Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just started playing CARRION because it's included in the Game Pass.

:stare: I heard a thing or two about it but I wasn't expecting it to be this visceral, polished and control so well. Basically you're controlling The Thing and this is how the game plays:

:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kibayasu posted:

From what I've read once they got away from unintentionally disseminating WWII propaganda about the Soviet army because they thought Enemy at the Gates looked cool with Ardennes Assault a lot more people were able to say "Oh this game is actually pretty good" for both single player and multiplayer.

Wait so whether it was good or not depended on who is doing propaganda for?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait so whether it was good or not depended on who is doing propaganda for?

well no, the issue is it was doing silly disproven anti-soviet propaganda perpetuated by america, often using nazi sources, it was better when it was just doing america

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
https://store.steampowered.com/app/898750/Super_Robot_Wars_30/

SRW 30 appears to be getting an actual worldwide release, holy poo poo!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

well no, the issue is it was doing silly disproven anti-soviet propaganda perpetuated by america, often using nazi sources, it was better when it was just doing america

id like to read up on this, are there any sources you recommend?

edit for clarity - i mean that question legitimately, it isn't a snide way to say [citation needed] or anything

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 13, 2021

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Light Gun Man posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/898750/Super_Robot_Wars_30/

SRW 30 appears to be getting an actual worldwide release, holy poo poo!

Wow, that's big if it isn't a mistake somehow. I feel like I should pre-order it just so I can cancel if they remove the English listing to send a little message.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Randallteal posted:

Wow, that's big if it isn't a mistake somehow. I feel like I should pre-order it just so I can cancel if they remove the English listing to send a little message.

The trailer on the Steam page has an ESRB RP part at the start. I don't think it's fake

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Eason the Fifth posted:

I have no clue where to start in terms of books, Myth of the Eastern Front probably, though honestly just check out the MilHist thread, most of what I know is mostly osmosis from there, podcasts and audiobooks. Pretty much all I can say are, the Nazis were Nazis, the Wehrmacht weren't clean, the Soviets weren't incompetent mass suicide troops and Enemy at the Gates, particularly the whole one man has the gun, one man has the ammo, the other has nothing nonsense, was (admittedly entertaining) Hollywood bullshit.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Eason the Fifth posted:

edit for clarity - i mean that question legitimately, it isn't a snide way to say [citation needed] or anything

David Glantz is the acknowledged 'eastern front knower' in the West and has done a lot of work to unpack various myths that were promulgated post war in german accounts. 'When Titans Clashed' is a solid starting point

e; in (entirely undeserved) fairness to Enemy at the Gates, while it definitely exaggerates soviet lack of equipment and otherwise character-assassinates the Red Army, Stalingrad was one of the times when the Soviets really were hanging on by their fingernails for the summer months and desperately trying to produce and ship enough supplies to equip the relief forces. To bring it full circle, the original CoH2 campaign then took that hyperbolic portrayal and went an order of magnitude further into the beginnings of wehrabooism

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 14, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Did I miss Tribes of Midgard talk? It's looking pretty cool, comes out on steam in a few weeks

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

While we’re talking about the Company of Heroes series, what state is the single-player in now?

I enjoyed playing one of them years back, until I started getting absolutely demolished midway through. I figured I just sucked and tried looking up tips but just found a bunch of folks complaining that everything had been rebalanced for multiplayer, rendering some of the campaigns impossible to beat for casual players. Really liked what I had played but didn’t want to deal with random difficulty spikes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

While we’re talking about the Company of Heroes series, what state is the single-player in now?

I enjoyed playing one of them years back, until I started getting absolutely demolished midway through. I figured I just sucked and tried looking up tips but just found a bunch of folks complaining that everything had been rebalanced for multiplayer, rendering some of the campaigns impossible to beat for casual players. Really liked what I had played but didn’t want to deal with random difficulty spikes.

I beat all of the CoH 1 campaigns middle of last year and they're all perfectly beatable, though the difficulty spikes absolutely do exist. If you're not willing to potentially restart an RTS campaign level multiple times as it throws the next objective twist at you and you have to know in advance in order to beat it, which to be clear is not a judgment, I know some people don't find that fun, then I'd avoid it.

E: And some of the later and expansion levels are beatable without knowing every twist it throws at you but it requires playing at a glacier pace, building up and reinforcing and mining roads and generally taking like 2 hours per mission which people also do not find fun but I find incredibly relaxing so, YMMV.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 14, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Insert name here posted:

You took the cargo mission to Earth didn't you

Fuckin' PSTD of bad game design right there, holy poo poo.

For those who never did it: Sometime around midgame, you get a bunch of different factions contacting you for introductory missions to join them. Most just piss off when you say 'no', as you're fishing for the fun faction you'd like to join. ONE OF THEM doesn't take no for an answer, and puts out a totally generic delivery quest on the job board. By accepting the most innocuous side job ever, you instantly lock yourself out of all the other factions and must complete (or never advance to cool poo poo) the plot of some assholes that you've explicitly been trying to avoid.

The devs never made any titles for non-macs, and I feel it's kinda relevant here somehow, the assholes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

StrixNebulosa posted:

Picked up Fates of Ort since it's on sale and it's... superhot isometric spell casting rpg? Absolutely fascinated that this exists!

This one looks really cool, thanks for pointing it out!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Serephina posted:

For those who never did it: Sometime around midgame, you get a bunch of different factions contacting you for introductory missions to join them. Most just piss off when you say 'no', as you're fishing for the fun faction you'd like to join. ONE OF THEM doesn't take no for an answer, and puts out a totally generic delivery quest on the job board. By accepting the most innocuous side job ever, you instantly lock yourself out of all the other factions and must complete (or never advance to cool poo poo) the plot of some assholes that you've explicitly been trying to avoid.

The devs never made any titles for non-macs, and I feel it's kinda relevant here somehow, the assholes.

That’s kinda loving awesome and more games should do that

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Randallteal posted:

Willo567 posted:

The trailer on the Steam page has an ESRB RP part at the start. I don't think it's fake

There's actually region-based trailers! I got one with a PEGI 7 rating. It's happening!

Oh poo poo, oh god, CoH3 and a worldwide Super Robot Wars in the same day!?

Orv
May 4, 2011

That’s kinda loving awesome and more games should do that

Far Cry 5 and everyone loved it there

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Palpek posted:

:stare: I heard a thing or two about it but I wasn't expecting it to be this visceral, polished and control so well. Basically you're controlling The Thing and this is how the game plays:

yea it owns

the only issue with it is it really starts to drag on

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Company of heroes 2 is literally $1 USD right now (even less than COH 1, which is $4). why is it less? Reviews say it has lootboxes, is any of that visible in the singleplayer?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Reviews say it has lootboxes, is any of that visible in the singleplayer?

Nope. There's special commanders stuff for some online modes. The Ardennes campaign is pretty amazing, get it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Chinese gamers really like management/building kinda games, huh?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1426730/The_Immortal_Mayor/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKa-kWXVUCU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Holy poo poo SRW 30 is in the top 10 best sellers right now

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I have no clue where to start in terms of books, Myth of the Eastern Front probably, though honestly just check out the MilHist thread, most of what I know is mostly osmosis from there, podcasts and audiobooks. Pretty much all I can say are, the Nazis were Nazis, the Wehrmacht weren't clean, the Soviets weren't incompetent mass suicide troops and Enemy at the Gates, particularly the whole one man has the gun, one man has the ammo, the other has nothing nonsense, was (admittedly entertaining) Hollywood bullshit.

Also the whole “Soviet army will kill entire companies of their own men for retreating” thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Because they're good and fun.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Myth of the Eastern Front probably

Fuligin posted:

David Glantz

Great, thanks for the pointers fellas

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Yakuza: Like a Dragon has a Pokémon parody side-activity and now my life is over. Thanks. (I'm a Pokémon series and GO fiend.)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jamfrost posted:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon has a Pokémon parody side-activity and now my life is over. Thanks. (I'm a Pokémon series and GO fiend.)

Sadly, you can't actually capture enemies and get them on your team, but given the game's Dragon Quest inspiration we should get that sooner or later.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Randallteal posted:

It's probably real, I don't think any of the series in it have a really tortured distribution history like Macross or Voltron do

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Anyone else who's been around here forever remember the Games megaposter from probably like pre-2010 who was obsessed with the Super Robot Wars series? Who was that guy, is he still here? Anyways, don't care much about this announcement personally, but I got happy imagining him being happy :)

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

goferchan posted:

Anyone else who's been around here forever remember the Games megaposter from probably like pre-2010 who was obsessed with the Super Robot Wars series? Who was that guy, is he still here? Anyways, don't care much about this announcement personally, but I got happy imagining him being happy :)

Samurai Sanders maybe? Not sure about "obsessed" but I searched his name and his last post was two days ago in a Super Robot Wars thread so there you go

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think that was ElMaligno, Samurai Sanders was the OG SRW liker though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It may be Samurai Sanders actually! Don't mean "obsessed" with a negative connotation, just that he'd evangelize the series at every opportunity when it seemed like nobody else even knew it existed. Happy for him!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Palpek posted:

gently caress, I forgot I picked that up when it came out because I enjoyed the demo so much.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The SRW PC release is proudly following the tradition of Japanese* devs forgetting about regional pricing :cripes: Still, super cool to see SRW on Steam. I loved Gundam Cross Rays so this should be right up my alley.

*and French! Looking at you, Ubisoft.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Serephina posted:

There's a tell: it's an unusual size for the cargo. I believe most cargo missions are like, multiples of 5 or 10, it's not.

Yes, that's the only hint it's not a generic randomly generated delivery mission. At least it's (technically) possible to do everything in a starter shuttle until you start being given faction ships! Because the plot prevents you from changing ships for a while.

... I know this from firsthand experience. :shepface:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm still enjoying my Wasteland 3. The combat is really well designed. Better than DivOS2 in some ways. I'm sure it wasn't easy. They use things (guns in RPG, cover system, AP for actions) that are easy to make a bad game out of. I like that the decisions you make have moral weight but they're not zero-sum. I like that you build up a base of allies. It's also got the first video game sountrack that I'd buy. I think it'll take me another playthrough higher difficulty/smaller team to really feel like I understand the combat system.

I've been playing Hitman 2 again (my second try) and it is slick. Probably won't call it as much of a favorite as wasteland. But I've been consistently disappointed, since I started playing video games again a couple years ago, with games that are supposed to be AAA or whatever that have palpable jank, ugliness, inelegance, and discomfort. This one actually feels high-budget. It's exactly what I wasn't getting from Dishonored.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ironically, when Hitman 2 first came out it was very noticeable they were operating at a lower budget than when they were under the Square Enix umbrella - the gameplay was still as great as it was in Hitman 2016, but it certainly wasn't as slickly put together as that game. It wasn't until later after the game's release that they really seemed to grasp how to make better use of the lack of fully animated high-budget cutscenes, or maybe they just finally recouped enough money to put more polish in.

Between 2016 and Hitman 2 I think I've put in excess of 500 hours into these games. I can't loving wait for when Hitman 3 finally comes out, I think in November? It's been a looooong goddamn wait.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I've never heard of Super Robot Wars before, but each screenshot on the Steam page is funnier than the last.

"You're up against the Brave Police!"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

yea it owns

the only issue with it is it really starts to drag on

Yeah, at some point you end up having to do a lot of backtracking, and the game having no map of any sort (at least when I played it) really didn't help that. But still very fun for the first half or thereabouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Trickyblackjack posted:

I've never heard of Super Robot Wars before, but each screenshot on the Steam page is funnier than the last.

"You're up against the Brave Police!"

its a crossover of a bunch of mecha anime. presumably the concept of a show called Brave Police J-Decker with the premise of

quote:

A 10-year-old boy in fourth grade stumbles upon Deckerd, a humanoid robot under construction by the Japanese police, built to fight advanced forms of crime. Yuuta's constant contact with Deckerd gives the robot a "heart", or personality; when Yuuta is recruited as the "boss" of the "Brave Police" (ブレイブポリス, Bureibu Porisu) as a result, a true human/robot partnership occurs. While he's quite prone to tears, he shows that he also has both the kindness and the courage to stand up for other people, or for his team.

was less controversial in 1990s japan