Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Blockhouse posted:

Sasuke literally took like three hundred needles to the back for Naruto and almost died what's this "sociopath who never did anything good" poo poo coming from

Yes that would be the roughly 3 seconds of the story where he was actually tolerable. A reminder that Naruto ran for 15 years. That poo poo you are talking about was year 1. Literally, I think that chapter came out around September a year from when it launched. And as best I can remember that's about the peak of Sasuke being there for other people. That's the bit people remember fondly anyway, the early parts. Hell the entire first part of Naruto is only a third of the manga. 5 years or so. There was another 10 after that. And the dude was basically just a straight up antagonist from part II on, trying to kill everyone on a constant basis. Again, right up to the absolute last arc. There was never a Sasuke redemption arc. Hell they don't even pretend he had one in Boruto, it's just "Yeah he totally ghosted his family basically instantly after his kid was born." and the vague mention that he may be out there killing people for Naruto.

And yes, the majority of the cast were war criminals training children to commit war crimes for, as best I can tell, absolutely no reason. Most of them earned a Chidori to the head. Sadly few of them got one.

Amusingly this story does have a Sasuke in it. It's Shigaraki. He's basically just Sasuke if he got snake holed by the old man instead of winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The revelations of his parents being the Hokage and his wife who sacrificed themselves so that Naruto and the village might live makes this poo poo the dumbest weirdest plot point. "Oh we fear that boy because his inner monster killed our beloved Hokage, his dad that wished for him to live happily..."

Just a loving incredibly stupid town. Nobody would treat Killer Bee this way.

This is technically a combination of a few things, firstly the mistreatment of Naruto gets way overblown by the fanbase in the first place (he was excluded by civilians), secondly Jinchuuriki are not a well known topic to begin with (nobody knew Kushina or the First's wife had the Kyuubi) so to most people the fear is the seal didn't work and Naruto is actually just the Nine-tails, thirdly the Third Hokage was afraid that Minato's enemies would assassinate Naruto if it was known who his father was (notably Stone 100% would have done so and say as much in the story).

Realistically Naruto was abandoned but not abused, one of a hundred orphans born by the Kyuubi attack and the Third Hokage tried extremely hard (to the point of issuing a blanket execution order for any Shinobi or Civilian sharing the truth of the Nine-tailed Beast's sealing) to let Naruto have a normal enough childhood. Naruto himself seems to mostly just be intensely lonely, not actually abused. Even then him being a Jinchuuriki isn't well known, all that is known by most people is that he was an infant born the day of the attack who was brought back from the place where their beloved fourth hokage died fighting the monster.

Killer Bee was an adult when he literally fought the Eight-Tails (which had killed the previous host and escaped, in fact killed four hosts at that point) and successfully captured the Tailed Beast on his own before making it his friend. In comparison, Gaara had the one-tails sealed inside literally before his birth and is bugfuck nuts because the seal he's got is poo poo. Also the most famous Jinchuuriki in the world is the Third Mizukage of the Village Hidden in the Mist and it was his regime that gave rise to the Bloody Mist name, as well as several massacres and brutal actions that left him known as a true demon.

To get this back to the discussion of current MHA. Midoriya is a great Sasuke, because he's doing the exact same loner I must do everything myself thing that Sasuke was actually doing (the vengeance was the thing he was doing, him being a loner is all of his own doing) and the connection between Bakugo and Midoriya actually makes way more sense in this moment, because Bakugo has literally learnt from Izuku that going it alone isn't a good way to be a hero.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 13, 2021

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

"naruto's childhood was fine" *50th cut of the swingset to drive home the point that naruto's childhood was not, in fact, fine*

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

trying to argue that naruto constantly being bullied and ostracized by almost every kid didn't equate to abuse in his childhood is a really bad take

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

christmas boots posted:

I speak, of course, of the glowing baby.

:wth:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Aurora posted:

"naruto's childhood was fine" *50th cut of the swingset to drive home the point that naruto's childhood was not, in fact, fine*

Aurora posted:

trying to argue that naruto constantly being bullied and ostracized by almost every kid didn't equate to abuse in his childhood is a really bad take

Good thing that isn't what I was arguing, I was saying it gets overblown not that it didn't happen. I was trying to point out the reality of what happened, he was intensely lonely with nearly no friends, but there was very little direct bullying beyond him being a class clown and a failure. People are mean to him but not attacking him (as opposed to Bakugo actually attacking Izuku, Naruto was excluded but that's it from my memory).

The swingset is literally about how lonely he was, but people seem to want this to turn into the entire village constantly assaulting and making GBS threads on Naruto as reasons he should hate them all and I was speaking on that.

Obviously his ostracisation and the fact that people openly loathed him is abusive, but it's not beatdowns in the streets abusive, and the majority of his actual close peers (at least the ninja ones) clearly tolerate him or find him fun if a bit of a loser.

Also I was trying to point out that most people don't know anything except Naruto was born on the night the Kyuubi attacked and retrieved from the place the Fourth Hokage died, his parentage is unknown, the Fourth Hokage's dying wish that he be seen as a hero whilst known is not something people are able to see past their loss to do for the most part (a running theme in Naruto is inability to move on from loss creating further loss and pain, Naruto breaks that cycle).

His childhood is bad, but it's not nearly as bad as people say it is, that's all. This also is why he cares about Sasuke so much for the record, Sasuke is someone Naruto thinks understands Naruto's pain and isolation. He latches onto (and saves) Gaara for exactly the same reason.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 13, 2021

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Isnt the first chapter of Naruto about one of his teachers who gets Naruto to do his dirty work because he knows he'll be blamed and then he tries to murder him so he can cover it up?

Also the lonely childhood thing is weird bc you'll have swingset scenes then you'll have other scenes were he was decent friends with Chouji and Shikamaru and sorta hung out with Sasuke at age 5.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dude got along decently with the ninja kids and adults, but he didn't really have a friend or, you know, a parental figure to go back home to. That's still extremely lonely, especially for a child.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Sindai posted:

It really did. I'm going to think about Satan From Orbit on my deathbed

It makes me angry how stylish Bleach was in retrospect versus how bad it was. The volume poems and covers were dope as hell. Truly the definition of style over substance.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Doc Fission posted:

It makes me angry how stylish Bleach was in retrospect versus how bad it was. The volume poems and covers were dope as hell. Truly the definition of style over substance.

I mean, I just flipped open the first chapter in the Viz app, and it's pretty loving good. Art's not the hyper stylized stuff you get with later Bleach and Burn the Witch, but it's got a lot of character and gets the story across. The writing is reasonably dense, letting you get to know the two leads and see the setup for the manga fast, with no slow fumbling to get to the basic setup six chapters in like a lot of Jump manga.

Reading the early chapters fresh, it's pretty clear how Bleach got to be one of the best selling manga of all time. It's a good manga that's also stylish as they come. The fact that it fell apart as it went doesn't invalidate the early success.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Doc Fission posted:

And the outfits, who could forget the outfits?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

chiasaur11 posted:

Reading the early chapters fresh, it's pretty clear how Bleach got to be one of the best selling manga of all time. It's a good manga that's also stylish as they come. The fact that it fell apart as it went doesn't invalidate the early success.

Kubo’s postmortem was “never listen to the WSJ editors”. And given how many wretched editorial decisions they’ve made over the years, it’s hard to blame him.

Once you throw out your initial story draft and start improvising, you’re screwed. You just don’t have enough free time as a mangaka to sit down and plan out a new direction. You’ll be slapping together tournament arcs and writing by the seat of your pants until the day you die/get canceled.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Mulva posted:

Yes that would be the roughly 3 seconds of the story where he was actually tolerable. A reminder that Naruto ran for 15 years. That poo poo you are talking about was year 1. Literally, I think that chapter came out around September a year from when it launched. And as best I can remember that's about the peak of Sasuke being there for other people. That's the bit people remember fondly anyway, the early parts. Hell the entire first part of Naruto is only a third of the manga. 5 years or so. There was another 10 after that. And the dude was basically just a straight up antagonist from part II on, trying to kill everyone on a constant basis. Again, right up to the absolute last arc. There was never a Sasuke redemption arc. Hell they don't even pretend he had one in Boruto, it's just "Yeah he totally ghosted his family basically instantly after his kid was born." and the vague mention that he may be out there killing people for Naruto.

And yes, the majority of the cast were war criminals training children to commit war crimes for, as best I can tell, absolutely no reason. Most of them earned a Chidori to the head. Sadly few of them got one.

Amusingly this story does have a Sasuke in it. It's Shigaraki. He's basically just Sasuke if he got snake holed by the old man instead of winning.

gently caress Sasuke, he's probably my least favorite anime/manga character ever. He's loving despicable

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Kubo’s postmortem was “never listen to the WSJ editors”. And given how many wretched editorial decisions they’ve made over the years, it’s hard to blame him.

Once you throw out your initial story draft and start improvising, you’re screwed. You just don’t have enough free time as a mangaka to sit down and plan out a new direction. You’ll be slapping together tournament arcs and writing by the seat of your pants until the day you die/get canceled.

It seems the lesson was learned. If what Horikoshi has alluded to is true, MHA has been largely plotted out to its conclusion and it's just a matter of filling in the journey based on the strength of the character writing and story arcs needed. Since MHA has been far more consistently good than Bleach and Naruto were this is a far better approach to take and I believe it's what most current manga are doing.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Ok so, this got me thinking, we know Shinso's voice thing doesn't apply his quirk, but what if he got really good at impressions...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Willo567 posted:

gently caress Sasuke, he's probably my least favorite anime/manga character ever. He's loving despicable

I see a can of worms approaching from just on the edge of the horizon.

I'm getting out while the getting is good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Ok so, this got me thinking, we know Shinso's voice thing doesn't apply his quirk, but what if he got really good at impressions...

That's literally what his voice thing does, and it does apply his quirk since it doesn't directly change his voice(it stimulates his vocal cords or something).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

That's literally what his voice thing does, and it does apply his quirk since it doesn't directly change his voice(it stimulates his vocal cords or something).

it uses strictly mechanical means of voice changing (shifting metal plates within the mask iirc). his quirk is only nullified if he changes his voice electronically, so no loudspeakers or intercoms to blast entire roomfuls of people at once

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Shinso is gonna mimic Deku's dad's voice and Deku's gonna say "That sounds nothing like Gentle Criminal."

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

RatHat posted:

I legitimately forgot his voice box actually did that. I just remembered his quirk couldnt be messed with electronically and assumed the box didnt work for actual control because of that. Doesn't help joint training is a blur to me other than 1. Blackwhip 2. Mushroom girl is busted 3. Tetsutetsutetsutetsutetsu 4. Momo sucks.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Shinso is gonna mimic Deku's dad's voice and Deku's gonna say "That sounds nothing like Gentle Criminal."

Man, now I'm hoping that Gentle Criminal comes back and is the one to finally talk some sense into Deku.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kild posted:

Isnt the first chapter of Naruto about one of his teachers who gets Naruto to do his dirty work because he knows he'll be blamed and then he tries to murder him so he can cover it up?

Also the lonely childhood thing is weird bc you'll have swingset scenes then you'll have other scenes were he was decent friends with Chouji and Shikamaru and sorta hung out with Sasuke at age 5.

Yeah, he was socially isolated which, while not physical abuse, is at least emotional abuse that would've turned him out like Gaara eventually if it wasn't for a few people here and there showing they actually cared about him.

But the fanbase likes to overblow things like "He wears orange because the person that sold him his ninja clothes wanted to make his clothing as loud as possible so he'd go out into a war zone and get killed" or "People used to beat the poo poo out of him in the streets and leave him half-dead". As I recall, when I was watching Toonami with this board, it seemed like the anime writers themselves got in on it a bit when you have a filler episode where one of Naruto's classmates sends him into enemy ninja territory for a scavenger hunt under the promise they'll be friends afterwards because he really wants Naruto to get killed. :psyduck:

Rhonne posted:

Man, now I'm hoping that Gentle Criminal comes back and is the one to finally talk some sense into Deku.

:yeah:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

What ninja village is Edgeshot from? Does he have a tailed beast?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Okay but for real, if the traitor doesn’t out themselves at this point I’m gonna assume that plot line was dropped.

Please be Ochako, I want to see people lose their minds

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vengarr posted:

Okay but for real, if the traitor doesn’t out themselves at this point I’m gonna assume that plot line was dropped.

Please be Ochako, I want to see people lose their minds

It's gonna be Sugarman

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's not Tokoyami, but it is Dark Shadow

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Next chapter we find out the entirety of class 1-A, less Deku, were the traitor in conglomerate the entire time and together are one of All For One's assassins.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The entire class is the traitor, but like how Hawks sent that message to Endeavor, only specific words were important and AfO's been trying to figure out the message for the past 200-something chapters and regretting that style of cipher

That's why it took 4 months to get Shiggy ready

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Kaminari is the traitor but doesn't know it. The person who recruited him told him that writing detailed reports about where you're going and what you're doing and everything you know about your classmates is part of the curriculum and he believed them.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Shere posted:

Next chapter we find out the entirety of class 1-A, less Deku, were the traitor in conglomerate the entire time and together are one of All For One's assassins.

christmas boots posted:

Kaminari is the traitor but doesn't know it. The person who recruited him told him that writing detailed reports about where you're going and what you're doing and everything you know about your classmates is part of the curriculum and he believed them.

i'm fine with either one of these explanations

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm still putting my bets on Deku being an unknowing traitor somehow.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Harry Potter horcrux style* "I gave you a quirk and am therefore able to spy on you through it" would be really lame imo.

What wouldn't be as lame is if one of the AfO spirits is the traitor.

*I'm sure there are older/better examples of this but this is just the one that came to mind, please don't make fun of me I have infact read other books.

Also happy page one two three four

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Rhonne posted:

I'm still putting my bets on Deku being an unknowing traitor somehow.

This is kind of where I'm at as far as a serious answer goes though it doesn't quite line up either. It just fits even less with everyone else. Unless there's someone in class 1-A with the quirk that makes everyone forget they're there which would be the lamest explanation and not a fair twist to the reader either.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Harry Potter horcrux style* "I gave you a quirk and am therefore able to spy on you through it" would be really lame imo.

Is this not literally what happened to Nagant?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Much like Horikoshi I have given up on the traitor subplot and y’all should too

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There will be a dumb plot twist that reveals everyone was the traitor.

Or maybe it was just All Might/Deku sending OFA beacons to AFO. :shrug:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheKingofSprings posted:

Much like Horikoshi I have given up on the traitor subplot and y’all should too

There was a whole chapter dedicated to their room setups and the layout of the dorm floor. You know that's some Detective Conan poo poo right there.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The principal is the traitor which is why he sent the kids away while he has their families under lockdown.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The school itself is self-aware and has its own Stand Quirk, given to it by DIO All for One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

'Remember that traitor I told you about? It was me all along!'

*AFO joins the heroes to stop Shigaraki*