Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Xun posted:

Where is this magical place of inks

you mean the empty vials I will use to send samples around the globe? Or the cuboard in my room containing all 50ml bottles of diamine inkvent blue series? (I got a bulk deal and had trouble with impulse control, ok?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Keetron posted:

Yeah, I meant in general "color" as in green or blue or red, you do not need to try and guess what specific ones I have in my house :creepy:
I'll go and try to find 2ml vials for sale locally and you send me your address in a PM, ok?

edit: I found what I was looking for, 3ml vials, in bulk on the cheap. however due to holidays I will only be able to send something out second half of August, I hope you do not mind.

Thank you! That's very generous and I'll gladly take you up on that! PM has been sent.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

After spending an hour today tediously flushing out some pens that I haven't been using, I'm pretty sure I'm only going to buy pens that are easy to disassemble from now on. If I can't take apart the converter and pull out the feed to make sure I've gotten all the leftover bits of ink, it's going to be too much trouble to do a deep clean

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Xun posted:

Where is this magical place of inks

Anderson Pens has 3ml sample bottles of a lot of stuff, anywhere from $1.50 to $5

E: oh wow didn't even realize there was a separate page I'm dumb. Anyway I ordered some crabs and a Pilot Custom 74 because it looked cool

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Goulet Pens has a similar offering of samples. You can even buy the empty bottles if you're down with that (Iroshizuku bottles look really nice). They even have big random grab bags of ink so you can get a bunch and go nuts to see if any strike your fancy
And also sell the tiny vials if you want to send samples to others.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

404notfound posted:

After spending an hour today tediously flushing out some pens that I haven't been using, I'm pretty sure I'm only going to buy pens that are easy to disassemble from now on. If I can't take apart the converter and pull out the feed to make sure I've gotten all the leftover bits of ink, it's going to be too much trouble to do a deep clean

You so do not need to pull the feed to clean out a pen. Stop doing that! There's no reason to!

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

atholbrose posted:

You so do not need to pull the feed to clean out a pen. Stop doing that! There's no reason to!

+1..as satisfying as it is, just do a flush with the feed still in it. Those things can be super sensitive, and seem to only be held by tension, which will wear off quick each time you pull it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Flush a little (preferably unscented) dish soap in water through a feed and it will take care of the vast majority of old ink. Flush it out under the water and let it soak if it's real bad. Or just put black ink in the pen so it won't matter what color it comes out

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think I got someone interested in fountain pens, which is great because getting presents for them should be massively easier. Now, I just have to figure out if I need to get them ink or paper. Probably the latter, since I can just give them samples of the former until they find something they like.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

re: cleaning, I got a couple of Pilot Parallels a ways back and they both came with a little plastic squeeze bulb thing that's perfect for finishing a cleaning. As far as cleaning out cartridges/converters, I've got some small syringes that work great for filling and cleaning them.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Anyone got opinions about Prefounte vs Metropolitan for longer term use?

Which should I recommend?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I really like my pelikan pens for cleaning. You'd think it'd be a pain being an internal piston fill but the nib unit is really removed. So just pull in some clean water, send it back out through the feed and then unscrew the nib unit and give it a quick rinse.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

endlessmonotony posted:

Anyone got opinions about Prefounte vs Metropolitan for longer term use?

Which should I recommend?

The metro will stand up to stresses better than the Prefounte because of the metal used in its construction. So, if they're going to be carrying the pen around in a pant pocket with their keys or it's accidentally dropped, there will be a chance of the Platinum cracking. If thats not a concern then either will last a long time. I've had a preppy for about five years now that still writes well even if the cap is cracked and doesn't stay on too well.

To add another option: if they like Platinum nibs then the Plaisir might be of interest as its a Preppy/Prefounte made with a metal body and cap.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm extraordinarily lazy and if I've had ink dry out in my Metropolitan, I just unscrew, take off the cartridge, and let it soak for a while in a glass of water. But then, I wasn't in a hurry to refill it at the time either. And now that my main pen is the Lamy Safari I use at work, I'm using it so much it doesn't have time to have the ink dry out in it. I just keep a bottle of ink and a blunt syringe in my desk to refill the cartridge that came with the Safari.

The ink in question is a bottle of blue Waterman ink that a friend gave me because he was gifted it but only uses black inks. Gets some visible shading, not as much as the Lamy ink that came in the cartridge, but nice anyway. My only gripe with using a fountain pen at work is that inks don't seem to sink in very well to post-it notes (unsure if name-brand or knockoffs) and thus you gotta give them plenty of time to dry so they don't smear.

I feel like a bit of a snob at my office, what with my "fancy" fountain pen and mechanical keyboard (that I brought because I was about ready to throw the one that came with the Office Depot special computer I'm using out the loving window because the numpad was so lovely), but like those two things have brought up my quality of life as far as "doing my job" goes. At this rate, next up will be a new mouse because the busted-rear end scroll wheel is driving me crazy.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

taiyoko posted:

My only gripe with using a fountain pen at work is that inks don't seem to sink in very well to post-it notes (unsure if name-brand or knockoffs) and thus you gotta give them plenty of time to dry so they don't smear.

I find that a F/EF helps a lot with thinner paper like post-its.

Also: do NOT fill your mouse with ink.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Sankis posted:

I really like my pelikan pens for cleaning. You'd think it'd be a pain being an internal piston fill but the nib unit is really removed. So just pull in some clean water, send it back out through the feed and then unscrew the nib unit and give it a quick rinse.

pelikans are the best, in pretty much any aspect of fountain pen-itude you could cite, unless the souverän design just isn't your bag. fortunately for me it is very much my bag.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

taiyoko posted:

My only gripe with using a fountain pen at work is that inks don't seem to sink in very well to post-it notes (unsure if name-brand or knockoffs) and thus you gotta give them plenty of time to dry so they don't smear.

The leftover adhesive on the top half of a post-it note does not take kindly to fountain pen ink.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Something nice and classy for this month's Delta.

An unreleased Profili prototype in sterling silver. Apparently it looked too much like the Montegrappa Symphony so Delta changed the cap for the final version.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

grack posted:

An unreleased Profili prototype in sterling silver. Apparently it looked too much like the Montegrappa Symphony so Delta changed the cap for the final version.

honestly grack, normally i think all of the deltas you post are boring af but this one is kind of cool

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

grack posted:

Elegant but still flamboyant. I love it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is the orange translucent?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

grack posted:

Beautiful!

Can we see it uncapped / the nib?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Look out! The grip is lava!!

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

e: Sold my Vanishing Point.

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 22, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Have a picture?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Yo this is sexy as hell Grack. My favorite of the Deltas you've posted.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

recently bought a TWSBI Vac 700R Iris and it is a wonderful pen in looks and feel. Downside: the plunger seems to shut off the ink flow when completely in the down position and I will have to unscrew the cap and lift the plunger a tiny bit after which writing can resume in a few seconds. It is not a big cumbersome thing but I wonder if this is "normal" or if I should ask for a repair or something?

picture of the pen, filled with iroshizuku take-sumi.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Keetron posted:

recently bought a TWSBI Vac 700R Iris and it is a wonderful pen in looks and feel. Downside: the plunger seems to shut off the ink flow when completely in the down position and I will have to unscrew the cap and lift the plunger a tiny bit after which writing can resume in a few seconds. It is not a big cumbersome thing but I wonder if this is "normal" or if I should ask for a repair or something?

Your pen is working as designed. The plunger doubles as a shut off valve. If you're doing anything more than a quick bit of writing just pull back the plunger a touch and you won't have any problems.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Your pen is working as designed. The plunger doubles as a shut off valve. If you're doing anything more than a quick bit of writing just pull back the plunger a touch and you won't have any problems.

Thank you for the quick response, I was unaware (as is clear I think). But yeah, I write quite a bit and draw with the pen as well. Something to remember when picking a pen to go into the rotation.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I figure this is the best place to try asking:
A while ago I picked up an old pen plotter from the mid 80's. It came with a single pen, an old ballpoint type which (according to the scarce documentation) should use water based ink. Needless to say, it's completely dried out. The pen/cartridge is no longer being produced and is sized to fit that specific plotter model, so I don't think it's possible to just get a replacement. Apart from the pen being dry, the plotter itself appears to be in working order.
So, I want to try cleaning/refilling it if at all possible.

(about 3 cm long, this is before I started working on it)

I have used a syringe with needle to wash it out with water, removed most of the dried ink from inside it, but I'm not sure if the "straw"(?) from the ink container to the ball is also dried up or what.

So three questions:
1) Is this even realistic? Or would I be better off to try fabricating a new pen?
2) Suggestions for further cleaning? The remaining stuff inside doesn't seem to want to dissolve in water, and the last parts of washing it out got me a lot of particles rather than dyed water.
3) Suggestions for ink to fill with?

(Bonus question: If anyone can somehow find new/new-old-stock pens fitting Epson HI-80 or Tektronix HC100 that'd be awesome.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 21, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

nielsm posted:

So three questions:
1) Is this even realistic? Or would I be better off to try fabricating a new pen?
2) Suggestions for further cleaning? The remaining stuff inside doesn't seem to want to dissolve in water, and the last parts of washing it out got me a lot of particles rather than dyed water.
3) Suggestions for ink to fill with?
1) I dunno, sounds like a cool project
2) ultrasonic cleaning, most pen shops have one in the back they will run for you. I tried looking up a nice 2nd hand one on ebay but I havent been on ebay in a decade and omg what a shitshow.
3) Platinum Carbon ink because I love that black.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

Any of you going to the DC pen supershow this year??! I extremely dont have an excuse to buy another pen but I kind of want to go anyway.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Maybe reconsider.

Covid is on the rise again and the fountain pen community leans rightward. Someone will absolutely be there spreading delta. Even vaccinated you have like a 12% chance of infection if exposed.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sankis posted:

the fountain pen community leans rightward.
Don't ruin fountain pens for me, even if it is true.

(this is a lame joke, sort of.)

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

Sankis posted:

Maybe reconsider.

Covid is on the rise again and the fountain pen community leans rightward. Someone will absolutely be there spreading delta. Even vaccinated you have like a 12% chance of infection if exposed.

Dang it, you are probably correct. :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Any of you going to the DC pen supershow this year??! I extremely dont have an excuse to buy another pen but I kind of want to go anyway.

You need an excuse to buy another pen?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Sankis posted:

Maybe reconsider.

Yeah, my wife and I were excited to go to the Chicago Pen Show in September but the rise in cases is making me rethink that. It was gonna be my first show too :(

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Sankis posted:

Someone will absolutely be there spreading delta.

grack, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Dad Hominem posted:

The Frixion is an absolute lifesaver for anyone who has to mark up documents by hand and then scan them - my office goes through box after box. It shows up better than pencil and erases much more cleanly, and with no dust. I'd definitely buy a fountain pen version...

From what I understand, it is the pigments in Frixion ink that are thermo-sensitive. The pigment particles are not water-soluble, which is why they are suspended in a gel. Therefore, it might not work well has a fountain pen ink in its current form. But there are things like Platinum Carbon Black, so maybe it could happen.