Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Yesterday taught me when Ichinojo debuted he was seen as a Next Big Thing and not the Babushka Wall he is now, and so I checked and in his first ever basho he was runner up with a score of 13-2 AND he didn't wear a top knot which i didn't realise you could do that. For his sake he should've never stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5BN231udcA

And he made sumo people mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Wakatakakage more like Wakatakachokee

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Chiyotairyu learning the #1 rule of sports: play to the whistle (or in this case, to the gyoji: it's not Chiyotairyu's job to worry about hands, yet he decided to give Terunofuji a freebie)

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Chiyotairyu learning the #1 rule of sports: play to the whistle (or in this case, to the gyoji: it's not Chiyotairyu's job to worry about hands, yet he decided to give Terunofuji a freebie)

his plaintive look at the gyoji as Terunofuji ushered him out of the dohyo was kinda funny, at least

Terutsuyoshi back to his leg pick antics and looking pretty nimble! Hoping he can pull out a kachi-koshi

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think this is probably my last time picking Tochinoshin. As much as I love the guy, having him on my team is just too drat sad.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

He is definitely long past his peak and declining precipitously. It is a shame to watch.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

I really hope he hangs it up soon. He's so clearly in heaps of pain trying to do anything with that knee

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

He knows his career is dwindling down, and he's gonna max out those remaining months he's salaried as much as he can. Given the cost of living in Georgia, he's probably already considering how much more he needs to be set past seniority there.

Assuming the knee doesn't degrade further (tall order, I know), he can stretch things out a bit longer if he can manage 6-8 wins per basho in juryo.

:lol: at Abi eating poo poo 3 days in a row after going 7-0 during the first week.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDnMz_CaRic

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Khizan posted:

I think this is probably my last time picking Tochinoshin. As much as I love the guy, having him on my team is just too drat sad.

I will never not pick him. Supporting the big georgian boy on the SA forums banzuke is more important than my ranking.

Which tanked when I took like 4 bashos off anyway.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

"oh, you thought you were going to get a matta call? sorry brother, let me gently deposit you outside the dohyo"

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Takayasu/Wakatakakage was a great match and Takayasu is looking ready to reclaim that ozeki rank. He was dead to rights and shifted just enough to get the win. New conspiracy theory: he sat out with injury on the days where he would have fought Hakuho and Terunofuji to keep himself healthy enough to ensure kachi koshi

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Wakatakakage, you stink!!!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Best match of day 10 was Kaisei falling on a dude's head. He weights over 400 pounds

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm not gonna lie y'all – I'm happy with Ichiyamamoto, but I'm a little bummed I abandoned Kotonowaka after last basho, he's doing the sort of sumo I've been wanting to see from him for the last several months. I still wanna see him drop that center of gravity more.

Neodoomium posted:

Wakatakakage, you stink!!!

I think Wakatakakage is actually doing fine. The number of people who don't bounce off of komusubi the first time and take a bit of a tumble is super low. Facing all the yokozuna and ozeki in week one has to be brutal on the mind and body.

Kanthulhu posted:

Best match of day 10 was Kaisei falling on a dude's head. He weights over 400 pounds

On the replay he very clearly tries to avoid his face and mostly succeeds. He mostly glances off of it (with over 400 pounds).

Day 10 standings:

Makuuchi

code:
35.5	Kenning
35	bartolimu
35	captainblastum
35	Lid
34	Skjorte
33	GoatSeeGuy
33	jmzero
33	MyChemicalImbalance
33	whats for dinner
32	Everyones Favorite Poster
31.5	Brut
31.5	Dias
31	scripterror
30	Beeswax
29.5	Vargatron
29	Banana Canada
29	Fluffdaddy
29	Teddybear
29	Tiny Bug Child
29	Tochiazuma
28.5	Charles Gnarwin
28.5	MalarkeyToboggan
28.5	Neodoomium
28.5	Pakled
28.5	Scythe
28	Ice Phisherman
28	Maigius
28	ratmosphere
27.5	Marching Powder
27.5	pseudodragon
27.5	Thauros
27	bessantj
27	Biosys
26.5	Helianthus Annuus
26.5	Jobbo_Fett
26.5	sivad
26	anakha
26	Khizan
26	Shiroc
25.5	Chinook
25	Crusty Nutsack
24.5	Cage Kicker
24.5	QuasiQuack
23.5	Liquid Communism
20.5	Robviously
Juryo

code:
32	TwoWordName
31	KungFu Grip
29.5	Bellwether
28.5	LlamaTrauma
27	Halloween Jack
26.5	Communist Thoughts
26	rare Magic card l00k
25.5	Netsky
23.5	Martytoof
23.5	NuclearPotato
22.5	Eli949
22.5	Log082
18.5	ilmucche
14	Foehammer007
13	Glugglugs
I haven't been in the lead in fantasy in like a year! Other than the Takakeisho tragedy I'm very happy with this team.

TwoWordName
Jan 3, 2013

I know that that sticking with Tochinoshin was definitely not the correct play over the last week but I didn't have the heart to drop him. Today's loss to Ishiura was especially rough though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I recovered surprisingly well, still not giving Ishiura credit lest he starts loving things up again, but my strategy is paying off.

I'd love if Mitakeumi performed consistently tho, I like the dude, he's just never good enough for long enough to make it past komosubi.

updates on girlfriend sumo:

> she has a crush on wakawaka
> she thinks tochinoshin is ugly, then was surprised when she found out he has a big fanbase and looked prettier when he was younger
> still impressed by hakuho and terunofuji as we all should be
> likes tobizaru and houshoryuu because they're fun to watch
> dislikes chiyoshouma and kiribayama because they're too skinny
> thinks hokutofuji looks terrifying

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm glad Takayasu is holding his own and I credit it entirely to the fact that I didn't pick him up for fantasy the second he came back.

@kenning, remind me what event prompts a .5 on the fantasy scoring chart?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

If this basho doesn’t end with a day 15 showdown for a zensho yusho, I will be disappointed. It seems barreling towards that and Terunofuji winning the rope by running the table and felling the GOAT is the perfect ending for his impossible comeback.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Really happy to see Ichiyamamoto getting close to KK with his first visit to Makuuchi.

I've been working some odd hours so haven't been keeping up with the sumo as much as I should be, I only just noted that Hokuseiho is 5-0, that should see him up to Juryo.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

If this basho doesn’t end with a day 15 showdown for a zensho yusho, I will be disappointed. It seems barreling towards that and Terunofuji winning the rope by running the table and felling the GOAT is the perfect ending for his impossible comeback.

Don't say those two words, that just makes it more likely it won't happen!!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm just mad that my obvious first pick Takayasu pulled right before the start of the basho, I get saddled with good-for-nothing Waka, and then the big hairy man comes back and starts dominating. Had I known he'd take the first two days off I would still have happily picked him :mad:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I'm glad Takayasu is holding his own and I credit it entirely to the fact that I didn't pick him up for fantasy the second he came back.

@kenning, remind me what event prompts a .5 on the fantasy scoring chart?

A score of X.5 is the result of a penalty. The most common penalty is -0.5 points if any of your rikishi (or any rikishi you traded away) get a make-koshi. You also get a -0.5 penalty for making a second trade (first trade is free). Every trade after 2 is -1, but that's pretty rare as you can imagine.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Don't say those two words, that just makes it more likely it won't happen!!

Day 14 the JSA announces our two leaders are taking on Asanoyama and Ryuden just to be safe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu has Tobizaru tomorrow. Hasn't Tobi wrecked Takayasu in the last two? I mean, he's kind of not doing great right now so I still have hope that Tak can lay him down even if it is another L for my team.

Kenning posted:

A score of X.5 is the result of a penalty. The most common penalty is -0.5 points if any of your rikishi (or any rikishi you traded away) get a make-koshi. You also get a -0.5 penalty for making a second trade (first trade is free). Every trade after 2 is -1, but that's pretty rare as you can imagine.

Roger dodger! Thank you sir :)

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

So happy to be mid-table

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Beeswax posted:

I'm just mad that my obvious first pick Takayasu pulled right before the start of the basho, I get saddled with good-for-nothing Waka, and then the big hairy man comes back and starts dominating. Had I known he'd take the first two days off I would still have happily picked him :mad:

See you down at M10 my friend, lmao (this is also my story)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lid posted:

Yesterday taught me when Ichinojo debuted he was seen as a Next Big Thing and not the Babushka Wall he is now, and so I checked and in his first ever basho he was runner up with a score of 13-2 AND he didn't wear a top knot which i didn't realise you could do that. For his sake he should've never stopped.

The only reason for not having a topknot is if you are unable to get your hair up. You see it in the lower ranks all the time where some 15 year old kid just has normal hair, but it’s super rare in Makuuchi. But because Ichinojo was an university champ, he got to start in Makushita and kicked rear end on his way up so he’s one of the few people that got promoted faster than their hair.

On the flip side you also see some old balding dudes hanging on to really sad looking topknots in the lower ranks.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kenning posted:

I think Wakatakakage is actually doing fine. The number of people who don't bounce off of komusubi the first time and take a bit of a tumble is super low. Facing all the yokozuna and ozeki in week one has to be brutal on the mind and body.

Yeah, this is something I didn't fully appreciate when I started watching sumo. Komusubi and M1-2 are meatgrinder ranks because they're first up to get fed to sekiwake and up.

And sekiwake as a rank is deceptive. It's the terminal rank of sumo because it's the highest rank you can hit just by going kachi-koshi every basho. It's where you end up if you're great but not consistent enough to assemble an ozeki run, so the gap between komusubi and sekiwake can be deceptively large.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is sumo a big draw at the University level like baseball or another major sport? I'm not familiar with how college sports and recruiting works in Japan.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Khizan posted:

Yeah, this is something I didn't fully appreciate when I started watching sumo. Komusubi and M1-2 are meatgrinder ranks because they're first up to get fed to sekiwake and up.

And sekiwake as a rank is deceptive. It's the terminal rank of sumo because it's the highest rank you can hit just by going kachi-koshi every basho. It's where you end up if you're great but not consistent enough to assemble an ozeki run, so the gap between komusubi and sekiwake can be deceptively large.

Yeah, one great way to see how good a wrestler is is if he's ever made sekiwake. Anyone whose ever appeared at that rank was an elite wrestler, period. Tamawashi, Takarafuji, Aoiyama, Ichinojo, Okinoumi, all super impressive fighters, even though they're all maegashira men these days. Ozeki is really hard to get, so sekiwake is really the sign of a great wrestler.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

pseudodragon posted:

On the flip side you also see some old balding dudes hanging on to really sad looking topknots in the lower ranks.
I wondered about this--will the Official Sumo Hairdressers shave your hairline back so you look like a real samurai? Is there a rule against that?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5BN231udcA

And he made sumo people mad.
It's a general rule of thumb that if a guy is unusually big and tall and also has mastered a few basic sumo skills, they'll at least get up to Juryo fairly quickly, and then it takes the regulars a tourney or two to work out the trick to beating a huge charging flesh wall with no technique (it's usually 'move to the side'). Even Yamamotoyama bulldozed his way up lower Makuuchi, and he was the blubberiest of them.

I'd guess Hokuseiho's gonna hit the same wall soon, but he seems much more mobile and better on his feet than you'd expect, so maybe he'll do better.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

net work error posted:

Is sumo a big draw at the University level like baseball or another major sport? I'm not familiar with how college sports and recruiting works in Japan.
It's much more niche than the major sports, because the idea is to start young and most recruits are already in a stable before they'd graduate university, but yeah, there's some college clubs and an amateur national championship. Anyone who wins it and chooses to actually join a stable and try and make a career gets the special rank of 'Makushita Tsukedashi' and gets to start out in Makushita - sometimes as high as Ms 15.

It's usually only one or two people per year, at most. Off the top of my head, Myogiryu, Mitakeumi, and Enho all came up that way (Ichinojo also started as tsukedashi after winning amateur tournaments, but without being a college student.)

Edit: here's last year's nationals: https://www.insidesportjapan.com/sumo/amateur-sumo/2020-all-japan-championships/

quote:

Apart from glory, success the All Japan Championships brings other more tangible benefits.

Professional sumo (Ozumo) grants a start at the rank of makushita division #15 to the winners of the four major amateur tournaments (Kokutai, Corporate Championships, Student Championships and All Japan), and a Sandanme division #100 rank qualification to those who reach the quarterfinals. A winner of any of the first three tournaments can improve that starting rank to makushita #10 if he also takes the All Japan title.

Generally, only students in their final year of university take advantage of the qualification - though some, including 2019 winner Tanioka, chose not to.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 13, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Apraxin posted:

It's a general rule of thumb that if a guy is unusually big and tall and also has mastered a few basic sumo skills, they'll at least get up to Juryo fairly quickly, and then it takes the regulars a tourney or two to work out the trick to beating a huge charging flesh wall with no technique (it's usually 'move to the side'). Even Yamamotoyama bulldozed his way up lower Makuuchi, and he was the blubberiest of them.

I'd guess Hokuseiho's gonna hit the same wall soon, but he seems much more mobile and better on his feet than you'd expect, so maybe he'll do better.

I sort of like the symmetry in the way that big guys can climb pretty high on sheer size and little guys can climb pretty high on sheer skill, but both of them have a rapid drop once the guys in makuuchi get a little bit of experience with them. You've got to have a balance of it.

That said, I think Hokuseiho is definitely gonna hit a rough point where he's no longer able to win on sheer physicality, but I also think he's got the ability to get past that wall. He's Hakuho's protege, after all.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Hoshoryu making kk with a beautiful takedown of Shodai :woop:

At this point Terunofuji looks more dominant than even Hakuho, he's not struggling at all to the same extent he was during his previous yusho winnings runs. I very much hope we see a 14-0 finale between the two giants, it'll be just like the old days when titans clashed on the last day. We've not had that in ages.

Takayasu just needs 3 wins from the next 4 bouts to make it back to Ozeki. I was skeptical that he could ever do it again after he made it back to Komusubi, then Sekiwake, but by god I think the madman could actually do it.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 14, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm wondering if they're gonna throw Takayasu some softballs in this last handful of matches.

With Asanoyama banned for a year, Takakeisho out with a neck injury for probably the next few bashos, and the Kaiju looking like he's gonna take the rope, they're gonna be down to Shodai for an ozeki for the next couple of bashos if Takayasu can't take it here.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Takakeisho will be back next basho. He shouldn't, be he will.

Terunofuji's matches today and yesterday felt straight out of 2011, if you know what I mean.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Takayasu just needs 3 wins from the next 4 bouts to make it back to Ozeki. I was skeptical that he could ever do it again after he made it back to Komusubi, then Sekiwake, but by god I think the madman could actually do it.

Typical performance requirements are 33 over 3 basho, he went 10, 10, so he’d need 13 here which is mathematically impossible given his score :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Brut posted:

Takakeisho will be back next basho. He shouldn't, be he will.

Terunofuji's matches today and yesterday felt straight out of 2011, if you know what I mean.

I just hope he doesn't make the injury way worse in doing so. Seems like a pretty sure way to end his career...

Terunofuji blasting Mitakeumi on the tachiai and forcing him out in 3 steps was pretty wild to see. Hardly looked like Mitakeumi was even able to slow him down.