Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well, that's cool to read. Because Superhot was one of the most fun games I played in normal reality, I was really excited to try it out in virtual reality last night until quickly feeling stuck :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Superhot does benefit from motion a bit though - I played standing in a decent sized space (not like... an empty basement) and was able to reach over and grab things in a cool way.

I also saw a video of a guy playing Pistol Whip wirelessly in "Ninja Mode" and he was literally running around slapping enemies and rolling out of the way of bullets. I was going to throw up

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I punched into a real wall twice in Superhot VR

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://uploadvr.com/resolution-games-funding-series-c/

They are getting the moolah.
I didn't know they were more than 100 devs already! And that's before the new funding.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Argue posted:

In my bedroom space I had like zero problems with it, and it even enhanced the experience because I had a bed directly to my left that I could use to literally do some Matrix dodging. I could just lean or lay on the bed as bullets flew over my head.

In my current living room space I booted the game up for the first time in a long time and the first thing I did was snap the globe off the overhead ceiling fan.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
superhot vr feels like early VR and has some issues with stationary playing. Also, the throwing is super broken. I honestly just gave up on it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It did feel a little weird, I was having a hard time telling if I needed to use the Trigger to 'grab' things or not -- but I put the game down in literally 10 minutes because like I said I thought I needed to move.

I also started playing The Wizards last night, and I am extremely here for gesture-driven spell casting, but throwing Fireballs felt extremely janky. Sometimes it just flies off in a random direction, or has like zero force behind it and just drops in front of me. Seems like I need to work on when you let go of the trigger, and also very sensitive to any rotation of the controller for which direction it goes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Argue posted:

I did my first wall-strike while playing Pavlov the other day.

Did not kill the Nazi :smith:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

superhot vr feels like early VR and has some issues with stationary playing. Also, the throwing is super broken. I honestly just gave up on it

I do agree that it feels really dated but IMO it's so much drat fun that I don't care. Compared to like, Job Simulator which I only just played after a few years of VR under my belt and it just did not grab me at all. It's a tech demo, very simplistic "puzzles" with one solution, and there's no turning it's designed so you're physically turning your body around which for some people with limited space might be a problem.

As soon as a VR game (that isn't, like Beat Saber or a derivative) doesn't offer you the option for smooth locomotion of any kind, at all, I write it off. Small, self-contained little tech demos don't really do it for me at this point, but they're becoming far less common unless we're talking itch.io games or something.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The best SuperHot VR level is the one where stuck writing on a stripper pole to avoid like 50 bullets.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Superhot is a fun hour or so but I wish they'd added more Endless levels, those are really replayable for me, just crazier and more intense until you die.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Grashnak posted:

I've tested out playing beat saber on some pretty fast maps (10+ notes/sec) with air-link and there really isn't any noticeable latency over using a cable, certainly not enough for it to be an issue. I've been running into issues where I'll get half a second of lag every 5-10 minutes though which stopped me actually using air-link for beat saber though.

Is lag a pretty common thing? I guess you can just plug in the Quest 2 to your PC and play PC VR wired in?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Argue posted:

Isn't it easiest when moving really slow, so it doesn't really matter if you hit something.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I also started playing The Wizards last night, and I am extremely here for gesture-driven spell casting, but throwing Fireballs felt extremely janky. Sometimes it just flies off in a random direction, or has like zero force behind it and just drops in front of me. Seems like I need to work on when you let go of the trigger, and also very sensitive to any rotation of the controller for which direction it goes.

I remember the fireballs having some strong aim assist in The Wizards and was just underhanding them all over the place. I don't remember if that was something I turned on in the options or some upgrade I chose or just the default.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There is aim assist which is enabled by default. I can't recall if I ever had trouble throwing fireballs at Ogres, but if I just wanted to break boxes or destructible walls sometimes it took a lot longer than it should have

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m going to argue that Superhot VR is very cool but it is not very good

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m going to argue that Superhot VR is very cool but it is not very good

Agreed.

Then you have Thrill of the Fight, which is very good, but is not very cool.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Bigsteve posted:

Thank gently caress, finally snagged a 3070. What should I be looking at resolution wise in steam and so on now that I can push things a little?

Just wanted to say that your post inspired me to randomly check, and I wound up scoring a 3080 Ti so I just wanted to say that you are a treasure Bigsteve, keep on postin'

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Grashnak posted:

I've tested out playing beat saber on some pretty fast maps (10+ notes/sec) with air-link and there really isn't any noticeable latency over using a cable, certainly not enough for it to be an issue. I've been running into issues where I'll get half a second of lag every 5-10 minutes though which stopped me actually using air-link for beat saber though.

Disagree.

I have a wifi 6 router, its as fast as it can get, but theres still enough of a latency issue that theres no way I'd be able to grind rank on airlink/vd. I can stumble through a song, but lol the # of ghosted or missed notes due to latency and what have you.

For literally every other game its fine. Just, high end saber, Naw no way. Its just not consistent enough and even on its "best" theres still enough of a delay you have to compensate mentally for it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Squiggle posted:

Just wanted to say that your post inspired me to randomly check, and I wound up scoring a 3080 Ti so I just wanted to say that you are a treasure Bigsteve, keep on postin'

Where are you randomly checking that you're able to find one?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Beastie posted:

The best SuperHot VR level is the one where stuck writing on a stripper pole to avoid like 50 bullets.

That one's extremely good, but I think my favourite was one in a kitchen where you're batting away bullets with a frying pan

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Party Boat posted:

That one's extremely good, but I think my favourite was one in a kitchen where you're batting away bullets with a frying pan

I hope all you superhot players are throwing yourself weapons and poo poo into the next scenes.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Disagree.

I have a wifi 6 router, its as fast as it can get, but theres still enough of a latency issue that theres no way I'd be able to grind rank on airlink/vd. I can stumble through a song, but lol the # of ghosted or missed notes due to latency and what have you.

For literally every other game its fine. Just, high end saber, Naw no way. Its just not consistent enough and even on its "best" theres still enough of a delay you have to compensate mentally for it.

Are you still streaming Beat Saber? I remember you were using a vive pro for a while for your stream! What are you using now for streaming if you are? Are you usually on the Quest 2 for everything else?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

EbolaIvory posted:

I hope all you superhot players are throwing yourself weapons and poo poo into the next scenes.

Yeeeeah!! I haven't played it in ages but felt like I discovered something I wasn't supposed to know about when I found this out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EbolaIvory posted:

:aaaaa:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

EbolaIvory posted:

that got "fixed"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

that got "fixed"

I hope that's just in the story mode because it was kinda required for endless mode.

Although I did always hope I could like toss myself a gun through the skylight or out of a helicopter, but I never pulled it off. I was playing the game since before the big update.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://uploadvr.com/phil-spencer-quest-2/
So I think this isn't MS getting into VR via quest, I think possibly it's just another screen for them to put a Gamepass app.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

At least on the demo mode of SuperHot, you could throw yourself the weapons a week ago. I too thought I had broken something.

The only time I have hit the wall or ceiling was while playing Echo Arena. I have truly enjoyed that game more than I thought I would, especially since it is free (same goes for Gun Raiders).

I know someone earlier talked about Supernatural. I just signed up last week for the free month trial and hot drat, after almost a week of it, my body is sore. We have Beat Saber too and Supernatural is much more of a workout. I am definitely going to keep going with it after the trial (also, they send a free sports insert for the oculus Quest 2).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sab669 posted:

Well, that's cool to read. Because Superhot was one of the most fun games I played in normal reality, I was really excited to try it out in virtual reality last night until quickly feeling stuck :v:

CLAIM YOUR REWARD

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Everyone's different but it's still a bit weird for me to read people not liking Superhot VR. I thought it was an absolutely fantastic game that really "worked" well in VR. I really enjoyed it.

It also was a big learning experience for me when I let a buddy try it and he would just inevitably speed up and do things super fast, leading me to worry he would punch a wall or something despite the generously-spaced guardian I had set up. Personally I am always hyper-aware of both the guardian and the fact that I am in a limited space. Other people -- apparently -- not so much!

The same buddy enjoyed it a lot but when it teleported you to a window ledge with big letters DEMONSTRATE YOUR COMMITMENT show up in midair he noped out quick :pressf:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

that got "fixed"

When? Because uh now ima have to boot it up and check. Also if you goto the beta tab on steam, you can just roll back if thats the case. so whatever.

EDIT: I'm not seeing a patch note for a while, so I dunno about this. def checking later.

infinite99 posted:

Are you still streaming Beat Saber? I remember you were using a vive pro for a while for your stream! What are you using now for streaming if you are? Are you usually on the Quest 2 for everything else?

Nah. I work in esports now and mostly just apex if I do stream. I still saber from time to time but I kinda cap out the 400pp range. Really into audica right now. Might come back to streaming that once the new avatars done. Sure wish my tundras would ship. >__>

I'm on an Index 99% of the time right now. I use my quest 2 when I'm messing about with VD in the yard or something. Heads kinda massive so quest isn't great for me :(

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 14, 2021

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

Disagree.

Aren't you playing at the super high-end 6 or 7-notes-per-second tier of songs though? Some of those would absolutely be BRUTALLY punishing with a modicum of lag sure, but for the rest of us sub-250pp players it's probably not going to be super noticeable.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

DelphiAegis posted:

Aren't you playing at the super high-end 6 or 7-notes-per-second tier of songs though? Some of those would absolutely be BRUTALLY punishing with a modicum of lag sure, but for the rest of us sub-250pp players it's probably not going to be super noticeable.

Yes. 400pp is anywhere from like idk 7-13nps? Hell we're up to 600pp now. Its insane how far the meta has gone.

And even at the 250ish range its there. you still feel it. its just slow enough you can compensate for it.

I say its still there because for some people, thats a really big deal even at slow speeds because the timing is also off technically. For someone like me who relies on the timing for things as well as sight reading, even things in the 200 or less pp range 'still feel' weird. Yeah I can SS the poo poo out of em on VD but it still feels crappy.

Its totally playable. I wasn't arguing that for what its worth. But there is a point in note density and jump speed that the delay makes it impossible to chase scores as well as it "feeling weird' on slower stuff just due to timing.

Now, the game does have an audio latency compensation thing you can set, and if you have a solid latency you could in theory dial it in.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

explosivo posted:

Where are you randomly checking that you're able to find one?

New Egg, of all places. Filtered to "sold by New Egg" instead of third parties, and they had a combo pack with a 3080 Ti and some RAM still in stock. The listing for the card itself was sold out, but the combo was pretty much the same price as the cards they're doing lotteries to buy plus some RAM, and hey, I could use a RAM upgrade too.

I was very surprised I could even add it to cart, but it all just showed up today.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

When? Because uh now ima have to boot it up and check. Also if you goto the beta tab on steam, you can just roll back if thats the case. so whatever.

EDIT: I'm not seeing a patch note for a while, so I dunno about this. def checking later.

Nah. I work in esports now and mostly just apex if I do stream. I still saber from time to time but I kinda cap out the 400pp range. Really into audica right now. Might come back to streaming that once the new avatars done. Sure wish my tundras would ship. >__>

I'm on an Index 99% of the time right now. I use my quest 2 when I'm messing about with VD in the yard or something. Heads kinda massive so quest isn't great for me :(

Ah that's too bad, your Beat Saber streams were fun to watch! I'm really contemplating a Quest 2 right now since the price is a lot more reasonable than the Index and for VR stuff I'm just using a laptop with a 2060 in it so it's not suuuper powerful so I probably wouldn't get much use out of the better Index features. I'm only really worried about tracking for all the rhythm games since the original Rift had issues with harder songs with Beat Saber. Not that I play at a super high level so I think the tracking probably won't be an issue with a Quest 2 over Air link or wire. I also haven't played seriously in over a year and the modding for Beat Saber is way different than it used to be and I can't seem to get the songs I had before into the new way of adding songs.

How's the custom song selection for Audica? It looks really interesting and I'd probably pick that up!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Squiggle posted:

New Egg, of all places. Filtered to "sold by New Egg" instead of third parties, and they had a combo pack with a 3080 Ti and some RAM still in stock. The listing for the card itself was sold out, but the combo was pretty much the same price as the cards they're doing lotteries to buy plus some RAM, and hey, I could use a RAM upgrade too.

I was very surprised I could even add it to cart, but it all just showed up today.

Goddamn, congrats!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Obduction. The VR supporting game that I keep wanting to get but never actually buying is free tomorrow on Epic. Nice!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

infinite99 posted:

Ah that's too bad, your Beat Saber streams were fun to watch! I'm really contemplating a Quest 2 right now since the price is a lot more reasonable than the Index and for VR stuff I'm just using a laptop with a 2060 in it so it's not suuuper powerful so I probably wouldn't get much use out of the better Index features. I'm only really worried about tracking for all the rhythm games since the original Rift had issues with harder songs with Beat Saber. Not that I play at a super high level so I think the tracking probably won't be an issue with a Quest 2 over Air link or wire. I also haven't played seriously in over a year and the modding for Beat Saber is way different than it used to be and I can't seem to get the songs I had before into the new way of adding songs.

How's the custom song selection for Audica? It looks really interesting and I'd probably pick that up!

So, If I didn't buy the index, I'd probably use my Quest 2 on VD 99% of the time. IT was "as good" optics wise as my vive pro or whatever, and the tracking really is good enough for high end bullshit in beat saber, so when you get to that point, slap a cable on and pp grind if you want. otherwise, whatever. The biggest reason I use my index is steamvr tracking for trackers, and while I "can" sync playspaces with my oculus its annoying to do every hour or so.

Audicas mod/song scene is "alright". You really need to "get good" quick to play a lot of things, but there is a point where if you can play expert OST, the advanced stuff in custom tends to be around there. Its also awesome installing melonloader once, and forgetting about it. I legit forgot I had done that crap and added some mods or whatever, boot the game up 6mo later and it all still just works.

I think audica is more fun. Its a lot harder to get really good at quickly though. And some things like melee note speed, crank that poo poo up. Sooner you stop thinking about em and just let your brain take over, the better. Biggest tip I ever got from the community. Just, It aint beat saber as far as # of songs.

Appreciate the kind words bout the stream. I miss doing it, but I get to do some really great things now, so its a good trade off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Squiggle posted:

I've been following a bot on telegram for ages for founders editions in Europe. Got lucky with a notification as I had them turned off for being in a meeting at work. Casually glanced at my phone and managed to score a 3070 at retail price, ie no mark up. Massive temptation to throw it on ebay but will get about half the cost back by selling my 1070ti instead.