Anglicanism - 9,560
Unitarian - 6,326
Deism - 6,292
Baháʼí - 6,125
Agnosticism - 5,254
Shinto - 4,536
Protestantism - 3,860
Zoroastrianism - 3,485
Baptist - 2,740
Jainism - 2,454
Seventh-Day Adventist - 948
Pentecostalism - 884
Jehovah's Witnesses - 526
Methodist - 449
Anabaptist - 333

Thoughts:

• Poor /r/agnosticism, massively outnumbered by /r/atheism. Though, what is there to discuss about a position where the existence of deities is not only unknown, but may be unknowable?
  • The Jehovah's Witness subreddit is private, which explains the tiny size.
  • Most surprising fact to me: more pantheists than Anglicans. Also, I kind of knew this already, but there are a lot of pagans on the internet.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 19, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
r/athiesm was a default Reddit for some time. What a choice.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I will never, ever stop ejaculating

not with that attitude

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In this moment I am euphoric

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zurtilik posted:

r/athiesm was a default Reddit for some time. What a choice.

That may have been back when the president of the united states was an actual creationist pushing for creationism to be taught in science classes.

The online atheist thing didn't come from nowhere.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ikanreed posted:

That may have been back when the president of the united states was an actual creationist pushing for creationism to be taught in science classes.

The online atheist thing didn't come from nowhere.

Are you saying it grew naturally out of a response to it's environment? Just like an atheist to constantly bring evolution into the conversation.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

William Bear posted:

I looked up the subscribers for the main subreddits of the world's major religions and sects of Christianity. It gives a pretty interesting portrait of the distribution of faiths on Reddit, or, at least, the distribution of people who care enough about their faith to talk about it online.

Atheism - 2,677,604
Buddhism - 429,940
Christianity - 292,120
Islam - 164,858
Pagan - 153,575
Catholicism - 124,025
Hinduism - 103,071
Judaism - 64,022
Latter Day Saint Movement - 44,636
Reformed (Calvinist) - 40,674
Orthodox Christianity - 27,201
Sikhism - 17,086
Pantheism - 15,270
Anglicanism - 9,560
Unitarian - 6,326
Deism - 6,292
Baháʼí - 6,125
Agnosticism - 5,254
Shinto - 4,536
Protestantism - 3,860
Zoroastrianism - 3,485
Baptist - 2,740
Jainism - 2,454
Seventh-Day Adventist - 948
Pentecostalism - 884
Jehovah's Witnesses - 526
Methodist - 449
Anabaptist - 333

Thoughts:

• Poor /r/agnosticism, massively outnumbered by /r/atheism. Though, what is there to discuss about a position where the existence of deities is not only unknown, but may be unknowable?
  • The Jehovah's Witness subreddit is private, which explains the tiny size.
  • Most surprising fact to me: more pantheists than Anglicans. Also, I kind of knew this already, but there are a lot of pagans on the internet.

R/exmormon is up there too, 203k members. Not sure if it really fits into that list but it’s actually a pretty fascinating subreddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
BAYBEE (sp?)

I tried making the "I AM PERMBANNED POSTER xBAYBEEFREEx69" text but ran out of steam.