Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
1. Nothing

2. Wasting time, gas, and money driving to and from the office

3. Would toss the waste of time, gas, and money driving to and from the office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
1. The end of the work day. Going home.

2. Whether I'll be forced to wear a mask because of my measles. Or do something about my bed bug infestation.

3. Making molotovs. Which I would like to toss.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
For those who started work during the wfh period, could you claim the need to come into the office is a change in working conditions and therefore needs to be compensated? Assuming they didn't put 'mist come into the office' on your contract. Or maybe since it's been an ongoing thing, the employer has defacto accepted it as a change in conditions or something.

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
My employer would toss that argument out and ramble off a line about the savings we get WFH by not paying for gas or spending an hour in traffic. This still misses the part where i bought office furniture and still provide internet/electric for my work laptop and monitors which offsets that financial burden. But yeah, basically they're treating it like we should have been ready to be back in the office this entire time at a moment's notice. Anybody who had difficulty teleworking was expected to go into the office immediately to use the network.

Don't get me wrong, my employer has been very good about covid. They're going to allow folks to telework 3 or 4 days a week still. They haven't dragged us back into the office yet because they want to see if the delta variant causes a fourth wave. BUT they aren't mincing their words that telework is a trade-off that is a benefit to us and one that can be taken away at supervisor discretion.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

My boss hasn't let me work from home the entire pandemic. Yesterday, the building's internet was out. Instead of letting me even go work fun my phone in the Starbucks parking lot or go home and work from my own laptop, he made me sit at my desk and do literally nothing for 8 hours. Anyway I'm interviewing for a WFH job for a fully remote company and I'm not giving notice when I leave because my boss told me "well, you're fully vaccinated so you shouldn't wear a mask in the office to encourage others to get vaccinated."

I'm gonna wear my full respirator every day until I get out.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Outrail posted:

For those who started work during the wfh period, could you claim the need to come into the office is a change in working conditions and therefore needs to be compensated? Assuming they didn't put 'mist come into the office' on your contract. Or maybe since it's been an ongoing thing, the employer has defacto accepted it as a change in conditions or something.

Companies have already tried to pay employees *less* during the pandemic specifically because they didn't have the expenses of a commute. Ruthless shits

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I understand in real tech depts Agile Coaches may have a purpose but we hired a pile of them and they quickly ran out of stuff to do and our response was "hire more" so they loudly search for ways to occupy their time. One has begun forwarding routine Google Suite update notices to the entire organization with notes of how these might be useful. Are you trying to claim credit for new Google Meet features?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I will laugh my rear end off when multiple companies collapse overnight while bringing in good revenue because they were dicks about WFH.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I understand in real tech depts Agile Coaches may have a purpose but we hired a pile of them and they quickly ran out of stuff to do and our response was "hire more" so they loudly search for ways to occupy their time. One has begun forwarding routine Google Suite update notices to the entire organization with notes of how these might be useful. Are you trying to claim credit for new Google Meet features?

As an Agile Coach I can tell you that there are a ton of really bad coaches out there.

Also I would guess that they ran out of stuff to do because senior management didn't want to hear anything they had to say. This happens a lot.

Managers: "Make us more agile"

Coaches: "OK well first you need to let go of command and control style management, trust your workers to get the job done and start giving them the environment and support they need"

Managers: "Not like that, just make the teams deliver everything faster"

Coaches: "Well if this agility adoption is going to be successful then everyone in the company, including managers, have to have an agile mindset"

Managers: "I don't want to talk to you anymore"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

As an Agile Coach I can tell you that there are a ton of really bad coaches out there.

Yeah I suspected our requirements for becoming an Agile Coach were below industry standards when a not great coworker began a short online program and within a week starting bringing up their new Agile Coaching qualification. It felt like the King of the Hill when Peggy does an online test and is given a doctoral degree to print out.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I suspected our requirements for becoming an Agile Coach were below industry standards when a not great coworker began a short online program and within a week starting bringing up their new Agile Coaching qualification. It felt like the King of the Hill when Peggy does an online test and is given a doctoral degree to print out.

There are so many grifters in the field now and it sucks. Every random stupid rear end in a top hat on LinkedIn is trying to create their own special worthless agile certifications that are only $2,000 per person.

Add on top of this that hiring managers mostly have no idea what to look for in a Scrum Master or Product Owner or Agile Coach and it makes it really hard for good coaches to get noticed and hired above the rest of the randos.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Elephant Ambush posted:

Scrum Master or Product Owner or Agile Coach

Do you remember when words were used to communicate meaning, instead of to baffle people into thinking that you were doing something special and different?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Scientastic posted:

Do you remember when words were used to communicate meaning, instead of to baffle people into thinking that you were doing something special and different?

frankly? no

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Titles that mean nothing to "outsiders" have always been a thing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

goatface posted:

Titles that mean nothing to "outsiders" have always been a thing.

These barely mean anything to insiders too, though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Scientastic posted:

I can assure you those titles make sense in context and were not intentionally created to confuse people into thinking we're all very special

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

I can assure you those titles make sense in context and were not intentionally created to confuse people into thinking we're all very special

Lol I checked and we are actively hiring for all those roles. We have postings for fifteen Scrum masters.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol I checked and we are actively hiring for all those roles. We have postings for fifteen Scrum masters.

from Wikipedia: "Scrum is a framework utilizing an agile mindset for developing, delivering, and sustaining products in a complex environment, with an initial emphasis on software development, although it has been used in other fields including research, sales, marketing and advanced technologies."

What the gently caress is that even supposed to mean? Is this a fuckwit word for project manager?

Why not just say 'We need a project manager who can work within and promote an Agile working environment'?

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Outrail posted:

from Wikipedia: "Scrum is a framework utilizing an agile mindset for developing, delivering, and sustaining products in a complex environment, with an initial emphasis on software development, although it has been used in other fields including research, sales, marketing and advanced technologies."

What the gently caress is that even supposed to mean? Is this a fuckwit word for project manager?

Why not just say 'We need a project manager who can work within and promote an Agile working environment'?

in my experience a scrum master is not a pm. a scrum master focuses more on way of working and process improvement, mostly how you deliver.

whereas a pm/po deals more with deciding what work should be worked on re: prioritizing, communicating with stakeholders, getting dependencies worked on, and telling people who try to circumvent our request processes to gently caress off, so mostly what you deliver.

though distributions of responsibilities are always different everywhere, so this being true for me doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 14, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

Project management is antithetical to agility. Agile organizations do not have that title.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Is it so hard for people to just do their projects and tasks that they need of this commie gobbledygook

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

AHH F/UGH posted:

Is it so hard for people to just do their projects and tasks that they need of this commie gobbledygook

Actually yes and it's because most companies have tons of bureaucracy, not enough people to get everything done, too many wasteful meetings, and make people do multiple jobs at once, among other things.

Agility tries to address all of these things to varying degrees of success.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Scrum masters are the new Six Sigma Green/Black Belts and I won't hear otherwise

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Project management is antithetical to agility. Agile organizations do not have that title.

Project management is basically necessary for a large organization to function. It's a complement to Agile, not a substitute.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Actually yes and it's because most companies have tons of bureaucracy, not enough people to get everything done, too many wasteful meetings, and make people do multiple jobs at once, among other things.

My MegaCorp's management embrace of Agile has been most visible in twice weekly "standup" meetings with teams that sit near us but have no work overlap (making this fundamentally pointless), so we share what we're working on and then all 30 people must express gratitude for something. Some employees have enough sense to mention one quick thing they are working on and thankful for, others decide to go into exhaustive detail for upwards of five minutes about how busy they are then for their gratitude we get a breakdown of why it is important this specific crossfit trainer left their gym and What's Wrong With the New Coach. Did I mention there are 30 people in these meetings?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

I guess zero is technically a degree, yes.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Once a day I have to pull a bunch of stuff from like four tabs and use the snipping tool to drop pictures of the information into a PowerPoint. My laptop somehow struggles with this and I can’t get a new one.

Bitch, my laptop struggles with Teams. Forget blurred background, just video. Guess what we do 4h per day since March '20?
And forget not being on AC. The battery lasts 30min of a Teams meeting.

I'm not sure if I should blame MS or the morons of IT who gave me this PoS.

Anyway, new job, new me, new laptop incoming.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

WonkyBob posted:

I feel compelled to ask. Why do they need a 49" monitor?

The dude likely has a micropenis and is compensating. Did I mention my 11"... laptop?

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I just quit a data entry position where everyone had to fill out a weekly excel spreadsheet detailing why they didn't "meet quota" on whichever days. So for instance, if you were training someone and had to spend most of your shift doing that instead of your own work, this was something that apparently needed to be justified via a spreadsheet in case you only did 9 orders one day instead of 10.

"Jean Fridays" with a fun twist! At the start of the week someone would pick a color and everyone would try to match on Friday? (wtf) Oh and apparently before covid you had to pay for the privilege to sit at your desk in jeans one day a week. In a department that never leaves or sees anyone outside the company or even their department.

You had the responsibilities of management with the pay of entry level. You were required to babysit the sales department any time they made mistakes, which was on about 1/3 of orders. They didn't submit paperwork or bother to get a signature from the customer? Now you get to put the job in "Data Entry: Status Attention Needed" and it shows up on a report tied to YOU every day until resolved. And yes this often meant calling customers from data entry, a department they have never interacted with or developed rapport with.

Not to mention, this entire department was able to work from home until about three months ago when they were forced back. There was not a single part of this job that needed you to be in office, which was proven by them working from home for over a year. Multiple coworkers vocally complained about this during my time there, but they were mostly met with condescending remarks from their bootlicking coworkers who were apparently more than happy to go back to spending more money on gas, food, laundry, childcare, etc.

I would rather work at a loving gas station, and I very well might be soon.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lmao I implemented 'Agile' on my team. All I did was break my once weekly team meeting into 4 15 minute meetings in the morning and throw out my schedule.

So far, so good. I'm a scrum master now.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

I guess zero is technically a degree, yes.

Nah there have been tons of successful agile adoptions in the last 20 years and most of the failures are because the people at the top don't want to make the necessary big structural and cultural changes to enable it.

The rest are usually because of bad coaches pretending they know more than they do because they bought one or more certifications.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lmao I implemented 'Agile' on my team. All I did was break my once weekly team meeting into 4 15 minute meetings in the morning and throw out my schedule.

So far, so good. I'm a scrum master now.

Wow, how many Agile Coaches did you have to hire to tell you how to do that?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I'm just reading all this thinking... what the gently caress is Agile

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Agile is true name magic for business. If you call people Scrum Masters instead of Project Managers they're suddenly able to work twice as hard for half the pay.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

McGavin posted:

Agile is true name magic for business. If you call people Scrum Masters instead of Project Managers they're suddenly able to work twice as hard for half the pay.

I make 20% more now actually lmao.

I just texted the project manager in charge of the scrum master list and got added as an early adopter so we get to do whatever we want until the official roll out happens.

I don't use tickets or anything, I just move tasks around on my burndown tracker and send out charts to management. It's awesome for now.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 14, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I'm just reading all this thinking... what the gently caress is Agile

Same, I still don't really get what it is beyond managing projects for people who don't want to be called a project manager.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nah there have been tons of successful agile adoptions in the last 20 years and most of the failures are because the people at the top don't want to make the necessary big structural and cultural changes to enable it.

The rest are usually because of bad coaches pretending they know more than they do because they bought one or more certifications.

No True Scrum Master!

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I feel like we're living in a dystopian future. Wtf is agile and scrums. A scrum is a loving rugby term.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I feel like we're living in a dystopian future. Wtf is agile and scrums. A scrum is a loving rugby term.

"A scrum is a method of restarting play in rugby football that involves players packing closely together with their heads down and attempting to gain possession of the ball."

I'm guessing it's similar, but the ball is a higher-paying job.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Agile is like, you break a project into meaningful parts and work on those in order of importance (which requires constant contact with the client). You show the client every time you implement every meaningful part instead of handing them a finished product a year down the line, so that they can communicate whether you've met their expectation or not. There's no design documents because requirements can change as needed (maybe a business process has changed).

E: My beef with Agile is that managers/owners/whatever the gently caress you want to call the people above the rank and file, always capitulate to whatever demands the client makes, and it's really frustrating to work on several parts of a system only to have requirements for one drastically change four weeks in and you find yourself having to rework a bunch of interdependent parts. Basically, gently caress the client.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scrum masters are hookers

IT IS A RUGBY JOKE