Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

They didn't even sneak it in, they literally said "hey, run our bitcoin miner and we'll pay you back in SMNC funny money".

Also while MNC was definitely better than SMNC, I remember the balance being pretty shaky. And then SMNC came along and poo poo the bed as hard as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Overbite posted:

I miss Tribes Ascend and I'm not ashamed.

i loved tribes ascend and i was very upset when they abandoned it forever for a hosed up moba

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I liked Monday Night Combat at launch (even single player was enjoyable) and loves Tribes Ascend too. Hell, Section 8 Prejudice had an awful name but was really cool. Shame that the dev got hosed by Aliens Gearbox Prickford Marines and they closed down.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
🤔

https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1415093172691038209

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Powerslave EX? (proper and legal release of the saturn* one I mean)

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 14, 2021

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

WHERE'S SYSTEM SHOCK, STEVEN>???

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Guillermus posted:

Powerslave EX? (proper and legal release of the saturn* one I mean)

Holy crap please!!!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"But we have Powerslave at home"

Powerslave at home:

https://www.gog.com/game/powerslave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAAD4Dt6BG8

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260020/PowerSlave_DOS_Classic_Edition/

wishlist now!!!

oh

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll pass on that DOS release. (got GOG version already)

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Guillermus posted:

I'll pass on that DOS release. (got GOG version already)

Any major differences between the two?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Any major differences between the two?
Between the GOG and Steam releases? They're the same package of the old DOS version.

Between this DOS version and the console version that Night Dive are messing with? More or less entirely different games.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've never played Powerslave. Was it remarkable for anything? Did it do x feature before Duke3D, Quake or HL1?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Turin Turambar posted:

I've never played Powerslave. Was it remarkable for anything? Did it do x feature before Duke3D, Quake or HL1?

DFRetro did a thing on it. I remember the DOS version being pretty whatever back when it came out in the 90s, but I know Saturn kids love it.

https://youtu.be/HCsO8O4W4Fw

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

Also while MNC was definitely better than SMNC, I remember the balance being pretty shaky. And then SMNC came along and poo poo the bed as hard as possible.

If I remember right Tank was OP but nobody seemed to be able to play him right. I played Gunner which was probably busted too but I just liked his abilities.

TheScott2K posted:

Opposing Force was Half-Life 2. Half-Life 2 is Half-Life 3.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I know Powerslave as "the game Epic doom got its graphics from" and I'm interested to see how it actually plays.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

The PC version was a fairly unremarkable early BUILD engine game. The Saturn version was very different, with its own custom engine allowing for more complex level geometry, and a less linear game flow where you go back and forth between different levels using powerups from later stages to progress down new routes in old ones. Sort of a proto-Metroid Prime in that regard!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Yeah, the Saturn version of Powerslave was surprisingly ambitious and the Metroid Prime comparison isn't far off. The PC version is just a kinda-primitive Build game that's fun on its own but feels hugely compromised by comparison.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I beat Black Mesa after taking a break partway through Xen last year. I thought people were exaggerating about it being incredibly long but nope... final opinion on it is that it's a cool game on its own but not a great remake of HL1. Highlights were surface tension and the music (minus the rocky tracks like theone for we've got hostiles). I also liked the texturing and design of the Xen chapters, and the fast runs from gonarch/gargantuas were fun, but the gameplay of plugging in two dozen power cables was awful. That could have been cut way back.

Playing more HL1 mods now and was happy to find there's at least one active community of mappers. I beat TWHL Tower, which is made by ~10 people. The player scales a tower floor by floor, each floor being a micro-level by a single mapper. I've always liked small constraint Quake map jams that force mappers to be creative and this is similar. The maps aren't great (there are a few real stinkers imo...) but it's a nice conceit that allows for a good variety of joke levels, action segments, and design showcases. TWHL Tower only takes 30m to an hour to run through and it'll set you up for the (so far) much improved sequel...

TWHL Tower 2 where you go back DOWN the tower. So far I'm halfway through and it's great. This pack came out in late 2020 and has twice the levels and from what I can see twice the effort put in to it. It's a great mix of action, horror, puzzles, and comedy. It's helped a lot by the mappers having a bit more vertical room for this one. One of the levels is a miniature version of the events of Half Life. Highly recommend checking this map pack out just to see that one.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah TWHL Tower 1 and 2 are both really good. One of the level designers for 2 even showed up when I was streaming it and that was neat to talk to them for a bit.

My only complaint, if that, is that some of the puzzle floors of 2 are perhaps a bit too difficult but then again I could just be bad.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There's a handful of BM's tracks that I feel a pretty good, mostly hte more lowkey, atmospheric setting ones. The rock tracks are hit and miss though. Sometimes they can slam, like one or two during Surface Tension, but mostly they seem stupidly out of place, like the one track in Blast Pit after you return from turning on the power and gas. The Xen tracks though. Wow I....kind of hate all of them. The overused wailing vocals makes me want to grind my teeth, as if the awful pacing and each level far outstaying its welcome doesn't already.

Still weirdly interested in what Crowbar Collective is gonna do next. Another HL themed thing? Another remake? Something totally new? Once they finally update BM for the last time are they gonna disband??

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Looking forward to a proper powerslave release because i tried emulating it a while back and with the awful texture warping that game sure is ugly

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Did any ambitious modders ever recreate/port the Saturn version of Powerslave?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Ti3EAArto

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wonder if that means it's going commercial. Then again, they did have mods at last year's RD.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh hay, Russian Overkill/Trailblazer/Guncaster guy has a new mod he's working on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofAKQ_aE1bI

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Groovelord Neato posted:

If I remember right Tank was OP but nobody seemed to be able to play him right. I played Gunner which was probably busted too but I just liked his abilities.

From what I recall, I would be the lone Tank eating poo poo from every other class and on the flipside if there was a Gunner on the enemy team they would be completely unstoppable.

Though really the only concrete thing I remember from back then was that the meta was to farm up to super mode on Ninja and then just unstoppably roll over the enemy base, which was also dumb as hell.

Well, that and the Support's air strike was bullshit and then they doubled down on making it turbo bullshit in Super.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Black Mesa is pretty neat now that I'm playing it. It has some of the most satisfying weapon feel and sounds I've ever experienced. I think it has my favorite shotgun in an FPS. It translates lots of the areas really well. Some of the enemies can be a pain to fight- the marines sprint at like 40mph, but I guess it wouldn't feel like Half Life if they ran at more realistic & manageable speeds. I'd like to see this team create some more shooters as I want this gunfeel in more games.

It's also weirdly nostalgic in that it's the first game in years where I frequently run into bugs. I once had the tram in the On a Rail-ish sections break down before it reached an elevator. I thought it was a scripted moment, but when I walked through the elevator doors, the doors closed and trapped me in the room without the tram. The elevator didn't move. This happened again later with some tram scripting. I also keep encountering some areas of the game that will run progressively worse and worse until I'm in the Sub-20fps range before it goes back to 100+.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1415808222255108099?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I bought Quake 1 on a whim on the 25th anniversary (and it was dirt loving cheap because of the summer sales) and finally beat it. Episode 4 is a real ball buster. Not really much to say, I think it's certainly more interesting than Quake 2, which I played first years ago, but I don't know if it's better. Surprisingly short game too; I breezed through the first three episodes on a first playthrough and episode 4 was the only one to really give me trouble.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Pennsylvanian posted:

Black Mesa is pretty neat now that I'm playing it. It has some of the most satisfying weapon feel and sounds I've ever experienced. I think it has my favorite shotgun in an FPS. It translates lots of the areas really well. Some of the enemies can be a pain to fight- the marines sprint at like 40mph, but I guess it wouldn't feel like Half Life if they ran at more realistic & manageable speeds. I'd like to see this team create some more shooters as I want this gunfeel in more games.

It's also weirdly nostalgic in that it's the first game in years where I frequently run into bugs. I once had the tram in the On a Rail-ish sections break down before it reached an elevator. I thought it was a scripted moment, but when I walked through the elevator doors, the doors closed and trapped me in the room without the tram. The elevator didn't move. This happened again later with some tram scripting. I also keep encountering some areas of the game that will run progressively worse and worse until I'm in the Sub-20fps range before it goes back to 100+.

I’d like to see them do Opposing Force or Blue Shift but not if it takes another 15 years.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I’d like to see them do Opposing Force or Blue Shift but not if it takes another 15 years.

There's another group of modders calling themselves Tripmine Studios who are working on both Opposing Force (their title is Operation: Black Mesa) and Blue Shift (Guard Duty) at the same time. There's another Blue Shift remake project out there, but they're using Black Mesa's assets while Tripmine are building everything from the ground up for both their projects. Finally there's a third batch of guys out there called PSR Studios who are remaking Decay (Peer Review), and their goal is to rework the premise into something that's a little more enjoyable as a single player-

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
quick and fun little video about Quake from Sandy Petersen;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfwoTuoJln8

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

drrockso20 posted:

quick and fun little video about Quake from Sandy Petersen;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfwoTuoJln8

I hope Romero is posting counter-videos where he warmly greets Sandy then points out he's wrong

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLL037UiQhk

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Betteridge's law of headline does not apply here.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Why (and how) does it take 2½ minutes to say “yes”?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tippis posted:

Why (and how) does it take 2½ minutes to say “yes”?

he says every slur lovecraft ever used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like his stories but dude was considered racist even by early 20th century standards. He was afraid of everyone.