Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
In my head, all the Txleui all look like the Leprechaun villain from the 1990s horror series "Leprechaun"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Living with my own private Idaho

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Worms, why did it have to be worms -Idaho

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

If I were Atreides,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were atreides man.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/dunemovie/status/1414962951891587089

Some new shots here

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

this movie's gonna fuckin rule

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Deeyuunne

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
moo add deebuh

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
mmmshai hooloo duh

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

moo add deebuh

Lynch Dune Stilgar Best Dune Stilgar

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
"Stilgar, do we have wormsign?"

"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even GAAHHD has never seen!"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Stilgar coming home drunk on spice beer to find Harah over the (second) moon because of her new cotton ball drape runners

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I was watching LobosJr stream yesterday and he said the same guys who made Conan Exiles are working on a Dune survival game. :eyepop: if so

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

ugh are they really gonna make the Baron fly again

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fly, fatass fly

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SubponticatePoster posted:

I was watching LobosJr stream yesterday and he said the same guys who made Conan Exiles are working on a Dune survival game. :eyepop: if so

Are you part of a sietch?

Y - You survive

N - Are you the Kwisatz Haderach?

Y - You survive

N - You die

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
in Dune: Survivor you can run around with your hog out like in Conan but you die of dehydration within minutes.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's why fremen put the juice of desert berries on their cocks, to prevent moisture loss

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

FBS posted:

ugh are they really gonna make the Baron fly again

It’s canon and it’s awesome. They’re going to have sand worms too.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Can't wait for eventual Dune on Ice: the musical

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I've read Dune a lot of times but I've never read the part where Baron Harkonnen flies around the room like Charlie Bucket :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FBS posted:

I've read Dune a lot of times but I've never read the part where Baron Harkonnen flies around the room like Charlie Bucket :colbert:

Those filament paper pages are so thin, you maybe missed one and don't even realize it

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

FBS posted:

It’s consistent with the book and it looks cool, not sure what the issue is

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the Baron is so fat he has to have antigravity thingees rigged up so he can walk. why not overclock those babies and fly around.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

SUSPENSORS, it said on the next door.

“Oh, those are fabulous!” cried Mr Harkonnen. “They fit you with suspensors, and the suspensors are full of a special kind of science, and this science is so terrifically lifting that it lifts you right off the ground just like a balloon, and up you go until your head hits the ceiling – and there you stay.”

“But how do you come down again?” asked little Feyd.

“You have a meal, of course,” said Mr Harkonnen. “You have a great big long rude meal, and up comes your weight and down comes you! But don’t try them outdoors! There’s no knowing how high up you’ll be carried if you do that. I gave some to an old Mentat once out in the back yard and he went up and up and disappeared out of sight! It was very sad. I never saw him again.”

“He should have eaten,” Feyd said.

“Of course he should have eaten,” said Mr Harkonnen. “I stood there shouting ‘Eat, you silly rear end, eat, or you’ll never come down again!’ But he didn’t or couldn’t or wouldn’t, I don’t know which. Maybe he was too frightened, like a rabbit. He must be on the moon by now.”

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was never sure if he actually needed them or if he was just a fancy man about town who liked to have a spring in his step.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The exaggerated swagger of a four hundred pound space Finn

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The book gives his weight at "two hundred standard kilos" which is ~440 lbs. The suspensors make it so he only carries 50 kilos himself - the weight of a somewhat small and thin man.

He'd still have the inertia of a chungus though, and like astronauts on the Moon, he should sort of glide around in slow motion, being careful not to get going too fast. It doesn't look like it's the case in that clip but I was thinking a potentially cool way to reveal the susupensors would be for him to make some angry gesture (maybe stand up quickly?) and since he weighs so little have the action propel him up off the ground and in to a super slow descent. That'd be menacing and creepy instead of goofy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The Baron is probably meant to be goofy, he's basically the primary comic relief of the first book.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FBS posted:

“Oh, those are fabulous!” cried Mr Harkonnen. “They fit you with suspensors, and the suspensors are full of a special kind of science, and this science is so terrifically lifting that it lifts you right off the ground just like a balloon, and up you go until your head hits the ceiling – and there you stay.”

“You have a meal, of course,” said Mr Harkonnen. “You have a great big long rude meal, and up comes your weight and down comes you! But don’t try them outdoors! There’s no knowing how high up you’ll be carried if you do that. I gave some to an old Mentat once out in the back yard and he went up and up and disappeared out of sight! It was very sad. I never saw him again.”

“Of course he should have eaten,” said Mr Harkonnen. “I stood there shouting ‘Eat, you silly rear end, eat, or you’ll never come down again!’ But he didn’t or couldn’t or wouldn’t, I don’t know which. Maybe he was too frightened, like a rabbit. He must be on the moon by now.”

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

FBS posted:

I’m sorry the movie isn’t going to be based on some other book, that’s going to suck for you :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Baron is probably meant to be goofy, he's basically the primary comic relief of the first book.

I.......uh, have never gotten that impression

Edit: lol I'm bouncing between threads too fast, that didn't read like a joke at first

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No I think it's serious, and I agree. The Baron is a great comic relief villain because he's constantly making his own life harder through his absurd levels of treachery and paranoia. Obviously he's doing insanely evil stuff but it's fun to watch him constantly having meltdowns at his henchmen and stuff, and then he gets taken out by a literal toddler lmao

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I don't know if it's exactly comedic, but there's definitely a cartoonish quality to his over-the-top villainy that makes him hard to take completely seriously. I know the book says he intentionally cultivates that image to some degree to put people off their guard, but the entire planet is just "ludicrously evil world".

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Man idk yeah there's a level of over-the-top absurdity, but straight up comic relief, ehhhhhhh I'm not sure about that one

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I don't know if it's exactly comedic, but there's definitely a cartoonish quality to his over-the-top villainy that makes him hard to take completely seriously. I know the book says he intentionally cultivates that image to some degree to put people off their guard, but the entire planet is just "ludicrously evil world".

Yeah, he's possibly the weakest villain in the series. Just unfathomable and unapproachable, ludicrously over the top. He might be the weakest part of the book; Feyd and Piter both feel more menacing. (Although the narration constantly describing Piter as "mincing" and "effeminate" is up there. Herbert's gender essentialism could get uncomfortable.) I feel like he was better when he was more subdued, like the scene where he's talking with the Fenrings.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Japanese teaser trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbvbsX1c7_0
No new content (except maybe some extra frames of scenes we've seen), but a quicker edit and it's always cool to see a slightly de-familiarized take. Looks like they get it a week before the US.

I don't think we've seen any of the ornis flying before? I like the dragonfly design.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah, he's possibly the weakest villain in the series.

There aren’t really any villains in the strict sense in Messiah, Children, or GEoD. Like, the conspirators in Messiah are in a narrative sense the bad guys, but when you realize what the effect of the Jihad was, suddenly you realize they are in the right.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Embrace the flying floating baron

It's such an obvious punch-up when adapting the book that they do it every time. It's cool

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Photo of actual movie producer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's cool in the Meet the Fenrings scene how the Baron owns an entire planet, but still cheaps out on architecture by using perspective tricks to make buildings look a bit bigger.