Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The current Microprose has nothing to do with the original, it's an Atari/Infogrames situation. Hell, the current license holder bought the Microprose name from Infogrames lol
Difference between nu-Atari and nu-Microprose is that the latter is actually doing good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

more like no-microprose because when i see a microprose game i yell "nooooo" and run away

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

Also, Super Robot Wars is an extremely good series because unlike most video game crossovers where its like 'oh no, we have all been teleported to this place...' the conceit of the super robot wars series is that all the series take place in the same world and their plots are happening simultaneously and influence each other. So you get twenty mecha anime plots happening at once and the writing gets exactly as ridiculous as it sounds, but they usually do a pretty good job stringing it all together into a coherent and satisfying experience with some cool thematic beats. its way more interesting than the alternative because it actually lets them play with the concepts and themes of the shows they're working with and make some pretty major plot changes rather than just the characters being tossed into a void to talk at each other.

its also good because if you dont like a show itll often work way better when its bouncing off a dozen other shows and having its plot shifted around by them.

also super robot wars t inexplicably was a game about an office worker realizing shes bi and using a giant robot to beat up her sexist boss, and also cowboy bebop and g gundam were there.

Another thing is that you do not need to know any of the series going in. I mean, basic knowledge helps, but the plots usually ease you into the respective series, and the games usually come with a big encyclopedia that goes over the major plot beats of the shows anyway.

And yes, SRW at its best can make you reevaluate shows or characters that you thought you did not like. Take Van from Gun X Sword. I went from "This guy is basically edgelord Vash the Stampede from Trigun" to "This guy is basically John F Kennedy from Clone High", and it actually makes me want to give the show a fair shake one of these days.

EDIT: If you are like me and half expected this to be too good to be true and was waiting for the other shoe to drop, Bandai Namco US themselves just verified :ItsHappening:

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/1415310563035471876?s=20

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 14, 2021

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
CHEEEEEEEST!!!!!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

goferchan posted:

This honestly looks pretty cool lol. I love the detailed yet cartoony mega-tanks; it's got a Metal Slug feel to it. Is the game basically just turn based RPG battles interspersed with social RPG "walk around your base building relationships with people" stuff?

Turn based rpg battles with some management in-between. Besides the social stuff you also upgrade the tank, fish for resources, prepare meals, tend to the farm inside the tank, let the kids explore around, etc...

It all upgrades the kids and the tank but you only have so many action points between fights, have to decide what gets done.

The channel I linked has trailer videos on all the gameplay systems.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 14, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Company of Heroes 3 feels very much like Company of Heroes. Never liked it personally but I know many people do, reminds me too much of WW2 Starcraft.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
That game looks interesting but I would definitely be the kind of lameo who would rather reload the game than stuff a single child into the cannon.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Det_no posted:

Hey look, it's that upcoming game about children piloting a gigantic tank to save their families from the notNazis. People are highly anticipating this one.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1357860/Fuga_Melodies_of_Steel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbjXMMH0JzI

And then, if you are bad at games, you sacrifice one of the children to power up the tank's super weapon with their soul while everyone else wonders what's happening and where did their friend go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rffeZQZ5s

You are not bad at games, are you?

Woah, this looks great! Kind of amazing that CyberConnect2 is finally getting to make a sequel to Tail Concerto after working in the licensed game mines for 25 years.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I haven't followed SRW closely in ages, but my god, who did what to that Huckebein?!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Det_no posted:

Hey look, it's that upcoming game about children piloting a gigantic tank to save their families from the notNazis. People are highly anticipating this one.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1357860/Fuga_Melodies_of_Steel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbjXMMH0JzI

And then, if you are bad at games, you sacrifice one of the children to power up the tank's super weapon with their soul while everyone else wonders what's happening and where did their friend go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rffeZQZ5s

You are not bad at games, are you?

That mechanic sounds eerily like how Zearth is powered in Bokurano

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rek1TzX2vw

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm a little sad that this SRW doesn't have Eva, Gunbuster or Cowboy Bebop.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

How in the world did they manage to untangle the 30 year old tangle of spaghetti that is the SRW licensing hell? I did not think that was going to happen like, ever.

I'm pretty sure most of that is because there's no Macross stuff in this one so they don't have to deal with Harmony Gold being poop from a butt.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The United States posted:

Mechanically, sure, but the superweapon powered by killing small children feels even more ill-conceived than Bioshock, really

They're animals not little kids

Endorph posted:

update, the super robot wars 30 trailer got posted to bandai namco's eu channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_c31zgcgT8

with the end edited to say 'pc - digital only'

so yeah,.

It's really hard to even tell what kind of game this is from the trailer. Is it, like, a turn based robot fighting game? JRPG kind of thing? Or is there live action?

Had my eye on this one after seeing someone play a bit on youtube. Definitely picking it up.

Haha yep we were talking about how this happened to me yesterday. If anyone is curious, I was able to keep playing the game thankfully, so far it was only that infamous cutscene which introduces the bug girls that caused the problem. Although my issues was WAY worse than the example in this video, it was literally hardly moving at all.

Funny to think that maybe having the cracked version is what allowed me to get through it at all, lol

I also didn't know that the Denuvo version of DMC5 had approximately 93% of the performance of the Denuvo-less version.

Play fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 14, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Play posted:

It's really hard to even tell what kind of game this is from the trailer. Is it, like, a turn based robot fighting game? JRPG kind of thing? Or is there live action?

Tactics RPG (think Fire Emblem or Advance Wars) with giant mechs and ludicrously over-animated attack sequences. I guess they're banking on the people who are interested being those who already know about the series at this stage, so they're mostly just showing off which robots are going to be in the game.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 14, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jagged Jim posted:

I'm pretty sure most of that is because there's no Macross stuff in this one so they don't have to deal with Harmony Gold being poop from a butt.

They got owned out of court forever actually

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Play posted:

They're animals not little kids

They're kids.

I didn't realize it, but apparently Cyberconnect2 has been a big part of the Japanese furry community for years and years. They publish a lot of zines and art books, funded by all the .hack and Naruto games they make for different publishers.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Play posted:

I also didn't know that the Denuvo version of DMC5 had approximately 93% of the performance of the Denuvo-less version.

That was with them running the game at like 640x480 to force a CPU bottleneck, in practice there wasn't really any difference once you loaded up the GPU

Denuvo is a big YMMV because the performance hit depends on how it's implemented in the game, RE8 is the worst implementation we've seen in a long time

The least they can do is patch it out now that it's been cracked anyway

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Also looks like Micropose has another flight sim I'd missed, between this and Carrier Command 2 they're really going for that early 90s PC game aesthetic, huh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi-9YJXzzJo

God I loved the old NovaLogic flight 'sims' so this is all of my poo poo.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I'm a few hours into Yakuza 3 (supposedly the "bad one") and I'm actually quite enjoying it so far. Kiryu just chilling and giving life lessons to orphans feels like a nice coda to Yaks 0-2. What has me a bit on edge, however, is that Yakky 3 opens with:

Can someone just spoil for me what events/characters this could refer to (if anything)? I'm sort of dreading what's in this game that even a Japanese developer would go "oh drat this is regressive". Is there a lovely sidestory I should avoid?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thankfully never ran into this issue, hopefully Capcom patches out the DRM.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I'm not sure it refers to anything in particular, it's more of a blanket disclaimer alongside the usual "the events depicted do not depict any real persons or events" kind of thing. Given that it's a game about thugs and criminals, there's going to be nasty poo poo in there about people being victimized for reasons normal people wouldn't consider fair (neither today nor in 2009, really). I think there was one controversial side story in 3, but that was removed in the remaster IIRC? Overall the Yakuza games have never really portrayed drugs, racism, sexism etc. as good so much as a thing that happens, especially when criminal lowlifes are involved.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm not sure it refers to anything in particular, it's more of a blanket disclaimer alongside the usual "the events depicted do not depict any real persons or events" kind of thing. Given that it's a game about thugs and criminals, there's going to be nasty poo poo in there about people being victimized for reasons normal people wouldn't consider fair (neither today nor in 2009, really). I think there was one controversial side story in 3, but that was removed in the remaster IIRC? Overall the Yakuza games have never really portrayed drugs, racism, sexism etc. as good so much as a thing that happens, especially when criminal lowlifes are involved.

I see, thanks. I just don't remember the other games having a content warning like that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lol overall and I'm not discounting what they're saying here but I love how like 75% of this video is side-by-side comparisons showing how much worse the uncracked version runs, with the cracked version running at 117fps and the uncracked version stuttering constantly between 115 and 117fps. I lost it and had to stop watching after the clip at 3:55. It's a full 20 seconds of... the two versions running identically.

(Yeah I did watch enough to see that there are a few specific events that elicit stutters with the uncracked version)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 14, 2021

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Trickyblackjack posted:

I'm a few hours into Yakuza 3 (supposedly the "bad one") and I'm actually quite enjoying it so far. Kiryu just chilling and giving life lessons to orphans feels like a nice coda to Yaks 0-2. What has me a bit on edge, however, is that Yakky 3 opens with:

Can someone just spoil for me what events/characters this could refer to (if anything)? I'm sort of dreading what's in this game that even a Japanese developer would go "oh drat this is regressive". Is there a lovely sidestory I should avoid?

There was one substory in Yakuza 3 that was removed from the remaster because even the devs said it wasn't funny and pretty transphobic. Otherwise I... think it's just the usual stuff associated with gangsters?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

deep dish peat moss posted:

(Yeah I did watch enough to see that there are a few specific events that elicit stutters with the uncracked version)

The specific events of combat actions

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lol overall and I'm not discounting what they're saying here but I love how like 75% of this video is side-by-side comparisons showing how much worse the uncracked version runs, with the cracked version running at 117fps and the uncracked version stuttering constantly between 115 and 117fps. I lost it and had to stop watching after the clip at 3:55

did you miss the part 40 seconds in where the legit version tanks to 30fps when a maiden shows up while the cracked version doesn't skip a beat

the game freezing for a tenth of a second when certain combat events happen isn't exactly ideal either

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There was one substory in Yakuza 3 that was removed from the remaster because even the devs said it wasn't funny and pretty transphobic. Otherwise I... think it's just the usual stuff associated with gangsters?

There's an added substory where Kiryu encourages a transwoman to believe in herself.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Ugly In The Morning posted:

FPS, Dying Light for sure. If you want to go TPS, Days Gone. Or State of Decay 2 if you want to trade story and combat for more survival type stuff

Dying light was so, so good. I enjoyed the poo poo out of it. I played it over a really long time and kept on coming back to it. I eventually finished the main campaign and moved onto the DLC 'The Following' and am about 3/4 of the way through that too. If you're on the fence, PLEASE try this game. It's so good. (Note: dlc is supposed to be played after the main game, it's harder and expects you to have levelled a lot)

Unlucky7 posted:

oh god damnit I think I need to restart prey because I have no idea what I was doing gently caress

It's your first playthrough. Carry on playing! It's a good enough game that one day you'll want to play it again I think.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

repiv posted:

did you miss the part 40 seconds in where the legit version tanks to 30fps when a maiden shows up while the cracked version doesn't skip a beat

the game freezing for a tenth of a second when certain combat events happen isn't exactly ideal either

I didn't miss that at all, I'm laughing at how the majority of the video is footage showing the uncracked version having no issues

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lol overall and I'm not discounting what they're saying here but I love how like 75% of this video is side-by-side comparisons showing how much worse the uncracked version runs, with the cracked version running at 117fps and the uncracked version stuttering constantly between 115 and 117fps. I lost it and had to stop watching after the clip at 3:55. It's a full 20 seconds of... the two versions running identically.

The stutter is what they are talking about every time they are comparing the cracked and untracked versions. FPS doesn’t take a huge hit most of the time, but if you watch the frametimes there’s usually a huge jump for a short period. In-game that’s going to be very noticeable.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 14, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah the really transphobic stuff was removed from the remaster afaik. Also I liked 3 better than 4 actually. So far 5 is great

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I didn't miss that at all, I'm laughing at how the majority of the video is footage showing the uncracked version having no issues
If they didn't show that people would be making GBS threads on them for selective editing and how actually most of the time the uncracked version runs fine.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Trickyblackjack posted:

I see, thanks. I just don't remember the other games having a content warning like that.

I think at least the 4 and 5 remasters have the same warning, but I don't remember for sure.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not disagreeing with their analysis of RE8's performance on the cracked and uncracked versions, I am chuckling at the poorly edited video that rarely highlights what they're talking about, which is funny to me because it makes their use of a video instead of a written medium to explain this dumb. Okay I've made three posts about why I think that video was funny now, if you don't understand my viewpoint by now there's no point in me continuing because it was just a "lol [explanation of why I lol'd]"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 14, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Were you watching with the sound off? When they show footage of the versions performing identically, they’re talking about how the majority of the time it performs fine. In fact the transition quote is

quote:

The cracked version of the game behaves identically to the official drmed version for much of the experience, but unfortunately when the problems start they are difficult to ignore.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Weird question (maybe an FPS thread would be the right place to ask, if we have one?)

I watching youtubers play through very difficult Doom mods. And there's a weird rhythm to their movement (not circle strafing, but, for example, circling a big room in a jerky and stuttery fashion) that's presumably meant to throw off monster aim. Is there a name \ tutorial for that?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Xander77 posted:

Weird question (maybe an FPS thread would be the right place to ask, if we have one?)

I watching youtubers play through very difficult Doom mods. And there's a weird rhythm to their movement (not circle strafing, but, for example, circling a big room in a jerky and stuttery fashion) that's presumably meant to throw off monster aim. Is there a name \ tutorial for that?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790 go here! But it's manipulating movement and baiting/avoiding melee attacks, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Found something weird/interesting while cruising the Neverwinter Nights modules:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2426848586

I'm going to install and check this out soon. I love the audacity of making a modern day adventure in the NVN engine.

whaaat. Please report back after you've looked into this, I'm fascinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

ABB - Always Be Baiting (their hungry mouths)