Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Hey look, it's that upcoming game about children piloting a gigantic tank to save their families from the notNazis. People are highly anticipating this one.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1357860/Fuga_Melodies_of_Steel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbjXMMH0JzI

And then, if you are bad at games, you sacrifice one of the children to power up the tank's super weapon with their soul while everyone else wonders what's happening and where did their friend go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rffeZQZ5s

You are not bad at games, are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
https://imgur.com/cm461YU

my strongest snkrx so far, critters are stupid good once you get Baneling Burst item.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Det_no posted:

And then, if you are bad at games, you sacrifice one of the children to power up the tank's super weapon with their soul while everyone else wonders what's happening and where did their friend go.

:catstare:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry, another Prey question: I am finally back to where I was when I dropped off, around the time where you are able to unlock Typhon abilities. My question is: (Very mild gameplay spoiler) How many Typhon abilities could I get while remaining below the threshold that turrets would leave you alone? Is it like a ratio between typhon abilities and human abilities? Or is there just a hard limit?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Unlucky7 posted:

Sorry, another Prey question: I am finally back to where I was when I dropped off, around the time where you are able to unlock Typhon abilities. My question is: (Very mild gameplay spoiler) How many Typhon abilities could I get while remaining below the threshold that turrets would leave you alone? Is it like a ratio between typhon abilities and human abilities? Or is there just a hard limit?

I think turrets start shooting you as soon as you slot in the third typhon mod. It's a hard limit.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah, the threshold is 2 powers, regardless of cost. I would suggest you ignore the threshold, since turrets aren't a big deal (and you can always hack them to leave you alone), but if you really don't want to risk it, Psychoshock and Mimic Matter are probably the most useful.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Det_no posted:

Hey look, it's that upcoming game about children piloting a gigantic tank to save their families from the notNazis. People are highly anticipating this one.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1357860/Fuga_Melodies_of_Steel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbjXMMH0JzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rffeZQZ5s

You are not bad at games, are you?

Reminds me of a mechanic from Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. You can enhance the abilities of a unit for a few turns but they die permanently afterwards.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^^
And from what I remember, they are acutely aware that you just gave them a death sentence! :v:

Kazzah posted:

Yeah, the threshold is 2 powers, regardless of cost. I would suggest you ignore the threshold, since turrets aren't a big deal (and you can always hack them to leave you alone), but if you really don't want to risk it, Psychoshock and Mimic Matter are probably the most useful.

I already took Mimic Matter and Kinetic Blast, but honestly at this point basic Phantoms are able to facetank a turret and still knock it out. I am pretty sure they will be a pain in the rear end but not insurmountable.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wamdoodle posted:

Reminds me of a mechanic from Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. You can enhance the abilities of a unit for a few turns but they die permanently afterwards.
Mechanically, sure, but the superweapon powered by killing small children feels even more ill-conceived than Bioshock, really

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I am reminded of the giant robot manga Bokurano, where piloting the robot at all consumed one life per activation - it didn't have to be a child's life specifically, we just happened to be following a group of children, like we do in this game too

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The United States posted:

Mechanically, sure, but the superweapon powered by killing small children feels even more ill-conceived than Bioshock, really

Yeah, everyone knows little kids are soulless monsters so it's just an inherently unrealistic concept through and through.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Incidentally, here's the statistically most sacrificed kid throughout the game's internal testing. Captions on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKP__rjLekc

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Unlucky7 posted:

I already took Mimic Matter and Kinetic Blast, but honestly at this point basic Phantoms are able to facetank a turret and still knock it out. I am pretty sure they will be a pain in the rear end but not insurmountable.
It's only really a nuisance when you forget about it and 'your' turrets start shooting you in the butt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

update, the super robot wars 30 trailer got posted to bandai namco's eu channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_c31zgcgT8

with the end edited to say 'pc - digital only'

so yeah,.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Three Moves Ahead has an interview regarding Company of Heroes 3 by the way: https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/company-of-heroes-3-interview

quote:

Relic has announced Company of Heroes 3! Rob and Len were given a chance to give a bit of the new dynamic campaign map a go. Now they're joined by Relic's David Littman and Matt Philip to discuss what we saw and how this long-awaited sequel is coming together. You can check out the pre-alpha preview yourself by heading over to companyofheroes.com.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Orv posted:

I beat all of the CoH 1 campaigns middle of last year and they're all perfectly beatable, though the difficulty spikes absolutely do exist. If you're not willing to potentially restart an RTS campaign level multiple times as it throws the next objective twist at you and you have to know in advance in order to beat it, which to be clear is not a judgment, I know some people don't find that fun, then I'd avoid it.

E: And some of the later and expansion levels are beatable without knowing every twist it throws at you but it requires playing at a glacier pace, building up and reinforcing and mining roads and generally taking like 2 hours per mission which people also do not find fun but I find incredibly relaxing so, YMMV.

Cool, thanks. I might give it another shot sometime. Still got Mass Recall (all of Starcraft 1 modded into Starcraft 2) and C&C generals on my list of stuff to play while jonesing for an RTS.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
How in the world did they manage to untangle the 30 year old tangle of spaghetti that is the SRW licensing hell? I did not think that was going to happen like, ever.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

How in the world did they manage to untangle the 30 year old tangle of spaghetti that is the SRW licensing hell? I did not think that was going to happen like, ever.

I assume they shoveled money down people's throats.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Someone looked at who owns the rights for the stuff in this game and only a couple big companies are involved compared to other games and with a few series that have no real western license-owner, so it may have been curated to make the first time easier.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Det_no posted:

This honestly looks pretty cool lol. I love the detailed yet cartoony mega-tanks; it's got a Metal Slug feel to it. Is the game basically just turn based RPG battles interspersed with social RPG "walk around your base building relationships with people" stuff?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Trickyblackjack posted:

I've never heard of Super Robot Wars before, but each screenshot on the Steam page is funnier than the last.

"You're up against the Brave Police!"

Wait wait wait, it has loving J-Decker in it? I just went from “eh when it’s out” to planning a preorder, J-Decker owned! I thought the SRWs were gundam and other shows, not the Braves series!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is almost always at least one brave series.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My extremely limited and outside understanding of SRW is that it is one of those Japanese game series that is just perpetual, 24/7 insane nonsense in an extremely enjoyable way.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Orv posted:

My extremely limited and outside understanding of SRW is that it is one of those Japanese game series that is just perpetual, 24/7 insane nonsense in an extremely enjoyable way.

i've never played one but i understand it to be the Gamemaster Anthony's Birthday Party of Anime video games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there is almost always at least one brave series.

Then they need to hurry up and bring them all to the West!!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait wait wait, it has loving J-Decker in it? I just went from “eh when it’s out” to planning a preorder, J-Decker owned! I thought the SRWs were gundam and other shows, not the Braves series!
Gundam is heavily featured but there's a wide variety of stuff. If it's mecha, it can be in, and sometimes that rule gets bent a little with stuff like Space Battleship Yamato and Tekkaman Blade. The series list for 30 is

Mobile Suit Gundam 0079
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
Mazinger Z: Infinity
Shin Getter Robo
Combattler V
Heavy Metal L-Gaim
GaoGaiGar FINAL
GaoGaiGar VS Betterman
Brave Police J-Decker
Code Geass
Magic Knight Rayearth
GunxSword
Majestic Prince
Knights & Magic
SSSS.Gridman

For the brave series specifically, GaoGaiGar has appeared in several games but until recently was the only Brave series. Mightgaine appeared in the previous few games, though. Them going from that to having J-Decker in this one seems to indicate that they're going to work their way through the Brave series.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 14, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

Gundam is heavily featured but there's a wide variety of stuff. If it's mecha, it can be in. The series list for 30 is

For the brave series specifically, GaoGaiGar has appeared in several games but until recently was the only Brave series. Mightgaine appeared in the previous few games, though. Them going from that to having J-Decker in this one seems to indicate that they're going to work their way through the Brave series.

No Exkaiser, no excitement :colbert:

(Seriously though, I adore Gundam in general but seeing it in the SRW games always makes me vaguely guilty I haven't watched more of it. I'll put up with that feeling to see more J-Decker, though! And oh man, Majestic Prince. What a 7/10 anime, it was not amazing but it sure delivered on its promises.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, Super Robot Wars is an extremely good series because unlike most video game crossovers where its like 'oh no, we have all been teleported to this place...' the conceit of the super robot wars series is that all the series take place in the same world and their plots are happening simultaneously and influence each other. So you get twenty mecha anime plots happening at once and the writing gets exactly as ridiculous as it sounds, but they usually do a pretty good job stringing it all together into a coherent and satisfying experience with some cool thematic beats. its way more interesting than the alternative because it actually lets them play with the concepts and themes of the shows they're working with and make some pretty major plot changes rather than just the characters being tossed into a void to talk at each other.

its also good because if you dont like a show itll often work way better when its bouncing off a dozen other shows and having its plot shifted around by them.

also super robot wars t inexplicably was a game about an office worker realizing shes bi and using a giant robot to beat up her sexist boss, and also cowboy bebop and g gundam were there.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Peep this, bozos: Highfleet is out in two weeks. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1434950/HighFleet/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUxI0V3HOLM

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Also looks like Micropose has another flight sim I'd missed, between this and Carrier Command 2 they're really going for that early 90s PC game aesthetic, huh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi-9YJXzzJo

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I wasn't expecting Victory Gundam to make that list, can't wait to see what that plotline looks like :allears:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

loving hell, YEAH!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The constant bullet holes in the glass effect seems a bit much but this looks cool otherwise

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I was also thinking the damage effects, including the screen shake/flashing might get in the way of the gameplay a bit, but I think that's the intention. I hope I can scale it back a bit in the settings. Will be following this one when it launches to see how it plays.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mordja posted:

Also looks like Micropose has another flight sim I'd missed, between this and Carrier Command 2 they're really going for that early 90s PC game aesthetic, huh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi-9YJXzzJo

Oh I didn’t know that guy got picked up by Microprose, I’ve been loosely following his videos for some time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jeez i didn't even realize microprose was still a thing

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cowcaster posted:

jeez i didn't even realize microprose was still a thing

They weren't and then they were again

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The current Microprose has nothing to do with the original, it's an Atari/Infogrames situation. Hell, the current license holder bought the Microprose name from Infogrames lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Found something weird/interesting while cruising the Neverwinter Nights modules:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2426848586

quote:

Tupilak - A Modern d20 adventure set in Greenland.

Tupilak
A small carved figurine... or an evil spirit if you adhere to the old meaning of the word.
Also the title and subject of your last school essay, the cover of which is a photo of the Tupilak your aunt and uncle gave to you.
3 weeks after getting your A on the essay, you received a call from your teacher. One of his friends, a professor of Anthropology at Copenhagen University, wants to meet with you about a proposition.

You went to the meeting with your parents. The professor was apparently very impressed with your essay and had shown it to colleagues doing research in Greenland. They had decided to invite you to visit them in Greenland and see the work they are doing and were insisting that you bring your Tupilak with you.
The university would cover all your expenses.

Not an everyday offer.

So... here you are. In a window seat on Air Greenland GL781, destination Kangerlussuaq, Greenland.
Next to you sits a German scientist who apparently is also meeting with Professor Rheinhart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A storybased singleplayer adventure, but has combat-heavy parts too.
4-6 hours playtime.
Custom rules.

IMPORTANT INFO:
Sound is important, headphones recommended.
The game MUST be played with 1 of the 2 included characters:

I'm going to install and check this out soon. I love the audacity of making a modern day adventure in the NVN engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:bravo: capcom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXZGCwAJpbM