Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Who would win in a fight, Jack, Benjamin Button, or Big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Doctor Jeep posted:

"hyper reverse benjamin button" = accelerated aging
not everything has to be a pop culture reference (he said in the pop culture thread)

I understood the spirit of poo poo POST MALONE's post
A movie where the age of the person and the mental age of the person do not match up.
They are old films, and they probably just forget the details. Who cares, gently caress movies.

Then aglet56 posted reverse benjamin button

Aglet56 posted:

reverse benjamin button

That created the joke, right, instead of making something more clear, lets just make it more confusing.

And then you post came in:

Doctor Jeep posted:

"hyper reverse benjamin button" = accelerated aging
not everything has to be a pop culture reference (he said in the pop culture thread)

And thank you. for stopping this joke.
It would have ended up going too far.

but also, gently caress you stopping this joke.
I want it to go further, cuz I crave stupidity.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/BoltzmannBooty/status/1415094362992566274?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Boltzmann Booty is a fantastic username

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

A movie where the age of the person and the mental age of the person do not match up.
They are old films, and they probably just forget the details. Who cares, gently caress movies.

That created the joke, right, instead of making something more clear, lets just make it more confusing.

if I may be entirely too topical, this is how I feel every time I post in this thread in cspam

https://youtu.be/DAN0OCagHzQ

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

someobody has to be a party pooper, the fun and games have to end sometime

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there is no such thing as happiness, joy. merely tricks of a dying brain, lying to itself that it will live.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i did indeed find this part of thor ragnarok to be kind of weird were just supposed to take it for granted that cate blanchett is evil and must be stopped when she doesnt seem to really want to do anything except just run the planet

then when i finally got around to watching infinity war i found it especially weird that the asgardian civil war directly leads to a full genocide for asgard and a half genocide for everyone else because thanos saw the destruction of their planet as the perfect opportunity to swipe the most heavily guarded infinity stone and then make quick strikes for all the others before they can set up a concentrated organized defense

this would be less ridiculous if not for the fact that the movie literally opens up with thor talking about how he was looking for the infinity stones and that this thanos guy is probably trouble before completing forgetting that and getting into actual story

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

she kills a bunch of people and rounds up children

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

i did indeed find this part of thor ragnarok to be kind of weird were just supposed to take it for granted that cate blanchett is evil and must be stopped when she doesnt seem to really want to do anything except just run the planet

she also wanted to take them back to their conquering ways and start launching wars on the other realms, she was basically a Make Asgard Great Again type

indigi posted:

she kills a bunch of people and rounds up children

and also this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

WampaLord posted:

she also wanted to take them back to their conquering ways and start launching wars on the other realms, she was basically a Make Asgard Great Again type

wasnt odin already doing that though the conflict for the second thor movie goes into motion because theyre taking prisoners in a war thats never explained and one of them ate some kind of steroid nuke

loki pretending to be odin did not appear to be doing any wars as far as we could tell but then thor starts the whole plot out by exposing loki and going off to find the real odin and bring him back to power

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

wasnt odin already doing that though

no

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
All I remember from the second Thor movie was that Thor's mom dies and that it was really boring.

The vibe I got from the end of the third movie was "You view the empire you grew up in with rose-tinted glasses. When push comes to shove, it isn't worth saving."

Not exactly a super subversive message, but pretty decent considering it's MCU.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

asgard wasn't invading other realms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0HzpZAgAwY&t=81s

quote:

the Bifrost was destroyed. The Nine Realms erupted into chaos. Wars were raging, marauders were pillaging. I had to put an end to the slaughter.
They were peacekeeping actions. completely different from imperialism.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
#SOSNilfheim

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

I had to watch this on loop for a couple minutes lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtyxJSGM3x0

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/angryrobotbooks/status/1415334167001378817
Is it just me, or are we getting more and more 'green gone too far' dystopias in a way that don't seem entirely organic?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
It doesn't take an op to show that we are environmentally hosed and that society will have to change drastically in the near future if humanity continues to exist :shrug:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

StratGoatCom posted:

Is it just me, or are we getting more and more 'green gone too far' dystopias in a way that don't seem entirely organic?

"What if good thing was secretly bad thing?" is a commonly used trope but it always brings out the laziest loving writers.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

More realistically the privileged class would get to choose which of the unprivileged would die. That's where we're at/headed in a less formal way.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No one steal my idea for a book I'm writing it now

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

StratGoatCom posted:

"You and your partner want to make a baby,
can you live with guilt that the new baby causes the death off the current oldest person?"

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

Fitzy Fitz posted:

More realistically the privileged class would get to choose which of the unprivileged would die. That's where we're at/headed in a less formal way.

:yeah:

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

StratGoatCom posted:

This is a person's brain on movie drugs.
Everything has to be taken to the furthest extreme to create the most:
hammer-to-the-mouth story to capture a person's attention.

The problems we have, in our non-movie reality, are easy to solve.
The harder problem is always: how do we get people to solve that problem?

"Let's solve climate change." - "No. I might be made uncomfortable."
In the usa 600'000 people are homeless -"I hate them. Put spikes where they sleep."
Healthcare - "No. baoidfjajdf" -Explodes with a thousand fake reasons why not.

That scares me about film. It's how it just grabs people's reality.
Human have no control over nature. Subcom to it.
Homeless are not human. Aliens-Crazy-Violent-Jesus
Healthcare makes you complacent, become Walter White.

Science - Here is the process we did this thing, it's mostly safe.
Science - Whole park full of dinosaurs instead of just a T-Rex in a petting zoo.
(Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.)

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

DesertIslandHermit posted:

"What if good thing was secretly bad thing?" is a commonly used trope but it always brings out the laziest loving writers.
Better things aren't possible. Anyone pretending to have a superior society is hiding some unspeakable evil they commit to keep up the appearances of a better world. Any person trying to improve things is naïve or has a secret agenda to commit evil.

Give up.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Those Who Walk Away From Omleas is liberal/ modern anarchist theory

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

This has been a terrible weed page so far.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
The Long Goodbye, The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice are the best stoner films ever made.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

StratGoatCom posted:

eh this sort of story has existed for decades and it only makes sense that there’d be more of them with our impending climate doom

also this poo poo doesn’t make sense cause what about orphans, adoption, in vitro, etc etc. if your parent dies in an accident you’re off the hook? why is it your choice - wouldn’t your parents probably have that conversation before deciding to have a child? wouldn’t it have insane and wildly unforseeable impacts on how society treats mental illness and the suicidal? presumably the main goal would be to get birth rates to drop precipitously- but how would that solve anything in the first 40-50 years? it seems very silly

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

josh04 posted:

This has been a terrible weed page so far.

i liked the bit in cheech and chongs the corsican brothers where chong just fucks off for the entire climax because hes finally getting something to eat

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

oscarthewilde posted:

The Long Goodbye, The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice are the best stoner films ever made.

I watched inherent vice only once, really stoned, and I have absolutely no idea what happened. The guy is a detective I think. He does things. It's in Los Angeles (?)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

indigi posted:

eh this sort of story has existed for decades and it only makes sense that there’d be more of them with our impending climate doom

also this poo poo doesn’t make sense cause what about orphans, adoption, in vitro, etc etc. if your parent dies in an accident you’re off the hook? why is it your choice - wouldn’t your parents probably have that conversation before deciding to have a child? wouldn’t it have insane and wildly unforseeable impacts on how society treats mental illness and the suicidal? presumably the main goal would be to get birth rates to drop precipitously- but how would that solve anything in the first 40-50 years? it seems very silly

if you're an orphan then on your 18th birthday you get to murder whichever childfree adult you hate the most

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

drat horror queefs posted:

I watched inherent vice only once, really stoned, and I have absolutely no idea what happened. The guy is a detective I think. He does things. It's in Los Angeles (?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2-0JHAwD8c

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

He has :krad: sideburns

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/GrahamB47/status/1415396988443496453

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

you pretty much got it

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lmao

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They wouldn't choose them, that would make them feel bad and possibly question themselves and the system.

It'll just be delegated and kept quiet, just like now. As long as they can get their Doordash and the AC stays on, they're happy as clams. Imperialism is all about grinding up others to serve to the imperial core, but only as long as the core is either not informed or otherwise separated from the process. Never show them how the sausage gets made, let alone require their help.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Posting on the weed page :weedass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011