Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Moreau posted:

Looking at the five pre-made heroes that come with the Starter Set, they do not appear to indicate a Subclass. Is that accurate, or have I missed something blindingly obvious? (Probably!)

I have no intention of making new players try and choose a subclass, but if we go beyond Phandalin (most likely into Storm Kings Thunder) I'd like to know if these pre-made heroes map to a particular Subclass (in which case, the players can just stick with that); or if I need to make the players choose a Subclass at that stage.

They don't have an explicitly spelled-out subclass, but they have a subclass. The list on the back of the sheet that shows how they progress with each level, and they gain abilities that imply the selection of a particular subclass.

Based on this, both Fighters are Champions, the Rogue is a Thief, the Wizard is an Evocation wizard, and the Cleric is a Life cleric. Definitely the most boring options, but not the worst for giving newbies, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Well, those are the free ones, right?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Makes sense. Thanks! I'll probably run them through that Delian tomb oneshot that was mentioned in the last few pages, then run Phandalin thru Storm Kings Thunder. I figure, after all that - if they start a new campaign, they'll be in a much better place to create characters

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Narsham posted:

It's the reverse compatibility problem. Goodberry has existed as a druid spell since 1E Unearthed Arcana, so like many spells in 5E it exists because it existed before. Interestingly, the 1E version limited the healing you could receive from the berries at 8 hp per day. It's in the 5E spirit not to make you track how many berries you scarfed down in one day, but that would be an easy fix.

Until 3E, the spell was a 2nd level Druid spell. Whether 3E dropped it to 1st to reflect the healing numbers from the spell or because they were recalibrating from the earlier 1st-7th level Druid spell range to the 1-9 range is hard to say. Having it at 2nd level and Create Food and Water at 3rd makes good sense, as after all, the berry only provides for the food requirements.

Unless you read "nourishment" as covering food and water, which isn't consistent with past versions of the spell, but is potentially consistent with the English language.

One might reasonably ask, however, why the designers would make it so easy for the two classes most likely to be able to hunt or forage for food while traveling to negate the need for hunting or foraging.

For every Goodberry you eat beyond the first, make a Constitution saving throw. The DC starts at 5 and increases by 5 for each berry you eat thereafter.

On a failed throw, you vomit and are unable to eat or drink anything except water for 1 hour.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Enjoy posted:

For every Goodberry you eat beyond the first, make a Constitution saving throw. The DC starts at 5 and increases by 5 for each berry you eat thereafter.

On a failed throw, you vomit and are unable to eat or drink anything except water for 1 hour.

On a failed save, you become a double-size Goodberry that heals 50 HP and grants +2 Str, can go above 20, for 8 hours if eaten by another party member.

You are sentient and aware until digested.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Devorum posted:

On a failed save, you become a double-size Goodberry that heals 50 HP and grants +2 Str, can go above 20, for 8 hours if eaten by another party member.

You are sentient and aware until digested.
"Listen, you'll have to act in combat but you'll be compensated in experience. You'll be an In Turn! Also uh eat a few of these."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What if you cast and eat some Goonberries instead? Perhaps not a great idea if you're a charisma based character.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What ever happened to reversible spells? There should be a Badberry

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Enjoy posted:

Druids start selling Goodberries as a cure for alcoholism.

Rutibex posted:

What ever happened to reversible spells? There should be a Badberry

In 1st edition, there was. It dealt 1 poison damage to you when you ate it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Narsham posted:

Druids start selling Goodberries as a cure for alcoholism.

In 1st edition, there was. It dealt 1 poison damage to you when you ate it.

Geez there are plenty of non-magical berries that are worse than that. Hmm. Maybe not if you eat just one though.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Banned from the table after using my Ring of the Grammarian to turn them into Loodberries

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I've been reading a bunch of all this recently, and I'm coming in 100% inexperienced in the whole subject. If I understand correctly, the version of this game to follow would be Tasha's? Is everything else is defunct or does that just depend on who I find to play with? I'm going to be able to actually participate come the 10th of August, so this may all be a bit premature, but I'm looking both at these forums, Roll20 which was suggested to me by these forums, and a couple of in person groups where I live.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is one of the "player-facing" sourcebooks, meaning that most of its material are things to be taken by players. As opposed to adventures which are GM-based.

Tasha's introduced a bunch of new rules for races and classes, but are optional. In some cases they change some core assumptions around, like allowing you to switch out ability score bonuses for races: so if you want to play an Orc that gets +2 to Intelligence instead of the default +2 Strength, Tasha's allows for that.

However, much like feats, there are Dungeon Masters who for various reasons won't allow the material in their own games. Tasha's has a lot of good material, but before using any of it you should clear it by any gaming groups you join. Or if making a new PC write down stuff from Tasha's that you'd use but otherwise build your PC using just the Player's Handbook.

I should also note that it's common etiquette in tables for the Dungeon Master to tell people ahead of time what books are being allowed. Usually everything from the corebooks (Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual) are allowed, with feats being the big "if." After that come the various official supplements, such as Tasha's Cauldron of Everything or the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, which are more trusted due to being official but are not as likely to be owned and read. And after that are 3rd party and homebrew material (think Skyrim mods), which is rarely approved unless it's a trusted publisher like Kobold Press or the game takes place in a campaign setting made by a non-WotC publisher.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 13, 2021

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I've been reading a bunch of all this recently, and I'm coming in 100% inexperienced in the whole subject. If I understand correctly, the version of this game to follow would be Tasha's? Is everything else is defunct or does that just depend on who I find to play with? I'm going to be able to actually participate come the 10th of August, so this may all be a bit premature, but I'm looking both at these forums, Roll20 which was suggested to me by these forums, and a couple of in person groups where I live.

Tasha's, Xanathar's, Mordenkainen's, and Volo's are expansions to the basic content. They did not really supersede anything, except with some optional replacements that the DM can choose to use.

The main draw of Tasha's and Xanathar's is the new subclass options for characters and some miscellaneous other options. Mordenkainen's and Volo's mostly contain monsters, but I think they also have some race options?

However, these things are optional: you only actually need the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide to play the game. (If you're a player, you only really need the Player's Handbook, and even as a DM the other two are optional if you're experienced and are just going to homebrew the monsters and magical items yourself anyway.)

If you're new I just recommend getting the basic stuff and only getting more if you have some experience, like the game, and want more.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gotcha. Thanks. I figure this game is probably rather accessible being rather famous and all, but even there's just a lot.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I'd add that really the only thing you need is the Player's Handbook (which had all the rules for making characters and playing with them). Everything else takes a backseat to that book, and nothing replaces it. After the PHB, I'd look into some sort of adventure module. There's plenty of small free ones, but the larger campaigns are usually the ones that people talk about. Those books have all the details that a group needs to pursue an ongoing game narrative.

But if you're just dipping your toes in the water, I'd suggest starting with the Basic Rules. It's a totally free document put out by Wizards of the Coast, and has the information you'll need to actually play.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 14, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Gotcha. Thanks. I figure this game is probably rather accessible being rather famous and all, but even there's just a lot.

One of the basic precepts is that if you don't know what to do in a situation, you improvise. Make up something that seems reasonable and go with it. Don't get bogged down digging through books for 20 minutes to find out the "official" way of handling it. If you find out later how it should have worked, just chalk it up to experience.

Keep the story moving and have fun. There are no mistakes, just unexpected plot twists.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You really should think of everything outside of the Players Handbook and the Dungeon Masters Guide as being optional additions. With just those two books, you can get a bunch of buddies together, run Lost Mines of Phandelver and have an absolute blast. Every additional book adds on extra options for the game, but none are required.

If you're jumping in as a player, Xanathar's Guide to Everything offers a ton of additional character customization options beyond what is in the Player's Handbook, as does Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. Don't think of these as essential, however.

As an example, lets take the Ranger class. Starts out as a standard wilderness guide, scout, tracker, etc. At level 3, Rangers get to pick a subclass that really flavors how they play. All classes get something like this, usually at level 3, but let's just talk Ranger.

In the Player's Handbook, you can choose to be a Beast Master (who gets a cool pet) or a Hunter (who gets really good at killing things). Basically the class branches in one of two unique directions, and you get to go from there.

If your DM allows Xanathar's Guide to Everything options, you could also pick Gloomstalker (who delve into the darkest parts of the world and learn to strike from the shadows), Horizon Walker (who protects the world from threats from other planes), or Monster Slayer (who do exactly what it sounds like they do).

If you don't have those options from Xanathar's Guide to Everything, you're not missing something vital. The options in the extra books are not necessarily more powerful than the stuff in the Player's Handbook. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't, so don't also think that you're missing out on power, if that's something that matters to you.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah I spent the better part of the day on RPGBOT, which was kindly linked to me earlier, just reading stuff, and the thing about the expansions is that some of the options just sound so cool. Like I was initially on board for a Ranger Beast Master but both Gloomstalker and Horizon Walker just sound awesome. And it goes on like that for the classes I read about. The options are all rather endless at any rate.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
If you're playing a Ranger, especially a Beast Master, you're going to want Tasha's Cauldron.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Ran my first session last night, and we had a blast! 4/5 were newbies (myself included), and we started off with the Delian tomb adventure from the Running the Game YT series, with a few tweaks.

Syncing up dndbeyond and roll20 made my life waaaay easier as a first time DM.

I want to buy a copy of the player’s handbook to expand our options a bit - if I want a physical copy, but also want to have the digital version for dndbeyond to integrate into our game, am I going to have to buy two copies?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah I spent the better part of the day on RPGBOT, which was kindly linked to me earlier, just reading stuff, and the thing about the expansions is that some of the options just sound so cool. Like I was initially on board for a Ranger Beast Master but both Gloomstalker and Horizon Walker just sound awesome. And it goes on like that for the classes I read about. The options are all rather endless at any rate.

Probably the best advice I can give to a new player trying to decide what to pick is to write out a quick description of a character you are thinking about playing, specifically ignoring mechanical stuff. Doesn't have to be more than a couple sentences, and no one else is gonna see it. Then make a list of the classes that might fit the character, and from there go down the list and look at the subclasses and see if any of them are a good match. You might be surprised at where a character concept goes.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dragonshirt posted:

If you're playing a Ranger, especially a Beast Master, you're going to want Tasha's Cauldron.

Agreed, and I'd add that if you want to play a Hunter-style ranger, you're going to want to get Xanathar's and roll a Monster Slayer instead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

Agreed, and I'd add that if you want to play a Hunter-style ranger, you're going to want to get Xanathar's and roll a Monster Slayer instead.

What does Hunter mean in this case? WoW hunter class? Monster Hunter?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arivia posted:

What does Hunter mean in this case? WoW hunter class? Monster Hunter?

Sorry. Could've been clearer. I mean the Hunter subclass from the PHB. If you want to play a, I'd say "classic" Ranger, you're better off taking the Monster Slayer subclass from Xanathar's.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Quarterroys posted:

Ran my first session last night, and we had a blast! 4/5 were newbies (myself included), and we started off with the Delian tomb adventure from the Running the Game YT series, with a few tweaks.

Syncing up dndbeyond and roll20 made my life waaaay easier as a first time DM.

I want to buy a copy of the player’s handbook to expand our options a bit - if I want a physical copy, but also want to have the digital version for dndbeyond to integrate into our game, am I going to have to buy two copies?

I'd take a look at the AboveVTT before you and your buddies get too invested into roll20.

I made the switch when someone here linked it and I gotta say, it's waaay easier to learn and use than roll20 (though there are less bells and whistles). The app is still in alpha phase, but it works very well so far and is getting constant improvements.

If you think one of your buddies may want to DM themselves for an adventure or two, AboveVTT is a really easy way to get into it outside of in-person with a whiteboard.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
For completely new groups, wouldn’t the box sets be a better starting point than the core books?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Absolutely. You don’t need anything beyond the Starter Set to get started. Not even the core books, it comes with a full rules booklet and the adventure includes all the monster stats.

Edit: Hell, even if you're not super beginners, simply having the rules and only the rules in a separate booklet is worth it. Trying to find conditions or the text for the shove action in the PHB kinda sucks.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 14, 2021

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Quarterroys posted:

Sadly yes. But there are ways to cheapen it. If you get the D&D Essentials Kit it comes with a 50% code for the D&D Beyond Players Handbook, and unlocks itself and three extra Adventures for free on D&D beyond.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Ranger needs expansion books to help it out. It started out terrible, with weak subclasses and weak and overly situational class features. Xanathar's subclasses are uncontroversially more powerful than the core ones. Tasha's adds a few more good subclasses, and also has a soft rework of the core class that gives it much more generally useful features as "Options".

No other class really needs that. A core only wizard, paladin, cleric, bard or fighter isn't missing out on much. If ranger is the class you are interested in, get Tasha's as well as core. If you'd prefer not to shell out for another expensive book for a game you haven't played, maybe shy away from ranger initially.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I think it would be very difficult to only be limited to the base subclasses after learning about the extra ones. Not necessarily because of a difference in power but all the extra options in flavor and ideas. Just using the player's handbook doesn't let me play say a halfling who can grow to the size of a giant or a barbarian whose nails turn into massive claws when raging. Those things are super cool. It's one thing to say your character gets their strength from their ancestors but it's another altogether to actually manifest their power visibly, and mechanically.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fair enough. I'm looking at joining a few live groups in my area and I have no doubt that they'll have some resources I can borrow at first to try things out. I know where my interests lie, so I'm primarily looking at Monks, Rangers, Druids, and a couple of Barbarian classes. I'm sure something out of all that will catch on.

Azathoth posted:

Probably the best advice I can give to a new player trying to decide what to pick is to write out a quick description of a character you are thinking about playing, specifically ignoring mechanical stuff. Doesn't have to be more than a couple sentences, and no one else is gonna see it. Then make a list of the classes that might fit the character, and from there go down the list and look at the subclasses and see if any of them are a good match. You might be surprised at where a character concept goes.

This is excellent advice thank you.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Rumor mill says we're getting a new book announcement on Friday

Come onnnnnnn Spelljammer

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rutibex posted:

Can an awakened planet talk? It knows a language but it doesn't have a mouth
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WT0te6DvuoE

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Froghammer posted:

Rumor mill says we're getting a new book announcement on Friday

Come onnnnnnn Spelljammer

Rumors say it's a Dragon book. Next year we are supposed to get Five Setting Books. One Returning, two Classic, and two New ones that are not magic settings.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Yusin posted:

Rumors say it's a Dragon book. Next year we are supposed to get Five Setting Books. One Returning, two Classic, and two New ones that are not magic settings.
Is that based off of the Draconic Options UA?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/ok984s/fizbans_treasury_of_dragons_nerd_immersion/

Fizban's Treasury of Dragons.

Which reminds me I haven't read the Draconomicon in like 10+ years from 3E...

e:

Glimm posted:

drat i'mma buy it just because Fizban

If the alt-cover is just a sleepy old Gold Dragon, they got me.

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 14, 2021

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

drat i'mma buy it just because Fizban

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DourCricket posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/ok984s/fizbans_treasury_of_dragons_nerd_immersion/

Fizban's Treasury of Dragons.

Which reminds me I haven't read the Draconomicon in like 10+ years from 3E...

e:

If the alt-cover is just a sleepy old Gold Dragon, they got me.

This is gonna have to be a banger for me to buy it over just referencing Dragonomicon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Hey friends, just looking for some advice of suggestions. So we're playing Princes of the Apocalypse and have just hit level 10 and our party is very damage heavy. Our Arcane Trickster is starting to get really bored in combat (welcome to rogues) and so is just looking for some suggestions to make combat more interesting. Whether this is through multi classing (raw or homebrew) or something else, would love the suggestions.

For the character herself, Embez LaMent is a fancy noble who is the daughter of one of the big crime bosses of Waterdeep. She always wanted to learn magic but her Father didn't approve or think it was useful. So she ran away to go adventuring to show that magic was a perfectly natural complement to organised crime.

For comparison in combat, we have a Samurai fighter who just multiclassed paladin and can do so many things a round in a fight its wild. Our DM is also incredibly generous for supporting flavourful changes like giving the fighter an amulet of +2 charisma from Lathander himself so the paladin thing would work.