Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I AM VAST

I CONTAIN MULTITUDES

*farts*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

cool bird with good taste in music
https://twitter.com/Spacecowboy781/status/1414953196653629446

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Thesis:
Ironic: "I hope aliens are real, and they destroy all humans"

Antithesis:
Sarcastic: "I hope aliens are real, and they destroy all humans"

Synthesis:
Sincere: "I hope aliens are real, and they destroy all humans"

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Koirhor posted:

their going to be space liberals just like the Asgard in Stargate SG-1. very disappointing overall

goon project: make contact with commie aliens

results: earth is invited into the space-lib galactic federation

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

imagine four tic tacs on the edge of a cliff

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/SingularTobias/status/1414588815063277569?s=20

:hmmyes:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I've seen this before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ciBWNwjsY&t=4s

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

probably worth mentioning that Hunt for the Skinwalker asserts that meditation seems to provoke or trigger or otherwise draw out the phenomenon

im drawing a blank on which major UFO magazine from back in the day also published a mantra and a date and time to meditate on it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Telepathy and meditation is where this all starts to get a bit too 70s new agey cult for my tastes

Maybe that's a fault of mine but I don't think you're going to get a post-enlightenment society on board with that without some pretty strong evidence

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Telepathy and meditation is where this all starts to get a bit too 70s new agey cult for my tastes

Maybe that's a fault of mine but I don't think you're going to get a post-enlightenment society on board with that without some pretty strong evidence

Yeah, though I'm not really sure why I draw the line at that and not Von Neumann probes or whatever. It feels like I'm in an early Fringe episode where Olivia and Peter are still skeptical despite working everyday with a mad scientist.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Seems like nothing is gonna happen with this topic for a while and I'm hoping my level of obsession dies down soon. I'm hearing an increasing frequency of Bigfoot mentions when trying to find new, recent UAP material to listen to.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

bigfoot is the next big thing. you heard it here first. get in on bigfoot today

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Nichael posted:

Yeah, though I'm not really sure why I draw the line at that and not Von Neumann probes or whatever. It feels like I'm in an early Fringe episode where Olivia and Peter are still skeptical despite working everyday with a mad scientist.

at least Von Neumann probes work within a physical framework. I feel the same, meditation and psychic outreach crosses the threshold of plausibility for me though I can’t 100% discount it as a marginal possibility

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

get in on the BigCoin ground level

Dogthing
May 30, 2003

or is it.... just a dog??
Grimey Drawer

i personally draw the line hard at that woo-woo psychic meditation contact poo poo. i don't think we're looking at inscrutable transdimensional beings or time angels or whatever, i think its just probes/craft built by various evolved animals out in the galaxy that are more or less like us

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It makes some sense when you consider that modern UFO culture has a direct throughline all the way back to theosophy and spiritualism from the early 20th century. George Adamski is probably the most well known example, but there's a bunch of others when you look into the backgrounds of the big players of the 1950s.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think the psychic stuff is just like one set of assumptions too far for me.

Like sure, aliens are real I can take that, or there's some dimensional poo poo going on or whatever

but then add another layer on top of that that humans have latent psychic abilities and we're kinda straying from Occam's razor even more than the first assumption
I don't see what it brings

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

sci fi dealing with first contact has psychic powers included a lot

mostly I played Prey recently and have been watching Nightflyers (which is surprisingly pretty good so far)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Like sure, aliens are real I can take that, or there's some dimensional poo poo going on or whatever

but then add another layer on top of that that humans have latent psychic abilities and we're kinda straying from Occam's razor even more than the first assumption

it brings aliens, duh

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

maybe they have computers that can like read our brainwaves and poo poo. but I don't see why we couldn't just post about it on the internet to the same effect. aliens, we are ready for space communism. you have the green light

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

On the other hand, there are rumors that some of the recovered UFO equipment operates via some sort of mental link. Something like that would make all the born-again general staff scream DEMONS! MAGIC!

We know nothing and I don't know when that will change.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, I'm not into the psychic stuff either, but it's definitely a major strain in UFOlogy going back to the very beginning.

It shows up in other High Strangeness areas as well. Like, there's a split between Bigfoot folks where some think that it's strictly just an undiscovered species that we just haven't found living or dead yet, and there's others that think Bigfoot is something spiritual and/or interdimesional. UFOs definitely have the same split.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

the nutcase billionaire, grifting for 8 figure defense contracts.

You're talking about Bigelow, right? Bigelow has an aerospace company that already has a contract with NASA to provide inflatable space station modules. One of them is up there right now (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigelow_Expandable_Activity_Module). So he already has a pipeline to the sweet government contracts and lots of money, that has nothing to do with UFOs. Why potentially gently caress that up with fake UFO garbage that makes half the people in the government think you're crazy? Not saying its impossible, it just doesn't seem to make much sense.

GWBBQ posted:

UFOs/UAPs are solidly in the realm of "it's not the cameras, bigfoot is just blurry."

what the hell are you talking about lol

did multiple governments just state that bigfoot is real, the way that they did for UFOs, or am i missing something

was bigfoot seen by multiple fighter pilots at the same time and videotaped with a fancy infrared camera and locked onto by multiple radars lol

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Working under the assumption that there is no single origin UAP has made me a lot less judgemental of the psychic stuff. poo poo's already crazy, some kind of psychic energy being real would elicit a shrug from me

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

dont need to have spooky psychic powers if the aliums can do remote EEG scans

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

WEH posted:

Working under the assumption that there is no single origin UAP has made me a lot less judgemental of the psychic stuff. poo poo's already crazy, some kind of psychic energy being real would elicit a shrug from me

yeah. aliens from our own universe and dimension may be paying us a visit in addition to aliens from alternate dimensions.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Azathoth posted:

probably worth mentioning that Hunt for the Skinwalker asserts that meditation seems to provoke or trigger or otherwise draw out the phenomenon

im drawing a blank on which major UFO magazine from back in the day also published a mantra and a date and time to meditate on it

yeah i remember hearing about that, several years ago.

The incident i remember is from before the place was bought by the TV show nerds (so the 90s or 2000s i guess?), and it involved some hippie dude who heard about all the weird poo poo happening to the ranch owners, so he was like "im gonna go there and meditate, and see what happens."

And the story goes, that a few minutes after he started, an invisible force seemed to get really mad and charged out of the brush towards him and roared at him, and he poo poo his pants and ran away and never went back lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

alien teens pranking the humans with their cloaking devices lol

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Nichael posted:

That's probably because the only obstacle to a Von Neumann is complexity (and same with most other spacecraft theories). It's just a machine that can build more of itself. The various New Age beliefs would require a radical re-invention of known physics if true. Also doesn't help that the people who really believe in it are usually some variation of burnt out Boomer, weedlord, or psychonaut, which comes with attendant credibility issues.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

endocriminologist posted:

I summoned an alien and sucked him of

thank you. you single handedly (or mouthedly) saved the human race

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Lot of terrans itt not ready for The Truths

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

i like speculating about insane sounding poo poo like the psychic stuff.

for example, brains are basically biological computers, with all these electrical impulses firing all over the place nonstop. Who knows what may or may not be possible if you have the ability to gently caress with those electrical impulses in a highly advanced way. Especially if there's crazy quantum poo poo involved or something.

and then you can get extra insane with the theories.. like, what if consciousness is actually a physical thing. Like, energy or something. What if there's a parallel universe where various energy beings live, where all "matter" is just like, electricity or whatever. What if its possible for some of these inscrutable energy beings to concentrate about goatse so hard, that they can then pass into a parallel dimension and see whats going on? What if the process of evolution here on earth didn't simply create the brain as we know it, but created a brain that is actually some kind of ultra advanced quantum computer that somehow taps into this alternate dimension and traps some of that energy inside of it...bam, now ur meat bag has consciousness, displaced into this fantastic universe of meat and big rocks and stuff. And when u die, the energy gets released from the brain again.

or what if all living beings in this universe are actually imprisoned energy beings in the alternate universe, and this is like a meat Matrix.

lol

:birddrugs:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rah! posted:

yeah i remember hearing about that, several years ago.

The incident i remember is from before the place was bought by the TV show nerds (so the 90s or 2000s i guess?), and it involved some hippie dude who heard about all the weird poo poo happening to the ranch owners, so he was like "im gonna go there and meditate, and see what happens."

And the story goes, that a few minutes after he started, an invisible force seemed to get really mad and charged out of the brush towards him and roared at him, and he poo poo his pants and ran away and never went back lol

That one is from the Hunt for the Skinwalker book.

Some hippy dude who shows up one day and convinces Terry Sherman to take him out and let him meditate on the property. They drive around until the hippy says stop and then he gets out and sits down and starts meditating, and very quickly something that looks exactly like the camouflaged Predator from the Predator movie series charges out of the trees. Before Terry can warn the guy, it basically animal roars right in the hippy dude's face, which prompts the dude to beg Terry to drive him back to his vehicle, after which he flees the ranch. Real Trickster God poo poo.

One thing to remember about Hunt for the Skinwalker is that George Knapp said a while after publication that some of the stories in the book were not exact retellings, though he maintains that everything they say happened in the book did actually happen in real life. And that's beyond him just getting the stories secondhand.

I'll buy that all the elements there happened at some point. Random dudes hear about the place and show up wanting to see it. Some of them want to meditate there. Meditation seems to make poo poo happen. One time when someone was meditating there, they got freaked the gently caress out by something. Sometimes folks see The Predator. Whether they all happen at the same time is an open question.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

bigfoot is the next big thing. you heard it here first. get in on bigfoot today

I love that su walker is making more and more sense by the day :v:

Rah! posted:

You're talking about Bigelow, right? Bigelow has an aerospace company that already has a contract with NASA to provide inflatable space station modules. One of them is up there right now (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigelow_Expandable_Activity_Module). So he already has a pipeline to the sweet government contracts and lots of money, that has nothing to do with UFOs. Why potentially gently caress that up with fake UFO garbage that makes half the people in the government think you're crazy? Not saying its impossible, it just doesn't seem to make much sense.

I watched Bigelow on the jre pod and it's clear he's a True Believer and from his POV it's not a scam imho. Not sure about the people he is surrounded by (NIDS etc), they are probably on the scam side but who knows. The habitat work is just a less absurd outcome of the same fascination he has with space development.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
humanour physics are laudable efforts, but also laughably incomplete

consciousness may well be an emergent property of energy, matter & time

but

the opposite could be true also

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Wasn't there some trippy CIA document or something about methods for meditating along with pre-recorded tapes in order to break through reality or something? I remember that it had diagrams showing the human body surrounded by bent fields of reality and whatnot. trying to google it but not finding anything...

edit: found it! https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP96-00788R001700210016-5.pdf

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Jul 14, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

I love that su walker is making more and more sense by the day :v:

I watched Bigelow on the jre pod and it's clear he's a True Believer and from his POV it's not a scam imho. Not sure about the people he is surrounded by (NIDS etc), they are probably on the scam side but who knows. The habitat work is just a less absurd outcome of the same fascination he has with space development.

Yeah if his sole motivation was money, and he didn't think UFOs are real, trying (key word, because its not certain this will ever go anywhere) to do a UFO grift is poor way to increase ur income, compared to the usual thing of making inflatable space modules, or a million other things you could make lots of money off of without your sanity being questioned.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

humanour physics are laudable efforts, but also laughably incomplete

consciousness may well be an emergent property of energy, matter & time

but

the opposite could be true also

consciousness is birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Azathoth posted:

That one is from the Hunt for the Skinwalker book.

Some hippy dude who shows up one day and convinces Terry Sherman to take him out and let him meditate on the property. They drive around until the hippy says stop and then he gets out and sits down and starts meditating, and very quickly something that looks exactly like the camouflaged Predator from the Predator movie series charges out of the trees. Before Terry can warn the guy, it basically animal roars right in the hippy dude's face, which prompts the dude to beg Terry to drive him back to his vehicle, after which he flees the ranch. Real Trickster God poo poo.

One thing to remember about Hunt for the Skinwalker is that George Knapp said a while after publication that some of the stories in the book were not exact retellings, though he maintains that everything they say happened in the book did actually happen in real life. And that's beyond him just getting the stories secondhand.

I'll buy that all the elements there happened at some point. Random dudes hear about the place and show up wanting to see it. Some of them want to meditate there. Meditation seems to make poo poo happen. One time when someone was meditating there, they got freaked the gently caress out by something. Sometimes folks see The Predator. Whether they all happen at the same time is an open question.

i love all the weird stories that have come out of that place

-a giant climbing out of a portal and then running away across the desert, only visible on IR
-an angry invisible entity charging a hippie and screaming at him, for disturbing the local telepathy waves with his meditation garbage
-cows getting teleported into a shipping container lol

etc

:trumppop: