Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hrmm. I didn't watch the tv show but by all accounts the production went a lot smoother than American Gods. Maybe Neil likes that team a lot and wants to do more with them and this is a convenient way to do it. Whether or not I buy that story of them coming up with a sequel to Good Omens... well, hard to tell. Not like Pratchett is around to dispute it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Huh. I thought Good Omens was fairly well received, if instantly forgotten.

The Eizouken of Pratchett adaptations, if you will.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Michael Sheen and David Tennant are up there with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan in terms of buddy-pairs I'd watch doing literally anything together, and 'Good Omens' neatly got around the major issue of adapting Pratchett with heavy use of a narrator to literally read from the book, but still, the story is over. It's done. There doesn't need to be any more of it.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah, there's a story about how he allegedly plotted a sequel with PTerry and they never got around to doing it, but... eeeh... Look, I certainly don't want to call the man a liar. I love most of the stuff Neil has done, I'm a huge Sandman fan, but right now some part of me can't help thinking about Neil's quote that an author is someone who tells lies for a living.

Also, I wasn't a huge fan of the Good Omens TV adaption.

EDIT: Here's the story: https://journal.neilgaiman.com/2021/06/really-bloody-excellent-omens.html

I remember when I was a precocious 13 year old at a Coraline reading, Neil telling me, personally, when I asked him about precisely this that they'd never do a sequel to Good Omens because he and PTerry wrote it together to make each other laugh before they got big, and they couldn't go back to it now because then they would be doing it for the money, not the joy of it.

Still, Rhianna's involved and so is John Finnemore, who can bring humor in a way that Neil isn't really capable of, so it might be good. Heck, it might even be great. But in my gut of guts I am against it

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 29, 2021

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The story that there was a planned sequel for Good Omens that only didn't get written because Neil Gaiman moved to America has been floating around for decades. If Rhianna Pratchett isn't against it - and judging by her enthusiastic tweet about it, she isn't - then I see no reason to call bullshit.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Terry might have planned lots of things, but he's dead. Paul McCartney and Ringo shouldn't go make Sgt. Pepper's Second Lonely Hearts Club Band just because John and George once had some ideas about it. Do something new.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
If they'd written the songs while together and only didn't record them then because of logistics, I'd be all for Sgt Peppers 2.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Imagined posted:

Michael Sheen and David Tennant are up there with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan in terms of buddy-pairs I'd watch doing literally anything together

Agreed but whenever those two weren't on the screen we were blessed with child actors and Quirky Witch. I did not finish the series.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't think Terry would mind if his friend wanted to play around with their characters a bit more.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pham Nuwen posted:

Agreed but whenever those two weren't on the screen we were blessed with child actors and Quirky Witch. I did not finish the series.

yeah, the angel and demon were the only good things about the series

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Megazver posted:

I don't think Terry would mind if his friend wanted to play around with their characters a bit more.

I dunno, this is a guy who had his unfinished works run over with a steamroller.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

They're the reason for the sequel. By current accounts, the sole reason.

If it gets Sheen and Tennant on screen together again, I'm OK with it, I'm just not going to pretend it's a Terry Pratchett joint.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Imagined posted:

I dunno, this is a guy who had his unfinished works run over with a steamroller.

I feel his opinion would be "I'm dead, I am literally incapable of caring".

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You'd think, but again, he left instructions to have his unpublished stuff destroyed after he died. So at some level he did care.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Imagined posted:

You'd think, but again, he left instructions to have his unpublished stuff destroyed after he died. So at some level he did care.

He did care, and he did leave instructions:

Neil Gaiman posted:

Terry was clear on what he wanted from Good Omens on the telly. He wanted the story told, and if that worked, he wanted the rest of the story told.

He's explicitly saying that Terry said that the sequel they planned but never got the chance to write should live on, and Rhianna Pratchett retweeted the post where Neil claimed that.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Imagined posted:

Michael Sheen and David Tennant are up there with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan in terms of buddy-pairs I'd watch doing literally anything together, and 'Good Omens' neatly got around the major issue of adapting Pratchett with heavy use of a narrator to literally read from the book, but still, the story is over. It's done. There doesn't need to be any more of it.

Staged is worth a watch if you haven't seen it already

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

The John Hamm character they invented for the show was also a lot of fun and the gags around him landed much better than jokes lifted directedly from the book (because when you translate from book to film with that degree of fidelity it feels laboured because the mediums are different and good adaptations face up to that)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Archangel loving Gabriel is a really good character, and Hamm does him perfectly. I really hope he’s back.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

He was absolutely perfect. When he was out running in the park I just immediately hated him so much -- he's just taking these long, easy, effortless strides like he could keep doing it all day without breaking a sweat, and the rest of us are the harrassed Aziraphale struggling desperately to keep up.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Gabriel makes me think that material written specifically for the show might actually end up being better in TV format than the adapted material.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Megazver posted:

Gabriel makes me think that material written specifically for the show might actually end up being better in TV format than the adapted material.

yeah, pratchett can't really be adapted well, because those things that make some of his books good, work only in written format. using a narrator in the good omens was a valiant effort, but it didn't work spectacularly.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, pratchett can't really be adapted well, because those things that make some of his books good, work only in written format. using a narrator in the good omens was a valiant effort, but it didn't work spectacularly.

Ive been doing a lot of VR gameplay and I really believe you could make Discworld and its stories really come alive in that medium.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Ive been doing a lot of VR gameplay and I really believe you could make Discworld and its stories really come alive in that medium.

Hope you enjoy obtuse puzzles then.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Beer_Suitcase posted:

That doesn't work.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm reading Discworld from the start in publishing order and I just read Lords and Ladies. That may have been my favourite one yet.

Also on the (re) read I think that Small Gods is a piss poor book to recommend as a starter, as it was to me years ago, but I enjoyed it more on the reread. Like, it was ok enough when I first read it, but it didn't make me go "I want to read 40 more of these." FWIW, the order I've read them was Small Gods -> several year break -> The Fifth Elephant -> Carpe Jugulum -> The Colour of Magic etc. I tend to order them in groups of 3 and fold them in with my other reading.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 10, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I read them in whatever order my local library had available at the moment.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
For some unfathomable reason, the German publisher released an omnibus edition simply called "The Discworld" that claimed to be an introduction to the world for new readers and allegedly featured the first two novels in the series.
It consisted of The Light Fantastic and Equal Rites.

Imagine 14-year-old-me's confusion at starting the book that begins with Rincewind and Twoflower falling off the edge off the world, the conclusion to a cliffhanger I didn't even know existed.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

CommonShore posted:

I'm reading Discworld from the start in publishing order and I just read Lords and Ladies. That may have been my favourite one yet.

"Greebo went off like a claymore mine" is easily one of my favorite lines ever.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dave Syndrome posted:

For some unfathomable reason, the German publisher released an omnibus edition simply called "The Discworld" that claimed to be an introduction to the world for new readers and allegedly featured the first two novels in the series.

Imagine 14-year-old-me's confusion at starting the book that begins with Rincewind and Twoflower falling off the edge off the world, the conclusion to a cliffhanger I didn't even know existed.

I thought you Germans had your poo poo together. Ordnung and stuff, y'know? Wow!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is this a different German publisher than the one that was secretly adding Maggi Soup advertisements in the middle of the text?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

YggiDee posted:

Is this a different German publisher than the one that was secretly adding Maggi Soup advertisements in the middle of the text?

Yep, Heyne, aka the soup guys.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Dave Syndrome posted:

Eh, considering almost every Rincewind story starts with him in the middle of somewhere in a horrible situation, it is a start which is as good as any.
Equal rites is where I started 30 years ago.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

YggiDee posted:

:drat:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Equal Rites and then The Light Fantastic were my introduction to the series, so it worked on me at least.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

effervescible posted:

Equal Rites and then The Light Fantastic were my introduction to the series, so it worked on me at least.

Better than my introduction which was the first game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CommonShore posted:

I'm also doing a re-read. I just finished Thud!

Is that my cow? It goes HRUUUUUGH!
It is a hippopotamus. That's not my cow!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm also doing a re-read. I just finished Thud!

Is that my cow? It goes HRUUUUUGH!
It is a hippopotamus. That's not my cow!

Thud is really good, but at the same time it kinda ruined Vimes by giving him superpowers.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, I was never really sure how I felt to find out that the Summoning Dark stuck around afterwards and talks to Vimes sometimes and lets him see in the dark and whatever. Vimes is already a great character as a grizzled down-to-earth policeman, it feels almost like a crutch to give him a magical sidekick that can cheat him through a mystery rather than having to rely on detectivework. It was fine when I thought it was just going to be a one-off supernatural test for Vimes, one that wouldn't ever show up again after the book was over.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I was never really sure how I felt to find out that the Summoning Dark stuck around afterwards and talks to Vimes sometimes and lets him see in the dark and whatever. Vimes is already a great character as a grizzled down-to-earth policeman, it feels almost like a crutch to give him a magical sidekick that can cheat him through a mystery rather than having to rely on detectivework. It was fine when I thought it was just going to be a one-off supernatural test for Vimes, one that wouldn't ever show up again after the book was over.

I honestly thought that the "I watch the watchman" speech at the end of the book was Vimes kicking out the Summoning Dark and was really confused when it showed up in later books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
To me everything after the first encounter with the Summoning Dark is Vimes dissociating and depersonalizing trauma to get himself through stuff. He's talking to his Inner Watchman, the part of him that stretched and grew as a person during his encounter with the Summoning Dark and which has detached itself from his core identity in order to serve as a sort of internal check, to ensure that he himself does not become a monster.

Sometimes you have to have such dialogues with yourself, in situations of extreme stress. This is a common problem for folks who also tend to experience not just second thoughts, but third and fourth as well. Those long trains of thought develop constituencies of their own in one's mind.

(I can't remember if the Summoning Dark's later appearances involved anything overtly supernatural, so this may not have been exactly as PTerry wrote it, but it's certainly my headcanon.)