Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

I shoot for 2/sec on all cubes at that tier, it seems to be fast enough while not overtaxing.

Cool I'm not crazy. My goal is always 2/s on all cubes.

In my last two games I've never felt the need to go faster because there's always work to be done once you unlock a new tech.

Ashsaber posted:

Got this game recently, playing an infinite resources game (because I don't want to have to move more often than I need to).

I don't begrudge your infinite resources at all - different strokes and all that - but I'd like to point out it's never been a problem for me. The only place I've ever run out of something is on my starter planet - and that's well after I've left and/or expanded significantly, at which point - if you don't want to uproot your "base" so to speak - you can just import what ever is running out.

Oil running out is a new mechanic, but it's also not a problem. My oil setup on my starter planet - 30 refineries with all the oil nodes being drilled - was still running successfully on my starter planet when I came back to "turn off" my initial research automation producing organic crystals and plastic for yellow and purple research.

Once you leave your starter system you'll discover that other planets have 15-30 million of whatever resources their planet type dictates they should have and I haven't even come close to emptying even a single one of them. Your setups need to be huge and running continuously for absurd amounts of time to empty let's say, a lava world with 30-50 million iron on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Also Ice Fist is super into building massive amounts of late game poo poo, multiple dyson spheres, crazy setups for infinitely recurring tech, long past the point most players stop. For a normal game the oil on your starter planet should be sufficient; I built a sphere without ever needing to import it. (Although the planet was getting close to dry.) Without infinite resources you'll likely run out of iron and copper on your starter but you'll need to import other resources anyway and importing more of the two most common isn't a big deal at all. Even the transition was quite simple - I just deleted my tapped out mining machines and replaced them with IPLs (spaceports) connected to the same loop of belts feeding my smelters. You don't need to move at all, just expand.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
My starter system is proving annoyingly resistant to mining it suck-dry and levelling into full grey cueballs. Why is copper so abundant and so minimally used?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GD_American posted:

My starter system is proving annoyingly resistant to mining it suck-dry and levelling into full grey cueballs. Why is copper so abundant and so minimally used?

Because tier 3 chips are "Add 12 kilograms of hydrogen" instead of "add another dozen wires" like Factorio's tier 3 chips.

Meanwhile everything uses iron/steel/motors, and motors are solid iron.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I still managed to exhaust the copper on my starter. You need quite a lot of magnets

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

GD_American posted:

Why is copper so abundant and so minimally used?

I don't know and it's a bit annoying. Copper, Titanium, and Coal I think are all underused in this game and/or alternate recipes exist that reduce their need. I'm hoping that as the game expands there are more uses for them. In comparison you need absolute boatloads of Iron, Silicon, and Stone.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Alkydere posted:

Because tier 3 chips are "Add 12 kilograms of hydrogen" instead of "add another dozen wires" like Factorio's tier 3 chips.

Meanwhile everything uses iron/steel/motors, and motors are solid iron.

Yeah, on thinking about it that's actually a good comparison - motors are the chips of DSP, but DSP just piles on more of the same base resource or other already-abundantly-used later-introduced resources instead of making use of the basic resources for more complexity. Silicon and iron droughts are something I'm constantly feeling, but only once have I ever actually had a copper shortage and it's because I didn't upgrade my copper production at all from the time I got ILSes to about 20 hours later, at which point demand had finally caught up.

It's always iron, silicon, and in the late game, hydrogen. Very occasionally deuterium but the solution there is more often than not hydrogen, not direct deuterium harvesting.
Sun mining for mass hydrogen when

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

You’re insane

More insanity:

WIP blue chip planet, including all intermediaries. Each section is going to be tileable and produce 3 blue chips / s. The goal is a full belt of blue chips. Can't wait for blueprints.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Just lost about 3-4 hours earlier to this game again. Tooling around improving my production has got me nearly all the red research done now, Not sure what I still need to do before jetting off to start getting Titanium/Silicone.

Start making Graphene, organic crystals, Diamonds and thrusters/drones?
Start solar panel production for the tidally locked planet?
Stockpile stuff for the trip? What stuff?

Still getting my feet under me, to a degree. My production is overall doing pretty well so far, just still working on what to do next.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ashsaber posted:

Just lost about 3-4 hours earlier to this game again. Tooling around improving my production has got me nearly all the red research done now, Not sure what I still need to do before jetting off to start getting Titanium/Silicone.

Still getting my feet under me, to a degree. My production is overall doing pretty well so far, just still working on what to do next.

All of those are good. For your trip you'll want a fat pile of fuel (almost certainly energetic graphite at your point in the tech tree: you need titanium for hydrogen cans). Once you get yellow set up you can start work on your logistics setup[ and yellow tech.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ashsaber posted:

My quick tips list for this scenario, without giving away too much:

• you can't build drones without silicon, but you can build thrusters. Set up 1-2 machines feeding a storage stack of whatever size you like, and once you manage to get yellow chips automated at the required scale, you can build more drone assemblers than you have thruster manufacturing throughput, and run through that excess to bulk up your drone fleet faster
  • build out your yellow-cube research support stuff before you go offplanet, so when you come back in you can just stack all your poo poo into storage, tank up on power, and leave again to get more. You don't need a whole lot of yellow cubes just to power through to Interplanetary Logistics and start building IP Towers, but being able to churn through a few mech upgrades while you're working on box-fed yellow chips and automating towers is nice, and that'll need more than one backpack full of titanium ingots
  • IP Towers have a max draw of 300MW. If that sounds like an awful lot compared to your existing grid, they also turn down to 30MW minimum charge but they need to supply the juice for both legs of each Freighter's trip: you can wait until after you get back to start building that up, but having say 100-150MW of cushion before you start regular IP flights can save you from aggravatedly stomping around your base disconnecting part of it in order to kickstart your rebuilt thermal-fuel feeds. I don't feel like it's an experience which is foundational to DSP ~
  • if you've got a tidally locked planet in your starting system, absolutely stack solar panels, I didn't know that was even possible. If you don't, then don't assume there will be one in your cluster: there wasn't in the only cluster I fully explored. Maybe still stack up at least a single small box with panels, there are plenty of planets with no atmospheres or weak wind where you'll like having 10-20 stacks of solar panels on you when you land.
  • Bring miners, smelters, belts, sorters, power options, and storage options in whatever combination or quantity you think you'll need. You'll want to empty your inventory mostly for the flights back, to maximize your carrying capacity, and stuffing a box full of all of the poo poo you took too much of gives you a little future-proofing against forgetting to fill up on belts or something before you took off, so don't feel like you can overpack. Once you're there, your whole deal is setting up mining outposts and feeding them into smelters, so if you really need something you've forgotten you can set up a mini-mall of various ingots, and magnets, to feed your Replicator. Then you really only need to return for poo poo made with oil, or maybe graphene if your first expansion world has no coal (in the majority of the starts I've done there has been no or very limited coal on one or both of the home-system expansion worlds)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Also shift from storing all your locally made belts, furnaces, etc from local storage bins to storing it all in several logistics towers. You only need to store max 1k or so, but it frees up space and allows you to go shopping off world and just request more stuff.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Roundboy posted:

Also shift from storing all your locally made belts, furnaces, etc from local storage bins to storing it all in several logistics towers. You only need to store max 1k or so, but it frees up space and allows you to go shopping off world and just request more stuff.

I just did this switch recently on my own save and while I haven't leveraged it heavily, it was very helpful when I forgot to bring any ray receivers while setting up my sphere site :v:

Now if only I had enough silicon to even have half of what's in my mall actually start producing...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

This game is just :discourse: so drat good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So there's a dope rear end mini cluster on the edge of my current cluster, and I'm thinking about heading over there and making it my new base. I'll probably create new production lines for most components but is it feasible to request buildings, belts, stuff like that from 25 LY away? Can you make like ILS stations every 5-10 LYs to relay the stuff over or does it matter?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

zoux posted:

So there's a dope rear end mini cluster on the edge of my current cluster, and I'm thinking about heading over there and making it my new base. I'll probably create new production lines for most components but is it feasible to request buildings, belts, stuff like that from 25 LY away? Can you make like ILS stations every 5-10 LYs to relay the stuff over or does it matter?

You don’t need relays, you just need enough power in the sending towers’ buffers for the freighter to fly itself out and back. For mall-type stuff where you’re ordering a few stacks of machines for when you run out, it’s no big deal except for the lengthy travel time to warp 25LY. Even if you’re ordering 10k belts or foundation, that’s not too many flights over the length of time it will take you to need another 10k pack.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

This game is just :discourse: so drat good

The screenshots it generates are glorious too:

Yes, my starting system this save is named Kerbal Kerbel.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Advice for when you hit a spot where feel like there’s far too many plates to spin, and your ingredient routes are getting too crammed and spaghetti-fied?

My problem is I end up rerolling a ton trying to come up with a perfectly extensible solution which gets totally wrecked by either landmass shape or other important features. Now that I think about it I probably should just use foundations to pave everything in my path.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My newest game rolled a gas giant where I can harvest fire ice from the atmosphere there :stwoon:

I always felt like I was annoyingly short on graphene, but with orbital collectors now around the entire equator of my gas giant it will never be a problem again :getin:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Campbell posted:

Advice for when you hit a spot where feel like there’s far too many plates to spin, and your ingredient routes are getting too crammed and spaghetti-fied?

My problem is I end up rerolling a ton trying to come up with a perfectly extensible solution which gets totally wrecked by either landmass shape or other important features. Now that I think about it I probably should just use foundations to pave everything in my path.

That’s the most straightforward way! The best way to make poo poo extensible in the game as it is, is to build really long lines of assemblers and run an extra material feed belt in over the existing one, when all the throughput of that supply belt is taken up by the machines in the line. Later, Planetary Towers and their drones can be plopped at the end of a Long Line, to request and feed components for the next Line.

Your initial installations are always going to be a nightmare, even if you’ve gone into an embark with the idea of building them pretty cleanly: just try to wire supply and demand Towers into the various feeds, and wave the Upgrade tool across that poo poo when you have the ability. If something in there isn’t working correctly, just rebuild it somewhere else and connect that thing to logistics as well.

If every item needed or made by an installation on a planet is on planetary logistics, then you can put another gear factory or circuit farm anywhere on the planet and it will get access to its raw materials from, and make its finished products accessible to every other build on the planet. At zero extra time or attention demand on you!

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 13, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Campbell posted:

At this point it pays to step back and review some short term goals. Just ignore everything but the goal you set and eventually you get yourself back on track. Like, get all the iron input sorted out. Or figure out why circuit boards aren't coming in and fix that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's "spaghetti"?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

zoux posted:

What's "spaghetti"?

Spaghetti is just long pizza

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You guys know nothing, NOTHING of spaghetti. When I played my first run I didn’t realise that sorters could reach further than one square, which made supplying assemblers requiring multiple materials... interesting. And messy.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Wafflecopper posted:

You guys know nothing, NOTHING of spaghetti. When I played my first run I didn’t realise that sorters could reach further than one square, which made supplying assemblers requiring multiple materials... interesting. And messy.

Because I kept having sorters bug out on me if they tried to reach "too far sideways" in an earlier version, I thought you had to dead end each belt for each machine. This after having just finished a hundred hours or so of Factorio. It was bad. Thankfully figured it out around... purple science maybe? Could have been yellow.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

SettingSun posted:

At this point it pays to step back and review some short term goals. Just ignore everything but the goal you set and eventually you get yourself back on track. Like, get all the iron input sorted out. Or figure out why circuit boards aren't coming in and fix that.

Yep, or set up a factory to spit out enormous amounts of belts, sorters, etc., first game I spent hours and hours crafting poo poo by hand because I didn't appreciate just how vastly more efficient it was to have even a single assembler doing it for me per product.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’m maybe an hour and a half into the game, just managed to put a conveyor line of furnaces into a conveyor of assemblers making circuit boards. First impression is how I hate the camera controls, second impression is how the heck does this ramp up to multiplanet stuff :eyepop:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

drunken officeparty posted:

I’m maybe an hour and a half into the game, just managed to put a conveyor line of furnaces into a conveyor of assemblers making circuit boards. First impression is how I hate the camera controls, second impression is how the heck does this ramp up to multiplanet stuff :eyepop:

1) yeah, the camera controls always suck unfortunately.
2) gradually through scaling up industry on planets, and then all at once with logistics towers connecting them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

1) You get used to the controls over time (as with most games)
2) Go into the options to switch your build camera to "god mode" which makes it zoom out to an overhead camera that is not connected to your robit
3) There's a huge hump going from red/blue science to yellow. You're basically going to have to travel to one of the other planets with titanium on it to collect a few loads and fly them back manually.
3a) Make sure you have at least 4 extra stacks of fuel in your inventory (the best fuel pre-titanium is Energetic Graphite, once you get some titanium you can start making hydrogen cells which are juicy) and save before your first trip offworld. Just in case you get lost.
3b) You don't need to head offworld for silicon if you're okay with crunching massive amounts of stone to get it. Excellent for getting started with some small production lines for solar panels (which are great for kickstarting a new world's power) and tier 2 chips. However as soon as you have offworld sources available I'd suggest dropping this ASAP.
4) I recommend setting production lines up for the following ASAP
-Green Motors (Needed for Particle Containers and space ship engines...and honestly a good chunk of everything else)
-Super Strong Alloy (Needed for space ship towers and construction)
-Particle Containers (You need 20 per logistics tower, and another 20 to upgrade one into an interplanetary tower/spaceport).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also there's a mod that lets you zoom out super far that helps a bunch.

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Yeah once you have access to logistics towers orient yourself to making it as easy to produce them and drones as quickly as possible. It completely changes the way you lay out factories for the better so you can better exploit planets and systems.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A very broad map for the game is : research the pre-cube stuff and build a bunch of poo poo slowly by hand -> set up a 2/sec blue cube deal -> rush to foundations and then begin fixing your geography using the free foundation mod that you better be playing with -> set up oil production to make red cubes -> while you're working through the red tree, unlock your interplanetary drive and head off to set up silicon and titanium production chains offworld ( also build a solar plant factory, I usually just do this whereever I'm making Si, around here you're going to get deep enough in logistics to automate mkII belts and mkIII sorters - do so)-> set up yellow science which will involve ~12 plant set ups making plastic and organic crystals -> set up yellow science production and start ferrying titanium from off-world to make Ti crystals -> set up graphene and acid plants to make particle containers and titanium alloy -> rush interstellar logistic towers -> make by hand or automate the construction of ILS and vessels -> set up a couple on Titanium World and a couple on Homeworld and start running Ti ingots back to your planet so you can stop ferrying crap -> designate a forge planet and set up 4x12/30 smelting blocks for iron, copper, stone, silicon, titanium, diamonds, Si crystals, graphene, glass and a 4x18/45 magnet block - each block should be connected to an ILS that's importing ore and exporting ingots.

At this point you're working on fixing your spaghetti factory and transitioning to a clean, ratioed factory system, with an ILS for each product chain. Before endgame, yellow is where you are going to spend most of your time, there's way more yellow science to do than any other tier, and focus on the upgrade tier before the tech tier. It's a huge pain in the rear end but once you got your factory world humming and your motors line all set up, you're good to go. As far as interplanetary, I find it helps my power distribution, spacing and GPU if I divide my home system labor between the three planets, with pretty much all manufacturing, anything made with an assembler on one, anything made with a bigger production facility (plant, collider, fractionator) on a second world and then all my smelting on a third world.

A big thing about going interplanetary, and this is the first thing I check when I start the game, is how far apart your planets in your home system are. Anything over 2AU or so is not only going to be a pain in the rear end to go back and forth hauling silicon and titanium, but your vessel speed and capacity are going to hinder you. In that case I usually reroll but if you're into a game and you got a planet that's 5 AU away from your home world, you're really going to have to wait until you unlock warpers to rope it into your chain. In those cases, just cram poo poo onto one planet, or two if it's close enough.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
How do you harvest critical photons better? Does it work better with a fairly developed dyson sphere/shell? Even with the graviton lenses in my ray receivers, I'm barely getting 1 a minute.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are they at 100% continuous receiving? Are you putting research into ray receiver efficiency? 12/m is the rate at full efficiency with lenses and 100% continuous.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

magicalmako posted:

How do you harvest critical photons better? Does it work better with a fairly developed dyson sphere/shell? Even with the graviton lenses in my ray receivers, I'm barely getting 1 a minute.

Your income of power/photons from your receivers is directly proportional to the output of your sphere. A receiver boosted with a lens will consume 240 MW and output 12 photons/min. And thus, less if your sphere is not as productive or you have a lot of receivers dividing your income.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Sounds like your Dyson sphere/swarm is too small. One receiver shouldn't be doing any worse than something like one every 30 seconds. If you have more receivers than you have sphere power, the sphere power will be smeared across receivers to average out which might make it really slow to pop out of any one receiver.

Just build more sphere.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Yep, or set up a factory to spit out enormous amounts of belts, sorters, etc., first game I spent hours and hours crafting poo poo by hand because I didn't appreciate just how vastly more efficient it was to have even a single assembler doing it for me per product.

Colonizing other planets to any significant degree without an interstellar mall to deliver more buildings to you is going to come with alot of headaches and wasted time, so please everyone do yourselves a favor and make sure you automate building production and put the results in warp capable towers. You don't want to do the alternative. One factory for each building type is enough. For most building types set the ILS capacity to 100 and just forget about it. Set conveyors and sorters to something much higher like 3-4k. Set assemblers and smelters to something like 3-4 hundred.

All that being said, building a full mall is time consuming - especially without towers - and I didn't want to have to do it more than once. I decided in my current game I didn't want to have to rebuild my mall several times so I opted for a different strategy. I made bespoke factories to build conveyors to mk II and sorters to mk III. I made another factory to build towers and drones. It was a pretty neat pre-tower setup where the only thing I needed to worry about was getting minerals from nodes to the factories. Spaghetti kept to a minimum. You need so many conveyors and sorters it's just not practical to use your replicator for them. But for everything else I setup a small mall of basic materials like iron ingots, copper, magnets, glass, concrete, coils, gears etc. And when I needed some buildings I'd go to that mall and grab the materials. Before towers you don't really need that many buildings anyway (unless you're nuts). So replicating the 20 chemical facilities you need or something like that makes sense to me. But it can't last forever. Once you get big towers it's time to build a big boy mall and forget about buildings.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yesterday:
Spent a good 4-5 hours trying to figure out what my issue with creating more quantum chips is: mainly, Casmir crystals. Nothing I do to generate more hydrogen actually, yanno, produces a measurable effect on the trickle of pink crystals to smash between Titanium Graham Crackers to make delicious Quantum Smores. I fix several production bottlenecks and various issues, nothing.

Only after all of that time to I realize the issue is I'm building Casmir crystals on my starter planet. It's competing with the spaceport sending all hydrogen off-world to one of the other planets in my starter system to be fractionated and deuteriumized. Spend 20 minutes setting up Casmir production on said planet and everything fixes itself.

Today:
The quest for Minty Freshness continues/grows:

I shall have ALL of the spicy hydrogens!

Also the Stellar Cage is going swimmingly:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I am struggling with making yellow cubes fast enough, but I do have it going. How close am I to “done” though? The tech tree doesn’t seem to have a whole lot more. I can’t even automate between planets, although I only have two. My main one and the other one I only schlep titanium and silicon from. I thought I would need more planets than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

You could prooooobably finish the game while visiting 2 planets total, but the later on in the game you are, the more time you spend patching up your bottlenecks (probably green motors). Also once you get warp drive you get to connect some rare resources, so you don't have to burn refined oil in like half of the mid-tier recipes.