Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Haji posted:

Just a warning; I find oled to be a huge eye strain. I unfortunately found out after getting an expensive, fancy TV and giving my old one away. I actually have to wear blue blockers now even with the TV at its dimmest settings. It really sucks. And I'm not about to throw down more money to replace my new TV. So make sure that you're ok staring at an oled screen for a few hours at a time before burning money on a new oled device.

Ohhhhh. Thanks for the warning! I do have some eye issues, so I'll need to look into that. Not sure how, I don't think I know anyone with an oled TV, but I've got plenty of time to figure it out.

And yeah, best way for night bugs is a Nook island. Bamboo is the easiest, bugs don't spawn on it and there are no rivers or cliffs to make it annoying to navigate and no water to spawn non-tree-beetle bugs. Pick the flowers and just walk in loops scaring away wharf roaches and earth boring beetles. I still need a scarab, a cyclommatus and a hercules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I need a scarab and an ant. I don't know how I've been playing for a year and never seem to get ants, even with a rotting turnip.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

effika posted:

I need a scarab and an ant. I don't know how I've been playing for a year and never seem to get ants, even with a rotting turnip.

They need space since they don't spawn on turnips directly, but form a short line from their ant hill to the turnip.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

They need space since they don't spawn on turnips directly, but form a short line from their ant hill to the turnip.

Oooooh. Well, time to do some trash redecorating!

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

effika posted:

Oooooh. Well, time to do some trash redecorating!

If you don’t have space on your land, it also works on sand! Put it on the beach.

For myself, it took a bit of TT but I finally managed to craft every single DIY in the game. It doesn’t count for anything but personal glory but I’m pretty happy. I’ve almost got all the clothes too, and then all I will have left is furniture. It’s keeping me going on this game but not intensively.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I wish we had all the furniture the mobile game has

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So are we due for an update soon, or have we not gotten past all of the seasonal events in the last patch?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I wish we had all the furniture the mobile game has

I'd love to see a lot of the interactive campsite stuff the mobile game had. They'd read, or climb on a jungle gym, play instruments beyond a single note, etc. It's a real bummer that all they pretty much do in ACNH is fish or sit.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Hobo Clown posted:

I'd love to see a lot of the interactive campsite stuff the mobile game had. They'd read, or climb on a jungle gym, play instruments beyond a single note, etc. It's a real bummer that all they pretty much do in ACNH is fish or sit.

*fail to fish

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hobo Clown posted:

Hard agree. I want the mobile game's variety without the gotcha. I expected that. Not to say I don't enjoy and love the game but we know what it could be.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Willo567 posted:

So are we due for an update soon, or have we not gotten past all of the seasonal events in the last patch?

I think the limited items that are now in the Nook shopping app were the last of the additions from the most recent patch. They might do an update at the end of the month to maybe add a little something to the future reworks event and some more seasonal shopping app stuff. Who knows if or when they will update with actual new events or features. There’s stuff that was data mined forever ago that never materialized.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I never did get to use the cooler furniture in the mobile game because they were stingy as hell with the free tickets and combine that with the standard gacha chances RIP

Makes sense the Nooks were behind the leaf tickets and the gacha equivalent cookies.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I remember the gacha not being too bad at the start, you could pretty much get everything in the game just through playing. Then they added the monthly events which were a grind but doable. Then the fortune cookies came around and you weren't completing sets unless you spent $80-90 per month or got real lucky with RNG. It got real predatory real fast.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

All I wanted was the dang Campsite sign. Soon as I got the freebies Pocket Camp went straight back to the abyss.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hobo Clown posted:

I dunno man, maybe your villagers are just boring? Mine sing, dance, water flowers, read, eat, drink, fall asleep, stalk bugs, have mad fits of the zoomies, examine poo poo with magnifying glasses, have utterly baffling conversations with each other, do yoga, lift weights...

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Black Robe posted:

I dunno man, maybe your villagers are just boring? Mine sing, dance, water flowers, read, eat, drink, fall asleep, stalk bugs, have mad fits of the zoomies, examine poo poo with magnifying glasses, have utterly baffling conversations with each other, do yoga, lift weights...

My heart swoons every time I see one of my dopey little animals having a snooze next to a pond then waking up all shocked and embarrassed.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Maybe I shouldn't have brought up the mobile game, my bad!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Moved my rotting turnip to the beach, did a lap looking for a scarab, and ants were present as soon as I came back. Thanks, thread!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

effika posted:

Moved my rotting turnip to the beach, did a lap looking for a scarab, and ants were present as soon as I came back. Thanks, thread!

Following on from this, I got a fly once and have never been able to get one again since. I can’t even remember how I got the one I got in the first place. I want to get 3 to get the Flick model but how the hell do I even get them again?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Leave trash (the kind you fish out of the water) lying around. I've had the best luck with cans and old boots, I think they do spawn on tires too though.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
I am absolutely convinced that Golden Stags and Ranchu Goldfish are not actually in the game and are just a prank to slowly kill us all. :suicide:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ranchu goldfish are real easy to find certain times of year because they're the only fish with that shadow size in ponds

golden stags are jerks

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've got 5 stags or whatever left till I've caught everything. For the bugs listed as on trees, does that include or exclude coconut trees?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

nesbit37 posted:

I've got 5 stags or whatever left till I've caught everything. For the bugs listed as on trees, does that include or exclude coconut trees?

If it just says trees then it means palms as well.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I am absolutely convinced that Golden Stags and Ranchu Goldfish are not actually in the game and are just a prank to slowly kill us all. :suicide:

- go to Bamboo Nook Island
- bring a sharp ax and maybe some whole coconut trees from your island
- chop all those bamboo MFers down and dig up the stalks
- note digging up stalks is extra important so they can’t spawn bugs
- pick up all weeds and destroy all flowers and rocks
- did I mention I love scorched earth policies
- once island is razed, plant coconut trees if you got them
- enjoy going around the coconut trees which are just far enough apart to allow for respawns when crossing the island

It took me an hour but this was the most efficient way I could get the stupid golden stag.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ChickenDoodle posted:

- go to Bamboo Nook Island
- bring a sharp ax and maybe some whole coconut trees from your island
- chop all those bamboo MFers down and dig up the stalks
- note digging up stalks is extra important so they can’t spawn bugs
- pick up all weeds and destroy all flowers and rocks
- did I mention I love scorched earth policies
- once island is razed, plant coconut trees if you got them
- enjoy going around the coconut trees which are just far enough apart to allow for respawns when crossing the island

It took me an hour but this was the most efficient way I could get the stupid golden stag.

I should try that. I still am missing a lot of beetles I think.

I neglected to play for a month and missed my irl birthday in the game this year :(

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

i remember going scorched earth on my island in ACNL to get the rare beetles. the more things change...

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
I love that even after 479 days of playing this game I still stumble into wonderful nonsense like this.

https://i.imgur.com/xu4a9Kg.mp4

(Rodeo and Tucker are my island's two Lazy residents. So seeing them together in tracksuits attempting to exercise is especially amusing.)

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 16, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

IkeTurner posted:

(Rodeo and Tucker are my island's two Lazy residents. So seeing them together in tracksuits attempting to exercise is especially amusing.)

Bones is my permanent Lazy resident. There's something about the blank vacancy of his eyes and his delight in everything that makes him the doggiest dog. I gave him a tiny pair of glasses ages ago and he likes to wear them around town with a wizard hat. I imagine he thinks he looks very clever.

e: not my picture but look at him. No thoughts, head empty. :3:

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

HopperUK posted:

Bones is my permanent Lazy resident. There's something about the blank vacancy of his eyes and his delight in everything that makes him the doggiest dog. I gave him a tiny pair of glasses ages ago and he likes to wear them around town with a wizard hat. I imagine he thinks he looks very clever.

e: not my picture but look at him. No thoughts, head empty. :3:

He looks like he’s just been shown a card trick

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

He looks like he’s just been shown a card trick

If you showed Bones a card trick his head would fuckin explode.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Please don’t expose Bones to trauma

Tabachinova
May 6, 2007

You say...

You say you'd still rather wear the outfit.
Ankha the Egyptian cat is in boxes. Pm me if you want to come get her before she moves from Mayaya.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Turnips are 123 on Mau-Mau so I'm opening up for anyone who's desperate to sell:

CLOSED

DIYs are more organized than last time. Surfboard and Retro fan cataloging is to the right of the airport across the bridge.

Buy what you want at Nooks.

If it's on the ground and/or in a tree, you can take it.

I'll be AFK but checking on the connection periodically.

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 18, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

RCarr posted:

Please don’t expose Bones to trauma

You just made me imagine a formula cop show but the main characters are a world-weary FBI/detective man with a chiselled jaw, and Bones.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

HopperUK posted:

If you showed Bones a card trick his head would fuckin explode.

Bones is too busy tasting everything on the island. Everything.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Olivia's just asked to move out. She'll be in boxes tomorrow if anyone would like a snooty cat.

Guess I'm going villager hunting on Tuesday, unless I get a fantastic campsite visitor tomorrow or someone has a great villager off my list in boxes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Bones is too busy tasting everything on the island. Everything.

I changed his greeting to 'Who's a good boy!!' and I have yet to regret it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Olivia went to the void, time to find a new friend.

Seen: Ken, Drago, Kidd, Rhonda, Simon, Twiggy, Filbert, Lily, Agnes, Rex, Tucker, Marcie, Annalisa, Becky, Sydney, Crackle/Spork, Gladys, Sylvana, Stinky, Deirdre, Fauna, Elvis, Stu, Tutu, Mathilda, Naomi

Taking Fang. He's pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Black Robe posted:

Olivia went to the void, time to find a new friend.

Seen: Ken, Drago, Kidd, Rhonda, Simon, Twiggy, Filbert, Lily, Agnes, Rex, Tucker, Marcie, Annalisa, Becky, Sydney, Crackle/Spork, Gladys, Sylvana, Stinky, Deirdre, Fauna, Elvis, Stu, Tutu, Mathilda, Naomi

Taking Fang. He's pretty.

Fang's the best. He's the permanent cranky on my island. :3: