Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Battle Game in 5 Seconds had a pretty interesting first episode. The MC is a real weirdo however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

Season 2 of this was such a slog but I don't remember anything about what happened at this point to watch a season 3...

since I'm not watching much this season I'm thinking about a full re-watch of S1 then finally watching S2 since I never got around to it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would you say your best anime of the year has been to date?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 13, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

MonsterEnvy posted:

Battle Game in 5 Seconds had a pretty interesting first episode. The MC is a real weirdo however.
I read a bit of the manga and it's pretty good for the genre, mostly because the main character's power is so interesting.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Grouchio posted:

Vivy.
Edit at below: a VERY CLOSE second there

Sindai posted:

I read a bit of the manga and it's pretty good for the genre, mostly because the main character's power is so interesting.
I sincerely hope so. I'm kinda wondering how long it takes before the MC is completely hosed by the opponent figuring out his power.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 13, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Odd Taxi.

Which is pretty impressive, considering how good this winter and spring were. People just kept saying "Odd Taxi is Anime of the Year", "Odd Taxi is amazing." "I can't believe how good Odd Taxi is." So, you know, fine, apparently it stuck the landing, I checked it out to see if it lived up to the hype.

And then it did.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah last season was consistently good, there was always an excellent show pretty much every single day of the week. This season just ain't got the same spark.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Islamic Shock posted:

I sincerely hope so. I'm kinda wondering how long it takes before the MC is completely hosed by the opponent figuring out his power.

Well he is required to keep it a secret, it's utterly useless if found out.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he is required to keep it a secret, it's utterly useless if found out.
Yes, but the most obvious way to elevate the stakes later into the season is if it is indeed found out and he has to use his cunning to get around it. I suppose his secret will also be buried with the death of his enemy in such a case.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Yurucamp, UmaMusume 2, Super Cub are the top 3 for me. Precure catching up too as the summer filler has been real good this year

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Grouchio posted:

Uma Musume Season 2, much to my surprise (also I thought that was a 2020 anim, but apparently not) Super Cub is a close runner-up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Grouchio posted:

If we can include sequels / new seasons then Attack On Titan Final Season Part 1 by a long margin trumping only Re:Zero Season 2 Part 2.

If we can't then Horimiya or Mushoku Tensei. That's a toss up for me because Tensei is probably stronger more consistently and gets better in the back half but Horimiya has an electric first 6 episodes or so before settling into a vibe I don't mind but that isn't anywhere near as powerful as what they managed early.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Josee, the Tiger and the Fish.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Could someone explain the appeal of Mushoku Tensei to me? The MC seems like a total creep

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Could someone explain the appeal of Mushoku Tensei to me? The MC seems like a total creep

yeah, you've got it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Willo567 posted:

The animation is really good.

I started reading the LN after the end of the first cour and got through a half a book before dropping it because goddamn is he a creep.

Like he's a creep in the anime but that's actually toned down A LOT from the LN. Not having access to his inner thoughts all the time in the anime like you do in a book goes a long way to making him seem less loving disgusting.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Willo567 posted:

If you can get over that hill, and to be clear, it's completely fine if you can't and I can see that being a huge stopping point; then it's a beautifully animated and realised world with characters that feel complete and a plot that's genuinely interesting. More than anything the series obviously is happy taking its time to realise these elements and I really want to see where it goes from here.

As an anecdote I watched it with a lot of people who aren't all that into seasonal anime and everyone was hooked by the end.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-07-13/the-misfit-of-demon-king-academy-manga-artist-kayaharuka-passes-away/.175085

Well that's a drat shame. Pancreatic Cancer hits you hard and fast.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I misread that as Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun's mangaka passing away and nearly flipped out.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Willo567 posted:

good animation and soundtrack
but pedophile MC

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Grouchio posted:

OddTaxi for sure.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

oddtaxi is weird, i didnt even have it on my watchlist but everyone kept talking about it so i went to check it out and it's just a beastars knockoff???

turns out it's not and it's really, really loving good

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Srice posted:

Josee, the Tiger and the Fish was quite good! Everyone who is able to (safely) see it at their local theater is required by law to go out and watch it. I don't make the rules, that's just how it is.
They just started announcing UK dates for this so I think I’m going to make it the first film I go to a cinema for since the pandemic started.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

marumaru posted:

good animation and soundtrack
but pedophile MC

While we're on the topic, was Mushoku Tensei the first modern Japanese isekai to do the whole "guy dies and reincarnates in another world" trope? Knights and Magic had the same setup, and it was released two years earlier than MT

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Willo567 posted:

While we're on the topic, was Mushoku Tensei the first modern Japanese isekai to do the whole "guy dies and reincarnates in another world" trope? Knights and Magic had the same setup, and it was released two years earlier than MT

it wasn't the first, it was just one of the most popular webnovels so its fans credit it with influencing everything

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the timeline is different when you go back to the source material of all the isekai anime because they started as web novels, mushoku tensei was among the first wave but you couldnt say anyone was doing it 'first'. they were basically pulling from zero no tsukaima's premise (though the ZnT guy doesnt die, hes just summoned by a spell, which also happens in isekai today sometimes)

ZnT wasn't 'inventing' everything either since isekai appears sporadically throughout fiction but it was the work that ended up directly influential to the boom.

helpful read https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-03-19/mushoku-tensei-is-not-the-pioneer-of-isekai-web-novels-but/.170429

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

your av is so small.....

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
132cm
33kg

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Space Flower posted:

the timeline is different when you go back to the source material of all the isekai anime because they started as web novels, mushoku tensei was among the first wave but you couldnt say anyone was doing it 'first'. they were basically pulling from zero no tsukaima's premise (though the ZnT guy doesnt die, hes just summoned by a spell, which also happens in isekai today sometimes)

ZnT wasn't 'inventing' everything either since isekai appears sporadically throughout fiction but it was the work that ended up directly influential to the boom.

helpful read https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-03-19/mushoku-tensei-is-not-the-pioneer-of-isekai-web-novels-but/.170429

Out of curiosity I checked wikipedia and Summon Night came out on the ps1 four years before ZnT started. And there are probably antecedents to that as well. Not to mention the countless opportunities western fantasy stories would have had to influence things before then. The normal guy trapped in a fantasy world was so popular in western fantasy during the 70's and 80's it became a huge cliche and pretty much vanished because people were thoroughly sick of it.

The popularity of the genre is pretty clearly a slow accumulation and trying to point to any one thing as the grandfather of modern isekai is pretty fruitless. It's always been a popular setup for fantasy stories and it probably always will be. And any fan that says their thing is the one that started it all is full of poo poo.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that's just in line with what i said though, think you missed the point a bit

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
also there's "all works are loosely inspired off something" and then theres "a webnovel site's znt fanfics were dwarfing original works until they banned fanfiction and people started writing totally-not-my-znt-fanfic instead"

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Space Flower posted:

that's just in line with what i said though, think you missed the point a bit

I was agreeing with you and expanding the point. Jesus Christ what is wrong with you people? Do you have to make literally everything into a big stupid internet arguement?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for the record, ep 2 of realist hero was entirely about fixing the economy of the nation after the upper classes had replaced the nations farms crops with (now worthless) cotton as a cash crop, leading to a food shortage among the refugees and lower classes

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
raising additional points about isekai appearing in older works is fine i just disagree with the ending takeaway that you "cant pinpoint a grandfather of modern isekai" since 'modern isekai' does refer to a distinct boom with a notable starting point.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Davincie posted:

for the record, ep 2 of realist hero was entirely about fixing the economy of the nation after the upper classes had replaced the nations farms crops with (now worthless) cotton as a cash crop, leading to a food shortage among the refugees and lower classes
I'm looking forward to seeing if crop rotation as a concept actually exists in that world.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Willo567 posted:

It's beautifully animated and the MC gets to be a total creep with total impunity

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I fell off Nijisaki hard but the new Love Live had a really strong start.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

:stare: I just read an article about them cancelling the manga because of him getting sick like yesterday

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was very funny seeing youtubers who made five million rant videos about sao being morally impure talk about how actually you're the bad person if you dont like mushoku tensei

Supremezero posted:

:stare: I just read an article about them cancelling the manga because of him getting sick like yesterday
as mentioned, the cancer must have hit him like a truck. real tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just told youtube to never recommend me mother's basement long ago