Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Grip it and rip it posted:

Calling cover for a heart attack

Except he's been publicly unable to stop hiccuping for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Motherfuck I just saw pictures of Bagram post-withdrawl

You guys left enough loving kit behind to cover the CAF's annual budget! All those armored vehicles! What the gently caress!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MA-Horus posted:

You guys left enough loving kit behind to cover the CAF's annual budget! All those armored vehicles! What the gently caress!

Is this your first war?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If you're seeking pretrial release for insurrection at the Capitol, I do not recommend this strategy.

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1415325157535756290

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1415327257564942341

And the judge is like "uhhhhhh... I think you need some time to think about your strategy here"

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1415341478428221442

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

It's loving insane.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

If you're seeking pretrial release for insurrection at the Capitol, I do not recommend this strategy.

Lose the pretrial release.

Succeed on the insanity defense.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MA-Horus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm20mOEYJPQ&t=14s

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MA-Horus posted:

Did you not see the mess of poo poo we left behind in Iraq?

And there's a goddamn port there, we could have pulled a bunch of equipment out with relative ease. And there's no easy way of bringing poo poo into Afghanistan, let alone back out.

Kinda makes you think, maybe we should booby trap the equipment before leaving. If they're ultimately going to turn up in Taliban hands, why not make it interesting for the first few days of the abandonment?

Oh wait international laws.

E: you don't even have to booby trap poo poo so much as disable it. Humvees take next to no effort to mechanically disable, and can be done in enough ways to eat up valuable time from truck to truck, making them useless in the initial push.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 14, 2021

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

KirbyKhan posted:

Oops, just saw a dumb comic in the twitter thread and reposted. I express mild regret.

Its ok, you didnt know and now you know.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I believe those trucks are what we would like to call "war trophies" now. To the victors go the spoils.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Did you not see the mess of poo poo we left behind in Iraq?

And there's a goddamn port there, we could have pulled a bunch of equipment out with relative ease. And there's no easy way of bringing poo poo into Afghanistan, let alone back out.

Kinda makes you think, maybe we should booby trap the equipment before leaving. If they're ultimately going to turn up in Taliban hands, why not make it interesting for the first few days of the abandonment?

Oh wait international laws.

Doesn't the US not recognize the applicable treaties?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

We couldn't / didn't do the equivalent of sugar in every gas tank at the least?

e: There isn't like 55g of dip spit on hand to toss inside them etc?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

That Works posted:

We couldn't / didn't do the equivalent of sugar in every gas tank at the least?

e: There isn't like 55g of dip spit on hand to toss inside them etc?

I always thought we did something along these lines. Slag them enough to be useless and non-reverse engineerable

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

hobbesmaster posted:

That's what I was thinking. We tend to not give a gently caress. Why not have some troops rig up some explosives on the motor pool line? Not like we didn't leave a bunch of explosives behind, too.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

I think Land mine treaties is one of those cases where the US and NK were the only refusals.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

Your shirt literally said gently caress rural new england!

It sure would now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess the complication here is that its theoretically all being handed over to an ally.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Special delivery!

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1415361995369590787

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I think Land mine treaties is one of those cases where the US and NK were the only refusals.

Looking over and nodding+thumbs up at each other in the UN

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

I was at Bagram with the band in 2016. We were rehearsing and working out of the offices in the original part of the old Soviet aircraft hangar on the JOC compound. There had been a band hall on Disney at one point, but it got demolished during a previous drawdown somewhere around 2012-2014. People who had been there during that time said they ended up shredding a shitload of music equipment before they left - amps, boards, instruments, lighting racks, thousands upon thousands of dollars of professional level gear all tossed into industrial shredders. They were able to work out some sketchy drug deal type arrangements that got instruments to the Afghan military band and some local schools, and a few officers walked away with amps and guitars, but most of it ended up getting destroyed.

Don't want that trumpet falling into enemy hands.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I always thought we did something along these lines. Slag them enough to be useless and non-reverse engineerable

I mean, let them use them for 150 miles. They'll be useless by then.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KirbyKhan posted:

Oops, just saw a dumb comic in the twitter thread and reposted. I express mild regret.

Its okay, a lot of people are unaware about him.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Loden Taylor posted:

Don't want that trumpet falling into enemy hands.

The Afghanistan war provides plenty of tragedy and shame to go around, but the idea of the US military shredding musical instruments to keep them out of the hands of the poorest people I've ever seen is giving me some pretty heavy sadbrains

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

US Berder Patrol posted:

The Afghanistan war provides plenty of tragedy and shame to go around, but the idea of the US military shredding musical instruments to keep them out of the hands of the poorest people I've ever seen is giving me some pretty heavy sadbrains

I like to think of all the kids who grow up absolutely terrified of clear skies when I feel like getting depressed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

US Berder Patrol posted:

The average american nodding along earnestly with the statement you quoted is pretty sad in its own right

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Water wet lol
https://twitter.com/MaryEmilyOHara/status/1415379797996310528?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's almost as if by design...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It’s gonna be awesome when the housing market tanks and banks buy everything for pennies on the dollar!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Maybe they'll pass on their windfall to the consumers

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

On the upside getting part of this pushed through is good. Downside, the Senate Parliamentarian strikes again!

https://twitter.com/IanKullgren/status/1415396948413239303?s=20

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

boop the snoot posted:

It’s gonna be awesome when the housing market tanks and banks buy everything for pennies on the dollar!

Hey, don't speak ill of your future Neo-Feudal Lords. :colbert:

Everything will be so much simpler when you're paying your rent to the financial entities that have all your money* already! :shepface:

* "your money" is now a trademark of JPMorganChaseWellsFargo, your actual money is an illusion that we allow you to keep believing in. You will own nothing and you will be happy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 14, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

did this person even read the story because, from what I can tell, the article and actual report very clearly use the actual federal and state minimums, and $18 is the current median wage.

maybe it's because I'm mad and depressed about a lot of stuff right now but loving christ I hate it when idiots on social media trip over themselves to post hot takes and get half the loving details wrong in the process, when the actual story is bad enough as it is

e: like here's the actual fact that should be quoted from the article:

quote:

Given each state and locality's minimum wage, the report finds that the average minimum wage worker in the U.S. would need to work nearly 97 hours per week to afford the average two-bedroom home.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Bolsonaro's full of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/Rkrahenbuhl/status/1415400082917167109?s=19

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lol

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

spoilers: he will need emergency surgery

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

shame on an IGA posted:

spoilers: he will need emergency surgery

For hiccups

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Acebuckeye13 posted:

did this person even read the story because, from what I can tell, the article and actual report very clearly use the actual federal and state minimums, and $18 is the current median wage.

maybe it's because I'm mad and depressed about a lot of stuff right now but loving christ I hate it when idiots on social media trip over themselves to post hot takes and get half the loving details wrong in the process, when the actual story is bad enough as it is

e: like here's the actual fact that should be quoted from the article:

I think they're basing their tweet on this quote

quote:

The average hourly worker currently earns $18.78 per hour, the report finds, more than $6 short of the wage needed to afford a two-bedroom rental.

Which comes from the graf just before your quote.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I like to think of all the kids who grow up absolutely terrified of clear skies when I feel like getting depressed

You mean, like, people from Seattle?

"All Of Summer In A Day" used to basically be a documentary. NOT ANYMORE there is no escape from the ever-burning hell-star :smithicide:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Which we frequently get to share with double parked cars and drunk or careless pedestrians. Oh and don’t you dare put in protected cycling lanes because of ~mY sTrEeT pArKiNg~.

It’s really damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I’ve had poo poo thrown at me and drivers try to pick fights with me for actually following the law. Maybe it would be nice if people had a little more empathy for others instead of flying into a murderous rage when confronted with a momentary delay.

I’ve had all this happen to me as a daily bike commuter, including having cars try and purposely hit me (and witnessed other people on bikes hit by them feet away). All the ridiculous irrational bike haters can suck my poo poo through a straw, get back to me when bicycles kill 30,000+ people every year all whilst costing society enormously in actual economic terms, as well as environmentally & socially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kesper North posted:

You mean, like, people from Seattle?

"All Of Summer In A Day" used to basically be a documentary. NOT ANYMORE there is no escape from the ever-burning hell-star :smithicide:

Nah, the kids that grow up with drone strikes