Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

“The only way to win is to not play”-gabe newell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It feels like behavior score is busted now and everyone is 10k. The only way to knock someone down even slightly is a successful overwatch case and even then it's only 200. I had a game earlier with 2 griefers on each team. Soft support picked Axe, our carry sold all his items and bought divines to feed, and the enemy pos 3 and 4 were trolling each other with absurd item builds.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

:getin:

DNK fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 19, 2021

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Curious how many of these games you got your teammates to play along and draft tempo lineups vs. dragging them to victory?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

what items do you build? im also spamming clinkz but not quite as successfully

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

None of those games were orchestrated in the picking phase. I play Clinkz like pretty much every carry -- farming hard (and not contributing much) for the first ~15 minutes or so.

The only hero that's obviously superior to Clinkz in the lategame is Phantom Lancer. The consistent, high-armor illusions just soak so much of his damage. Otherwise, Clinkz keeps scaling very hard: each skeleton archer does ~29% of Clinkz' damage, and it's trivial to have 7 appear (Burning Army + one Skeleton Walk). Little bits of damage add up fast, and with Death Pact you're running around with near 5k HP without a defensive item.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i spam beast master

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

very impressive

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

jsoh posted:

what items do you build? im also spamming clinkz but not quite as successfully

Falcon Blade, Treads, Deso (+value Blight Stone), Agh Shard, Dragon Lance, Agh Scepter, (Scythe of Vyse or Satanic)

That’s the standard build. You can swap Deso with Orchid or Maelstrom if it’s particularly useful / another team member is getting Deso.

I always feel a bit weird about dragon lance, but it’s cheap, very stat efficient and, most importantly, allows you to hit the T3 towers and barracks from as far away as possible. All of your skeletons benefit from the range as well. And it builds into Hurricane Pike which is honestly super valuable as a mobility pickup.

You will notice that there’s no BKB in there. You CAN purchase it, but I think it’s clearly inferior to… every other item in that “Standard” build. Aghanim’s Scepter is a hugely important ganking, team fighting, and pushing ability. 5 skeletons is ~150% damage output. Don’t skip it.

Obviously build MKB against butterfly carries / PA, but don’t rush it.

After hitting level 25, Satanic can turn you into a hit point sponge. The double-shot with 900 range and lifesteal can be game-winning; if you do not get immediately one-shot — which is not easy when you have 5k HP — you will heal to full instantly.

Alternatively, Scythe is game-winning. Landing that first instant disable against BKB super-carries or picking off critical supports before they click ghost scepter is obviously good.

This post is all about items but winning is mostly about abusing Clinkz’ mobility and damage output. I mean, clearly, but he’s a squishy fucker and will basically immediately die to the first disable that hits you. You need to know where the enemy vision is. Don’t walk up highground blind. Etc.

You’re extremely item dependent, do not flash farm well, and are going to die if you get found. The early-game is very precarious. But the payoff is super fun.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

probably not very impressive to anyone actually good at the game but a few months ago I was guardian 5 so getting here feels pretty cool :shobon:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

probably not very impressive to anyone actually good at the game but a few months ago I was guardian 5 so getting here feels pretty cool :shobon:

Nice job, that's an impressive increase.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

is the naked Axe Unleashed skin forever untradeable, or just not for like 5 years?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sab669 posted:

is the naked Axe Unleashed skin forever untradeable, or just not for like 5 years?

forever unless they retroactively change something which they wont

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dumb 🙁

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's part of the trend of including a bunch of 'one chance only' stuff to inspire people to whale hard

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah as much as everyone hates Epic/Fortnite for weaponizing FOMO, the Fortnite purchases are pretty mild compared to how much you have to shell out for Dota's battlepass. Like ahhhhhhh if you don't spend 350$ you're never going to get this special terrain skin that will never be available again in history!!!! Valve once again proving they are pioneers in this sense

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i guess in a way someone can truly point to it all and say 'well it affects nothing about the gameplay whatsoever', and they'd be right, but at the same time you can also just kinda look at it and know it's bad even if it's not as inherently radioactive as some other predatory practices in games

because yeah the core game isn't touched but they absolutely know what they're doing

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My favorite insane thing about the battlepass is that last year they let people buy it, but then had to cancel specific parts of it because of covid. Like, not "we'll eventually get these out to you guys, because you paid for it," just totally dropped. They didn't even finish making the rewards before selling it. There's been a ton of discussion about how there's GOTTA be another patch before TI and while I desperately want there to be it feels like Valve is just in total autopilot mode and I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't even bother

also they just pocketed the money from last year and then said "well in exchange this year we'll make the compendium a little less! You still gotta shell out 150+$ for the arcana tho"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

overall it's just kinda dogshit and i feel like there's multiple avenues at this point to single out as to why valve sucks and has burned any and all goodwill they built up over the years, with dota and the handling of some of that stuff being just one

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sab669 posted:

its ok im sure next year you can get it again with some set like the invoker persona

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Im spamming brewmaster offlane in 2.5 mmr right now. Had a 6 win streak going yesterday.

build is phase boots > midas > aghs > refresher

or alternatively

phase boots > midas > aghs > vlads offering > assault cuirass > refresher

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Wait they’re not doubling up the extra prize pool money from last years book with this years TI?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
are there any fun pos 5's now? I've been spamming warlock because his shard is so good but he's so boring. 1.5k mmr, so my other criteria is a guy who can shove a lane since half my games my team decides that taking towers no longer matters so we end up with 3 waves on our side of the river playing whack a mole trying to tp and defend vs 5 instead of counter pushing to relieve pressure

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Hoodwink 5 is legit and you can easily carry from that position. Just buy wards, solar crest, and maybe a force staff.

Ancient Apparition also wins games and can easily push out lanes once he gets his shard.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

causticBeet posted:

Wait they’re not doubling up the extra prize pool money from last years book with this years TI?

Nope.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

are there any fun pos 5's now? I've been spamming warlock because his shard is so good but he's so boring. 1.5k mmr, so my other criteria is a guy who can shove a lane since half my games my team decides that taking towers no longer matters so we end up with 3 waves on our side of the river playing whack a mole trying to tp and defend vs 5 instead of counter pushing to relieve pressure

oracle

you buy nothing but null talismans in lane

any time the enemy offlane enters your range you immediately nuke them for laguna blade tier damage

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

overall it's just kinda dogshit and i feel like there's multiple avenues at this point to single out as to why valve sucks and has burned any and all goodwill they built up over the years, with dota and the handling of some of that stuff being just one

Making people pay out the nose to get Skeleton King back was very lol

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What does that skin look like in the Chinese client anyways? That was the whole justification for renaming the one true king, yea?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you must spend hundreds of dollars to get skeleton king back for pressing ceremonial reasons

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Witch doctor is a very fun pos 5

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

lol what a rip off - it would have been cool as hell if they just said “gently caress it 60m prize pool” but I guess why bother when you can just take the bag and run

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I mostly play 4 or 5 and bounce around Guardian/Crusaider poo poo tier.

I’ve enjoyed Dazzle 5 a lot in recent months. His Q is a very powerful harass early in lane, people underestimate the damage when you keep refreshing the duration. With Q and E you can shove waves mid game with ease, and his passive ult cooldown reduction means all the support items you’d buy anyway are better cause you can use them twice as often. This makes for a very fun play style imo because you are just constantly casting spells in mid to late game team fights. You don’t have a big ult timing to nail/gently caress up, just endless utility. Dazzle thrives in long fights.

The sustain with a 20sec c/d on greaves is formidable. I pretty much always build arcane boots > mek > force staff > shard > greaves with maybe aether lens/octarine if the game goes long. Sometimes Locket, it’s nice having a bigger single target heal. Solar crest if the game calls for it. His updated shard makes his Q a powerful late game counter to illusion heroes as well, since it’s an 8-target hex that instantly pops illusions (except ck’s and venge)

I’ll also play Ogre as a 5 sometimes though he seems more common as a 4, easy slow/stun/nuke support and his early tankiness makes him forgiving in lane.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 13, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

causticBeet posted:

lol what a rip off - it would have been cool as hell if they just said “gently caress it 60m prize pool” but I guess why bother when you can just take the bag and run

My favorite is how all of the panelists at pro dota tournaments are constantly saying "uhhhhh actually a 100 million dollar tournament would be bad because it would make the disparity between majors and TI even worse, they shouldn't add that prize pool." But then you say "why not then use that money to give prizes to all the teams who participate in the DPC league so you have a sustainable semi-pro scene" and all of a sudden the line is "Woooah guys don't worry I'm sure Valve aren't just pocketing the money, it's all going towards making Dota2 better, don't worry about it!"

And this is after, in addition to just canceling the Battlepass rewards because they would rather not bother than make good on their promise, they also cancelled all DPC events and decided not to have ANY official tournaments, even online ones. Culminating in the hilarious time when, at a third-party tournament, one panelist (Kyle) was like "Why is Dota2 the only pro esport that doesn't even try to have some sort of online tournaments to make up for the cancelled lans and leave teams out to dry with no source of income for an entire year," Sheever (the host) has to be like "let's stop talking about this" like she doesn't have the tournament orgs screaming in her ear to stop him from criticizing Valve on-camera. Valve loving sucks rear end and stopped caring a long time ago.

Plank Walker posted:

are there any fun pos 5's now?

Lot of good answers so far, Hoodwink and Oracle for sure. I think Treant is also pretty fun, he hits like a truck during the laning phase and can keep towers alive which is incredibly useful at lower MMRs. Just do whatever starting items into holy locket and then blink

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm a big fan of CM 5.

She's quite versatile in whether you level your Q or your W. Her Q grants vision and the increased AoE at level 10 is super strong. Synergizes well with heroes like Juggernaut or Chaos Knight who can get kills in lane. Getting a big Freezing Field off just feels so satisfying because it can be hard to do.

Her new Shard ability is definitely bad, but also fun. One day I'll have a Dark Seer cast Surge on me, or a Lycan get Aghs and Bite me :allears: Her Scepter is also not good just because it's so hard to get a good Ult off. Like the effect is strong, it's just not with dumping that kinda gold into.

All the usual Support stuff is good on her; Tranquils, Disk, Glimmer Cape, Force Staff, Euls etc.

Grab a couple Mangos for the lane phase and catch people off guard at level 2-4 as you blast 'em with your skills, shove a piece of fruit down your throathole, and blast 'em again.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I love Treant and he’s my most played hero the past year or so, but I think he is best as a 4 where you can really leverage his insane lvl 1 right-click damage to stuff a pos1 early. (Tho with the right pos1 who’s good at early kills he can do this as a 5 as well)

I definitely play him as a 5 sometimes too but just find him more fun at 4. I also hate building arcane boots on him because tranqs synergize so well with his passive, both the move speed and heal.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Treant has high dmg but also really low armor so most of the time youre going to lose the right click fights which is why I think hes better as a 5 than a 4.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I currently only play Techies 4 or Treant 5 if Techies is banned and from my time of playing Skywrath5/Nyx5/Tree5 is that you should never actually play 5 and always be greedy and always be looking to claw your way back up into the 3 position. Like, ahh don't worry guys I got wards! But I'm sooooooo close to my Atos, let me just get a feeeeew more of these kills

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have not found that to be the case (losing the right click fights) in my low mmr games. Especially with venom orb and Q, Tree is tough to beat at lvl 1. His armor is low but his damage is like twice the typical damage at that level.

Ideally you harass from the tree line before going for the kill, so you can often get a few hits in without retaliation first.

The best counters to tree in lane are monkey king and timber in my experience.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

As an example, lvl 1 Tree vs PA:

PA armor is 4.83(78%), damage ~56, 0.72 attacks per sec

Tree armor is 1.5(91%), damage ~91, 0.61 attacks per sec

Tree hits PA for 91*0.78*0.61 att/sec = ~43 dmg/sec

PA hits Tree for 56*0.91*0.72 att/sec ~37 dmg/sec

PA has 620hp at lvl 1, Tree has 700.

If you can score the first hit by striking from the treeline, you’re winning that fight unless she can blink out.

And if the PA wants to man up, she has to stand in your Q to do it (~30 dps at lvl1, twice that if you can get the other end into a tree)

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
High right click damage is another reason I like Shaman pos 5, but too triggering at my MMR when carries think the cast range on shackles is infinite and flame you for not casting it on Axe while he's standing within melee range of you