Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Did he have this political viewpoint already before he had his own business and presumably staff he had to ensure he was in compliance with or did this opinion spontaneously form the second he started perceiving it as costing him money?

I didn't know him prior, and the closest to a straight answer I can get on that is "my worldview matured over the years".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's the Greg Abbott story. Some negligent property owner's tree falls over in a rainstorm and crushes Abbott's back, he sues for a huge settlement that makes him a millionaire, and now that he's the rich guy with rich guy friends with something to lose he lobbies for tort reform laws that make so someone in his circumstances today would get hosed.

Became state AG then governor and had wheelchair ramps installed in his offices at public expense yet fights in court to avoid providing public accommodations to other disabled people because it would cost the state money.

Anyway if you want to piss off your friend tell him he should pay his old boss back his OSHA settlement with interest because it was wrong of him to use an immoral law to shake down his former employer for wisely disregarding employee health and safety to save a little money for the business

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't really understand, especially the part where just having the right doesn't mean you have to.

If you're a woman who thinks she needs to be subservient to her man and not be an actual person with opinions or anything, like the Bible intended, then just don't vote or otherwise vote however the husband says to or whatever. It's loving weird.

Were there black people going "nah. Probably best to leave all that votin' stuff for the plantation owners" and poo poo?

There's always been the "pick me!" types, partly because people aren't a monolith and partly there will always be people who care more about attention and personal benefits over solidarity. It's how you get people like Diamond and Silk, Candace Owens, etc.

Brawnfire posted:

You know, somehow all that city building and culture construction feels pretty distant when the drive belt is pulling the flesh off my hand bones
Getting degloved to own the libs

VitalSigns posted:

It's the Greg Abbott story. Some negligent property owner's tree falls over in a rainstorm and crushes Abbott's back, he sues for a huge settlement that makes him a millionaire, and now that he's the rich guy with rich guy friends with something to lose he lobbies for tort reform laws that make so someone in his circumstances today would get hosed.

Became state AG then governor and had wheelchair ramps installed in his offices at public expense yet fights in court to avoid providing public accommodations to other disabled people because it would cost the state money.

Anyway if you want to piss off your friend tell him he should pay his old boss back his OSHA settlement with interest because it was wrong of him to use an immoral law to shake down his former employer for wisely disregarding employee health and safety to save a little money for the business

Or Mitch McConnell, polio baby against healthcare.

Or Craig T. Nelson, who never got any help when he was on food stamps (so why should anyone else get food stamps)

Or every rich person and corporation against government handouts (to anyone not a rich person or giant corporation)

gently caress You; Got Mine: the philosophy!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It works for me because I'm done caring!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DarkHorse posted:

There's always been the "pick me!" types, partly because people aren't a monolith and partly there will always be people who care more about attention and personal benefits over solidarity. It's how you get people like Diamond and Silk, Candace Owens, etc.

Getting degloved to own the libs

Or Mitch McConnell, polio baby against healthcare.

Or Craig T. Nelson, who never got any help when he was on food stamps (so why should anyone else get food stamps)

Or every rich person and corporation against government handouts (to anyone not a rich person or giant corporation)

gently caress You; Got Mine: the philosophy!

are food stamps not help?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Chuds are always able to find it in their hearts to make exceptions/find the necessary cognitive dissonance for themselves or people they like.

It's only abusing the system when other people do it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's why Nelson got roundly mocked for saying it, yes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My mom believes food assistance should be a block of cheese like when she got it

Anything more, like, modern and intelligent like giving people money is bad though

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Brawnfire posted:

My mom believes food assistance should be a block of cheese like when she got it

Anything more, like, modern and intelligent like giving people money is bad though

Remember being on government assistance is a bad thing and people need to be shamed as much as possible so they stop getting government assistance and get a job at McDonald's

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Medullah posted:

Remember being on government assistance is a bad thing and people need to be shamed as much as possible so they stop getting government assistance and get a job at McDonald's

where will the 15yo work then?? :(

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

where will the 15yo work then?? :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J1Yz_RNzJ4&t=29s

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Medullah posted:

You know a system works good when someone gets a job and is still on food assistance because the job pays nothing, so they still pay negative taxes but they are making profits for a private corporation

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Even those people still want black people to have civil rights, they just do the Rush Limbaugh grift of getting paid to tell middle class and working class people that akshually government is holding you back and you should vote for the interests of the 1% because they create your jobs etc

Rush Limbaugh doesn't tell his listeners "hey you shouldn't even be allowed to vote, let millionaires handle that for you" either because that would give the game away.

No matter how rich or how bought they are, people like Ben Carson and Candace Owens know they still aren't really in the club and if voting rights and desegregation were repealed their wealth wouldn't protect them from a Jim Crow government. Just from a practical standpoint, if black people couldn't vote and whites were proud of being racist again, why would elites need to keep funding Diamond and Silk? Their two roles are convincing black people to vote against themselves and reassuring white racists that they aren't being racist, no need for that if Jim Crow is back.

I think anti-suffragette stuff is different because due to family connections some wealthy women really will have shared economic interests with wealthy men that override their interest in their own personal civil rights. Women can't really be redlined or herded into ghettos, their sons aren't going to be discriminated against because their mother was a women etc. If a woman is the wife or daughter of a wealthy industrialist she's not threatened by reactionary politics the way poor women or all black people are (she can still get an abortion even if they're illegal, she doesn't need a job, if she's bored and wants one anyway she can get on a charity board or have an exception made for her and get a sinecure from a relative etc), but poor women voting are a direct threat to her economic interests.

Not all rich women, there's plenty of rich women who still want careers in their own right, just saying that because of the unique dynamics it's 'rational' for some women to be anti-suffragette (if she's an rear end in a top hat), whereas it's pretty much never going to be rational for a black person to support legalized discrimination since there's no chance of them gaining more than they lose.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Conservatism, at least in my family, always comes down to "the wrong people [browner than me] will get help".

Being well-off isn't good enough for them. They have to see people suffer.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Islamic Shock posted:

Conservatism, at least in my family, always comes down to "the wrong people [browner than me] will get help".

Yep. Queue up that quote about how a conservative will gladly live in a box under a bridge roasting pigeons on a rusty piece of rebar as long as they're promised that the black guy next door doesn't even get the rebar.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If he's not gonna work he shouldn't get hot pigeon!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Devorum posted:

I didn't know him prior, and the closest to a straight answer I can get on that is "my worldview matured over the years".

So, "After I got MY money and benefited from regulation" then

Checks out.

Just gonna grab this ladder here and pull it up....

cut the tines on this safety net here...

Aaannnnnddd...we're good.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well, they help you buy a lot of steak and lobster. Or so I've been told.

VitalSigns posted:

Rush Limbaugh doesn't tell his listeners....

Anything at all anymore.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 14, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

lmao i just remembered rush is dead (didn't cross my mind the first time I read the reference to him)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Asbestos is the best fire safety material we have. Miners were just whiners.

I should be able to smoke indoors all I want. Don't like it, work elsewhere.

Least tragic lung death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TxzJ8EGDPQ

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Islamic Shock posted:

I do think a class lens is vital here too. They still dont want poor whites getting it either.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

CuddleCryptid posted:

You know a system works good when someone gets a job and is still on food assistance because the job pays nothing, so they still pay negative taxes but they are making profits for a private corporation

Also rocks when you do get a job and wind up making less money because you lose your benefits

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

But at least you aren't sitting on your rear end at home constantly calling and attempting to arrange interviews

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Almost like the vaccine cards are provided for free!

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Joke's on them. America actually is a ground war. Have they not seen how armed we are and the rate at which we're killing each other?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

tek79 posted:

Joke's on them. America actually is a ground war. Have they not seen how armed we are and the rate at which we're killing each other?

Obviously that's just gangbangers, lone wolves, false flags, Antifa, and MS-13, all of which are isolated incidents until I need them to be mass anarchy in order to support my next incompatible position.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

We basically HAVE voter ID cards already. They're called voter registration cards and you have to prove who you are, where you live and sign the fucker at the Supervisor of Elections office. I've never once been asked to provide mine and stopped pulling it out a long time ago since the poll workers didn't need/want it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

tek79 posted:

Not to mention places like Hungary in 1848 were armed to the teeth enough to do an (actual) well-organized militia and didn't save them from getting utterly stomped as soon as the army of Russia glanced at the Habsburgs and decided "eh, better than these revolutionaries." And the Tsar did not have an air force.

New national holiday: we all go to the beach and praise Poseidon that the Atlantic and Pacific have saved us from ground war not started by traitorous slavers

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 15, 2021

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Found this poo poo making the rounds on some family's facebooks.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

A few months ago, the novelization of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was making the rounds on Twitter. The ending had Brad Pitt's character think that, if the US were invaded, despite having a ton of guns, most Americans would call the cops for help. Then, after realizing help wasn't coming, fall in line like the bitch made people we are.

This made me think of that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so whose gonna be the invading force in the tyool 2021?

also never mind that 2020 stay at home orders pretty please suggestions was the perfect opportunity for these ssj god spec ops death warriors to prove their homestead skilks were the real deal.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

That doesn't scan

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

We turned tens of thousands of Japanese children that were at least as cute as this one, if not more, into radioactive vapor, and we've been talking about how awesome it was to do that for decades and decades.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Lysandus posted:

Found this poo poo making the rounds on some family's facebooks.

Uhg I thought I was in the meme thread. Was about to yikes

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
gotta pretend these people wouldn't have voted for the camps adorable little girls like this were forced into after pearl harbor.

edit: someone edit me together a "she owes us an apology for the alamo" meme.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Maybe if white people stopped attaching themselves to a nation-state granting reparations to an historically wronged segment of its populace, they wouldn't feel so affronted by it

Redressing a wrong done by America isn't an apology by white folks for anything by any metric

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

This absurd notion always frustrates me. The US wasn't invaded in recent history the same reason Canada hasn't: its loving huge and most of it is open space. The logistics and time it would take to occupy the US would frankly be impossible for most nations to attempt.

Its the same reason Russia hasnt been successfully occupied in a land war. The only reason people TRIED with Russia is there wasnt an ocean blocking the way.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I'm honestly surprised we haven't found out that that little girl is like, ethnically Korean or Chinese or Vietnamese or something yet. Bonus points if she turns out to be ethnically Ainu or Ryukyuan.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

so whose gonna be the invading force in the tyool 2021?

I don't know but it's not going to be a conventional force I don't think. All the guns in the world aren't going to stop cyber attacks that cripple banks and knock out huge swaths of infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

RagnarokAngel posted:

This absurd notion always frustrates me. The US wasn't invaded in recent history the same reason Canada hasn't: its loving huge and most of it is open space. The logistics and time it would take to occupy the US would frankly be impossible for most nations to attempt.

Its the same reason Russia hasnt been successfully occupied in a land war. The only reason people TRIED with Russia is there wasnt an ocean blocking the way.

It's also because we have 2 massive oceans on either side of us. Getting an invading force here would be a nightmare.