Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SplitSoul posted:

There's also an additional speed boost hiding in the new champion point system.
Yeah, but as an active costing 20 points per 2% way up in the tree it's not really worth it unless you're like CP2500 or something and using that switching addon. I find I'm plenty fast with 60 mount training plus the CA passive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah, but as an active costing 20 points per 2% way up in the tree it's not really worth it unless you're like CP2500 or something and using that switching addon. I find I'm plenty fast with 60 mount training plus the CA passive.

The thing I'm most annoyed with is harvesting taking 1½ picking/chopping animation now with the CP boost.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SplitSoul posted:

The thing I'm most annoyed with is harvesting taking 1½ picking/chopping animation now with the CP boost.
Are you sure it's full and slotted? With full points it works like before for me, single stroke to pick up.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Are you sure it's full and slotted? With full points it works like before for me, single stroke to pick up.

I'm probably misremembering then, might've had too few points to max it.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Imagine devoting your life to Dibella, spreading love and harmony to the people, only to have someone stroll into your temple and stab you in the back for 10 seals of endeavor.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sounds like history.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lysandus posted:

Imagine devoting your life to Dibella, spreading love and harmony to the people, only to have someone stroll into your temple and stab you in the back for 10 seals of endeavor.

*my argonian dk assassin looks directly at the camera like a character from the office*

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Isn’t that what happened in Anvil?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
regarding: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3758071&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post516168113

was shadowbane the first mmo to have seasonal, wiped servers? I don't remember the exact date, maybe 2004 or 5 devs released a Test server which along with being an actual test server, also became the most popular server in the game pretty quickly. Mostly because it made leveling 10 or 20x faster and let you get to the best part of the game - the PvP and character building much faster. You could get to max level in a single overnight botting exp camp.

Test was periodically wiped, which probably upset some people but others (like myself) absolutely loved it, because it really shook up the political meta and allowed new factions to really spring to life when they could otherwise have a very difficult time rising to power in the shadow of an established behemoth

eventually this lead to seasonal (non test) servers with this and other effects. they had a much faster leveling experience, sometimes had other changes like mixing up the map, nodes, etc. and mixed up the political meta.

anyway, i'm trying to think of games that had similar concepts at the time in the MMO realm but I can't think of any. Anyone else?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

A friend of mine informed me that I do not actually need to be following the quest lines in release order. This is nice because I've been burning out on Cadwell's Silver, but on the other hand... what else would I do? Is randomly hopping around zones really that gratifying? Sure, I'd like to see Vvardenfell and Summurset and Blackwood, but in the end I'm just going to be following questlines and randomly meandering towards map objectives there too right?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

A friend of mine informed me that I do not actually need to be following the quest lines in release order. This is nice because I've been burning out on Cadwell's Silver, but on the other hand... what else would I do? Is randomly hopping around zones really that gratifying? Sure, I'd like to see Vvardenfell and Summurset and Blackwood, but in the end I'm just going to be following questlines and randomly meandering towards map objectives there too right?
The expansion/DLC questlines are separate so you wouldn't be randomly doing things, you'd be doing the questlines in those DLC. The writing and stories vary so they might be more interesting. That might not interest you if it's general ESO questing that you're burnt out on rather than that particular questline, though. The other option is doing non-questing content: dungeons, trials, arenas, PVP, housing, grinding and trading, etc.

Or you could just take a break from the game, I guess.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Do what the loading screen says - go off in a different direction and see what's there. It's fun to load into a new zone and just explore. You can do the quests you find along the way.

EDIT: welp, that seems to be what you are tired of. If you want to be reductive, all RPGs are that. Maybe do some dungeons or work on crafting a while?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sounds like I'm just looking at general burnout. I played a lot in my first month, and finished the Daggerfall Covenant and the Main Quest in that time. I know it's unrealistic, but in the back of my mind I'm always wanting it to be more like Elder Scrolls 3. I know in the end of the day it's all just quests but there's a certain je ne sais quoi to questing in "proper" Elder Scrolls games that I feel like Online sort of lacks. The lore and stories are mostly great though. Like, it's not really bad questing. It's just hard to shake that feeling that I'm running on a treadmill.

So yeah, probably just burnout. Maybe it'll be enough to leave Cadwell's Silver alone for a time and just quest in the DLC that specifically lights up my lights. Wrothgar, Morrowind, Clockwork City, Summurset, Elsewhere, Graymoor, and Blackwood honestly all look fun. I haven't been jumping straight to them because I'm assuming in substance they would be very much like just questing where I'm already at, so why not just do it in order?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I mean, they’ve all got their own main plot line and a change of scenery so there’s that. If you’re just burned out on the very act of doing quests though that’s not going to fix it.

I will say if I had done Caldwell’s Silver rather than continuing the game I likely would no longer be playing myself. Faction wars are boring.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Pug Rodeo posted:

I mean, they’ve all got their own main plot line and a change of scenery so there’s that. If you’re just burned out on the very act of doing quests though that’s not going to fix it.

I will say if I had done Caldwell’s Silver rather than continuing the game I likely would no longer be playing myself. Faction wars are boring.

I'm going to try and see if a change of scenery will help. I originally saw all these guides that really stressed The Correct Story Order, which is a loathsome way to play the game, but I had been lead to believe there was a great narrative coherence that relied on it. A friend of mine has recently lead me to believe that issue is exaggerated and that the zones are actually reasonably self-contained. I had played through Daggerfall Covenant and I felt like that really benefited from playing in order, but that's probably more of a base game thing?

Anyway, my guild is taking me to kill dragons in Elsewhere this evening and that should be a great change of pace.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
You can really just mix and match whatever content you want. Sometimes main quest npcs show up but if you haven't met them you'd hardly know because you generally get a "haven't met this guy" flag on them and they introduce themselves. Some expansions have more solid links between each other than others but nothing's really a must play in order type of deal

Elsweyr sounds like a good call because it really is the most original flavor of content as far as Online goes. The writers love their khajiit

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I'm going to try and see if a change of scenery will help. I originally saw all these guides that really stressed The Correct Story Order, which is a loathsome way to play the game, but I had been lead to believe there was a great narrative coherence that relied on it. A friend of mine has recently lead me to believe that issue is exaggerated and that the zones are actually reasonably self-contained. I had played through Daggerfall Covenant and I felt like that really benefited from playing in order, but that's probably more of a base game thing?

Anyway, my guild is taking me to kill dragons in Elsewhere this evening and that should be a great change of pace.
All three of the campaigns from the base game lead to the same point so since you’ve done the capstone quest already there’s no need to keep doing it if you don’t want to.

The main reason to do Cadwell’s Silver/Gold is honestly just seeing the zone stories and getting more dyes from doing their respective achievements.

It sounds like you liked Morrowind back in the day so I’d suggest starting with the expansion that takes place there. There’s a lot of fun stuff referencing what will happen in TES3 and it’ll get you started on the expansion stories which do somewhat tie together in the order they came out chronologically.

I personally like the expansion stories a lot more than the base story as they’d had more time to get a feel for what they wanted to do with the story and they have some great recurring characters to add some personality into the mix.

If you’re not looking for a big dramatic story you can also hit up some of the original DLC stuff from before they started doing expansions like Orsinium, the Thieves’ Guild, Dark Brotherhood, etc.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

The very first thing I did after the tutorial was head to Vvardenfel since my favorite Elder scrolls game is also Morrowind. Get these to Vvardenfel, they did a great job with it, although they did have to scale it down a little.

I probably spent a whole day just running around and going OHHH , I see what they did there- cool!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

No one spoil me on it, but I am so excited to see what Balmora looks like in ESO. I took a gander at Seyda Neen earlier and I felt my heart flutter with familiarity. It makes no sense for Seyda Neen to be present in that form in 2E, but drat it looks awesome.

I've also always wanted to play an Argonian bandit in Skyrim for some reason so I'm thinking of rolling one up and getting into some trouble outside Riften or something.

Honestly looking way more forward to my play session now that I know it's fine to just mix and match. I have this weird tendency to get into completionist mode with a game at first blush but I think I'll try to put that mindset off for a while.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

It makes no sense for [thing] to be present in that form in 2E, but drat it looks awesome.

Keep this in mind at all times, and you'll have a good time.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I just keep in mind that histories in previous games are not alway accurate and sometimes contradictory (just like real life) and it stops bothering me.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
If you want the storylines to flow in Absolutely Guaranteed Sensible Order, you should play things in release order. The newer expensions in particular have a liking for bringing back previous characters (Abnur in Elsweyr, Sai Sahan in Dragonhold, Lyris in Greymoor, Verandis Ravenwatch in Markarth, Eveli Sharp-Arrow in Blackwood), but they don't go back to the original storylines and update the dialogue so it makes sense if you do those questlines first.

So when you meet Abnur in the OG Main Quest (Five Companions storyline), even if you played through Elsweyr first, he won't recognize you at all.

(that said the OG MQ also does make things a little confusing at the end if you made some choices and then those choices are lightly retconned out)

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

There’s a linear path for sure, but:

1. Cadwell’s Silver/Gold isn’t really impacted by this. If you’ve only bought the base game and you’re wanting to stretch your dollars out it’s a great way to get a ton of content in without spending any more money but you’re not really advancing a narrative at all.

2. If you’re bored I feel like changing pace and finding something new to enjoy is far more worth it then having some flavor text mention that someone has met you before.

It’s more of a novelty that ESO even does this at all. WoW for example hardly ever has flavor text change based on previous interactions and it’s pretty much always the same cast of characters in each plot line.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I ended up letting my curiosity drive me to Summurset and I'm so glad I did. In the end I was doing the same thing I was doing in Malabal Tor, but Summurset is way freakin' better. The environment is so much more fun to explore. It is absolutely gorgeous. The quests and delves are better too. I do not really know why but I just enjoyed it way more.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Sounds like I'm just looking at general burnout. I played a lot in my first month, and finished the Daggerfall Covenant and the Main Quest in that time. I know it's unrealistic, but in the back of my mind I'm always wanting it to be more like Elder Scrolls 3. I know in the end of the day it's all just quests but there's a certain je ne sais quoi to questing in "proper" Elder Scrolls games that I feel like Online sort of lacks. The lore and stories are mostly great though. Like, it's not really bad questing. It's just hard to shake that feeling that I'm running on a treadmill.

This is exactly how I feel about this game and I think the problem is basically every quest is reduced to "Talk to person>fight through trash to talk to different person(s)/find lore breadcrumbs>kill veteran enemy with slightly more HP" no matter what the story or nature of the quest. I mean most games are somewhat formulaic if you look at them just right but combine this with the piss-easy overworld combat and the fact that there really aren't any alternate routes/methods to complete quests and it all just feels very shallow.

I feel like I'm on a (good) MMO amusement park ride through a proper TES game rather than actually playing one. I don't want to sound like I'm hating on the game either, I actually enjoyed my time with the game and there are a lot of cool things and fun to be had. It's just once the luster on the illusion faded for me I can't get into it anymore even though I really want to :(.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I ended up letting my curiosity drive me to Summurset and I'm so glad I did. In the end I was doing the same thing I was doing in Malabal Tor, but Summurset is way freakin' better. The environment is so much more fun to explore. It is absolutely gorgeous. The quests and delves are better too. I do not really know why but I just enjoyed it way more.

Summerset is amazing I agree. I was blown away by the island. OH I haven’t really run around there since the PS5 upgrade - I bet it’s gorgeous now. The other nice thing is a lot of dialogue acknowledges if you are playing a high elf.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

started playing again on pc and starting over from nothing made me realize what a pain in the rear end it was to grind out the crafting skills. went with a 2h stamina dragonknight this time and while my damage is just ok its prettymuch impossible for me to die on overland public dungeons unless i fall asleep. i never realized how useful consuming trap is too.

i made a beeline to unlock one of the companions and hes pretty useful so far. set him up to heal and did fungal grotto by myself. i dunno how well thats going to work on the harder dungeons though.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I am thinking about making a Stamblade this weekend. It would be my first alt. I guess to be efficient I will want to have my main craft some Training gear to help. Are there any particular sets I should craft or should I just use regular Medium Armor and weapons until my character reaches level 50?

E: Also is solo bow/bow a thing? Because I would like it to be.

100 degrees Calcium fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 17, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I am thinking about making a Stamblade this weekend. It would be my first alt. I guess to be efficient I will want to have my main craft some Training gear to help. Are there any particular sets I should craft or should I just use regular Medium Armor and weapons until my character reaches level 50?

You could make set gear but your leveling buffs and quick gear replacement makes it pretty much not worthwhile. Just level. If you happen to get set training gear, then wear that.

quote:

E: Also is solo bow/bow a thing? Because I would like it to be.

Anything can be A Thing. I’ve been using mostly bow on my stam warden with Miri as a night blade and that’s working nicely. I definitely do more damage when I switch to 2 hand, but it’s still fun and not gimped. Do it. Alts especially are the places to just do fun stuff IMO.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 17, 2021

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Summerset is really, really pretty, and I thought the main quest was really good, even compared to Morrowind (though the outer ring of small island there is also really nice), so I know the feeling!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I haven’t played in a while and just want to jump in and do a dolmen train since I don’t really know how to play anymore

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Snowy posted:

I haven’t played in a while and just want to jump in and do a dolmen train since I don’t really know how to play anymore

On PS4/5 at least the best place to do that is in Alikir Desert. Join a group via zone chat and they just go from one Dolmen to the next over and over and over...

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I started a templar and they are really fun but man, I have so much time in my warden though.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
I also just started playing again after a long hiatus, and I've rolled up a 2H necromancer orcgirl. I'm having a blast so far and will have to find the goon guild again. Are we still on Ebonheart Pact? The OP is so ancient that I don't trust anything there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I also just started playing again after a long hiatus, and I've rolled up a 2H necromancer orcgirl. I'm having a blast so far and will have to find the goon guild again. Are we still on Ebonheart Pact? The OP is so ancient that I don't trust anything there.

The guild is still there, and I hadn't gotten booted after a very long hiatus, so check your guild in game, you might actually still be in it. Not very active at all though, at least during the times I've been on.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

drat i was hyped when i hit 50 and was flying through champion levels but once i got to 100 it slowed to a crawl. at 140 now but its been an absolute slog. think im going to try a warden once i hit 160. are ice mages a thing yet?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Ebonheart Goons are there but slow. That said since the game lets you be in 5 guilds no harm in having it there and then joining other more active guilds for your primary playing.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ASenileAnimal posted:

drat i was hyped when i hit 50 and was flying through champion levels but once i got to 100 it slowed to a crawl. at 140 now but its been an absolute slog. think im going to try a warden once i hit 160. are ice mages a thing yet?

What kinds of things are you doing? I’m at level 630+ and I get new levels so often I don’t even notice.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Doctor Zero posted:

What kinds of things are you doing? I’m at level 630+ and I get new levels so often I don’t even notice.

finished the main and alliance storylines and doing morrowind now. i was up to 600 when i played on ps4 but i stopped paying attention to how fast i was gaining after i hit the gear cap level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ASenileAnimal posted:

finished the main and alliance storylines and doing morrowind now. i was up to 600 when i played on ps4 but i stopped paying attention to how fast i was gaining after i hit the gear cap level

Huh. I doubt they give you more EXP on console. :shrug:

Well Stam Warden is easy mode for non-pvp once you get up there so if you like the play style I do recommend it.