Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Karma Tornado posted:

lmao if Raylen Givens wins an Emmy for a role where he wore a jetpack

I'm here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'd say they deserve the nominations but other than maybe set/costume design don't deserve to win any.
Hahn deserves to win.

TwoPair posted:

Normally I'm not one to claim awards are rigged but wow. I mean I know it's just a nomination but goddamn what a reach.
I don't think they rig 'em, but they do sometimes hand out nominations just to get the movie stars to show up, and... maybe it's one of those? They just wanted Don Cheadle in the audience?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fake 50s sitcom acting is literally the easiest thing to do.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
If they want Don Cheadle to show up they could give him a nomination for Black Monday, one of the best shows on television.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Boys gets an Emmy nom for best Drama but no nom for Anthony Starr? Robbed!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Cheadle's nomination should've gone to Carl Lumbly.

Lumbly might actually be in it enough for him to be ineligible in that category, but he definitely deserved supporting actor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Fake 50s sitcom acting is literally the easiest thing to do.

Badly? Yes. Well? Nope. Especially if it's not the style of acting you're used to doing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Lumbly might actually be in it enough for him to be ineligible in that category, but he definitely deserved supporting actor.

Ron Cephas Jones has won it twice in the last three years for a show he's been in well over a dozen episodes of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

He has to at least have as much screentime as Cheadle though. And I don't think there's a rule about how much screen time you need to qualify.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Skwirl posted:

He has to at least have as much screentime as Cheadle though. And I don't think there's a rule about how much screen time you need to qualify.

I think the OP was saying that "Guest Star" and "Supporting Star" are a degree of involvement and Lumbly is a "supporting". And I guess I don't really know what the rules are for "guest star."

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

X-O posted:

Ron Cephas Jones has won it twice in the last three years for a show he's been in well over a dozen episodes of.

In 2015, the rule was changed to requiring the actor to appear in fewer than 50% of the episodes of the season. Unfortunately for Lumbly, because of the length of Falcon and Winter Soldier's season (6 episodes) he's appeared in one episode too many for a nom (he was in 3 episodes). However, because Jones is in a show on network TV, the number of episodes he can be in is much, much more. I think This Is Us has like 16 ep seasons meaning he can be in up to 7 episodes before he's ineligible for the same award.

I think it was Peter MacNicol who got super screwed one year because he showed up for like half a second in an episode of Veep that pushed him over the 50% number and it was only realized after he was nominated and they had to rescind the nomination.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 14, 2021

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Peter MacNicol once got nominated for Guest Actor and then unnominated because he wound up in five episodes of Veep instead of four and the season was ten episodes long, I think the year after they made that change

edit: well, hell

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Badly? Yes. Well? Nope. Especially if it's not the style of acting you're used to doing.

Yeah and Kathryn Hahn is very used to it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Loki, Episode Six: Well, there he is.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shirkelton posted:

Loki, Episode Six: Well, there he is.

I, for one, am shocked. No one could have seen this turn of events coming. Certainly not anyone who watched the initial trailer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A bit disappointed. I didn't really like Kang (though the next version we see will presumably be quite different) and I would have preferred it to be a finale for S1 of Loki than a setup for the next few years of movies.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A bit disappointed. I didn't really like Kang (though the next version we see will presumably be quite different) and I would have preferred it to be a finale for S1 of Loki than a setup for the next few years of movies.

I mean...at the end of the credits it says "Loki will return in Season 2!", so who knows.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I thought it felt compelling? I don't know, I'm the first person to criticise the ad-based nature of Marvel's storytelling, but I thought this felt genuine, it's Loki coming face to face with the nature of why his life is so miserable and broken.

It's a little like Prometheus in a way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So first things first, impressions

Sylvie lives!

we're getting a second season!

eccentric Kang wasn't what i was expecting but i guess you'd be a little off your rocker after thousands or millions of years secluded in an empty castle

One thing i couldn't help but think about though is that in phase 1 through 3 things very gradually built up to infinity war. Like, there would be teases of Thanos but he never really overshadowed anything that was occurring in the films. But with the Kang and multiversal war reveal here, and multiverse of madness and quantumania already coming up, it just kinda makes last week's black widow teaser and whatever contessa has planned with the dark avengers/Thunderbolts feel hilariously low stakes. There's an infinity of Kangs about to invade Earth but oh no Jeremy Renner is gonna get beat up?? Which, I guess isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just that the juxtaposition feel weird

site fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 14, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I did enjoy the episode it created a few interesting threads (no pun intended).

Looked like Jonathan Majors was having fun with the role which is what you want from your actors, I think anyway. Mobius and the TVA being "reset" was a good development. Renslayer off to discover who knows what. Sylvie still being alive but not quite as passed her past as our Loki seems to be.

After a threat as big as Thanos it can be hard to build up the new big bad but having Kang be someone so powerful that after seeing Thanos get the infinity stones he can just go is a good start.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

site posted:

So first things first, impressions

Sylvie lives!

we're getting a second season!

eccentric Kang wasn't what i was expecting but i guess you'd be a little off your rocker after thousands or millions of years secluded in an empty castle

One thing i couldn't help but think about though is that in phase 1 through 3 things very gradually built up to infinity war. Like, there would be teases of Thanos but he never really overshadowed anything that was occurring in the films. But with the Kang and multiversal war reveal here, and multiverse of madness and quantumania already coming up, it just kinda makes last week's black widow teaser and whatever contessa has planned with the dark avengers/Thunderbolts feel hilariously low stakes. There's an infinity of Kangs about to invade Earth but oh no Jeremy Renner is gonna get beat up?? Which, I guess isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just that the juxtaposition feel weird

I think that's probably because Black Widow aired out of order. It was supposed to be out before Loki after all. Hell, it was supposed to air before Falcon and the Winter Soldier so that Valentina's reveal in F&tWS would have been a little more impactful since people would already have seen her first at the end of Widow. Still, it's going to be interesting if they'll be able to keep things like Hawkeye, Secret Invasion, and the like feeling important when yeah, there's multi-verse shaking stuff happening in Dr. Strange 2, Ant-Man 3, and probably Spider-Man 3. To say nothing of whatever's going to happen in Loki season 2....

As far as the episode itself, I liked it. There was something tragic in the fact that out of all the Lokis we meet, only two...Classic Loki and the show's Loki were able to grow beyond their "programming" as it were. Even Sylvie wasn't able to look past her own rage and need for revenge in the end. And with Classic Loki dead (probably....though faking his own death better than anyone WAS Classic Loki's big trick....) that leaves "our" Loki the only one standing. I've got no idea where the show goes for a second season, but drat do I want to find out!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

jng2058 posted:

that leaves "our" Loki the only one standing.

Kid Loki and Alligator Loki are still out there somewhere as well.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Klungar posted:

Kid Loki and Alligator Loki are still out there somewhere as well.

honestly All Lokis are out there somewhere now. No limit to variation anymore

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Loki finale was fun but not great, even by MCU standards it really felt like it was prioritizing setting up future projects over telling its own story

even for a Marvel villain, Jonathan Majors was hamming it up too drat much imo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

jng2058 posted:

I think that's probably because Black Widow aired out of order. It was supposed to be out before Loki after all. Hell, it was supposed to air before Falcon and the Winter Soldier so that Valentina's reveal in F&tWS would have been a little more impactful since people would already have seen her first at the end of Widow. Still, it's going to be interesting if they'll be able to keep things like Hawkeye, Secret Invasion, and the like feeling important when yeah, there's multi-verse shaking stuff happening in Dr. Strange 2, Ant-Man 3, and probably Spider-Man 3. To say nothing of whatever's going to happen in Loki season 2....

As far as the episode itself, I liked it. There was something tragic in the fact that out of all the Lokis we meet, only two...Classic Loki and the show's Loki were able to grow beyond their "programming" as it were. Even Sylvie wasn't able to look past her own rage and need for revenge in the end. And with Classic Loki dead (probably....though faking his own death better than anyone WAS Classic Loki's big trick....) that leaves "our" Loki the only one standing. I've got no idea where the show goes for a second season, but drat do I want to find out!

I think there's purposely a lot of threads in Phase 4 vs the singular Infinity Saga of the past. There's Contessa and what looks like Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts. Theres the emerging of Young Avengers. There's Same and the next generation of Nw Avengers. There's all the multiverse shenanigans. There's Nick Fury and the Skrulls and the Secret Invasion. There's apparently "Armor Wars" coming. It feels like a big a looser, bigger comic continuity with a lot of stories instead of just the on singular focus. And I think there's room for that, its just gonna take some adjusting from th audience and COVID messed up Marvel's planned order for it to get revealed.

But I do think Kang and the multiverse is probably the big main one and not only is it gonna be the focus of Quantumania, Spidey, and Strange but I could see it being the reason the Fantastic Four are introduced so Reed can try and big brain the problem of his distant relative.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Definitely more "Watch our next phase of movies" than a finale to Loki, but also that's exactly what I wanted.

Majors getting to play a fun version before his probably super serious bad guy is nice. You actually get Kang that way instead of having to "protect" him for a movie debut, while also still doing that.

No jet ski though? Come on.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Aphrodite posted:

Majors getting to play a fun version before his probably super serious bad guy is nice. You actually get Kang that way instead of having to "protect" him for a movie debut, while also still doing that.

Yeah, this isn’t how I’d expect Kang to be portrayed in the future, but an excessively hammy portrayal so that we really understand the difference between the Kangriants as they are introduced. It’s like if we got introduced to Alligator Loki before “our” Loki.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Klungar posted:

Yeah, this isn’t how I’d expect Kang to be portrayed in the future, but an excessively hammy portrayal so that we really understand the difference between the Kangriants as they are introduced. It’s like if we got introduced to Alligator Loki before “our” Loki.

I thought it made sense for a guy that's just a normal, albeit intelligent, human that's been sitting alone at the end of time for millions of years. He's just flat out bonkers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

STAC Goat posted:

It feels like a looser, bigger comic continuity with a lot of stories instead of just the on singular focus.

This seems like a good way to look at it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

I thought it made sense for a guy that's just a normal, albeit intelligent, human that's been sitting alone at the end of time for millions of years. He's just flat out bonkers.

It does feel like the truth isn't so outlandish that the TVA needs to be fed the whole Timekeeper story though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It does feel like the truth isn't so outlandish that the TVA needs to be fed the whole Timekeeper story though.

I personally think it's easier to believe that you have been given a purpose by the divine timeline gods rather than one dude just saying "yeah I'm just a smart human from the 31st century but I destroy everything so I'm going to control all time forever." It just feels easier to accept if there's something outside of your comprehension guiding you. You put He Who Remains story there and people's instinctive reaction is Sylvie's - you just want to control everything.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mikeraskol posted:

I personally think it's easier to believe that you have been given a purpose by the divine timeline gods rather than one dude just saying "yeah I'm just a smart human from the 31st century but I destroy everything so I'm going to control all time forever." It just feels easier to accept if there's something outside of your comprehension guiding you. You put He Who Remains story there and people's instinctive reaction is Sylvie's - you just want to control everything.

There's a conversation about this between Mobius and Loki and the absurdity of the 'origin' story. The more absurd the easier to swallow.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I thought Majors was delightful here and really liked this portrayal a lot. I also appreciated a non-CGI fight fest ending. And with Kang, I feel like I was nodding my head with him at first. But then it's like wait a second - you're just the Kang that won. You won the multiversal war so hard that you wiped out every other timeline/branch, your solution was to basically kill everyone so that they couldn't fight. He's actually the worst of them, despite what he says.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

I thought Majors was delightful here and really liked this portrayal a lot. I also appreciated a non-CGI fight fest ending. And with Kang, I feel like I was nodding my head with him at first. But then it's like wait a second - you're just the Kang that won. You won the multiversal war so hard that you wiped out every other timeline/branch, your solution was to basically kill everyone so that they couldn't fight. He's actually the worst of them, despite what he says.

Doubting his story seems pretty intentional.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Doubting his story seems pretty intentional.

Oh I know I'm saying Majors had me buying it for a bit there.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

mikeraskol posted:

It's just an Order vs Chaos thing, there's more order when only one timeline to keep track of as opposed to almost infinite of them, who at any time can totally just gently caress things up.

Which gets confusing when there's a planet full of Loki clones out there already, meaning those timeline wipes had to have been fairly recent, doesn't it? Like, back before Kang merged them all?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

mikeraskol posted:

I just remembered the whacked out time janitor guy from the X-Men cartoon. And in a big reveal that went absolutely nowhere the janitor ended up being Immortus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
<ACHEM>

That wasn't Kang you boobs. Look at the costume. That was Immortus.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

<ACHEM>

You try having that conversation with the non-readers that can't even grasp the simple concepts of timeline fuckery yet. We have to ease them into multiversal upheaval. Like I said in the TVIV thread once you've been through 10 or so of these its easier to quickly grasp the concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

<ACHEM>

Then I guess my post makes even more sense.