Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks for the tips, some of these I was aware of, others not so much.

And... honestly, my gut feeling is that all the stuff that feels oppressive is just a matter of me needing to get good and learn how to deal with them. It is really common when starting to play a new game to feel that way.

Didn't stop me from ordering a ISU-152 after getting hardcore dunked on by a Churchill AVRE's heavy howitzer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Koramei posted:

How do you all go about basing historical minis?
A while back I wrote an article on this very question. Hopefully this helps:

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-base-everything-historicals/

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
British game developers making Britain OP in their game? :wotwot:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
and making the French Real Bad.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Koramei posted:

How do you all go about basing historical minis?

I love the Warlord Games bases with the raised lip - it pairs with the raised stand that the miniature is on and gives you a "moat" to work with around the figure.

I've been basing nearly eveything as forest bases. It's pretty universal, and once you get above a certain altitude a rocky treescape looks the same from Scandinavia to Greece.

I use the following things in order:

Coffee grounds
Sponge flock
Static grass
Mixture of rooibos red tea and parsley

I like mod podge, and allowing some time to dry between stages.

I also try to apply each layer to the edges of the previous layer, so the transitions aren't particularly jarring.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Totes stealing that, I'm repainting/basing a bunch of shittily done minis and that will go well with the dark earth I just put down.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I've recently bought a bunch of Sengoku period samurai stuff, because a) it's been a long time coming and b) I feel it will be easy to convince some friends to at least play a few demo games. Also I'm bad with money.

However, I've managed to mix up the bases and models with other minis I have, so my question is: what is the proper basing size for Test of Honour? I want to be sure both the standalone 'hero' models and the 3/unit group-based models are all done correctly, and are at least vaguely coherent.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
If you want to use the sabots in the toh stuff it's basic 25mm. You remove models so multi-basing might not be ideal, especially if you want to play something else like Ronin.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

moths posted:

I love the Warlord Games bases with the raised lip - it pairs with the raised stand that the miniature is on and gives you a "moat" to work with around the figure.

I've been basing nearly eveything as forest bases. It's pretty universal, and once you get above a certain altitude a rocky treescape looks the same from Scandinavia to Greece.

I use the following things in order:

Coffee grounds
Sponge flock
Static grass
Mixture of rooibos red tea and parsley

I like mod podge, and allowing some time to dry between stages.

I also try to apply each layer to the edges of the previous layer, so the transitions aren't particularly jarring.

coffee grounds are an extremely good idea I might just steal.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

coffee grounds are an extremely good idea I might just steal.

Any specific procedure for making sure they're sterile before you start working with them ?

I've been lazy with bases so far in my painting career, I just paint the base a light brown and then just scoop it through very fine flocking material. it's intended to be as) easy as hell and b) match my GeoGex perfectly so the bases don't stand out at all.

e.

Essex 15mm Renaissance Poles

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 7, 2021

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Moths could probably confirm but if it's like using outdoor sand or twigs just bake it @350 for 10 minutes or so and that should do it.
Plus your house will smell like coffee so an added bonus!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I recycle used grounds that I've allowed to dry on a metal tray in the sun. (Or baked on a heat block at work.) Baking it on a cookie tray should accomplish the same thing faster, but as longs as it's visually dry you should be fine.

It's very porous so the glue essentially fossilizes it to the base. I've never had a problem with it rotting on figures, and the one time I got mold was in an airtight container. (I'd stored it before it had thoroughly dried.)

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Also, it works like those industrial soaps if you've got dirty hands and want a scrub. Lather up your hands and scoop a small bit to get paint and glue off.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

A sizable Bolt Action scene spontaneously generated in my FLGS, so I added some stuff to my long dormant Soviet force which I originally painted for Chain of Command.

I actually managed good eyes??

I realized I have this comrade in both big and smol sizes

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I think he's based off of one of the most famous photos of WW2, you can probably find a figure like that in every scale.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

A sizable Bolt Action scene spontaneously generated in my FLGS, so I added some stuff to my long dormant Soviet force which I originally painted for Chain of Command.

I actually managed good eyes??

Calling those good eyes is a crime
They're goddamn beautiful!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Yeah, those are some amazing eyes.

Those and the forest floor work posted earlier, so many people in this thread are hella talented.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Yeah, those are some amazing eyes.

Those and the forest floor work posted earlier, so many people in this thread are hella talented.

+1, those peepers wouldn't be out of place in Jackson's LoTR trilogy.

I also did the forest floor recipe and it's by far the best basing I've accomplished while simultaneously being of the easiest. The coffee went straight from the fridge to the base, hope it doesn't get gross!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

https://twitter.com/Lord_Denton/status/1414943108425555975

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh God, I watched that unfold in real time this morning.

I did wonder if the OP misrepresented the relative in-game quality of the T-34 and Su85. "This is better but costs fewer points" is a valid concern, but oh it's such a can of worms...

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

moths posted:

Oh God, I watched that unfold in real time this morning.

I did wonder if the OP misrepresented the relative in-game quality of the T-34 and Su85. "This is better but costs fewer points" is a valid concern, but oh it's such a can of worms...

It's definitely a problem in games like Flames of War/Team Yankee where they actively don't price avaliability into the unit pricing. Depending on the meta, you sometimes get weird poo poo like Canadian ADATS getting spammed (Historically, I think they had like 20, total, and they arrived in the 1990s..) because they're just so efficient points-wise, or all of Hungary's Panthers and Panzer IVs showing up on the table at once, because, they're efficient.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's definitely good from a game design perspective to have some mechanism for ensuring a fair game. It might be best to pair points with some kind of "rarity" cap, like how Warmaster does it (with minimums and maximums per thousand points.)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

tomdidiot posted:

It's definitely a problem in games like Flames of War/Team Yankee where they actively don't price avaliability into the unit pricing. Depending on the meta, you sometimes get weird poo poo like Canadian ADATS getting spammed (Historically, I think they had like 20, total, and they arrived in the 1990s..) because they're just so efficient points-wise, or all of Hungary's Panthers and Panzer IVs showing up on the table at once, because, they're efficient.

It's the Tiger problem. It's hard to get around it in a game where nothing that happens outside a few thousand square metres counts.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

moths posted:

It's definitely good from a game design perspective to have some mechanism for ensuring a fair game. It might be best to pair points with some kind of "rarity" cap, like how Warmaster does it (with minimums and maximums per thousand points.)

Yeah, it's not hard to include a rule where a very good unit is limited in quantity. "May take one X per thousand points" isn't too wild.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Yeah, it's not hard to include a rule where a very good unit is limited in quantity. "May take one X per thousand points" isn't too wild.

But it's often not the historical situation though. For example, there were like seven StuGs in the entire North Africa campaign, but those StuGs were in the same place. You'd be more likely to win on the lottery than to see one, but if you were at Bir Hacheim, you'd see three at the same time.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

lilljonas posted:

But it's often not the historical situation though. For example, there were like seven StuGs in the entire North Africa campaign, but those StuGs were in the same place. You'd be more likely to win on the lottery than to see one, but if you were at Bir Hacheim, you'd see three at the same time.

Make it really expensive to take it singly?

In any case, what really baffles me is the fan responses going overwhelmingly "no, this is good, because it's not a competitive game"

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It stems from this really weird notion that "fun" and "balance" are mutually exclusive because balance only matters to "competetive" gamers who are all assholes which play Other Games which we don't want playing Our Game.

Weird historical elitism also plays into it. We don't need points, we are grown up historical players, we play to recreate specific historical battles! Those didnt have points!

The reality is that 95% of games are casual games played to a set point limit that would hugely benefit from good balance, because chill casual games benefit from balance as well.

And honestly, a big factor in this attitude is probably that the majority of people who own these just read the rules and play the game maybe once so balance problems don't become aparrent to them.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 13, 2021

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

There's about half a year between the SU-85 and T-34-85, so some scenarios you can only do with the former, I guess. Wargaming wise it makes sense for the SU-85 to be worth fewer points, unless the authors didn't give a poo poo about any equipment that isn't German and spent about 5 seconds thinking about how to point it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah I mean, if one tank is better than another, solve it by... making it more expensive. Unless the game underneath the hood is badly designed to begin with, that should do.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

It stems from this really weird notion that "fun" and "balance" are mutually exclusive because balance only matters to "competetive" gamers who are all assholes which play Other Games which we don't want playing Our Game.

Weird historical elitism also plays into it. We don't need points, we are grown up historical players, we play to recreate specific historical battles! Those didnt have points!

The reality is that 95% of games are casual games played to a set point limit that would hugely benefit from good balance, because chill casual games benefit from balance as well.

And honestly, a big factor in this attitude is probably that the majority of people who own these just read the rules and play the game maybe once so balance problems don't become aparrent to them.

The whole "just work it out with your opponent who is going to take what" attitude some rulesets have drives me crazy. It makes games with anyone outside your club extremely difficult to coordinate.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

lilljonas posted:

It's the Tiger problem. It's hard to get around it in a game where nothing that happens outside a few thousand square metres counts.

I wonder if the Tigers' big, risky investment could be represented with a chance to break down / run out of fuel or ammo before the game - and then just not show up. It would force the German player to risk playing at a deficit if they want to use their invincible super tank.

You'd essentially have a pre-game attrition roll, maybe with an ongoing opportunity to lose another unit (of the Allied player's choosing) for another roll for a Tiger. It's not the best if you want a specific scenario or using a new model you've just painted. It would open up some balancing options beyond points and caps, though. I think some games already do something like this for unreliable air support.

I don't know what other "liability" forces could be represented by a risk to no-show. Ambushing partisans maybe?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
From what little I know about the historicals community, nerfing a German tank in any way is marketing suicide.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

moths posted:

I don't know what other "liability" forces could be represented by a risk to no-show. Ambushing partisans maybe?
The Blitzkrieg 1940 supplement for Chain of Command has a rule called "Unreliable Allies" that covers this pretty well, and it's not that they're a no-show, but rather that they might just disappear on you during the middle of the game. I use it for one of my Operation Husky scenarios - the main defending force is an Italian infantry platoon, but one of their supports is a German Pz IV that is classed as an "unreliable ally."

Basically, at the end of every Turn, you roll a d6, and on a 3+ you're good - your support unit sticks around. On a 2-, however, their own command structure has given them new orders and they bugger off. And because of how the Phase/Turn mechanics in CoC work out, you have no idea when this is likely to occur. It works out very well.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

The whole "just work it out with your opponent who is going to take what" attitude some rulesets have drives me crazy. It makes games with anyone outside your club extremely difficult to coordinate.

It can even suck with people you know well. I've been playing with the same few people for over a decade now, and each one of us has a wildly different idea of what a "reasonable" army is lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ensign Expendable posted:

From what little I know about the historicals community, nerfing a German tank in any way is marketing suicide.

With how many times people complain about nazis in gaming, I have a feeling a company would do extremely well if it marketed itself as being specifically anti-nazi.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

TFL constantly impresses me with how they manage to seem curmudgeonly grogs while innovating great mechanics and then dropping them into everything.

The latest oddcast actually drove that home with their take on points, which wasn't quite what I expected.

Doesn't Battlegroup have a twofold point values for things? There's a points build and then something else that goes to victory conditions. The idea was that you can use all your models, so even a weird non-combat seabee forklift will add value to your army.

I wonder if the Su85 might have some advantageous within that framework over the T34-85.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Class Warcraft posted:

Bring both sides, let the other person choose.

moths posted:

I don't know what other "liability" forces could be represented by a risk to no-show.
I actually liked how Flames of War handled most scenarios by having most units start in reserve. You could, hypothetically, win or lose the game before your Tiger rolled to show up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

moths posted:

TFL constantly impresses me with how they manage to seem curmudgeonly grogs while innovating great mechanics and then dropping them into everything.

The latest oddcast actually drove that home with their take on points, which wasn't quite what I expected.

Doesn't Battlegroup have a twofold point values for things? There's a points build and then something else that goes to victory conditions. The idea was that you can use all your models, so even a weird non-combat seabee forklift will add value to your army.

I wonder if the Su85 might have some advantageous within that framework over the T34-85.

What is TFL?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Transport For London. With the downturn in travel due to the pandemic they branched out and released Commuter Chaos, a wargame about navigating the post-apocalyptic ruins of London to get to your job in a call centre that nobody ever calls because society has collapsed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Too Fat Lardies, makers of Chain of Command, Sharp Practice, Infamy etc, also publishers for other makers’ rulesets.

They make some of the best game engines, though they often can do with a bit of polishing for things like scenarios (the ”stock” coc scenario is notorious for being the worst scenario to showcase coc as a game).