Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So yeah I expected the fanart for Baal to be generous with the sword out of chest depictions but roughly 75% of all fanart I've seen says either lack of inspiration to go on outside of the trailer depiction and/or the internet being as predictably perverted as ever. She seems rather obviously cut from the ever popular "step on me please mommy" cloth that is all the rage these days, which I'm almost surprised they didn't exploit in the trailer at all.

Is Xinyan the character that kind of knocks people out of their damage zone with one of their attack combos? I seem to remember hearing about there being some character that does that. It's yet another character I have basically zero frame of reference for because I literally have not seen them in game at all doing anything, but the same could be said for lots of characters. I had no idea who Albedo really was when he showed up in the Golden Archipelago event and still don't really, but obviously I knew who Jean, Barbara and Diluc were for example since they've been a near constant story presence since I started playing the game. Beidou, Bennett, Eula, Hu Tao, Xinyan, Yanfei, Mona, Chongyun, and Rosaria I know of (especially Mona who seems extremely popular for a character that doesn't show up in any of the Monstadt story missions) but haven't seen in game at all even once yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Kale posted:

especially Mona who seems extremely popular for a character that doesn't show up in any of the Monstadt story missions)
Mona has a cute story mission, and had a big role in an important plot mission that was for some mystifying reason removed from the game as part of an event

also, her thighs

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Okay now I'm on that Diluc/Bennett/Xingqiu/Chongyun bullshit, and even with the last 3 barely being into their first ascension while my Diluc is level 75, holy poo poo stuff dies fast and good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Soothing Vapors posted:

Mona has a cute story mission, and had a big role in an important plot mission that was for some mystifying reason removed from the game as part of an event

also, her thighs

Also her butt, which was featured PROMINENTLY in said story mission.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Xinyan does kind of have the ability to double down on a stat once you get the constellation that makes her burst always crit. You can drop all crit rate om her and throw as much crit damage on her as you can fit if you're using her as a burst support.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Some Numbers posted:

Also her butt, which was featured PROMINENTLY in said story mission.

Don't forget the sideboob, she's a triple threat.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
No idea what I'm doing in this web event, but it seems pretty cool nonetheless

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Kale posted:

I had no idea who Albedo really was when he showed up in the Golden Archipelago event and still don't really, but obviously I knew who Jean, Barbara and Diluc were for example since they've been a near constant story presence since I started playing the game. Beidou, Bennett, Eula, Hu Tao, Xinyan, Yanfei, Mona, Chongyun, and Rosaria I know of (especially Mona who seems extremely popular for a character that doesn't show up in any of the Monstadt story missions) but haven't seen in game at all even once yet.

I don't know that Xinyan shows up at all, I certainly don't remember her. Beidou appears in the last available story quest right now, along with Kazuha. Albedo was the main character in the Dragonspine launch event (which is when he was released), Rosaria was also there for some of it. Yanfei is in the player housing unlock quest. Most of the others only show up in their personal quests or hangouts though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Now that Beidou finally showed up, Xinyan is the only playable character with zero appearances in any way.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I swear Rosaria's boobs were way bigger in the launch event, they scaled her down a bit for the playable character model.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They were. The reduction from H to DD was a big "controversy".

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

mona feels like she has way more work put into her than the other off-rate 5 stars (and honestly even a lot of the one time rate up characters we've had.) her outfit is really complicated and she has a bit more of an interesting kit than a lot of characters.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I like mona's english voice. Feel like the voice actress did a good job.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Kale posted:

Is Xinyan the character that kind of knocks people out of their damage zone with one of their attack combos? I seem to remember hearing about there being some character that does that.

That's Keqing, I think.

quote:

It's yet another character I have basically zero frame of reference for because I literally have not seen them in game at all doing anything, but the same could be said for lots of characters. I had no idea who Albedo really was when he showed up in the Golden Archipelago event and still don't really, but obviously I knew who Jean, Barbara and Diluc were for example since they've been a near constant story presence since I started playing the game. Beidou, Bennett, Eula, Hu Tao, Xinyan, Yanfei, Mona, Chongyun, and Rosaria I know of (especially Mona who seems extremely popular for a character that doesn't show up in any of the Monstadt story missions) but haven't seen in game at all even once yet.

Six out of the nine characters you mentioned (Albedo, Bennett, Eula, Hu Tao, Mona, Chongyun, and Rosaria) show up in quests you can unlock from the Story Quest submenu; some of them have also shown up in past events (Albedo, Mona, Bennett, Rosaria). Yanfei is the star of the housing quest that unlocks at AR35; Beidou shows up in the most recent main story quest.

Draxion posted:

I don't know that Xinyan shows up at all, I certainly don't remember her. Beidou appears in the last available story quest right now, along with Kazuha. Albedo was the main character in the Dragonspine launch event (which is when he was released), Rosaria was also there for some of it. Yanfei is in the player housing unlock quest. Most of the others only show up in their personal quests or hangouts though.

Rosaria is actually present in Albedo's personal story quest, not the Dragonspine event quest. She also shows up briefly in the main story during Chapter I Act IV.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Not that I'm an expert on Chinese accents, but I realized I had the Chinese dub on so I decided to check out Xinyan's voice. I don't hear any kind of noticeable accent from her. :shrug:

I finally decided to try out floor 12 of the abyss, and only managed to clear it with five stars. Well, I tried.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Xinyan doesn't have an extreme accent either in japanese (And Mihoyo tends to prioritize their budget on the JP track cause otakus)

Hell, Yoimiya is a hick in JP and she has a normal voice in English.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
First run of VV domain in ages, trying to get Kazuha some better artifacts:

Well, thanks, game! :buddy:

Edit: Very next run gave a 5* Maiden Beloved piece with Anemo DMG%, what the heck.

Edit 2:

Third run :eyepop:

Bloody Emissary fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 13, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bloody Emissary posted:

Edit: Very next run gave a 5* Maiden Beloved piece with Anemo DMG%, what the heck.

Edit 2:

Jealous AF

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gimme that hat

I guess the bright side of EM being the rarest main stat on artifacts is that for characters who want full EM for swirl damage, the other substats barely matter. It's obviously better to have good substats but they won't do anything for your swirl damage so just getting EM main stat + Viridescent Venerer is a huge win

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Radical posted:

mona feels like she has way more work put into her than the other off-rate 5 stars (and honestly even a lot of the one time rate up characters we've had.) her outfit is really complicated and she has a bit more of an interesting kit than a lot of characters.

Her attack string is also rad. Honestly makes me want to main her for a while.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If you go full EM, Kazuha doesn't care about Crit stats, because Swirl can't crit.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Bloody Emissary posted:

Edit 2:

Hi, gently caress off and take my million maiden pieces. Thanks!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Hackan Slash posted:

Black sword has good refines for someone who relies on normal/charged attacks for damage, like keqing. I am unsure what Ayaka will want to do though.

Black Sword will be great on Ayaka because she's gonna get most of her damage from her normal & charged attacks. The gameplan with her is to tap shift every so often to keep her attacks Cryo infused and use her skill/burst on cooldown since they also have benefits to her infused sword slices.

The other best option will possibly be the new craftable 4* from Inazuma. Ayaka is saddled with an 80 cost burst which means she's gonna have a hard time keeping it online. The new craftable will be less overall damage but will be a huge boon to burst uptime because it refunds energy every burst cast assuming you are properly building up the stacks on it. Of course we'll have to see how it works in practice with her, being a buff you have to stack up makes it a bit finnicky.

The 3rd option would be a Favonius Sword. Even less damage potential than the Inazuma sword because it has an ER% substat instead of ATK but it will constantly generate extra energy to fuel her burst.

Of course this is only covering the 4* options. Given her ascension stat is Crit Damage (at least currently) the ideal weapon substats would be either ATK% or Crit Rate so the Summit Shaper or Primordial Jade Cutter would both be great on her if you have them as far as 5* swords go.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Yeah if Xinyan was even half decent I'd probably be using her constantly.

... But she isn't. :effort: She mostly just feels like a crappier, fiddlier Noelle that can't even go all on on a single stat like Noelle can, and you get Noelle for *free*.

I don't really understand Xinyan. I have tried to set her up in a comp with Eula and she's just so much worse than any other character I could have there it's not even funny. Her shields are the weakest in the game with a huge cooldown so she can't replace a shielder or healer. It's DEF scaling but she has zero DEF scaling offensively until C6 and even then it's pretty crap. Even if you go all in on DEF her shield is incredibly lovely compared to any other character at the cost of making her do zero damage. And finally her damage buff dependent on the shield means you are encouraged to continue to dodge damage to keep it and the buff up instead of using it to increase DPS by being able to attack through hits.

Her skills and burst are among the worst at applying their element and their range and AOE are terrible. You have to practically be able to smell a hilichurl's breathe to hit them. Her physical debuff is feeble (15%) and she can't maintain it. She can't help apply superconduct so she demands you add cryo and electro to get it and even then she screws up your reactions with pyro proccing overload etc. Her skill only generates 4 energy particles every 18 seconds. Her burst has no range and knocks enemies away from you in all different directions which is incredibly annoying and counterproductive. If you have guys grouped up you might as well not burst because you're just going to have to chase them down with your DPS now.

Her best artifact set as support if you actually want to shield and buff is Tenacity which means you have tenacity giving HP, her shield depending on DEF, and her ascension stat giving ATK, and no synergy between the stats at all. It's a GD mess. Great design but her mechanics are kitchen sink and look like they were designed by 3 or 4 different people who weren't talking to each other at all.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah she's bad, that's the summary. Sucks because she's super rad but thems the breaks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Xinyan only had a niche back when cryo debuff was the meta and she was the only one besides Bennett that reliably got rid of it.

Now when even water debuff is gone in the current rotation, there's no reason to ever use her.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I stand by the river of truth which states that her VA does not do a good Southern accent and it's a stupid decision to have this one single Chinese character in all of expy-China sound like a bad parody of an American hillbilly. Where did she get her accent from? Where are the other people who speak like her for that to make sense?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

I stand by the river of truth which states that her VA does not do a good Southern accent and it's a stupid decision to have this one single Chinese character in all of expy-China sound like a bad parody of an American hillbilly. Where did she get her accent from? Where are the other people who speak like her for that to make sense?

Possibly in Natlan. Considering we're not from this world and constantly go back and forth from Mondstadt and Liyue all the time, I just assume people moved. She's also very dark skinned for this game. Is it just a tan, like Brock from Pokemon or is she actually black? I dunno, I could believe either one.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ok so I did definitely forget that Natlan exists, but tbf, so did Genshin Impact

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ah, I finally got an EM sands from the VV domain. Kazuha's ascension to godhood can finally begin :sickos:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It's possible Xinyan is from outside Liyue but then it doesn't explain her name fitting right in. Her story bits don't say one way or the other on the matter. The other explanation is she just puts on the accent as part of her rocker persona.

All we really know about her is that she was living in Liyue and rock music started popping up that originated from Fontaine. Everyone else hated it and she loved it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It big time sucked that Xinyan was featured in the Liyue festival trailer playing guitar for people and she was never in any of the quests in the game. They need to fix her and make her worthwhile.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I always read Xinyan as possibly being mixed, especially since she seems to know a lot about Fontaine culture (both because her rock music originates from there but also her birthday message has her give you some embroidery she did in Fontaine's style), but considering we don't know what Fontaine is like yet (its after Inazuma, right?) that doesn't really tell us much.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The simplest fix to make Xinyan less bizarre would be to give her the same healing mechanic as Noelle. She would still never be optimal but she would be less impossible to build a comp around.

I think she feels very nice to play, and I hope to build her soonish, but there are a few others ahead of her in the queue.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 13, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

Ok so I did definitely forget that Natlan exists, but tbf, so did Genshin Impact

I googled other Genshin locations because I don't know about what any of them look like since I haven't read the manga but I was sure there were some details about them if I could be bothered to check.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Sumeru is next in line after Inazuma. I believe Fontaine is the one after that.

In other news I'm theorycrafting Ayaka stuff since I'm on track to pull her with my pity. Looks like a Freeze Comp is gonna be the ideal for her, stack Blizzard Strayer with the Cryo Resonance bonuses and take advantage of her 100% Cryo Infusion uptime. Preparing for the party setup and I'm thinking that a setup of Ayaka, Xingqiu, Diona, & Sucrose may be the setup to aim for. Xingqiu is the obvious premiere hydro applicator, Diona provides Cryo Resonance and can also be a battery for Ayaka's costly burst, and Sucrose can proc VV to further buff Ayaka's cryo damage. Anyone else have thoughts on all this?

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Xinyan really needs def as her ascension stat, and her everything to scale off def, and while they're at it, make def scaling better.

Mona/Ayaka will probably also be hilarious for people with both, since you've got Diona for heals still. Xinqui is probably still better, 6* support and all. Kazoo will probably outbuff Sucrose, but 5*s so grats to anyone with that combo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Sumeru is next in line after Inazuma. I believe Fontaine is the one after that.

In other news I'm theorycrafting Ayaka stuff since I'm on track to pull her with my pity. Looks like a Freeze Comp is gonna be the ideal for her, stack Blizzard Strayer with the Cryo Resonance bonuses and take advantage of her 100% Cryo Infusion uptime. Preparing for the party setup and I'm thinking that a setup of Ayaka, Xingqiu, Diona, & Sucrose may be the setup to aim for. Xingqiu is the obvious premiere hydro applicator, Diona provides Cryo Resonance and can also be a battery for Ayaka's costly burst, and Sucrose can proc VV to further buff Ayaka's cryo damage. Anyone else have thoughts on all this?
I would replace sucrose with Jean if you have her then run Kaeya/Rosaria instead of Diona because their orb generation is better and their ults are stronger.

Kazuha owners might want to try Xingqiu solo heal as freeze comps wont need to heal much (layout depending).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 13, 2021

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I don't have Jean or Kazuha so my options for VV enablers are Sucrose or Venti. I lean towards Sucrose because Venti has a habit of loving over melee... though that depends on how Ayaka's attacks work. If the teleport part of her string and her charge attack track vertically like Kazuha's it might be fine to opt for Venti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Xinyan being a pyro healer would be a good way to go, would fit with her theme too, healing through the power of music and all. And we need more healers in the game as it is.