Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

For some reason I really like the smell of pipe tobacco.

Even when I was a little kid and hated going out anywhere being surrounded by smokers*, I thought it smelled nice.

* I'm old enough to remember ashtrays, not just in cars, but in cinema seats.

poo poo, I remember McDonalds ashtrays. Your parents would send you up to the counter to grab straws, napkins and tinfoil ashtrays.

I remember a time when pews in churches had ash trays in them, being someone that grew up in The South and was forced to attend by family until I was old enough to live on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Platystemon posted:

The FAA requires that airplane lavatories have ash trays.

§25.853 Compartment interiors.

(g) Regardless of whether smoking is allowed in any other part of the airplane, lavatories must have self-contained, removable ashtrays located conspicuously on or near the entry side of each lavatory door, except that one ashtray may serve more than one lavatory door if the ashtray can be seen readily from the cabin side of each lavatory served.

Even when it was socially acceptable, it seems really stupid to have allowed smoking on planes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Did an airplane cigarette fire ever forced a landing?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even when it was socially acceptable, it seems really stupid to have allowed smoking on planes.

Hindenburg flexed on nature by featuring a smoking lounge.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Platystemon posted:

Hindenburg flexed on nature by featuring a smoking lounge.

That actually makes sense, you need to have the fire area isolated from the flammable areas.
And people back then expected to smoke pretty much on every vehicle.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

By popular demand posted:

That actually makes sense, you need to have the fire area isolated from the flammable areas.
And people back then expected to smoke pretty much on every vehicle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Florida_Flight_90

When the Air Florida flight crashed in the Potomac, the only survivors were a flight attendant and 4 passengers. All 4 of the passengers were seated in the tail of the plane, the smoking section.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believen hospitals in the US weren't required to be smoke-free until 1993.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

By popular demand posted:

Did an airplane cigarette fire ever forced a landing?

Yes, and the death of 123 people.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
yeah whenever I see signs that are vehemently anti-vaping I just think that compared to actual cigarettes, it's so, so much better to be around

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cigarettes make me seriously want to vomit. Even being near someone smoking is enough to set me off.

However, unburnt pipe tobacco is one of the most heavenly scents in the world. There's no nostalgia attached, it's just amazing.

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed
Feels like this sums up the Reagan era.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Glottis posted:

yeah whenever I see signs that are vehemently anti-vaping I just think that compared to actual cigarettes, it's so, so much better to be around
It's not an either or, you can ban both

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Fun fact: in the early days of English speaking people smoking tobacco before they called it smoking, they called it "drinking tobacco"

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Did everyone just smell loving disgusting all the time?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, if you hate the smell of tobacco, just smoke until you can't smell anything! Everyone wins!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

As a nonsmoker who went to a highschool where pretty much everybody smoked: YES every one smelled awful every day.

And later in life I had a job collecting recyclables, there's nothing like the peculiar smell of wet cigarettes mixed with cheap wine.:barf:

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Jul 14, 2021

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
tobacco smoke enemas

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Stale cigarette smoke and sticky floors are basically what all my favorite bars were in my early 20's. Now every single bar looks and feels like an Applebee's but with trashier people. Need that cigarette smoke stinging your eyes to wash out all the stupid poo poo bars put up on their walls.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Applebee's with trashier people is a close approximation of my daily experience.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I remember when the indoor smoking ban came in in Ireland there were dire predictions that every pub would go bankrupt overnight because drinking without smoking was literally impossible, and are you going to be the one to tell old Michael that after coming in every day for 40 years he suddenly can't smoke his pipe anymore???

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

deoju posted:

Did everyone just smell loving disgusting all the time?

Yes, but this was also broadly due to lack of meaningful hygiene and sanitation.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's really funny when youngsters see stuff like Wonder Woman 84 and Stranger Things and think the 80s were squeaky clean with splashes of neon.

Nah man. Everything was dirty. Dirty as balls. French Quarter on Ash Wednesday morning dirty. All the time.

Everyone reeked of cigarettes and Budweiser and trash was so thick in city streets it was like walking in 8" of snow, but garbage.

All that 90s stuff you remember like the recycling logo and the jingle and the constant PSAs and Captain Planet and the big Earth Day celebrations were a reaction to how appallingly filthy american cities were.

The 70s and 80s were just unfathomably loving gross.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The Deuce on HBO did a pretty good job of showing how filthy things were in the 70's/80's New York. I remember thinking how much of a pain it must have been to get all that garbage set up and then cleaned after every day of shooting :v:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I believen hospitals in the US weren't required to be smoke-free until 1993.

My wife's grandmother was a nurse in a large hospital in the 1970's and 80's. She said she and another nurse would do rounds with their assigned doctor each morning. One nurse would carry a stack of patient charts, and the other would hold the doctor's cigarette in the hallway for him to take drags off of in between patient rooms.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Good of her to let us know she’s available but also warn us that she is absolutely psychotic

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Are you sure that isn't just the soldier's right arm?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

So this actually happened, you're not just blowing smoke up my rear end

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Phy posted:

Yes

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I have trained my brain so well that it took me only a moment to read this cursive as 'cummy life'.

:unsmith:It gives one a real sense of accomplishment.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, Army Wives do indeed live that "Cummy Life" . So not too far off

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

What the hell is a Cirmy Wife? Is this some fetish I haven't heard of?

e:

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, Army Wives do indeed live that "Cummy Life" . So not too far off

ohhhhhhhhhh

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I had no idea "Don't try to blow smoke up my rear end" referred to a real practice.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Phy posted:

Not only was it a commonplace thing, it is where that expression comes from. It was an obvious snake-oil panacea bullshit practice that became synonymous with falsehood in general.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/blow_smoke_up_someone%27s_ass

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Phanatic posted:

I had no idea "Don't try to blow smoke up my rear end" referred to a real practice.
Yeah things haven't changed much. Instead of blowing tobacco smoke up someone's butt they just blow the tobacco

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Yeah things haven't changed much. Instead of blowing tobacco smoke up someone's butt they just blow the tobacco

At least two of those examples are enormous assholes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Glottis posted:

Yeah, vaping is a much better alternative for bystanders. If vaping were just as dangerous as regular smoking to the smoker, it's still a net win because it doesn't make the area smell like an astray, linger or get in anyone's clothes. Cigarette smokers are inherently selfish people.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Counterpoint: put on a leather jacket and slouch against a brick wall and a cigarette makes you look real cool

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

canyoneer posted:

At least two of those examples are enormous assholes
lol okay you got me there 😋

Also I was a smoker for years and I switched to juul and now am far less stinky