Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

shame on an IGA posted:

haha did you already have that redtext or did your post already cause someone :10bux: of misunderstanding in the last 15 minutes

I've had it for ages from, you guessed it, having had this exact conversation. Two years now at least. At the time I was having this argument in D&D, totally unaware that Jose was handing out probes over here in C-SPAM for pro-Malthus positions. Very funny

The red text is more explicitly about the "feminism and healthcare" (or "family planning") of the BMGF in Africa, MENA, and Southwest Asia where they were busying themselves sterilizing the local populations. Whoever bought it was careful to use that phrasing over population control which was the correct phrase but unfortunately (for them) also has the (correct) negative association. To be clear we should refer to it as population control as its proponents are very keen on limiting these programs to "undesirable" populations - see Bill Gates' quote on the population of Yemen, e.g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I've had it for ages from, you guessed it, having had this exact conversation. Two years now at least. At the time I was having this argument in D&D, totally unaware that Jose was handing out probes over here in C-SPAM for pro-Malthus positions. Very funny

jose has never been a mod of cspam

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
That's how I remember it king. That's not on me, that's not my fault

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Surely there has to be another solution to "at current levels of resource use we can only sustain this level of agricultural production for a few more decades at most" besides trying to kill as many brown people as possible and prevent them from reproducing further
like stopping the thing where we massively overproduce food and throw a quarter of it in the garbage, or using less fossil fuel generally, or trying not to convert all the earth's biomass into cows, etc but I guess that's not the system we live in

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

like stopping the thing where we massively overproduce food and throw a quarter of it in the garbage, or using less fossil fuel generally, or trying not to convert all the earth's biomass into cows, etc but I guess that's not the system we live in

Those things would all mildly inconvenience some trillionaire, so no.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

NYC has been hell this summer, there’s supposed to be a month of this, tops, in august

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Surely there has to be another solution to "at current levels of resource use we can only sustain this level of agricultural production for a few more decades at most" besides trying to kill as many brown people as possible and prevent them from reproducing further

I mean yeah. The basics of 'we don't have limitless resources' and 'don't relay on science to magic up more', is all pretty solid, it's just everything after that where it gets really iffy. The world has well enough food for the population at the moment and there are plenty of people around the world not getting nearly enough. Proper resource distribution and looking at ways to limit excessive resource use and should be fundamental to any plan on how to tackle issues around upcomming climate change related food/water issues.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The red text is more explicitly about the "feminism and healthcare" (or "family planning") of the BMGF in Africa, MENA, and Southwest Asia where they were busying themselves sterilizing the local populations. Whoever bought it was careful to use that phrasing over population control which was the correct phrase but unfortunately (for them) also has the (correct) negative association. To be clear we should refer to it as population control as its proponents are very keen on limiting these programs to "undesirable" populations - see Bill Gates' quote on the population of Yemen, e.g.

If it's any consolation, I found your perspective valuable. Reading the OP I felt, yes, obviously contraception and reproductive rights are part of the solution. But your framing is even stronger. In the US access to these rights is largely moderated by money. Solve the money problem and the access problem disappears. I would feel comfortable saying that if you can bring economic justice to areas which presently lack women's rights, they will follow not long after the money.

This is the actual solution to the malthusian dilemma. But we're just going to kill the global poor, and then ourselves, because lol of course we are.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So, like a liberal, Engels rejects Malthusianism due to its implications offending him, and does not provide a scientific basis for how infinite growth on a finite planet is possible. Got it

Nature cares not for class struggle, sadly

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

OK baizuo posted:

So, like a liberal, Engels rejects Malthusianism due to its implications offending him, and does not provide a scientific basis for how infinite growth on a finite planet is possible. Got it

Nature cares not for class struggle, sadly

Engels is not required to provide a scientific basis for how infinite growth is possible because he has already provided a scientific basis for how the "need" for infinite growth is obviated by a significantly more equitable and rational system. Therefore, having done away with an economic motivation for infinite growth, we can busy ourselves with the growth of population. And there, again, population does not grow infinitely (per se) and it is uncontroversially married to equality or its lack.

TehSaurus posted:

If it's any consolation, I found your perspective valuable. Reading the OP I felt, yes, obviously contraception and reproductive rights are part of the solution. But your framing is even stronger. In the US access to these rights is largely moderated by money. Solve the money problem and the access problem disappears. I would feel comfortable saying that if you can bring economic justice to areas which presently lack women's rights, they will follow not long after the money.

This is the actual solution to the malthusian dilemma. But we're just going to kill the global poor, and then ourselves, because lol of course we are.

Cheers, thanks. And you got it right. If a resource issue does exist for whatever reason you need to resolve the contradictions inherent to capitalism which themselves give rise to, or are otherwise most responsible for, issues of both resource distribution and population growth THEN you can start talking about rationing or lifestyle changes or whatever such thing.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Engels is not required to provide a scientific basis for how infinite growth is possible because he has already provided a scientific basis for how the "need" for infinite growth is obviated by a significantly more equitable and rational system. Therefore, having done away with an economic motivation for infinite growth, we can busy ourselves with the growth of population. And there, again, population does not grow infinitely (per se) and it is uncontroversially married to equality or its lack.
It's a good thing that scenario panned put before capitalism started to destroy the planetary biosphere and the ability of the Earth to support industrialized civilization or we might really have been in some trouble!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
"Scenario panned out"? What are you talking about? The sarcasm is not missed on me but nothing of what you said changes the actual solution to overly-high birthrates. What difference does it make that communism hasn't been globally achieved? You will still fail to remediate the problem if you do not also (or just) make that society equitable (or more equitable, even). You can still overthrow capitalism today.*

*as it happens this conversation is pretty loving moot but I like to engage for the intellectual stimulation plus they don't let me play Rocket League at work so this is what I've got going on here. So you can overthrow capitalism and it will cause birthrates to decline but it doesn't matter, we're all super dead anyway, and resource allocation and birthrates don't actually matter for the same reason

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The scenario being communism's inevitable triumph, and the creation of material conditions that would absolve Engels of having to scientifically explain how infinite growth is possible on a finite world.

Oops turns out capitalism is just going to wreck the planet first, that circumstance and the failure of Marx and Engels to predict it is their greatest shortcoming. Can't really blame them with the level of tech at the time they lived, tho.

I'm mostly just frustrated and shouting into the dark honestly

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
No I do understand what you meant, to be clear. I'm just saying that communism's triumph (which to Marx and Engels was inevitable mind you (absolutely not their fault that they didn't account for fascist victory which leads to barbarism OR for the planet to just die altogether from run-of-the-mill capitalist-barbarism)) or lack thereof is really immaterial. You can still create a communist state today and achieve the same within those borders.

Listen king you go right on shouting. I support you. I understand the frustration. If it stresses you out too much though please I beg you to figure that out :( It's still possible

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
How bout this weather

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it's loving hot

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ok how did that double post

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Yeah I've spent way too much time indoors this year but between the insane mugginess, the near constant rains, and the unbearable heat it does seem the sensible thing. It's a shame really. Only upside here is if these TS keep making it all the way up here I can hit some totally sick swell way ahead of our usual surf season (October).

It makes me sad because I used to hike like a solid 20+ miles every week over the summer, but it was tolerable because the hiking trails up here are pretty universally forested so they're not too bad in the heat. That goes right out the loving window when it's non-stop humidity, though. Hiking through a sticky, hot forest surrounded by mosquitoes just sucks and I might as well just walk on a treadmill instead.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

gas up the chainsaws

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm tired of the weather.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

is that why the nws is actually hiring?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it would be really nice if the NWS actually had funding to make easy to read maps and make their data publicly available in a format that wasn't deliberately obfuscated because some rich sociopath tech billionaire wanted more people to be forced to download his lovely app

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just keep the 7 day forecast, hourly and the radar for my zip code open in my browser all the time and just hit refresh whenever I open the tab. Doesn't give you alerts but will give you everything that the apps scrape and is free.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

VectorSigma posted:

gas up the chainsaws

that legend just looks like random letters

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

VectorSigma posted:

gas up the chainsaws

This a map for murlocs based on the legend

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

that legend just looks like random letters

I'm glad it's only going to be MRGL tomorrow and not SLGT

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Engels posted:

...The implications of this line of thought are that since it is precisely the poor who are the surplus...

Is he like three paragraphs deep in capital-brained hypotheticals/odd usage of "implication" here or was Engels a secret lib? This is the core confusion that always hosed up the conversation when it brushed against D&D so I was pretty surprised to see it in this context but I have never actually read any Engels so I dunno.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

VectorSigma posted:

gas up the chainsaws

Broyles. The kiss of death.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I had to look it up, its:
TSTM: General Thunderstorm Area
MRGL: Marginal chance
SLGT: Slight chance
ENH: Enhanced chance
MDT: Moderate chance
HIGH: High chance

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/SPC_probotlk_info.html

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i feel like i've explained categorical risk and the accompanying probabilistic forecast enough times in these weather threads to just let people google from now on

i look forward to future SPC products needing a categorical risk in excess of HIGH, though

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

That guy looks like he loves his job and thats awesome

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

VectorSigma posted:

i feel like i've explained categorical risk and the accompanying probabilistic forecast enough times in these weather threads to just let people google from now on

i look forward to future SPC products needing a categorical risk in excess of HIGH, though

DEATH

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

VectorSigma posted:

gas up the chainsaws

Upstate ny just had some tornado like action yikes, Dresden near the fingerlakes

Harry Potter on Ice has issued a correction as of 02:36 on Jul 14, 2021

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

:swoon:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Upstate ny just had some tornado like action yikes, Dresden near the fingerlakes

Active tornado warning for Tioga co. now

I got a bunch of family scattered across wayne co, they got slammed hard by that line that's over Oswego now

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

VectorSigma posted:

is that why the nws is actually hiring?

The weather never ends.

Stereotype posted:

it would be really nice if the NWS actually had funding to make easy to read maps and make their data publicly available in a format that wasn't deliberately obfuscated because some rich sociopath tech billionaire wanted more people to be forced to download his lovely app

Rich sociopaths aside, practically all the data is readily available. You can PM me if you're looking for something specific.

The maps historically looked like poo poo because it was weather nerds making maps for weather nerds, not your grandma on Facebook. There's been a lot more emphasis the last few years on making maps and graphics that grandma can understand. That hasn't caught on everywhere, like SPC for example. There poo poo hasn't changed hardly in decades. They and WPC bought out poo poo like this...

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1415077328707670019?s=20

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/dbrauer/status/1415129142274760705

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

shame on an IGA posted:

Active tornado warning for Tioga co. now

I got a bunch of family scattered across wayne co, they got slammed hard by that line that's over Oswego now

First one since the 70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

First one since the 70s

Oh see this has happened before so it's fine.