Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Pandas will also absolutely murder and eat the gently caress out of small animals, they just don't do it super often.

Lotsa animals will do that given the chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

feedmegin posted:

Also, y'know, France.

France or not, Britain is thought to have had a shot at destroying the Continental Army. Whether said shot actually really existed is subject to intense debate, but France wasn't the deciding factor in that one.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Lotsa animals will do that given the chance

I saw a cow eat a baby bird once

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
These forums taught me that nearly all herbivores can be opportunistic predators.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Pandas will also absolutely murder and eat the gently caress out of small animals, they just don't do it super often.

I honestly wonder if pandas would do better in zoos if they were fed more meat.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tunicate posted:

Imo the whole panda sex thing is super dumb because its actually fairly to incredibly difficult to get a poo poo ton of species to breed in captivity and somehow everyone fixated on Pandas (Well its because they are big strongly colored bears)

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Well, the fertility problem was due to them not being allowed/disincentiveized to fight and be aggressive, so maybe let them hunt and kill small animals would work a bit too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Telsa Cola posted:

Imo the whole panda sex thing is super dumb because its actually fairly to incredibly difficult to get a poo poo ton of species to breed in captivity and somehow everyone fixated on Pandas (Well its because they are big strongly colored bears)

it's because they're a propaganda arm of a world power

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

I know your joking but bringing in Invasive species to combat another invasive species has historically been an absolutely awful idea
Not always. Occasionally it works, like spreading milky spore to kill japanese beetle larvae.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Scarodactyl posted:

Not always. Occasionally it works, like spreading milky spore to kill japanese beetle larvae.

Though those are cases where they actually remember to check that the new species they're introducing is actually the predator of the one they want to get rid of

Telsa Cola posted:

Reminds me that apparently lions breed so well in captivity that zoos give them contraceptives.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

The printing press, which was invented a few decades before Luther put up his theses, and which allowed them to be spread widely before they could be suppressed.

And more widely speaking, the invention of the printing press means there's more printed material (in general), which means more people learn to read (because now they have something they can afford to read), which means you have a much larger group of people engaged in this sort of conversation over a wider area - you can see this cropping up later in e.g. the English Civil War where both sides are writing zillions of pamphlets attacking the other. If you have to be rich to own a book, only rich people will bother to learn.

Overall literacy stats are pretty low in the Early Modern - but bear in mind most people still live in rural areas. They don't read, or need to read, and generally it takes til like the early 20th century before literacy is common - but in the cities, most people above, like, beggar status (apprentices etc) either can read or have a buddy who can. And the cities are where politics happens, to a first approximation noone cares about peasants.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The United States of Northern and Southern Neokaliforniya, 2187: economy on the rise as hunting licenses for the culling of pandas and koalas bring in massive tourism

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zudgemud posted:

Well, the fertility problem was due to them not being allowed/disincentiveized to fight and be aggressive, so maybe let them hunt and kill small animals would work a bit too.

Another choice is to just have a little Amok Time setup for them

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

it's because they're a propaganda arm of a world power

Yeah the WWF

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Thanks to whoever recommended the Pompeii book, i've been reading it and it's great

we need to bring back the big swingin' dick mosaic

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Telsa Cola posted:

you'd be amazed at how many zoos have teams dedicated to giving various animals handies, complete with reward conditioning so they, uh, willingly avail themselves of the designated enclosure glory hole.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the pandas thing is the combination of tough to get to breed, only having 1-2 cubs that are ridiculously vulnerable compared to many other species, and refusing to eat anything other than the least nutrient dense food possible

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

refusing to eat anything other than the least nutrient dense food possible

Which is why we need to feed pandas delicious steaks, and give them a taste for flesh.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
In fairness to pandas, the number of wildlife documentaries I've seen where some predator walks 1,000,000 km in a day to gently caress up a vague chance at catching and eating a tiny herbavore or two, I'd also be sitting down and chowing on the glorified grass that is RIGHT THERE and that isn't RUNNING AWAY.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

In fairness to pandas, the number of wildlife documentaries I've seen where some predator walks 1,000,000 km in a day to gently caress up a vague chance at catching and eating a tiny herbavore or two, I'd also be sitting down and chowing on the glorified grass that is RIGHT THERE and that isn't RUNNING AWAY.

but like, also eat roots, or berries, or ANYTHING else

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

WoodrowSkillson posted:

but like, also eat roots, or berries, or ANYTHING else

Aren't their digestive systems so absurdly short they literally can't eat any other plants because their gut microbiology is hyperspecialized to process only bamboo?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yes, they are a species trying to cash their own evolutionary ticket

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We should just genetically engineer pandas to be much hornier and eat literally anything.

Either that or let them go extinct. They're trying really hard to

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's hard to blame people for wanting to preserve any species given what we're doing to the environment, but yeah, pandas were likely not long for this world whether or not humans were around.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grand Fromage posted:

It's hard to blame people for wanting to preserve any species given what we're doing to the environment, but yeah, pandas were likely not long for this world whether or not humans were around.
I had heard they were supposedly a kind of good example of a species that is in the process of changing ecological niches, though I wasn't sure if that was in one direction or the other, ie "towards being a giant herbivore" or "towards being more bearlike and omnivorous."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fuschia tude posted:

Aren't their digestive systems so absurdly short they literally can't eat any other plants because their gut microbiology is hyperspecialized to process only bamboo?

yeah the microbiome version of "stop making that face or it's gonna get stuck that way"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

feedmegin posted:

And more widely speaking, the invention of the printing press means there's more printed material (in general), which means more people learn to read (because now they have something they can afford to read), which means you have a much larger group of people engaged in this sort of conversation over a wider area - you can see this cropping up later in e.g. the English Civil War where both sides are writing zillions of pamphlets attacking the other. If you have to be rich to own a book, only rich people will bother to learn.

Overall literacy stats are pretty low in the Early Modern - but bear in mind most people still live in rural areas. They don't read, or need to read, and generally it takes til like the early 20th century before literacy is common - but in the cities, most people above, like, beggar status (apprentices etc) either can read or have a buddy who can. And the cities are where politics happens, to a first approximation noone cares about peasants.

romans didn't have the printing press, but literacy rates were still high, even among poorer people who couldn't afford to buy books themselves

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Literacy isn’t just the written word and also the romans were prolific writers with paint, inscriptions, scrolls, and their wax tablets

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I still can't believe how bad almost every ancient education system was.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lawman 0 posted:

I mean, one dude figures out how to effectively teach someone things, BAM Persia = Conquered

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vocational education seemed to have been really good

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Fuschia tude posted:

I'm pretty sure they were originally carnivores, hence the short digestive tract.

Also, bamboo is easier to spot than tiny berries or hidden roots.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, one dude figures out how to effectively teach someone things, BAM Persia = Conquered

Geometry can be really relevant to logistics. Even to basic things like crossing rivers, estimating distances or heights etc.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

Vocational education seemed to have been really good

Apprenticeship has always been a great education model as long as you don't mind some pretty exploitative power dynamics.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Elissimpark posted:

I'm pretty sure they were originally carnivores, hence the short digestive tract.

Also, bamboo is easier to spot than tiny berries or hidden roots.

Well, sure, they are phylogenetically bears. But "originally" in this case means "more than 7 million years ago", before even the divergence between gorillas and hominins. Pandas were omnivorous at least 7 mya, and herbivorous for roughly the last third of that span. So they are extremely well-adapted to this diet, having been forest-dwellers that eat nothing but bamboo for literally millions of years now.

If the diet alone was such a death sentence, you'd think it would have happened at some point over the last 2+ million years they have been eating exclusively bamboo.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Honestly, I've always been more surprised by how good ancient education systems seem to have been; I guess it depends on your point of comparison. I think it's generally agreed that literacy rates were higher than in the Middle Ages in many areas, and at the elite level there was poetry and philosophy being produced that's still well-regarded to varying degrees. For that matter, even education in the Middle Ages was pretty good compared to the popular view of the Middle Ages today.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Everything I've read about Roman education sounds largely the same as what I observed working as a teacher in South Korea and China. Classrooms instead of tutors and fewer beatings, otherwise not a lot different.

(Not to disagree with the bad judgement--I'm not a fan of the education systems over there either)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
is there really anywhere where education is actually good

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The venture compound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Tias posted:

France or not, Britain is thought to have had a shot at destroying the Continental Army. Whether said shot actually really existed is subject to intense debate, but France wasn't the deciding factor in that one.

France and Spain won in the American revolution and the Napoleonic Wars are the only reason the British never launched a reconquest which everyone expected at the time.