Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

its u :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
It's actually Adolf Schickelgrüber, an Austrian painter of little note.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I was reading an ESPN article about Tom Ammiano today, how after 60+ years, he finally earned his high school varsity track letter. He had earned one in high school, but the school administration decided not to award it to him because of homophobia.

Ammiano went to San Francisco after high school and made a pretty good life for himself. He is said to be the first out teacher in San Francisco and, with Harvey Milk, helped defeat a measure banning homosexual teachers in the state. He later became a state legislator.

Ammiano has written a book, Kiss My Gay rear end. The title is something he yelled at Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger at an event.

Here comes the potential fun fact: You may remember the gently caress YOU acrostic letter Schwarzenegger wrote to signify a veto. It was directed at a bill Ammiano proposed for a San Francisco pier. .

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
War is a good time for crimes. I don't have the exact figure to hand and a cursory google didn't find it.

But some insane number like 1/3rd of the gasoline/cigarette supply landed in Europe by the allied armies was stolen and sold on the black market before it reached the front.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bissonomy and Tubso.

Actually probably not without IRL precedent for ideas of virtues and proper behaviour that have been totally forgotten in practice as both language and belief systems change to the point where all that remains is cryptic references.

The original Buddhist prohibitions against intoxication list 3 specific drugs to avoid. Only one of them is there even a partial understanding what it means. No clue on the other two. Its likely they were actually mixtures used in religious rituals popular at the time which the Buddha was rejecting in much the way he rejected the concept of Atman.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

E:whoops

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

quote:

1:47 In the film that Olof Palme saw on the night he was assassinated, there were three Finnish actors. Why do I know that? Because I read it in the paper. But why did the paper consider it important enough to tell me? I don't understand.

1:54 Another thing I know about Olof Palme's murder and wish I didn't: there was a Finnish rock group playing in a restaurant about fifty yards away. I know because Radio City interviewed the girl who played lead guitar. She described the "fiilis" following the murder, and then the interviewer asked her how the concert had gone apart from that.

(Hardwick, Neil. Hardwick's Sauce eli Neilin tähteet - Pakinoita. 5. p. Helsinki: Tammi 1989. ISBN 951-30-9191-0)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Confirmed:
Rogue Finnish agents assassinated Olaf Palme in revenge for the Swedish occupation of the Torne Valley and it was covered up to avoid all out war between the two nations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Confirmed:
Rogue Finnish agents assassinated Olaf Palme in revenge for the Swedish occupation of the Torne Valley and it was covered up to avoid all out war between the two nations.

Olaf Palme is but one of the no doubt many victims of the late stages of the Finno-Korean Hyper War :(

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Are we still talking about how the Nazis were mostly self-serving incompetent morons and not the genius tacticians WWII fetishists would like to believe? Because Hitler was fuckin' stupid. He was such an inept buffoon that by the end of the war a bunch of his top generals hated him. He's popularly seen as this brilliant, charismatic leader but in reality he was good at giving speeches and took control of a nation that had already been bankrupted by having to pay reparations for a whole-rear end world war. Antisemitism was Europe's favorite pastime and the Jews were a convenient and traditional scapegoat for Germany's ills. The rhetoric used by the Nazis back then is essentially identical to Trumpian rhetoric, although Hitler was notably better at stringing together coherent sentences.

tl/dr: Far from being a brilliant leader who might have conquered Europe if not for one or two mistakes, Hitler was a petty, self-serving, pill-popping pervert who knew how to whip the masses into a frenzy but didn't know poo poo about military strategy.

The Iron Front (militant wing of the Sozialdemokraten) and Antifaschistische Aktion (militant wing of the Communist Party of Germany) might have actually been able to do something if they didn't hate each other more than anything else. Like if they stopped calling each other fascists long enough to do something like fight the actual fascists who were trying to seize power...

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Jul 14, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The Nazis had two things going for them; 1) an unfortunately amazing sense of aesthetic(that as clearly established bit them in the rear end more often than not) and 2) really good PR about how dangerous and powerful they were both internally and from their enemies*

*Allied and Soviet propaganda against the Nazis is actually rather peculiarly bipolar about them, like it'll go from super serious to super silly in a way that can give someone whiplash

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

drrockso20 posted:

The Nazis had two things going for them; 1) an unfortunately amazing sense of aesthetic(that as clearly established bit them in the rear end more often than not) and 2) really good PR about how dangerous and powerful they were both internally and from their enemies*

*Allied and Soviet propaganda against the Nazis is actually rather peculiarly bipolar about them, like it'll go from super serious to super silly in a way that can give someone whiplash

Ya the most competent high-level Nazi was Goebbels, and even he was operating on easy-mode given that radio was a new invention

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

drrockso20 posted:

This is the right way to look at Nazis. Simultaneously a dangerous threat to mankind but also such ridiculous dorks.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya the most competent high-level Nazi was Goebbels, and even he was operating on easy-mode given that radio was a new invention
There were a few—Reinhardt Heydrich was loving scary, for instance.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

canyoneer posted:

This is the right way to look at Nazis. Simultaneously a dangerous threat to mankind but also such ridiculous dorks.

True

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Biplane posted:

Olaf Palme is but one of the no doubt many victims of the late stages of the Finno-Korean Hyper War :(

In actual world the real issue was that Finnish migrant day laborer correctly identified and pointed out the real culprit to the Swedish police, but due to being a Finn he at that time was at best 2nd class citizen. It didn't help that he was laborer, not educated, and a bit drunk since he was leaving a pub at the time.

It also did not help that he identified a Swedish citizen, a local politician, and university graduate who later was kicked out from his party due to his radical views. However, because the only eyewitness was a Finn living in Sweden, the higher authorities ordered the investigators to drop this "ridiculous line of investigation to smudge the honor of this fine young politician". Turns out he was most likely right and they dropped the actual line of investigation because of casual racism over the Finns living in Sweden during the 80's.

Motherf'ing OOPS.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

There were a few—Reinhardt Heydrich was loving scary, for instance.

I read a book the other week that mentioned Heydrich, and that's how I found out that the evil vampire in the cyoa/rpg book I had when I was 10 was named after the head of the gestapo and the architect of the final solution

It's always fun to dunk on Nazis for their tendency to overengineer and let aesthetics and internal politicking dominate the design process, (e: in addition to being, y'know, horrible loving human beings) but they did create one truly successful item, still in use virtually unchanged today: the humble jerry can

(When the US copied the design, they did simplify it and make it a little lighter)

Phy has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Jul 15, 2021

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I saw a guy who built a PC in a jerrycan (obviously he had to make sure it was ridiculously clean first).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Phy posted:

I read a book the other week that mentioned Heydrich, and that's how I found out that the evil vampire in the cyoa/rpg book I had when I was 10 was named after the head of the gestapo and the architect of the final solution

It's always fun to dunk on Nazis for their tendency to overengineer and let aesthetics and internal politicking dominate the design process, (e: in addition to being, y'know, horrible loving human beings) but they did create one truly successful item, still in use virtually unchanged today: the humble jerry can

(When the US copied the design, they did simplify it and make it a little lighter)

The US also copied the German 75 mm gun muzzle brake for their 76 mm guns, although they shaved a couple of kilos off it and made it easier to produce. The USSR copied the Ferdinand's muzzle brake for the IS-2, but only built something like 150 of them before switching to a domestic design.

Some of their stuff was alright, just not the stuff internet nerds obsess over.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

venus de lmao posted:

Are we still talking about how the Nazis were mostly self-serving incompetent morons and not the genius tacticians WWII fetishists would like to believe? Because Hitler was fuckin' stupid. He was such an inept buffoon that by the end of the war a bunch of his top generals hated him.

Hitler made a lot of unsound strategic and tactical decisions, but it wasn’t as bad as his generals made it out to be.

He swallowed a gun, they escaped the noose at Nuremberg, and now they had a free hand to blame all their failings on him.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Platystemon posted:

Hitler made a lot of unsound strategic and tactical decisions, but it wasn’t as bad as his generals made it out to be.

He swallowed a gun, they escaped the noose at Nuremberg, and now they had a free hand to blame all their failings on him.

Ah, the ol' Ludendorff strategy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

During the fast in middle ages people were only allowed to eat fish for forty days and people constantly looked for loopholes:
The dolphin is pretty obvious. It looks like a fish, it lives in the sea. The problem was that it was considered royal food and only kings were allowed to eat it.
Puffins? No one really knew much about them. gently caress it, they're fish now!
There was this myth that barnacle goose grew on trees, which makes them a kinda fruit. Fruit were allowed to eat during fast. In 1215 pope Innocent III put a stop to that with the "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it's not a a loving fruit" edict.
The bible forbids to eat animals born of flesh. Well, rabbit fetuses are not technically born yet.
Beavers kinda have a fish tail and lives in water? The church reluctantly allowed people to eat it's tail.
"I just discovered bisam rats in America, they kinda looks like beavers?" "Okay then:rolleyes:"
(Fun fact: Before landing on filet-o-fish McDonalds considered making beaver and bisam rat burgers).

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Jul 15, 2021

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

drrockso20 posted:

I feel like there's also room in that list for the other perennial weapon in the armoury of fascists: the willingness to start escalating while their enemies are still saying "surely they can't be that insane, can they?"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alhazred posted:

During the fast in middle ages people were only allowed to eat fish for forty days and people constantly looked for loopholes:
The dolphin is pretty obvious. It looks like a fish, it lives in the sea. The problem was that it was considered royal food and only kings were allowed to eat it.
Puffins? No one really knew much about them. gently caress it, they're fish now!
There was this myth that barnacle goose grew on trees, which makes them a kinda fruit. Fruit were allowed to eat during fast. In 1215 pope Innocent III put a stop to that with the "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it's not a a loving fruit" edict.
The bible forbids to eat animals born of flesh. Well, rabbit fetuses are not technically born yet.
Beavers kinda have a fish tail and lives in water? The church reluctantly allowed people to eat it's tail.
"I just discovered bisam rats in America, they kinda looks like beavers?" "Okay then:rolleyes:"
(Fun fact: Before landing on filet-o-fish McDonalds considered making beaver and bisam rat burgers).

Pretty sure this is just a joke, though in fact McDonald's did experiment with a couple different possible sandwiches to sell for Catholics on Fridays and Lent, the fish sandwich won out but Ray Kroc personally was in favor of what he called a Hula Burger(or something along those lines) which was a burger bun with a thick slice of grilled pineapple instead of a hamburger patty and then some cheese as well(probably some sort of sauce too), which probably isn't bad but I can see why they went with the fish sandwich instead

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Alhazred posted:

There's a 1784 Papal Bull that officially confirms that the Capybara is in fact also a fish and may be consumed during lent etc...

Hell, in 2010 the Archbishop of New Orleans stated that Alligators are also fish. That's right 2010, the Catholic Church is still doing this poo poo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

RagnarokZ posted:

That's right forever and always, the Catholic Church is still doing this poo poo.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

RagnarokZ posted:

There's a 1784 Papal Bull that officially confirms that the Capybara is in fact also a fish and may be consumed during lent etc...

Hell, in 2010 the Archbishop of New Orleans stated that Alligators are also fish. That's right 2010, the Catholic Church is still doing this poo poo.

No see, the alligator's accidents are those of a reptile, but it’s substance is that of a fish, and furthermore

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I mean, it's not like there's a particularly good taxonomic definition of fish either.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hilariously the nazis are kinda :umberto: but real. Cartoonish villain buffoons who were also actual threats, and killed millions upon millions of people.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Whybird posted:

I feel like there's also room in that list for the other perennial weapon in the armoury of fascists: the willingness to start escalating while their enemies are still saying "surely they can't be that insane, can they?"

Yeah that book I read was about William Dodd, the first US ambassador to the Nazi government, and the whole thing reads like

"Surely the Nazis won't do this?"
*the Nazis do that*

For 300 pages while Dodd slowly sinks into despair trying to Reasonable Man at unreasonable people

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Phy posted:

Yeah that book I read was about William Dodd, the first US ambassador to the Nazi government, and the whole thing reads like

*the Nazis do that*

For 300 pages while Dodd slowly sinks into despair trying to Reasonable Man at unreasonable people

Ambassador on behalf of the country that inspired the Nazis

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Surely they won't actually do this, and in reverse, fear that they might actually do this. I like wanna say something about modern day voting rights etc. but not the place I guess.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Phy posted:

*the Nazis do that*

Oh poo poo what was this book called again? If it’s by Eric Larsen I read it a few years ago, been meaning to find it again.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's the one, In The Garden Of Beasts

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If Hitler had gotten into art school or died in WW1 someone more competent would probably have taken his place. The societal forces were there looking for an outlet.

Similar to how Obama paved the way to a Trump presidency by failing to address any of the real issues.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

doverhog posted:

If Hitler had gotten into art school or died in WW1 someone more competent would probably have taken his place. The societal forces were there looking for an outlet.

Yeah, but that competent someone could have been Rosa Luxemburg.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

doverhog posted:

Similar to how Obama paved the way to a Trump presidency by failing to address any of the real issues.

Stephen Fry wrote an alternative history novel, Making History, in which Hitler never existed and someone worse took his place. It’s been a long time since I read it but I remember quite liking it.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

venus de lmao posted:

Ambassador on behalf of the country that inspired the Nazis

Nah. America inspired the pseudoscientific approach to eugenics that the Nazis loved, but the virulent antisemitism, fetishtic militarism, insane nationalism (that is different from the also bizarre American Exceptionallism that the thirties were still under) and a million other things are very much Old World concepts that brew over centuries.

Willing to give America full credit for the current era of paranoia and xenophobia, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

doverhog posted:

It seems like a reasonable guess that there would have been an authoritarian swing in Germany, but I think on some level this absolves Hitler, or even makes him some sort of rear end-backwards good guy. You could have had some dude who was the second coming of Bismarck, who just punches France in the mouth, carves a chunk off of Poland, etc. and WWII would have been completely different, or indeed not "WWII" at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sobatchja Morda posted:

virulent antisemitism ... very much Old World concepts that brew over centuries.

I took a Gothic arts and architecture course and one lecture went over the treatment of Jews in the medieval period mainly in France and Germany... Oh my god, it was loving disheartening how regular violence against Jews and the surge cycle of animosity against them was. A kid falls down a well or gets murdered and everyone was like hey two birds with one stone, we can get out our anxiety and fear and also discharge our debts with Jewish lenders