Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Terunofuji is such a tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I love you fur egg.
Also hoshoryu is definitely a new fave, he's what I wanted Tobizaru to be.
Though I still like the monkey too

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Teru is so dominant that he made his last two matches look like the other rikishi were throwing the match lol

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Apraxin posted:

It's much more niche than the major sports, because the idea is to start young and most recruits are already in a stable before they'd graduate university, but yeah, there's some college clubs and an amateur national championship. Anyone who wins it and chooses to actually join a stable and try and make a career gets the special rank of 'Makushita Tsukedashi' and gets to start out in Makushita - sometimes as high as Ms 15.

It's usually only one or two people per year, at most. Off the top of my head, Myogiryu, Mitakeumi, and Enho all came up that way (Ichinojo also started as tsukedashi after winning amateur tournaments, but without being a college student.)

So I just wanna clarify a few things, the Tsukedashi program is no longer unique to Makushita Tsukedashi, but as of 2015 also includes Sandanme Tsukedashi, Asanoyama and Yutakayama notably were the first to make use of the program to debut at the same tournament in March of 2016, causing the announcers to describe them as rivals when they made it to the top division. Then Yutakayama kept racking up injuries, while Asanoyama was much more successful....until he wasn't.

A year later in March of 2017, Wakatakakage debuted at Sd100TD. You are correct that Myogiryu and Mitakeumi came up through Makushita TD, but Enho came up through Maezumo, you might have meant Endo?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Possible interesting bout coming up in Makushita. Hokuseiho and Ishizaki are the only undefeated rikishi left both on 6-0 so they'll be paired up in their last match. Has the potential to be a very interesting match up.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
so ready for 14-0 vs 14-0. There's no way they would put them earlier in the tourney, right?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Omnikin posted:

so ready for 14-0 vs 14-0. There's no way they would put them earlier in the tourney, right?

buddy let me tell you about past basho

(but I hope you're right)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Omnikin posted:

Almost assuredly no.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Vargatron posted:

Almost assuredly no.

Yeah, they're the two highest ranked rikishi, so they'll want them to be the final match on the last day.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, they're the two highest ranked rikishi, so they'll want them to be the final match on the last day.

Yeah that makes sense.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, they basically have the 2 highest ranked guys pencilled in for the last match of the last day right from the start. Or more likely they figured the last 3 days would feature all the Y/O matches and schedule the dates based on record.

If they get in trouble it’s usually the other way, where some rando has a great tourney and is like 13-1 alongside the big guns and we wind up getting a match between a 14-0 Yokozuna and a 9-5 Ozeki rather than getting the 13-1 guy in.

Since none of the top guys fight til the end, they’re stuck in a situation where either the rando gets an easy path without fighting the big boys, or they skip the head to head between the stars. Either way is not really ideal for fans…

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

My Day 15 'burn everything to the loving ground' wish:
  • Both Teru and Hak at 14-0, facing each other with zensho-yusho on the line
  • Hak wins via blatant, glorious henka, and smirks at the shimpan as he receives the trophy
  • Hak announces his retirement immediately after
  • The JSA promotes Teru out of pure spite

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

takayasu's not gonna be promoted for next basho but he can get a decent score and put himself in contention for next time. he's also someone i could see the nsk being a bit lenient with if takakeisho can't properly return next basho as he's been ozeki before.

anakha posted:

My Day 15 'burn everything to the loving ground' wish:
  • Both Teru and Hak at 14-0, facing each other with zensho-yusho on the line
  • Hak wins via blatant, glorious henka, and smirks at the shimpan as he receives the trophy
  • Hak announces his retirement immediately after
  • The JSA promotes Teru out of pure spite

a yusho and a 14-1 jun-yusho would be perfectly normal grounds for giving him the rope especially as he had a yusho the basho before that to make ozeki. kisenosato had a yusho and a 12-3 jun-yusho, tho obv we all know a reason why they would've been lenient with him.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 14, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If he can run the table his Ozeki run is most assuredly not over, but he'll still have to do really well and I'm pretty sure I heard someone in the JSA say they have the same expectations for him as anyone else so I don't think anything other than 33 in 3 will do.

That said, I think he's looking good. He's not a dominant powerhouse of a rikishi (IMO) but he finds ways to get the job done. I always approach his bouts with a sense of trepidation, mainly because while he finds ways to pull it out he never just straight up commands the fight like a Hakuho or Teru. Which isn't bad, not everyone is a Hakuho or Teru. Also he's my favourite wrestler so it actually factually saddens me when he loses, and I've been through a bunch of that :(

If he can stay out of his own head when he does well then I think he'll make it back to O for sure.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

He's my fav by far, you can see he's very anxious about whether he wins or loses which is probably his downfall.
also its hilarious we're the same age he looks like he could be my uncle

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Did Kintamayama invent the term "slippiotoshi" because now the announcer is using it

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i think horshoryu might have the best shot at being a future yokozuna out of anyone active aside from terunofuji

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Out of curiousity i checked and yes a zensho-yusho has occured and did not lead to them beconing Yokozuna, it was Ozeki Wakashimazu.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Lid posted:

Out of curiousity i checked and yes a zensho-yusho has occured and did not lead to them beconing Yokozuna, it was Ozeki Wakashimazu.

The first full sumo basho I watched was Goeido's zensho-yusho. Talks of his potential yokozuna run sure did die down fast. :(

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Martytoof posted:

If he can run the table his Ozeki run is most assuredly not over, but he'll still have to do really well and I'm pretty sure I heard someone in the JSA say they have the same expectations for him as anyone else so I don't think anything other than 33 in 3 will do.

That said, I think he's looking good. He's not a dominant powerhouse of a rikishi (IMO) but he finds ways to get the job done. I always approach his bouts with a sense of trepidation, mainly because while he finds ways to pull it out he never just straight up commands the fight like a Hakuho or Teru. Which isn't bad, not everyone is a Hakuho or Teru. Also he's my favourite wrestler so it actually factually saddens me when he loses, and I've been through a bunch of that :(

If he can stay out of his own head when he does well then I think he'll make it back to O for sure.

That’s one thing I really like about Takayasu (other than his hair and sleepy demeanor). He’s not particularly great at any one technique, but he adapts well and is surprisingly fast when he needs to be. A lot of his wins come from a last second twist at the tawara or just disappearing backwards while a pushing opponent falls on his face. It gives excitement to every match but he doesn’t feel like he outright dominates anyone.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Somebody in another thread was talking about how frustrating it must be to be a housecat and realize that you've got the ability to be nature's perfect apex predator but you're just 150lbs too small for it, and it immediately made me think of Enho. :(

Glugglugs
May 30, 2008

( also i'm doing so badly lol )

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Glugglugs posted:

:yeah:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
That Hakuho absolutely could henka Terunofuji on day 15 has to be sitting in his mind. It so easily will be a fight that's over well before the tachiai

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Shiroc posted:

That Hakuho absolutely could henka Terunofuji on day 15 has to be sitting in his mind. It so easily will be a fight that's over well before the tachiai

Terunofuji henka'd Kotoshugiku way back in 2017, driving the final nail into the Giku's attempt to regain his ozeki rank. Admittedly, he was obviously trying to protect his injuries, but he's not above shenanigans.

So, double henka on the last day, followed by all members of the YDC dying of explosive aneurysms.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Double hell with both guys just jumping to the side and staring at each other would be the end of the sport. Not due to dishonor hut just because it won’t be topped so why continue?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Elissimpark posted:

So, double henka on the last day, followed by all members of the YDC dying of explosive aneurysms.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Double hell with both guys just jumping to the side and staring at each other would be the end of the sport. Not due to dishonor hut just because it won’t be topped so why continue?

:sickos:

I'm glad that Takarafuji seems to be coming good. He's a household favourite :unsmith:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Glugglugs posted:

not an empty quote

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Theres a distinct possibility that both fists will go down and neither will launch a tachiai because they think the other will go for a henka and so they just stare at each other forever.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Late score update today. Just want to say that Hoshoryu is really delivering the goods in makuuchi and I'm here for it.

Day 11 standings:

Makuuchi

code:
39.5	Kenning
39	bartolimu
39	captainblastum
38	Lid
37.5	GoatSeeGuy
36.5	Skjorte
36	MyChemicalImbalance
36	whats for dinner
35.5	jmzero
35	Everyones Favorite Poster
34.5	Brut
33.5	Charles Gnarwin
33.5	Dias
33.5	scripterror
33.5	Scythe
33.5	Vargatron
32.5	MalarkeyToboggan
32.5	Pakled
32	Beeswax
32	bessantj
32	Maigius
32	Neodoomium
32	Tiny Bug Child
31.5	Fluffdaddy
31.5	Thauros
31.5	Tochiazuma
31	Banana Canada
30.5	Teddybear
29.5	Chinook
29.5	Jobbo_Fett
29.5	ratmosphere
29	anakha
29	Helianthus Annuus
29	Ice Phisherman
29	pseudodragon
29	sivad
28.5	Biosys
28.5	Khizan
28	Marching Powder
28	Shiroc
27	Liquid Communism
27	QuasiQuack
26.5	Crusty Nutsack
26	Cage Kicker
24	Robviously
Juryo

code:
37	TwoWordName
35.5	KungFu Grip
33	Bellwether
31.5	LlamaTrauma
28.5	Netsky
27.5	Communist Thoughts
27	Halloween Jack
26.5	rare Magic card l00k
24.5	NuclearPotato
23.5	Martytoof
22.5	Eli949
22.5	ilmucche
22	Log082
15.5	Foehammer007
13.5	Glugglugs

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i genuinely think hakuho will attempt to beat teru at whatever game teru wants to play. i also believe the result will be pivotal in hakuho's decision regarding retirement. chris sumo's last couple of vids on hakuho have been incredible. hearing that hakuho is completely unable to extend his arms because his elbows are so completely hosed is staggering, and watching him work with his body to dominate the best rikishi in the world is a privilege.

when i suggested the goonzuke i said it was because i wanted to role play as a perpetually m14 guy. wakaflockaflame has apparently envisioned something much, much darker for me. that's ok. i'll be a force to be reckoned with in juryo.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

i genuinely think hakuho will attempt to beat teru at whatever game teru wants to play.

This is my take on it. Hakuho really seems to care about his role as the gatekeeper to yokozuna, and I don't think he's going to want to henka in the final against a yokozuna candidate. Looks bad, and it's not a true test of their sumo.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
My take? It would be an extremely, extremely Hakuho thing to do if he did a henka on the final day. He's done it before, most notably to Harumafuji.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Ura beating Tochinoshin really bummed me out. I'm happy he got his kachi-koshi and didn't get hurt taking that tumble off of the dohyo though! Maybe not quite as happy as him :haw:

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 15, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

whats for dinner posted:

Ura beating Tochinoshin really bummed me out. I'm happy he got his kachi-koshi and didn't get hurt taking that tumble off of the dohyo though! Maybe not quite as happy as him :haw:

The smile was great, he's so happy to be alive

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kiribayama and Takayasu was about 2 hours long I think.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

So if a guest from the Juryo beats their Makuuchi opponent, is that a factor on if/how much they get promoted?
If a Makuuchi loses to a Juryo opponent, does that also weigh heavily on their rank?

Also my wife's favorite now is Kotonowaka, because he has "boobs on top of his boobs".

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Takuan posted:

Also my wife's favorite now is Kotonowaka, because he has "boobs on top of his boobs".

It runs in the family

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Kotonowaka and Hoshoryu are my two new favs from this cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Maybe just his dad's side: