Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You're probably not going to get a big raise in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

blackmet posted:

My favorites are "wrong position listed on cover letter."

Like, I understand it's a big company, with a fair amount of openings, and you're just sort of spitballing. That's fine. But don't turn in a letter stating "I feel like I'm a great fit for XXX" when you're applying to do YYY.

I watched my manager review 12 resumes and cover letters, throw out the 5 that did that, then interview the remaining 7 for 2 positions. That was literally the entire litmus test. No cover letter got you an interview. Wrong department? DONE.

Also, if you're doing contract work, don't let the contracting company write your resume. We can tell -- they all have a certain bad formatting, and a lot of typos. I mean, I TRY not to hold it against you...but when you see sentences just trail off into nothing, and constant references to your "passed expirence..." it just makes you look bad.

I had this issue when the application portal I applied through did not have a way to submit a separate resume/cover letter for each position.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
What is more likely to be true

1. Recruiter 1 tells me that job pays X so I interview it (last interview tomorrow)
2. Recruiter 2 calls me today and asks me if i want to interview the same job "I dont know why you would interview there, it only pays X-30%. "

Is 1 lying to me or is 2 just being an rear end in a top hat because 1 got there first?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The answer to "Is this recruiter a dishonest rear end in a top hat or is that recruiter a dishonest rear end in a top hat" is usually "yes."

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pillowpants posted:

1. Recruiter 1 tells me that job pays X so I interview it (last interview tomorrow)
2. Recruiter 2 calls me today and asks me if i want to interview the same job "I dont know why you would interview there, it only pays X-30%. "

Is 1 lying to me or is 2 just being an rear end in a top hat because 1 got there first?

How tf would they know to a moral certainty what another company pays for exactly your position? Recruiters have been replaced by couple apps and the remainder are 95% loving morons.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lockback posted:

You're probably not going to get a big raise in December.

This. Does the company always, always follow through on what they say they will?

Uness it is in writing in a black and white, no room for error email or something I'd assume you're not getting it. If you do have that email confirmation you've got at best a 50/50 shot of getting a raise. And not as much as you hope for.

They're moving the goalpost and you're Charlie Browning after it.

I got ducked around by a company that straight up lied to me for over a year about advancement and development potential and when I clued on and tried to quit they blacklisted me in the region so I couldn't get a job anywhere else.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

How tf would they know to a moral certainty what another company pays for exactly your position? Recruiters have been replaced by couple apps and the remainder are 95% loving morons.

The Recruiters both work for staffing agencies and are trying to place people in a company

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Outrail posted:

I got ducked around by a company that straight up lied to me for over a year about advancement and development potential and when I clued on and tried to quit they blacklisted me in the region so I couldn't get a job anywhere else.

Where can I get these blacklists of employees

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Pillowpants posted:

It's possible 2 doesn't know new salary bands or is confusing your position, but it's also possible 1 is just lying.

If the interview isn't a big problem to do I'd go through it and the fact that you know they might be playing with the salaries might be off some advantage. Stick tight with what the recruiter told you and maybe confirm it over email. Don't tell them that you talked to 2 at all.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

CarForumPoster posted:

Where can I get these blacklists of employees

No idea. A coworker who was working alongside another company I was talking to was straight up told 'We're not allowed to hire Outrail because our company has an agreement not to poach anyone from your company'. This is really lovely and as far as I can tell also illegal.

So not 'blacklist' but more 'sabotaged any hope of getting another job in the area so I couldn't leave'.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes it's technically illegal but also impossible to prove/enforce unless multiple people are spectacularly stupid about it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes it's technically illegal but also impossible to prove/enforce unless multiple people are spectacularly stupid about it.

Yeah, I suspect I could have fairly easily proven it but the cost-benefit to me wouldn't be worth it. And it'd tank my reputation too so what's the point?

I ended up poaching someone from that company at my new position so that was a little bit of satisfying karma.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Outrail posted:

Yeah, I suspect I could have fairly easily proven it but the cost-benefit to me wouldn't be worth it. And it'd tank my reputation too so what's the point?

I ended up poaching someone from that company at my new position so that was a little bit of satisfying karma.

IANAL but do you do something that your reputation in your network really that important? Like $200+K important? There are a few avenues this could go depending on the facts of the case, and many of them are quite valuable. In some cases, the DOJ will get involved and subpoena records, for example https://www.corporatecomplianceinsights.com/dojs-illegal-no-poach-wage-fixing/

Eric the Mauve posted:

From what I've heard as an outsider, its pretty likely if the company is a decent size for some email to have been sent between two non lawyers alluding to the existence of such an agreement, and particularly when the Dep of Justice calls up some $60K/yr HR person and says if you lie you'll go to jail that they will have insiders at the drop of a hat. The problem isn't proving it, it's getting the DoJ to do something in the first place (though, often because they're extremely conservative about evidence).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How long before you figure a company has ghosted on getting back to you? I had a couple interview last week and they were extremely positive going as far as talking about what it is I will be working on etc. The last one was Friday afternoon and I was kind of mentally figuring that Tuesday would be when to expect to hear back if I’m getting an offer, or am I being too impatient?

I would hope that longer would be better as it would be putting together an offer rather than a “regrettably..” email. The manager did say early on in the process he’d let me know one way or another.

I guess I’m just stress stewing because I really want the job so want to get it locked up. 3-4 (working) days should be a reasonable time to get an offer right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nah, I've definitely seen it take a couple weeks before. Some companies move real slow.

I'm not sure what exactly your question is getting at. If it's "How long before you assume the company has ghosted you and you should move on to the next?" then the answer is "immediately". Always keep pounding the pavement for more job offers, it is all upside.

If it's "how long before it's ok for you to contact the company and ask them what's up," the answer is "never." They may have ghosted you--it's unfortunately becoming more common seemingly by the day--but if they have then going back to them won't change their mind, and if they haven't then going back to them makes you come off as needy and impatient. In no circumstance did they simply forget about you.

I would guess the most common thing when a company is silent for a week or more after interviews concluded is that you're on the shortlist but you're not the #1 candidate, and they're keeping you on hold as Plan B while negotiating with Plan A.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ya, that’s a good overview on it. It has only been a couple days I’m just super eager. I did email the interviewers immediately afterwards thanking them for a great discussion and the usual stuff but I would not ping them again about what’s up, that’s definitely bad plan.

There will be visa things involved too so I really should expect it to take longer as I think they probably want to go with H1-B vs the easier to get TN-1 (canada -> US). I gotta just chill out!

Both interviews went fantastically well so I would be really surprised if I don’t hear anything back, at the least they’d probably want to keep in touch in case another option falls through.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

CarForumPoster posted:

IANAL but do you do something that your reputation in your network really that important? Like $200+K important? There are a few avenues this could go depending on the facts of the case, and many of them are quite valuable. In some cases, the DOJ will get involved and subpoena records, for example https://www.corporatecomplianceinsights.com/dojs-illegal-no-poach-wage-fixing/

From what I've heard as an outsider, its pretty likely if the company is a decent size for some email to have been sent between two non lawyers alluding to the existence of such an agreement, and particularly when the Dep of Justice calls up some $60K/yr HR person and says if you lie you'll go to jail that they will have insiders at the drop of a hat. The problem isn't proving it, it's getting the DoJ to do something in the first place (though, often because they're extremely conservative about evidence).

I'm in a rural area and if word got around I like to sue employers I'd most likely have to move.

It's likely that there weren't any emails and I doubt a 'they said they said' thing will work out in my favour. At any rate, it was almost two years ago now and I've gone from doing the most boring bullshit imaginable to managing a company and this is a long-term bump to my career despite being similar wages. Overall it worked out. It's in an adjacent/parallel industry so I can keep poaching employees over time and/or wait for a chance for something better served cold without ruining my reputation.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Outrail posted:

I'm in a rural area and if word got around I like to sue employers I'd most likely have to move.

It's likely that there weren't any emails and I doubt a 'they said they said' thing will work out in my favour. At any rate, it was almost two years ago now and I've gone from doing the most boring bullshit imaginable to managing a company and this is a long-term bump to my career despite being similar wages. Overall it worked out. It's in an adjacent/parallel industry so I can keep poaching employees over time and/or wait for a chance for something better served cold without ruining my reputation.

You wouldn't be the one suing, it would be the DoJ who files suit (you could file suit independently if you wanted but it's usually never worth it). Your involvement would be unknown to your employer until a grand jury is called - if it even got to that point. If what you were told wasn't in writing, then there's no way the DoJ would pursue anyway.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would guess the most common thing when a company is silent for a week or more after interviews concluded is that you're on the shortlist but you're not the #1 candidate, and they're keeping you on hold as Plan B while negotiating with Plan A.

This is pretty much what happened to me once. Interviewed, was told an offer was coming the following week, then it never came. I followed up, was told there was a snafu and it was definitely coming the next week, and then radio silence after that. It's a lovely thing to do to a candidate but it happens.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I was offered a role at the company I had previously said two external recruiters said different things about the salary (X and X-30%)

X Was correct and I negotiated for a 10k sign on bonus.

This is a good opportunity but I also have a great opportunity that is weeks away from making a decision. I’m not sure what I should do.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

I was offered a role at the company I had previously said two external recruiters said different things about the salary (X and X-30%)

This is a good opportunity but I also have a great opportunity that is weeks away from making a decision. I’m not sure what I should do.

Can you let good opportunity place know you have an offer in hand to speed them up?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pillowpants posted:

Pillowpants posted:

This is some despicable poo poo. If it was any other profession than external recruiter, the hobos of the professional services world, I might give 2 the benefit of the doubt but gently caress that guy. If he isn't sure about what he's saying, don't imply someone in your job sphere is lying. gently caress outside recruiters. I'm glad they've been replaced by a secondary feature of LinkedIn.

EDIT: BTW W2G Pillowpants, get that money.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 14, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

CarForumPoster posted:

gently caress outside recruiters. I'm glad they've been replaced by a secondary feature of LinkedIn.

Tell me more, are you talking about the In Premium features for hiring managers?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

CarForumPoster posted:

This is some despicable poo poo. If it was any other profession than external recruiter, the hobos of the professional services world, I might give 2 the benefit of the doubt but gently caress that guy. If he isn't sure about what he's saying, don't imply someone in your job sphere is lying. gently caress outside recruiters. I'm glad they've been replaced by a secondary feature of LinkedIn.

Imagine being the sort of dipshit who thinks lowballing an employee on the wages is a good long-term decision for company stability.

Recruiters are basically freelance HR bounty hunters. They're barely even people.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Inner Light posted:

Tell me more, are you talking about the In Premium features for hiring managers?

Nah Im saying if you were hiring engineers in 1996 you basically had to use, and pay, a recruiter. Today if I want 100 applications, 20 of them good, I spend $200 combined on LinkedIn, Indeed and WorkAtAStartup and I am very likely to get a good hire out of it with less effort than talking to a recruiter. The secondary function is the job posting as LinkedIn primarily functions and bills itself as a social network.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

EDIT: BTW W2G Pillowpants, get that money.

Update: I reached out to the second company and Just emailed me back that they’re not close to making a decision yet but I’m one of the front runners. They asked me to give them until July 26th to get through the scheduled interviews - but I’m not sure potentially burning bridges with this other company is a good choice

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you're happy with the offer you have in hand, or will be after negotiating upward a little, take it, IMO.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pillowpants posted:

Update: I reached out to the second company and Just emailed me back that they’re not close to making a decision yet but I’m one of the front runners. They asked me to give them until July 26th to get through the scheduled interviews - but I’m not sure potentially burning bridges with this other company is a good choice

Two weeks is too long in this economy to expect you to wait. IMO you should politely let them know that since youre interested in working for them. If you're "a frontrunner" they need to poo poo or get off the pot. If they believe you can do that job, they need to make you an offer. NOT hope that a prettier girl happens to be there at last call. I'd give them maybe 5 calendar days, as there are stakeholder on vacation and what not if its a bigger company.

Otherwise, you successfully got what you wanted from company 1, $10K extra. If company 2 comes back with an offer hit them with a price tag that doesn't make you feel bad for screwing over company 1.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got a reply back from the place I interviewed with, the manager and architect liked me so on to talk to more team members. Seems pretty positive though!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

priznat posted:

I got a reply back from the place I interviewed with, the manager and architect liked me so on to talk to more team members. Seems pretty positive though!

Noice!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m stoked! I of course want this to move faster but companies don’t usually do that, and friends pointed out as well that getting me to talk with the team members is a good sign to ensure there is a good culture fit. This is something I’m very confident about, talking to engineers I don’t know about projects we have done is always fun and interesting to me.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 7, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m not sure which Bfc Thread to post this in, but I got hired at this new company and they’re doing a credit/background check.

Will civil court case show up on that? I got sued for defamation a few years back.

Same question re bankruptcy. My wife got us in a hole financially and I tried to consolidate all the cards before realizing that was the right move.

I’ve already signed the offer letter and I’ve never seen anyone get rescinded after the fact for either but my anxiety is through the roof.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

I’m not sure which Bfc Thread to post this in, but I got hired at this new company and they’re doing a credit/background check.

Will civil court case show up on that? I got sued for defamation a few years back.

Same question re bankruptcy. My wife got us in a hole financially and I tried to consolidate all the cards before realizing that was the right move.

I’ve already signed the offer letter and I’ve never seen anyone get rescinded after the fact for either but my anxiety is through the roof.

It depends, "Background Check" can mean a lot of things. If it's just criminal check none of that will show up, if its a full check then:

Depending on State the civil check may not show up if the job pay more than $75k. Depends on lots of stuff though.

Bankruptcy usually won't show up after 7 or 10 years depending on state (though they are public record so if its thorough its easy to find past that)

But if they show up neither strikes me as an automatic disqualification (unless the defamation was from an employer or something). The only thing thats ever came back for me on checks was a guy lied about his degree. Again, depends on the role.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 27, 2021

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
+1 for take the offer in hand when they say they need a decision, don’t wait for dream job to get back to you.

Worst case: this may be sleazy but someone advised me to say yes to company 1, then if company 2 makes a better offer a week later just withdraw my acceptance. Never been put in that position tho

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

teardrop posted:

+1 for take the offer in hand when they say they need a decision, don’t wait for dream job to get back to you.

Worst case: this may be sleazy but someone advised me to say yes to company 1, then if company 2 makes a better offer a week later just withdraw my acceptance. Never been put in that position tho

You can do that, but it won't just burn bridges, it'll nuke them from orbit.

It's an option. You just should take it only if you're very certain that Company 2's offer is worth making an eternal enemy of Company 1.

Caveat that if you already know Company 1 is a lovely company then you should feel less hesitation to do that sort of thing.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Does anyone here know of good networking resources? I have done lots of applications and 0 networking so I should probably work on that ratio. Obv I’m asking for info not a job, my first thought is to look for everyone with the job I want on LinkedIn and send them a message asking if they can tell me what they like about it and what the keys to success in that role are, etc.

Any other ideas?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you went to a tolerably good four year school in the US and A there's probably a good alumni association which tends to be quite useful for networking in my experiece

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Edit: thanks!

Nohearum fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 3, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What are you looking for next?

Are you able to post your stuff in a git repository?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Lockback posted:

What are you looking for next?

Are you able to post your stuff in a git repository?

I'm trying to get something a bit more programming focused while staying in the engineering analysis field. I really like coding simulations/automating stuff. Sick of dealing with physical hardware.

Unfortunately all my work stuff is restricted by govt regulations and can't be posted publicly. I do have a personal GitHub but it's full of dumb stuff like Kodi plugins so I'm hesitant to include it.